Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,143Posts
    • 3,239Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 9
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks folks !
    Im obviously appreuhensive, but am trying to put that at the back,of my mind for now. I think the work will come when im ready . I'll get the immediate thinks out of the way first.
    Funny you mention artex, enthusiastic. My new place hasnt got any .
    Fist time i've never been in a place with it . Once youve done it, though you'll feel great

Another rough morning. The grass was trimmd this morning , the area seems to get serviced regularly i must say.

I have to go to poole to pay james again this morning . I then have my dental appt. No tooth extraction today though
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Traffic hold up everywhere , so it seems. I was going to go to my bank and pay james . Got as far as top of Ashley cross and had to go back . While waiting for bus , dentist phoned and wanted to know if I wanted my appointment earlier . I got there for 11am ahead of the 11.15 appt
    Root canal stuff . Took ages . Got the yellow bus for a change to Poole Paid into bank with numb mouth . Just having a hot chocolate in Nero with bawling babies . Will be back home soon
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Felt Ropey as hell this morning . I'm half asleep and jimmy phones.
    I had to remember what other accessories I wanted , but he is great so far.
    Phoned council tax up . I have to pay full council tax in my new property until I move in . Grrr! Got a bill from utility warehouse . I will pay that once I I e reading next week .
    Just got my hair cut in penn hill . Nice polish lady did a great job .
    She seemed to like me . I'll make that my regular .
    Great vibes in Bennett patisserie( give me a break

Beginning to warm up now and feel better
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st Apr 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just arranged a direct debit with Wessex water. Nice chap on the phone. £28.45 to start off with, but tbh I expect it to be a lot more.
    I will be on a water meter in my new home , which is new to me .

Regarding the council tax . I told them a white lie ( moving out of present property on 1 may ). I will call them back and tell them the truth ( moving out 29 may ) when my new bill arrives.
    This means I get charged full council tax , and not a single person discount until 29 may which peed me off somewhat.
    Still , at least I know where I stand .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st Apr 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just went over to my flat. My landlady sent me a nice card .
    Got a couple of keys cut .
    Apparently tomorrow is record store day. Friend wants to go to Bournemouth early . I'll do that .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 23rd Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Yesterday , as with most mornings felt Ropey etc
    However, I agreed to go with my friend to record store day . This meant being at my local bus stop at 7.30 am

Eventually, got to vault records in Bournemouth around 8 am
    With this record store day malarkey , certain ltd editions made for that day across the world are sold and then deleted , making them collectable. Something like that . I didn't plan on buying anything , however £100 later says I did . I know I know! To be fair, I haven't imho spent bucketloads on anything much except essential things in my later pages of my previous thread . So, I let my hair down , what's left of it .
    I will give big yellow storage a call to see how much notice I have to give them to move my belongings out . I think it's 2 weeks , but if it's 4 then I really have to start planning .
    I won't do any more painting in my flat for another few days until James has done his business .
    I have to make enquiries about shutters for flat . Not sure about Hilary's or local . I'll have to see.
    I'm thinking about getting a sofa that opens out into a computer workstation for my gas room / music room . Not sure . They look
    Good , but not too sure if they are , and if they are too expensive.

In a way I'm glad I never looked at the flat across the way . The ceilings in this flat are paper thin . The kids / baby are running around for most of the day bawling like baby buffalos. Okay for short term , but not all the time .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 23rd Apr 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,155 Posts
    • 19,603 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    The thing you need to remember AC, is that all those little spends add up to big amounts. That old phrase, "Watch the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" is true.
    I bet if you added up all those small spends (including the coffees) you'd be surprised at how much they come to.

I've never heard of a sofa that becomes a computer desk, do you have a link?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 23rd Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    True gigervamp
    There are various makes, but studybed is one of them .
    Too lazy to do link . If you google deskbeds then that's another one to look at. Some of them are children's beds ,,obviously not for me .

Was also thinking ' 'hidden office ' . These are not beds, but small foldaway offices . Cheaper too
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 23rd Apr 17, 2:44 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    Karonher
    There is no harm in having a little splurge from time to time as long as it does not become too much of a habit.

You could allocate yourself some money for treats each week. If you overspend, slowly claw it back from future weeks.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2017

Aiming to make £4,500 online in 2017.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 23rd Apr 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thank you karonher !
    I put down to a one off. Back to being a good boy now .

Just been over to collect post from flat .Had a look around, and came away with more ideas.
    Lots of boxes for the bathroom everywhere , so I didn't stay as long.
    Probably this time next week, the bathroom will be done .
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 23rd Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    dreaming
    I have to make enquiries about shutters for flat . Not sure about Hilary's or local . I'll have to see.
    I'm thinking about getting a sofa that opens out into a computer workstation for my gas room / music room . Not sure . They look
    Good , but not too sure if they are , and if they are too expensive.
    Originally posted by another casualty
    I used a local firm for my shutters AC and paid about £1500 (I think) 7 years ago for a medium sized bedroom window and a medium sized bay window. I had "tier on tier" shutters so I can open the top windows easily and often have the top tiers folded back in the day. Just be aware that they don't completely block the light so you may feel you need curtains in a bedroom if you like it very dark (as I do).

Studybed AC??? - Definitely a want and not a need - what's wrong with a bog-standard computer desk and a blow up bed for those occasional guests? Or a small sofa-bed? Or is it just me who discourages guests from staying too long?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 23rd Apr 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thank you dreaming , helpful stuff there

I'll have a chat this week to the local shop regarding blinds and shutters and see what they can do.

I think you're right regarding the guest situation .
    I've been looking at various solutions regarding my next 'work 'area.

I have got enough room for a desk . ( I still have a fine comfy computer chair in storage ). The trouble with music equipment combined with computers , is things can get very untidy very easily.
    I'm partly thinking of those hideaway computer cupboards , where you can close the door after use keeping everything tidy.
    At the end of the day , it's wires plugged into sockets, wires plugged into sockets ...
    I'm giving my friend my old studio,monitors, as they both need to be plugged into a wall using 2 sockets using more electricity than ordinary loudspeakers . I'm just gonna plug the output into my stereo bass amp instead . 1 less socket, and less electricity.

iPads take up,less space than pcs/ macs .
    I may get a cheap compacts USB scanner / printer.
    Amazing how much things we thought we needed when we first got our home computers . With iPads and tablets , thankfully we have more space .
    I'll need to get storage for my flat . Probably ottomans / trunks maybe then way to go.
    I'll stop rambling now ..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,215Posts Today

6,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin