Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 4th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 438Thanks
    Bumblebear
    The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread
    • 4th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread 4th Apr 17 at 1:24 PM
    Hello all

I am totally prepared for this idea to sink like a lead brick but I wonder if there is a place for a thread where those of us that are being thrifty with our groceries for whatever reason, challenge, or just because, can ask for suggestions of things to do with our unloved ingredients. You know, that dusty packet of dried-unsulphered-unicorn-snow-berries of whatever it was we thought was a good idea to purchase for that amazing looking dish you saw in the Sunday paper 'lifestyle' (cringe!) supplement, never did use and now languishes at the back of the cupboard along with a pot of fenugreek from 1992.

There are some fantastic, thrifty, family cooks on here and I for one would love to tap into some of your knowledge and experience. I think I do pretty well on turning empty cupboards into meals, choosing value ingredients with a multitude of purposes; but I am human, and I am of the generation where "home economics" consisted of making fairy cakes and mini pizzas for a couple of weeks. Therefore I have unloved packets of stuff, they are always there on the top shelf (where little me can't reach), and they are never destined to find a use but I can't bring myself to throw away (been too poor, too many times for that!).

In the interests of trying to make this work; my first kitchen cupboard bugbear is a bag of linseeds. It is a big bag, I could add a few to muesli, on the occasions we buy muesli, but that alone isn't going to get rid of my linseed problem! Any suggestions please?
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage )
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
Page 4
    • Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 12th Apr 17, 12:54 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Bumblebear
    Hi Florence

Sounds like you've sorted your apple sauce, but if it's just plain apples I use it for overnight oats. I've got a jar in the cupboard for that very purpose. My issue is remembering to combine the two the night before I'm going to make that my Easter resolution for the weekend

Ideas for red wine vinegar anyone? It's out of date, but considering it's just out of date wine I have no issue with this! I am slowly using up my white wine vinegar and cider vinegar in sauces etc - I don't think I use any of them enough to warrant purchasing again.
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage )
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 12th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Hi Florence

Sounds like you've sorted your apple sauce, but if it's just plain apples I use it for overnight oats. I've got a jar in the cupboard for that very purpose. My issue is remembering to combine the two the night before I'm going to make that my Easter resolution for the weekend

Ideas for red wine vinegar anyone? It's out of date, but considering it's just out of date wine I have no issue with this! I am slowly using up my white wine vinegar and cider vinegar in sauces etc - I don't think I use any of them enough to warrant purchasing again.
    Originally posted by Bumblebear
    I use it in salad dressings

- red wine vinegar
    - double the amount of olive oil as the vinegar
    - salt
    - mustard
    - pepper

shake all together.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 25,378 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Frozen double cream, just frozen in the carton, any ideas please? I understand that it will not be any good for whipping, but can it be made into butter or anything, or should I just scrap it?
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 13th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 12,044 Posts
    • 11,441 Thanks
    Chris25
    Frozen double cream, just frozen in the carton, any ideas please? I understand that it will not be any good for whipping, but can it be made into butter or anything, or should I just scrap it?
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    you can stir it into soup or custard - even though the texture sometimes gets a little grainy or it separates slightly on defrosting, using it in something warm evens it out - don't boil though.

You can whip it & pipe it into shapes then freeze - for another time
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 13th Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 12,044 Posts
    • 11,441 Thanks
    Chris25
    Hi Florence

Originally posted by Bumblebear
    use it up making chutney
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 14th Apr 17, 8:11 AM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 10,291 Thanks
    rosie383
    Use your frozen cream to make butter. I did this a few days ago. Whips up far quicker than non frozen IYSWIM.
    I got about ten cartons reduced a wee while ago and CBA to do them so just chucked some in the freezer. Have been working my way through them. Will be freezing every carton of reduced cream from now on because the difference in time taken and electricity use is quite amazing.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Apr 17, 4:47 PM
    • 9,456 Posts
    • 102,265 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Icing sugar. I have about half a packet taking up valuable cupboard space - and occupying a lock'n'lock box I could use for something else.

I don't do cake decorating any more, simply cba, and we've found that since Mr LW retired, if I make a cake, we eat it as dessert rather than as "extras" and don't need the extra calories icing would involve.

So any ideas to use the stuff up in recipes would be welcome. I do already have the pastry made with icing sugar recipe, but I rarely make sweet items that require pastry, so if it only gets used for that, it'll be kicking around for quite a while longer.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 14th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    katkin
    Icing sugar. I have about half a packet taking up valuable cupboard space - and occupying a lock'n'lock box I could use for something else.

I don't do cake decorating any more, simply cba, and we've found that since Mr LW retired, if I make a cake, we eat it as dessert rather than as "extras" and don't need the extra calories icing would involve.

So any ideas to use the stuff up in recipes would be welcome. I do already have the pastry made with icing sugar recipe, but I rarely make sweet items that require pastry, so if it only gets used for that, it'll be kicking around for quite a while longer.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    What about making a sweet treat for the mums and dads of your doggy visitors as part of a farewell pack? Like sugar /fondant mice or bones?
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Apr 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9,456 Posts
    • 102,265 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Fondant bones - now there's a novel idea, I like that!
    LameWolf
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 14th Apr 17, 6:10 PM
    • 12,044 Posts
    • 11,441 Thanks
    Chris25
    red wine vinegar - use a splash or two when braising red cabbage
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 10,630 Posts
    • 147,977 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    There's no such thing as a use by date for vinegar so just use it up as normal. It's like salt and sugar, one of those things that will keep good for years. Sometimes it develops a film on top which is the 'vinegar mother' and if you add leftover red wine to top up the bottle and leave the lid off but cover it with muslin or a loose weave cloth to keep insects out you will in a few weeks find that you have a full bottle of vinegar, magic stuff!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 15th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 6,287 Thanks
    Eenymeeny

Originally posted by LameWolf
    I'm the same, have quite a stock of 'baking ingredients' but feel quite guilty about eating cheese scones etc so have them occasionally as a 'guilty pleasure!'
    I'm using up icing sugar by adding a spoonful to frozen berries as they defrost, just stir them a couple of times. Takes the sharpness away and thickens the juice.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Apr 17, 12:32 PM
    • 9,456 Posts
    • 102,265 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Excellent idea about stirring it into berries; I occasionally add berries of one sort or another to apple crumble if the Bramley I'm using is on the small side, so maybe adding some to the those would work well. Thanks!
    LameWolf
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 15th Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 8,429 Thanks
    Florence J
    Thanks for the Icing sugar tips everyone, I also have a full packet of it in the cupboards.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 12,044 Posts
    • 11,441 Thanks
    Chris25
    sesame seeds - found 5 half opened packets when clearing out some tupperware. We already have 2 (1 large, 1 small) packs in the cupboard.

Any ideas?

We use them on bread rolls, sausage rolls, in flapjacks, and sprinkled onto chicken when having a chinese style night. I wondered if anybody can think of another use or way to use them.

TIA
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 10,630 Posts
    • 147,977 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I had a superb salad when we were in Berlin that was greens (not sure what but might have been spring greens even) with sliced red peppers dressed in a dressing that contained sesame oil and with toasted sesame seeds and it was delicious.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 17th Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 10,291 Thanks
    rosie383
    Another vote here for OLIO. I just joined our local group. Can't think of a better idea to use up lurking ingredients. Let other people use them up for you.
    And I've discovered that they also do non-food items too, so it ends up like freecycle with food. People are happy to take half-used packets.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • mamashaz
    • By mamashaz 18th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 2,398 Thanks
    mamashaz
    Probably not as obscure as some things on here, but I have a jar of Genovese Basil Pesto that we got in a gift food hamper some time ago. I think the BB is summer 2015 Since then we have had one of our household become vegetarian, so I'm sure it can be used up, I just don't know what to do with it.
    Originally posted by Spendless

Pesto stirred into mashed potato is yummy!
    • mamashaz
    • By mamashaz 18th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 2,398 Thanks
    mamashaz
    sesame seeds - found 5 half opened packets when clearing out some tupperware. We already have 2 (1 large, 1 small) packs in the cupboard.

Any ideas?

We use them on bread rolls, sausage rolls, in flapjacks, and sprinkled onto chicken when having a chinese style night. I wondered if anybody can think of another use or way to use them.

TIA
    Originally posted by Chris25
    If you run out of ideas for using them, the birds love them!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 18th Apr 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 8,429 Thanks
    Florence J
    Any suggestions for using up Puff Pastry?

I have 2 x 500g frozen puff pastry blocks. I'll be honest, I lack confidence around pastry of any description which is why I have avoided using them before now.

Any simple 'any idiot can do this' suggestions, either sweet or savoury, would be much appreciated.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,074Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin