Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LaurenO98
    • By LaurenO98 4th Apr 17, 10:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LaurenO98
    Car Insurance- Students
    • 4th Apr 17, 10:33 PM
    Car Insurance- Students 4th Apr 17 at 10:33 PM
    I am a student living away from home (5 hours away to be precise).
    When I moved to University I decided to sell my car rather than continue to incur the costs of running the car.
    However now I cannot drive when I am home due to not being insured on a car.
    Is there a way where I can either find cost effective temporary insurance for when I am home? Easter, summer, Christmas etc. Or is it possible to have two separate insurance policies for one vehicle?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 10,045 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    • 4th Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    Yes you can have your own policy providing the original insurer are happy with that.

Is it cost effective? probably not.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 4th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    huckster
    • 4th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    • 4th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    You mean insured to drive your parents car when you are back home.

Check temporary insurers such as Dayinsure to see if you meet their criteria. In theory they insure you to drive vehicles owned by someone else.

And ask your parents to get a quote for temporary additional driver to their policies.
    • LaurenO98
    • By LaurenO98 19th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LaurenO98
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    WIll the additional policy have to be with the same insurance provider?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th Apr 17, 4:00 AM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 10,045 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:00 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:00 AM
    No. probably still be cheaper to hire a car.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

8,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin