Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 6th Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for the iPad my dog broke?
    • 6th Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for the iPad my dog broke? 6th Apr 17 at 4:18 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My neighbours looked after my dog while I was away for a few days. During that time, he knocked their iPad off a chair, causing the screen to break. Should I offer to pay for it to be repaired?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Nick; 06-04-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Page 2
    • meknowalot-51
    • By meknowalot-51 12th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    meknowalot-51
    Pay nothing.
    "My neighbours looked after my dog",thats what you say and i would have to disagree.If they allow a dog to run around or walk around their house then it's 100% their responsibility to ensure nothings in danger of being broken.Also it's equally their responsibilty to ensure the dogs safety,so in both cases they should pay.If for example the dog got out and ran into the road causing an accident,who would be to blame?None of this is your fault,when they started looking after your dog(as they agreed to do)they took full responsibility.The i pad can be claimed off their contents ins.and they can pay the vet bill.Don't EVER let them look after your kids.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 12th Apr 17, 12:01 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    crmism
    Dog and phone
    It seems like your neighbours were doubly careless to leave a phone on a chair where your dog could reach it, and then to leave a fork lying around on the floor. Such things can occur any time, anywhere, however, even by people who look after their belongings, and it's quite possible that your dog was misbehaving.

Lesson one is not to leave your dog with them again, and thereby avoid the possibility of further incidents. Lesson two is to pay up for the phone repair and vet's bill - careless though your neighbours might have been, they were doing you a good turn by looking after it and, had you not left your dog with them, none of this would have happened.

Whatever you do, don't blame the dog.
    • mac9091
    • By mac9091 12th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mac9091
    No i don't think you should be responsible for your dog breaking their Ipad. It is their responsibility to ensure that their property is looked after.

That said, i then say that the vets bill is your responsibility as your are responsible for your dogs well being.You should have pet insurance in case things like this happen. Just like they should have home insurance (is the claim financially smart is another issue)
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 5,866 Posts
    • 7,618 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I think you should offer to pay. They were doing you a favour, and presumably they are not used to having the dog in their house so wouldn't necessarily be in the mind set of keeping it 'dog proof'

It would be unreasonable if they were out of pocket as a result of doing you a favour.

If they were professional dog-sitters it would be different, but as they are not, then you should pay.

The vet bill should be covered by your pet insurance and again, this sounds like an accident, they should not have to pay for that.

In future, you can always chose to use a professional dog-sitter, put the dog in kennels or take it with you.
    • stattman
    • By stattman 12th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stattman
    I think this is really simple.

See what it is will rectify the situation. So there's no point trying to second guess what the outcome is.

What are you happy to see as the outcome and what is it they want?

If there a gap, then figure out how to compromise. Like I said it's not difficult.

If you find it easier to meet their expectations, but are not happy about it, Then tell them! You'll do x, y, z, but then make sure they know it's going to have an impact elsewhere... (on the friendship or whatever). I'd make a fuss about the size of the vet's bill. !

Next time try the kennels - less hastle and they have public liability insurance. ! Good Luck.
    • 001LJ
    • By 001LJ 12th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    001LJ
    My parents visited my house and I specifically told my dad not to leave his shoes on the floor as the dog WOULD chew them, dad forgot and the shoes got chewed. I immediately offered to replace but my dad would not accept, he was aware of the behavioural issue and ignored my instruction, he was happy to replace himself.
    The next time he visited, he kept his shoes safe, but left his brand new electric shaver on the floor, the dog destroyed it. I again offered to pay, he would not accept as he blamed himself for leaving something within the dogs reach.
    We then visited my dads house with the dog, this time he dog chewed the brand brand new replacement shaver. I immediately offered again to pay for this, but again my dad refused, he had let the dog in to his house and left something lying around, he considered it his fault.
    HOWEVER....my dad did not offer to pay for vet checkup or X-ray fees, nor would I have asked him to. My dog, my responsibility!
    • Hodgie
    • By Hodgie 12th Apr 17, 2:09 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Hodgie
    Dog's Life
    Your neighbours have admitted that your dog trod on a fork. As they agreed to look after it, whether for gain or not, they are negligent.

You only have their word that the dog caused damage to the tablet. It (the tablet) must have been left in a precarious position otherwise it wouldn't have been knocked off. That ain't the dog's or your fault.

That's playing devil's advocate but I'd suggest that you pay the vet's bill and let the neighbour pay for the repair.

That was you needn't lose friends just over a dog.
    • JuliusCaesar
    • By JuliusCaesar 12th Apr 17, 2:33 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    JuliusCaesar
    Give a dog a bone
    Your neighbours were doing you a favour. What did they get out of it?

Next time your dog needs a holiday, put yourself into kennels.
    • terill
    • By terill 12th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    terill
    I think this is a case of the right answer not being the best answer. If your dog ran into the neighbours house uninvited and broke the iPad then no question you should pay. However they were looking after the dog at the time so really it's up to them to pay. However, if they look after your dog a lot and save you £100s in kennel fees over the year then you should pay. It is only the screen which won't be too expensive to fix. If not they prob won't help you out in future so will cost you more in long run. Also, I don't think it's fair to expect them to pay for vets fees. A fork accidentally dropped on the floor (may even have been the dog knocked it off a table) shouldn't be a course for suing. Suck it up, pay for the screen, keep your friendship and tell yourself it's cheaper in the long run to do it this way.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Apr 17, 4:15 PM
    • 13,159 Posts
    • 13,473 Thanks
    zx81
    Split both the repair bill and the dog in half.
    • marich
    • By marich 12th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    marich
    More fiction ?
    A dog's foot injured by standing on a fork ! Mon cul !

Sounds like another desperate MSE "What'll it be this week".

Broken screen - tough luck or carelessness ? Sounds like they won't be Woof-sitting next time . Do you believe them ? Was it their child blaming the dog ? All sounds very lame...
    • Sasha070
    • By Sasha070 12th Apr 17, 5:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sasha070
    Sasha070
    When your neighbour agreed to look after your dog they accepted the responsibility to care for it. Where they negligent in leaving the i-pad lying around - maybe. Where they negligent in leaving a fork on the floor for your dog to stand on - in my opinion, yes. Do you want to stay on good terms with your neighbour. I hope so. Suck it up and pay for the damage. In future leave the dog with a professional or at least someone with experience in looking after dogs.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 2,652 Thanks
    sheramber
    Do you want o maintain good relations with your neighbour? If you do then come to an agreement with them over who pays?
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 12th Apr 17, 10:34 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    What age are your neighbours?

Are they young or elderly?

Do they have other responsibilities - such as young children? Or elderly relatives to also look after?

How busy are they?

Did you ask them to look after your dog or did they offer to?

Were they paid for looking after your dog?

Did you give them a gift for looking after your dog?

Do you want to maintain a good relationship with your neighbours?

All of these need answering before I can give a good answer!
    • Petnurse
    • By Petnurse 12th Apr 17, 11:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Petnurse
    Do you have pet insurance? If so, you may be able to claim under the third party liability part of your cover. There will be an excess to pay though. Might be cheaper to pay for repair/new screen?
    • Cimscate
    • By Cimscate 13th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Cimscate
    Quite difficult as no-one wants to fall out with their neighbours. I don't think you can reasonably ask them to pay the vet bill as it is your dog; however they seem rather careless leaving Ipads and forks around where the dog can get to them.

If it was me and I'd left the Ipad around I don't think I'd even mention it as would see it as my fault but if they are asking for you to pay the bill then do it for the sake of neighbourliness.

Next time put the dog in kennels where they WILL be responsible for damage or injuries as you are paying them to look after the dog in a professional capacity.
    • horsendoggirl
    • By horsendoggirl 19th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    horsendoggirl
    for all those saying there is no mention of vets fees I can categorically tell you that if you visit a vet there WILL be fees even if no treatment is given !!!
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 21st Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    gaving7095
    Whilst it's not your fault (or arguably even the dog's) that the iPad got damaged I think the "right" thing to do would be for you to pay for the repair, so as this forum covers people's opinions on morality, there's your answer from me :-)

Regarding the fork incident, that's just your bad luck IMO. Arguably the fault of careless "pet sitters" (backed up by poor iPad placement), as it is also, arguably, the fault of a clumsy dog.
    Isn't your dog insured? You seem to care for its wellbeing so I would get it insured if I were you. You'll also be liable if it (for example) escapes & damages property so get insurance which would also cover that.

If the pet sitters were kind-hearted they would offer to pay the vet bill but the question as raised regards YOUR morality, not theirs.
    In point of fact they did an exceptionally poor job & should pay out of shame alone, also not ask for the iPad repair bill but hey-ho not everybody shares the same moral values do they?!
    Probably best to learn from it & just put the dog in kennels next time. None of this would have happened and, if it did, none of it would be for you to pay for.
    • Grabs39
    • By Grabs39 24th Apr 17, 7:17 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Grabs39
    Pay for the screen to be repaired. It was your dog, so it's your fault. The neighbour saved potentially hundreds in home boarding (we pay about £25 a day for home boarding) so it's only fair that you fix anything your dog broke (it would be different if you were paying a dog sitter to look after the dog).

Also will insurance cover it? You have to pay the excess, but our pet insurance covers damage to 3rd parties property, or their home insurance might cover accidental damage?
    • RedMonty
    • By RedMonty 27th Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    RedMonty
    I really want to know - out of the people offering advice on this thread - who is a pet owner? I would disregard the advice from non-pet owners.

As a pet owner myself (unwillingly - my kids and other half wanted cats, I didn't), I strongly advise at the very least offering to pay 100% for both bills - the iPad and the vet. (You can try researching cheap but reliable places for ipad repair.) If the neighbour offers to split the ipad bill, that's great but don't expect it.

When you take on owning a pet, you become responsible for it. Breaking stuff is a part of pet ownership. If you had a toddler and it broke your friend's iPad, it's your responsibility to offer to pay. Vet bills are also your responsibility and come with pet ownershop. You could have chosen to take out vet insurance, but didn't, presumably to save on the monthly fees. Time to dip into your pocket and pay out on your gamble of not taking out vet insurance.

The neighbour did you a huge favour of looking after your dog and shouldn't be out of pocket. Think ahead - if you cover costs this time, they have learned lessons, and might be willing to look after your dog again in future. If they do this two or three times a year, then you will come out way, way ahead on kennel fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin