Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 5th Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    • 7,221Posts
    • 10,146Thanks
    KxMx
    0 WOW
    Supermarket crates
    • 5th Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    0 WOW
    Supermarket crates 5th Apr 17 at 1:36 PM
    Am looking to buy half a dozen crates like the supermarkets use for home delivery, i believe they are called "bale arm crates".

I have looked online but most places seem to be geared up for wholesale bulk orders.

Anyone ordered them as a single customer?
    Cheers.
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 5th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,277 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 5th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 5th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    My Asda delivery man said they are called tote boxes or bale arm boxes

These look exactly like supermarket ones http://www.totebox.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=219&osCsid=a9bb69aaf6 6b54587cac4b24a7995d2f

http://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/plastic-boxes-and-pallets/stack-and-nest-plastic-containers/
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Daveahare99
    • By Daveahare99 8th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Daveahare99
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    Strange post to find. I know this is from a few months ago but it would good if anyone else who’s looking for them finds this.

Yes they are called tote boxes. Bottom line - you don't need to pay for them in my experience. They are a freebie. I think companies have large surpluses of them. There like shipping pallets it costs more to store or take them away than it does to give them away.

I only know this as end of last year I was moving house and the company next to me has hundreds stacked outside and in skips. I just asked them nicely and they gave me 10 for free and confirmed the above. They were a bit worn but for free its great.

http://valdamarkdirect.com/

Not sure how common this is but if your in the Manchester area and can collect its well worth asking as its win win for both.

Cheers
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 14th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    • 14th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 14th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    Strange that Asda got a mention because a few weeks ago I had an Asda delivery and the delivery person wanted to leave 4 plastic bale arm crates in my porch. He did claim that they would be picked up on my next delivery but I think that was just a way of offering them so they could be "conveniently" forgotten. I declined because I did not want them.

Maybe a home delivery and if you mention that they look like useful crates, they might give them to you, especially as they seem to like to dispose of them.
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 14th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 14th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 14th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    I had a delivery arrive late a few months ago and the driver was happy just to leave the crates in my hall and said that they would pick up on another delivery. Guess they must have forgot ! - coming in rather handy for storage in shed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter