Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • upthetics
    • By upthetics 3rd Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 3Thanks
    upthetics
    BW Legal First Letter
    • 3rd Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    BW Legal First Letter 3rd Apr 17 at 4:33 PM
    Hi all

I have received the first letter from BW legal asking for £160 for stopping for less than a minute at Liverpool airport in December 2016.

I appealed and lost (as I knew the case would be).

Interestingly BW legal are saying that I didn't appeal within 28 days of the PCN charge. I did and still have the email.

What am I likely to receive from these people in the future as I have no intention of paying?

I have looked around on the forum for hours and am finding it hard as to what to do next. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Page 2
    • upthetics
    • By upthetics 18th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    upthetics
    Just got a letter from BW acknowledging my recent communications and that they have noted my position.

They say that they will now seek their clients instructions to issue county court proceedings for recovery of the balance.

Is this a significant letter that I should reply back to ?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 24,258 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    One of the standard responses we've seen many times. What were you thinking of saying to them in replying?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • upthetics
    • By upthetics 18th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    upthetics
    Something along the lines of it has been 6 months since the car stopped on the road it is a matter dealt with under bylaws and it has expired please stop using my details.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 24,258 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Something along the lines of it has been 6 months since the car stopped on the road it is a matter dealt with under bylaws and it has expired please stop using my details.
    Originally posted by upthetics
    No harm in doing that. But are they pursuing you for penalties under bylaws (6 months) or contractual charges (6 years)?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • upthetics
    • By upthetics 18th May 17, 11:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    upthetics
    Contractual I think

I am open to any good suggestions
    • upthetics
    • By upthetics 20th May 17, 10:01 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    upthetics
    Was this a LBC ?
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 20th May 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Lamilad
    Was this a LBC ?
    Originally posted by upthetics
    No. BWL's LBC are headed "letter of claim"

I wouldn't bother replying to this latest letter. But if you get a final notice or LBC then just send a very short reply denying the claim for the reasons you have already stated.
    • upthetics
    • By upthetics 17th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    upthetics
    Hi all

I did hope these people had gone away but today BWL rang my home telephone land line. I have never passed details of the number I am amazed they got my number.

My wife answered and passed nothing on.

Any action I should take?

Thanks again in advance.
    • si_dean
    • By si_dean 18th Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    si_dean
    Hi guys,

I have received my first "BW Legal" letter on the back of ignoring 3 x previous (vehicle control services) letters basically stating that their so-called debt has been passed onto BW Legal.
    At this point, its also worth pointing out that my driving license and the old counter part paper bit (which is not used now days) is still registered to my parents address as ive never bothered to change it.

My car insurance obviously comes to my house but the DVLA element is still my parents house and this is were the 3 x letters from VCS were sent to, as everytime i visisted my parents house there would be a letter there to open! As i ignored the 3 previous letters i thought that would be the lot, but now they have gotten my actual address from somewere (i don't know were and isn't this surely a breach of any consumer protection rules??).
    With this in mind, technically speaking as this letter from
    BW Legal is the first from them, i could argue this is the first corrispodancr ive had alltogether about the fine full stop? Would this work or would they twist this somehow?

I was initially thinking of ignoring this first letter from BW LEGAL, but looking at lots of threads about this & other similar scenarios, the advice is to NOT IGNORE??

To summarise, The info on the BW Legal letter states the date on contravention is 02-04-17 and the balance is £100 pcn plus vehicle control services of £60 = total current balance of £160!

With the above info in mind, as this is the first lot of literature come to my current address, were do i stand with this.

To confirm, this is my first BW Legal letter "threatining"..... not saying its going to happen, but "threatining" me saying i "may" be liable for court fee's , further solicitors fees and CCJ's bla bla bla! The attached letter accompanying the BW legal letter is one from VCS, just confirming that as I have not made any arrangements to pay the previous amount(s) from them, this has been passed to BE LEGAL ..... and suprise suprise, my address now stated in the corner of their letter is my updated address were i love currently..... probably because BW Legal have now told threm of this.....
    Or it wouldnt suprise me if BW Legal have printed both letters off themselves and just dpcked the accompanying letter yo show VCS's watermark and updated my current address in there?

If i have a point to prove here (in ref to them sending previous corrispondance to my old parents house address) what do i need to do or say...... or what letter template should i use ??
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 18th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 4,503 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    KeithP
    si_dean, you won't get any help on this thread.

To try and deal with two incidents with two different posters can only lead to confusion.

Please start your own thread and have a read of the NEWBIES sticky/pinned thread.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Oct 17, 10:11 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 24,258 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    If i have a point to prove here (in ref to them sending previous corrispondance to my old parents house address) what do i need to do or say...... or what letter template should i use ??
    Their first port of call will always be to the address provided to them (the PPC and any of its subcontractors) by the DVLA. That seems to me to be the address you have never updated.

BWL now seem to be following recommended procedure where no reply to correspondence has been forthcoming, to use tracing facilities, before the issue of court proceedings and to avoid you being landed with a default CCJ against you, with a potential life changing wrecking of your credit rating.

Do you know that your PPC parking charge pales into insignificance compared to what the DVLA can (legally) fine you for not updating your details - £1,000. You need to get both your driving licence and your V5 updated - they must be done separately. Urgent, amigo!

The BWL letter could have come from DRP and is no more than another debt collection threat, but we can’t be sure. You need to make your own mind up as to what it is - if you think it’s from DRP, then ignore it; if you think it’s direct from BWL and it’s all but a LBCCC, then go to the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 and read up on how to handle and respond to one.

EDIT - just realised after reading KeithP’s input that this isn’t your thread - so start your own, but my advice above applies there. I won’t be repeating it.

• si_dean
    • By si_dean 18th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    si_dean
    "Umkomaas" , Sorry i didnt see this reply to my post until after i pisted my new topic.
    Theres too much conflictong info about what to do, as some say ignore and granted you will keep receiving letters for a while but they will phase out and thats it, Nd others suggest NOT to ignore.

A few threads ive seen in here all seem to favour a post about never has anybody been taken to court for an airport parking offence (which mine was as i stopped for literally 10 seconds to pick my g.f up from liverpool airport)..... and so if nobody has ever been taken to court, then surely nobody has had a CCJ incurred by BW Legal to start with as it wouldnt be possible ??

I think im gonna just dwallow my pride and pay the fine and get this put to bed as theres no definitive guidelines outthere! Yes ther are tips in the newbies sticky thread etc but very conflictong.

Oh and yen i'll be sure to update my DVLA details :0)
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Oct 17, 11:07 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 24,258 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Well if you’d have told us it was LJLA.......

Nothing in your post mentioned airport or LJLA. We don’t generally go chasing back over previous posts right to the start each time, we answer each post as it comes up. Often hijacks have nothing whatsoever to do with the original post, other than it being the same PPC.

We are so busy, just a small handful of regulars dealing with hundreds of posts each day. Each thread will have at least 3 or 4 inputs in a day, and up to this minute we have dealt with 83 different threads today - do the math, a likely post total of around 300+ offering considered, expert advice.

Now we know, do not pay, nothing is likely to happen, continue in ignore mode! Make sure your own thread is clearly marked as a LJLA case, otherwise you might be getting divergent advice.

We are not clairvoyant!
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 18-10-2017 at 11:09 PM.

• si_dean
    • By si_dean 18th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    si_dean
    Ok, i will mark the new post i created with LJLA.... although i dont actually know what that means, so could you share some light on that ?

If i continue to ignore im assuming (as ive outlined on my previous thread), that i'll still
    Get threatening letters.... BUT nothing will happen other than that. Heard some storoes about ppl being slapped with an actual CCJ wothout them even knowing about it etc....
    • andytaylor
    • By andytaylor 19th Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    andytaylor
    LJLA - what's the full name of Liverpool Airport
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 19th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 24,258 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Heard some storoes about ppl being slapped with an actual CCJ wothout them even knowing about it etc...
    What? From tickets issued by VCS at Liverpool John Lennon Airport?

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 51,537 Posts
    • 65,144 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes ther are tips in the newbies sticky thread etc but very conflictong.
    In what way? Genuinely, I need to know what in the NEWBIES thread is 'conflicting', so much that you actually then said:

I think im gonna just swallow my pride and pay the fine
    WTF?

Please don't fund and sponsor the scam, or you are joining them.

Umkomaas summed our thoughts up here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72773978#post72773978

We are passionate about this scam, you know. Don't fund ex-clamper thug firms, on principle.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• whiskeytoothpaste
    • By whiskeytoothpaste 27th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    whiskeytoothpaste
    Same here. Annoying that they don’t seem to read responses. The auto-generated emails from them are proof enough that you have responded. Should you ever need it. It is the phone calls that bother me.
    I blocked them but they are still leaving voicemails for me to call them. Why is a phone discussion discouraged?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 27th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Same here. Annoying that they don’t seem to read responses. The auto-generated emails from them are proof enough that you have responded. Should you ever need it. It is the phone calls that bother me.
    I blocked them but they are still leaving voicemails for me to call them. Why is a phone discussion discouraged?
    Originally posted by whiskeytoothpaste
    If you can, say for a month, turn off your voicemail so it
    just rings

WHY ??? Because all that will happen is that you will speak
    to a high pressure droid who will lie to you.

Such rubbish like "if you don't pay our scam, you will
    go to prison for life" .......

Just close the door on these phone scamming pests.
    Even the idiots will give up after a while

Report the number to the WHICH scam line
    http://www.which.co.uk/tools/report-a-call-or-text/
    Last edited by beamerguy; 27-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • safarmuk
    • By safarmuk 27th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    safarmuk
    Just to clear this up as the thread has been somewhat distracted, this is UPTHETICS thread and he has an outstanding query from his post #28

Others will provide a response as well but my advice to UPTHETICS would be to block the number called from and any further calls should be met with an appropriate response such as you see fit. If you do not wish to discuss things with them (as is generally the recommendation from posters here) then you say "Sorry, I am unwilling to discuss this at this time, please send any correspondence in writing". The reason we say not to discuss over the phone is that you have no evidence of what was said via this medium and the phone call is likely to distress you and/or annoy you and its sole purpose will be to get you to pay up.

All others on this thread, if you need help, please do start your own thread and you will get the specific help you need. LJLA is a special case - as you will see if you search it on this forum - as far as I know nobody (as I understand it) has been taken to court yet over a LJLA PCN (others will correct me if I am wrong).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,447Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter