Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 4th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 452Thanks
    Bumblebear
    The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread
    • 4th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread 4th Apr 17 at 1:24 PM
    Hello all

I am totally prepared for this idea to sink like a lead brick but I wonder if there is a place for a thread where those of us that are being thrifty with our groceries for whatever reason, challenge, or just because, can ask for suggestions of things to do with our unloved ingredients. You know, that dusty packet of dried-unsulphered-unicorn-snow-berries of whatever it was we thought was a good idea to purchase for that amazing looking dish you saw in the Sunday paper 'lifestyle' (cringe!) supplement, never did use and now languishes at the back of the cupboard along with a pot of fenugreek from 1992.

There are some fantastic, thrifty, family cooks on here and I for one would love to tap into some of your knowledge and experience. I think I do pretty well on turning empty cupboards into meals, choosing value ingredients with a multitude of purposes; but I am human, and I am of the generation where "home economics" consisted of making fairy cakes and mini pizzas for a couple of weeks. Therefore I have unloved packets of stuff, they are always there on the top shelf (where little me can't reach), and they are never destined to find a use but I can't bring myself to throw away (been too poor, too many times for that!).

In the interests of trying to make this work; my first kitchen cupboard bugbear is a bag of linseeds. It is a big bag, I could add a few to muesli, on the occasions we buy muesli, but that alone isn't going to get rid of my linseed problem! Any suggestions please?
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage )
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
Page 7
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 1st May 17, 9:52 PM
    • 9,432 Posts
    • 55,677 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    I suggest you make a coconut, gherkin and chestnut quiche and serve it with a salad with a ricotta dressing.
    Originally posted by Cloth of Gold
    I suppose you could make a cheesecake thing using the ricotta, coconut milk powder and chestnut stuff, could turn out interesting, especially with chocolate added. Gawd knows what you would do with the gherkins, though!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 1st May 17, 11:23 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    Seriously now, you can use the chestnuts in a casserole, especially a venison one, although it's getting a bit warm for casseroles now.
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 2nd May 17, 11:11 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    I usually make lemon curd with egg yolks. Doesn't take long and is fantastic as a cake filling or just on bread
    Originally posted by Livelongandprosper

My guys love leon curd .. can I ask how to make it please .. I can see im going to be one very popular mam lol
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 2nd May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    My guys love leon curd .. can I ask how to make it please .. I can see im going to be one very popular mam lol
    Originally posted by mumofthetwins
    I don't have my mother's recipe I'm afraid and I've never made it myself. From what I recall, Nigel Slater's recipe looks like how my mother made it, except she used a double saucepan rather than a bowl over a saucepan. Anyway, I'm sure it will be a good recipe. Let us know if you make it and what it's like.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/07/nigel-slater-lemon-curd-recipes
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 2nd May 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 6,552 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I hope that it helps for you Lame Wolf. I don't want to be accused of giving medical advice but I've been having trouble with wearing my contact lenses recently and I really sympathise with you having dry eyes all of the time.
    PS. The lemon juice is just my way of adding some vitamin C to my diet.
    Last edited by Eenymeeny; 02-05-2017 at 3:56 PM.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 2nd May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,709 Thanks
    Primrose
    I use bread slowly so put loaves into the freezer. I use it for poached egg on toast in the morning but don't like the enders for toast. I've recently noticed that I have quite a collection of enders building up in the freezer. I have about 20 slices now

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with them. I'm loathed to throw them out.
    Originally posted by bumpercars99
    Turn them into garlic croutons. They're great for garnishing soups, sprinkling over mixed salads to add a crunchy texture, or just to eat as snacks instead of crisps.

Slice all the crust ends into thin strips then cut crossways to turn them into small cubes.
    Finely chop several cloves of garlic.
    Put chopped garlic into a big bowl or saucepan and add a dollop of olive oil or sunflower oil. (Amount of oil will depend on how many bread cubes you have).
    Add the bread cubes., stir around gently until they're lightly coated in oil.
    Spread out flat on a baking tray, sprinkle with a little salt and cook for 10-15 minutes in a hot oven until crispy.
    Store in an airtight container.

If you don't like garlic, just coat the bread cubes with oil and omit the garlic but they won,t be as tasty! You could also dust a very light sprinkling of dried herbs to the cubes before putting in the oven.
    Last edited by Primrose; 02-05-2017 at 8:27 PM.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 2nd May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    The hairy bikers done a chestnut and mushroom pie on their comfort food series. The recipe is on the BBC good food site still. I've not made the pie, but that pastry they use is out of this world ( I use it on steak pie)

Ricotta, cheesecake or pasta sauce base

The gherkins, Jamie uses them in stroganoff

No idea for coconut powder, perhaps in a Thai curry
    • kaz13
    • By kaz13 4th May 17, 12:25 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    kaz13
    My friend has given me 5 x 'pots of joy' cadburys chocolate caramel mousse, they are a few days out of date, it taste fine. I've tipped it all in a tub together In the fridge, as neither my husband or I like eating it as a mousse.
    So I'm wondering what I can do with it ? Any suggestions
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th May 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,709 Thanks
    Primrose
    My friend has given me 5 x 'pots of joy' cadburys chocolate caramel mousse, they are a few days out of date, it taste fine. I've tipped it all in a tub together In the fridge, as neither my husband or I like eating it as a mousse.
    So I'm wondering what I can do with it ? Any suggestions
    Originally posted by kaz13

Would you like the texture any better if you froze it and ate it as a type of ice cream? Or perhaps trying to whip it up until it's more liquid and pouring it over ice cream or some kind of milk based dish like semolina?
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 4th May 17, 11:05 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I have tried Nargleblast's chocolates, made with 2 tbsps coconut oil, 2 tbsps honey, melted together in a pan, with vanilla essence and 5 tbsps cocoa beaten in. They set very well, to a firm fudge consistency. I have deep silicone ice cube trays so got 6 chocolates out of this.

Four left, I ate two smaller ones - and gosh, they are lovely.
    They are so much more than the sum of their parts. If you don't like dark chocolate you really won't like these. I far prefer dark chocolate so was in a minor heaven.
    I will make these with my teenage grandchildren who still don't mind cooking with their Nan, and probably double the quantity for them. For myself the smaller quantity as stated really will be enough, I didn't see how it could be initially, but they are so rich.
    Really worth a go. Thanks again, Nargleblast.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    Florence J
    I plan on trying those chocolates too this weekend
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2110.15
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 5th May 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I have posted this link elsewhere on MSE so apologies if you have seen it, but I came across some very good Nigel Slater recipes for different ways of spaghetti earlier. My DS loves Spag Bol so we had it weekly when he was at home.

He's been in his own place for a couple of years, and Spag Bol has dropped away, not quite totally off the menu but I am not as big a fan.

I have some spaghetti sat in the cupboard that could be used up more imaginatively so this was a welcome discovery (Guardian website).
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • 9,432 Posts
    • 55,677 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    McCulloch so glad the chocolate recipe turned out well for you, it's a bit like eating some posh 85% dark chocolate that costs an arm and a leg in the shops. Also you know what is in it, no chemical nasties. Now take that recipe and play with it at your leisure!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th May 17, 4:17 PM
    • 9,432 Posts
    • 55,677 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Incidentally, credit where it's due, I got the idea from a blog by a lady who combines budget shopping and cooking with trying to feed her family healthy stuff. Google Lady Choppington's Shopping Wagon.
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 7th May 17, 6:10 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    I have a bag of frozen brussel sprouts that have been taking up freezer space sense Christmas any idea what I can do with these ? I am vegetarian.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,709 Thanks
    Primrose
    For a quick supper you could boil them lightly, cover with with a Cheese sauce made with some good mature cheddar and sprinkle over some toasted pine nuts. Serve with some crusty bread if you want some carbohydrate.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 3,676 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I have some vegetarian mince, probably just enough for one person but don't want to waste a entire jar of pasta sauce to make spaghetti bolognaise/chilli

Trying to think of something else that can go with it and still fill me up.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 7th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I have some vegetarian mince, probably just enough for one person but don't want to waste a entire jar of pasta sauce to make spaghetti bolognaise/chilli

Trying to think of something else that can go with it and still fill me up.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    It's not very original but how about cottage pie? I mix cheese in with the mash to make it more interesting.
    Or deconstruct the pie and have mince and tatties, mince and onion in gravy with mashed potato.

Burgers made by binding the mince with egg, finely chopped onion, a crumbled stock cube and a bit of flour.

I'm sure others have more exciting ideas. I do mostly use my veggie mince for spag bol, chilli and cottage pie, so am a bit stretched here.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 7th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    Towser
    I make leftover pie, a sort of bubble and squeak.

I regularly make it from a roast dinner. Put all the ingredients leftover from the dinner into food processor and mash lightly with sharp blade so the meat is in bitesize pieces with grated cheese. Turn into shallow baking dish and put more grated cheese on top & baked till cheese is gooiey. My husband says mmm what have I done to deserve this? As in it is really good.

Another one, was gammon, cauliflower cheese and dauphinoise potatoes
    all into food processor and chopped lightly with sharp blade so the meat is in small pieces with grated cheese. Turn into shallow baking dish and put cooked penne pasta then more grated cheese on top & baked till cheese is gooiey. . Another lovely leftover pie. Again went down as a treat.

So basically all leftovers into food processor and chopped lightly with sharp blade so the meat is in small pieces with grated cheese. Turn into shallow baking dish and put more grated cheese on top & baked till cheese is gooiey. . Another lovely leftover pie.

I suppose it's like baby food with cheese on top.
    • Daisy Rainbow
    • By Daisy Rainbow 5th Dec 17, 11:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Daisy Rainbow
    In the interests of money saving I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that you lovely lot can give me some tasty & interesting suggestions on what to do with this random selection of weirdness...

Buckwheat - raw and toasted - I love this but am stuck for ideas as I usually make salads, which I'm not fancying atm
    Moringa Powder - hideous, any suggestions for hiding the taste?
    Cassava flour
    Coconut flour
    6 individual bags of frozen smoothie mix (apart from smoothies due to lack of sunshine in this part of the world)
    A tin of smoked oysters, and one of smoked mussels

Couscous - not strange I know, but I have realised that I cant stand the stuff. It tastes like the bottom of budgies cage. I only bought it because I was trying to be all frugal and make cheap work lunches. Does anyone have a magic spell to transform it into something halfway edible please?

I have most herbs, spices, flavourings etc and there isn't a lot I don't like (except tinned smoked shellfish, see above)

That's just for starters, there are loads more unspeakable delights to test you

Any suggestions welcome thanks guys
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter