Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 4th Apr 17, 7:15 AM
    • 2,527Posts
    • 2,821Thanks
    glasgowdan
    New garden, exciting times
    • 4th Apr 17, 7:15 AM
    New garden, exciting times 4th Apr 17 at 7:15 AM
    I'm finally getting time to do a few things in our new garden, and with spring appearing it's all exciting.

I remember a friend saying she lived being back at her parents house visiting because of the garden, and I want my kids to feel the same way. So we've got a designated area for the kids, maybe 6x6m, and the rest of the garden has a number of corners, nooks and crannies that could really be made into quite nice things.

I prefer the thought of things being quite full and busy rather than clean and clinical.

So far the list is roughly:
    Cut down an overbearing large pine and a leaning birch, replanted the birch a few ft in from the boundary it was on
    Cleared a few raised beds
    Reduced the size of the bamboo clumps
    Got a kids Wendy house
    Built a large swing
    Cleared a jungle from the now kids area
    Planted fruit bushes, strawberries and a few shrubs
    Planted an apple, pear and plum tree. The pear is against a south facing wall and will be trained out wide.

Loads more little things. I want to have plenty scent, bees and wildlife and so on.

I'll put up photos later, just want to share my positivity!
Page 1
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 4th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,615 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    • 4th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 4th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    Thats a nice list to keep you busy!

Well done and I hope you all enjoy it for many years to come

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 4th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 17,037 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 4th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 4th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    That sounds delightful, I have many happy memories of time in our garden at home. Make sure that bamboo knows who's boss, my next door neighbour had to pay for the pavement to be dug up to remove his as it had lifted his brick wall and the kerb stones. It's also ruining his very expensively paved drive.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 5th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 5th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 5th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    From an unwanted stump mashed in with some ancient cotoneaster roots and stems, to a lovely wee corner bed ready to plant a white camellia that's sitting waiting for a home. It'll provide some needed screening above the wall to the house at the back

• glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Apr 17, 10:50 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 8th Apr 17, 10:50 PM
    • 8th Apr 17, 10:50 PM
    Planted a camellia and a pieris today and cleared the large raised bed area at he front with the fancy evergreen trees in it. The plan here is to put down a few cubic m of woodchip which I've managed to source for free. It should look superb.

Can you WILL a newly planted hedge of bare root plants to grow faster simply by staring at it every day?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Apr 17, 5:01 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 14th Apr 17, 5:01 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 5:01 PM
    Almost got the herb bed ready. There are going to be a mix of things from lavender, scented shrubs and edible herbs (from seed) in here. Hope it looks nice.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 15th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 15th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 15th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    A couple more of the scraggy conifers removed

Pea soldiers in the kids garden

Grass seed really doing well on the patches where i cut out some huge roots

And some natural kids furniture! A mushroom table made out of rounds of tree and I'll pop 3 little light chairs around it. Also a flat play table on the raised bed, plus a few little plants put in after I cleared the bed

Last edited by glasgowdan; 15-04-2017 at 9:02 PM.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 16th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,904 Thanks
    tootallulah
    • 16th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    That is a great sized garden, what fun you will have. Lovely to move in the spring and have the whole growing season ahead of you.
    Mortgage House £108,000 September 29th 2017.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 6th May 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 6th May 17, 10:39 PM
    • 6th May 17, 10:39 PM
    I'll get some updates soon, but I've been sowing seeds, planting things and watering the whole place like crazy every evening. We've got a 3 year old kids party next weekend and I'm panicking about keeping the dozen little guests off the sensitive areas! I think I'm just going to have to lay tarps over a load of it.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 7th May 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Tidied the old overgrown raised bed by the front and began to plant things up. Alpine marigolds and alyssum. I'll get some decent perennials and little shrubs in eventually but I'm aiming for bright.

And the acers are looking good
    Last edited by glasgowdan; 07-05-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 30th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Some more work underway. I am gradually getting rid of the various slabs and boulders around the garden, it's full of them and looks horrible. So the edge of this raised bed is going to be turned into a grassy slope

The recent rain has made the garden super wet and it really doesn't drain properly at all, so I've put in land drains

Here is one of the small planted corners filled out quite well

This section was all slabs and resulted in run off puddles at the edge of the lawn. Now prepared for turfing and space at the back for some 6-7ft screening shrubs

Swings and sunflowers

Reduced the height of this bed to make it less imposing and keep it less dry. Took the front of it back 6ft too and took out the old washing pole.

A pile of sandstone boulders left over now!

I'm going to plant up the kids garden at the old pine with loads of plants and I'm gradually building up a collection of dug up extras from customers and fellow friendly gardeners.

A bit more light landscaping then it'll be soil improvement and planting.
    Last edited by glasgowdan; 30-09-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 1st Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Wow, lots of hard work but it looks smashing!
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 1st Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 6,411 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Thanks for sharing your progress, I love to see how gardens improve over time. Well done! Am I alone in taking lots of pics of sections of the garden over the year so that I can remember where I planted bulbs etc? The changes from bare soil to a colourful border gives me endless pleasure throughout the year.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Every time I look around the garden I just see so much that needs doing! That broken paving stuff in the corner (under where I've sat the sandstone boulders) is looking really ugly and I want to get rid but I can't think what to put there instead. May just dig them out and plant the whole area up with Sedum! The only other thing we have there is a pear tree against a wall and a bench seat that I made, so a sedum floor might be alright.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 1st Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Mnd
    Looks brilliant. Congratulations
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 2nd Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 6,411 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    We had a similar problem. We avoided the cost of disposing of ugly broken paving slabs by building a little raised terrace, using them as hard-core, then buying some new slabs to top it. From the front it looks like a drystone wall and will make a lovely little viewing platform where I can tuck myself away to watch the birds. Just looking for a nice bench now...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin