Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 6th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 146Posts
    • 55Thanks
    MSE Faye
    Supreme Court: Parents CAN'T take kids on term-time holiday without risking a fine
    • 6th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    Supreme Court: Parents CAN'T take kids on term-time holiday without risking a fine 6th Apr 17 at 9:59 AM
    Justices ruled against Jon Platt, a father who'd refused to pay a fine for taking his daughter out of school...
    Read the full story:
    'Supreme Court: Parents CAN'T take kids on term-time holiday without risking a fine'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 8
    • x-caitlin-x
    • By x-caitlin-x 9th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    x-caitlin-x
    I am so tired of this argument. We took our kids camping every year but some years my husband didn't get leave approved during school holidays. It wasn't about money, it wasn't about going abroad, it was about spending a couple of weeks together doing things we liked.
    Originally posted by mumps
    I notice you ignored the later part of my post, which specifically addressed this point:

I think there should be exceptions for families who genuinely can't take annual leave during term time because their jobs don't allow it, because family time is important.
    Originally posted by x-caitlin-x
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Apr 17, 2:26 PM
    • 19,292 Posts
    • 31,131 Thanks
    Spendless
    I think there should be exceptions for families who genuinely can't take annual leave during term time because their jobs don't allow it, because family time is important. Otherwise, people should either send their kids to school and follow the rules accordingly, or take their kids out and homeschool them.

ETA: I don't think individual headteachers should make the decision. There's too much room for inconsistency. There should be a clearly defined set of criteria for when an absence can be authorised, applied nationally.
    Originally posted by x-caitlin-x
    My area does allow this. You have to produce written confirmation from your employer this is the case. My area doesn't have 'attending a close relatives wedding abroad' A nearby county has the exceptional circs as the opposite way round, so you can attend a wedding abroad but can't go away without fining if a parent can't get the school hols off.

My own area used to have 'when a holiday was recommended by a health care professional as recuperation from physical or emotional injury or trauma' but it's been taken away. Other areas have never has it.

I agree that there should be a national definition, but you wouldn't be able to think of every potential scenario, which is why the HT should be able to decide and make the distinction between a 5yo whose parent has been told their terminal going on a break before the last round of treatment or admittance to a hospice kicks in and a 16yo wanting to go away just before GCSEs start.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 9th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    Loz01
    Our neighbour asked for a week off for her son for a family reunion in Italy. School said no. Another member of the same family who goes to the same school applied.... and they said yes. So where's the logic in these situations as to who gets given a yes and who gets told no? She asked why the family member had been approved for the exact same dates and pointed out her kid had a higher attendance and the headteacher shrugged and said that's the way it goes!!! Madness. She would've been better off calling him in sick for 5 days.
    I get up when I'm down, I can't swim but my soul won't drown, I do believe, I got flair, I got speed and I walk on air
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    • 19,292 Posts
    • 31,131 Thanks
    Spendless
    Our neighbour asked for a week off for her son for a family reunion in Italy. School said no. Another member of the same family who goes to the same school applied.... and they said yes. So where's the logic in these situations as to who gets given a yes and who gets told no? She asked why the family member had been approved for the exact same dates and pointed out her kid had a higher attendance and the headteacher shrugged and said that's the way it goes!!! Madness. She would've been better off calling him in sick for 5 days.
    Originally posted by Loz01
    Was this Primary or Secondary school and was the child told no in a higher school year than the one told yes?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Apr 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 2,426 Thanks
    sheramber
    Nobody has yet come up with an answer on how to impose this "fairer pricing structure". Do you have any suggestions? How about a percent or two on income tax to subsidise a summer holiday for everyone?
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    If nobody took these dearer holidays they would soon reduce the price. It is always supply and demand- no demand and the price would come down.
    • SandC
    • By SandC 9th Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 5,560 Thanks
    SandC
    That's what I think Sheramber. I made a point earlier that all inclusive holidays, often aimed at families, increase in cost as much and more than self catering and b&b hols..... so people are also paying far more in peak times for food and drink not just flights and accommodation.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 9th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    Loz01
    Was this Primary or Secondary school and was the child told no in a higher school year than the one told yes?
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Secondary school, her child is year 8 I think and the other child was year 10. Year 10 child was the one given permission.
    I get up when I'm down, I can't swim but my soul won't drown, I do believe, I got flair, I got speed and I walk on air
    • leespot
    • By leespot 18th Apr 17, 11:29 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    leespot
    That's what I think Sheramber. I made a point earlier that all inclusive holidays, often aimed at families, increase in cost as much and more than self catering and b&b hols..... so people are also paying far more in peak times for food and drink not just flights and accommodation.
    Originally posted by SandC
    Very true. We've been looking for a trip in the May holidays. To travel within the week and be back at school on the Monday the trip is £2500, but to come back on the Tuesday night landing Wednesday morning is £1500 for the same holiday.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 19th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    harz99
    Very true. We've been looking for a trip in the May holidays. To travel within the week and be back at school on the Monday the trip is £2500, but to come back on the Tuesday night landing Wednesday morning is £1500 for the same holiday.
    Originally posted by leespot
    Worth the fine then! Not being rude but just do it or don't, the choice is straitforward.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 19th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10,863 Posts
    • 20,172 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Nobody has yet come up with an answer on how to impose this "fairer pricing structure". Do you have any suggestions? How about a percent or two on income tax to subsidise a summer holiday for everyone?
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Now, I know you're surely kidding!

Why would anyone, apart from some of the usual, "Me, me, I want" society that we live in today, think, that people who choose to have children, obviously as a lifestyle choice, should be subsidised for their family holidays, one iota, by those that don't!
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 19-04-2017 at 6:00 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter