Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,813Posts
    • 4,416Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 8
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 7:48 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Had a few ciders with my friend . Initially it was gonna be coffee,but we went to Poole quay and were fairly smashed .
    I do remember lots of the pubs from previous years. The blue boar was our favourite . They were great people in there .
    Thankfully , I had nurofen in the flat which came in useful around 2am

Had to force myself outta bed, as james the bathroom man will be here shortly. Headache gone , but I would've loved to have had a couple more hours in bed .

I'd better look at the colour schemes to make sure I know what I want
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 18th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    Hi AC, glad to hear things are moving forward for you, and good luck with the plumbers!

I may have missed something, but what is the gas room?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi worrier
    The gas room is bedroom2. I call it that , because the gas boiler is located in there under the window . It will be renamed the music room once I have my music equipment in there
    Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just had text from landlady . She is coming to visit sometime this afternoon

She wants me to take her bank details , but I think it's best to pay the letting agent . Don't want my deposit affected in any way .

Saw James . I decided on laminate flooring for the bathroom .
    Showed him a couple of pictures of bathrooms in the colour scheme I want and it seems laminate flooring is the best solution .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Nice sunny day.
    Just spoke to letting co. Nothing to worry about . I'll just pay landlady direct and I will get my deposit back once I leave on 30 may or whenever .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 18th Apr 17, 12:05 PM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 19,730 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    It is laminate especially for kitchens and bathrooms I hope! Normal laminate doesn't do well if it gets wet.

Going back to the waste discussion, our council are changing ours in June. We're only allowed to put out 2 bags per fortnight. It wouldn't be so bad, but there's a lot of waste they don't recycle. The only plastic they'll take for recycling is yoghurt pots and milk/drink bottles.
    They're going to have different bags for nappies/continence waste, and we'll only be allowed to use the council provided black sacks for general waste, which are really thin and prone to tearing.

Gawd knows what we're going to do with the 7 bags per fortnight of cat litter we have! (We have 5 cats.)

Is James dumping waste at the tip pretending to be a householder? Because if he disposes of it correctly, ie, as a business, he would need to pay as it comes under commercial waste and he needs to have a waste carriers license. Ask to see it, or it could come back to bite you. Have a look here.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks gigervamp .
    I will have a word with james to check about laminate .
    Vinyl flooring may be better , we'll see.
    TBH , I'm gonna turn a blind eye regarding the disposal .
    The price I'm quoted is good ( so far), and I think I'll just roll with everything hoping it all pans out.

Regarding rubbish and recycling in general , i have my own way of doing things.. just put everything into black bags and have done with it .i,don't care . Where there was a botte bank near me, they gotbrid of it . Same with cardboard recycling . So, it seems the more you pander to these arrogant prima donnas who we pay for, the more they extract the urine and get above their station and start nit picking just to wind us up.
    Up until the mid '80s we used to have 'dustmen ' and that was that.

Rant over
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 18th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 2,751 Thanks
    dreaming
    Unfortunately AC you may not just be able to turn a blind eye towards how James get rid of rubbish. In our council area any "unlawful" disposal may be tracked back to the customer and they can be charged with payment (plus a hefty fine). In other words you, as the person wanting to dispose of rubbish, have to ensure that you use a licensed person to dispose of it. Just be aware!
    I actually don't mind sorting my recycling, and try my hardest to stick to the "reduce, re-use, recycle" mantra to try to keep stuff out of landfill. What I object to is that when it is collected it is all just chucked in one big truck but they won't take items put in the wrong crate - even it is recyclable! I even understand the economics behind waste disposal in that there is not such a demand for recyclable waste any more so there is no impetus to encourage households to sort it. The latest news here is that the council are looking to charge households to use the tips which is likely to lead to more fly-tipping which leads to greater calls on council resources to clear it up. There are no easy answers except to increase council tax to actually cover what services cost but not many people would vote for that I guess. Anyway the binmen have taken all of the cardboard even though it wasn't the size of a cereal packet (I wonder what size cereal they mean?)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks dreaming
    If I have to pay , so be it . I won't complain . I'll just put down to additional bathroom costs should the issue arises .
    I'm not sure how often the ordinary rubbish is collected here.
    I'll have to check . I'm used to weekly . Hopefully that's the case here.
    The bins always seem full tho
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 107,436 Thanks
    gallygirl
    In Spain we have large bins on the street, emptied every night (bar Saturday or Sunday). We have two 'normal' ones nearby and a plastics one. The cardboard and glass ones are a 5 minute walk away so we save up the glass (normally wine bottles) and do a 'clink of shame' walk every now and then . Furniture etc. people want rid of gets 'dumped' at the side of the bins and gets collected once a week - though it's usually gone long before then - we've put stuff by the bins, walked down to get some more and the first lot is gone by the time we get back . Being Spain, we also have olive (and other cooking) oil recycling bins .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 33,920 Thanks
    joedenise
    Sounds a great system GG. We either have to take our furniture etc to the tip or pay the Council to take it away - it was £18 last time I looked but they won't take anything over 6' anyway so not much use if we want to get rid of our bed at it's 6'6" x 7'!!!

Having said that our council is really good with the recycling. We have a big bin and just put all recycling in it so we don't have to sort it at all that's done somewhere else (not sure where it is now but used to be at a local prison!).

We get recycling and general waste collected fortnightly, alternate weeks for each. We also have "brown" bins for garden waste which we have to pay for @ £35 per year which also gets collected fortnightly.

It seems to work quite well, although there is still quite a bit of fly tipping going on unfortunately.

Denise
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 18th Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    AC If you come under Poole Borough then the bin collection details are here.

http://www.poole.gov.uk/environment/recycling-rubbish-waste/refuse-and-recycling-collection-and-disposal/alternate-weekly-collections/
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Originally posted by Grumpelstiltskin
    Thanks gtumpelstilskin
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Had a nosey in the evening . James has done a lot.
    Saw landlady . Forgot to ask her if I should sign anything
    She left her bank details . I'll send her an email

Feeling a little rough today..same old
    May have anther day doing nothing
    Dentist tomorrow . I think James won't be around tomorrow.
    Could've painted tomorrow . Will have to be weeend or next week
    We'll see
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just popped over to have another look.
    James phone is out of action for a day or so. He gave me his other halfs no. All the tiles are ripped off walls , bath gone.
    New suite being delivered tomorrow for Friday . I think he has tomorrow off iirc . He sent me pics of laminate flooring I may like , and that should be here and fitted next week .

I love the look of my halllway . The carpet in the hallway is tired.
    That's not me just saying that .

James wants another £700 . No,problem

So far so good
    • lady1964
    • By lady1964 19th Apr 17, 7:18 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    lady1964
    Hi AC, I've followed you over to here & enjoying keeping up with your adventures!

Re laminate floor for your new bathroom, frankly I wouldn't unless it's properly suitable for a bathroom, without being too descriptive and IME, men can, on occasion, make the floor a bit wet without intending to, especially after a few ciders . We have tiled floors in our 2 upstairs bathrooms, slightly chilly underfoot but a bath mat helps. We had vinyl laid in our downstairs loo/shower, it can easily be replaced as & when necessary.

A bit off topic but me & DH visited your part of the world at the weekend, we had a walk around Poole harbour, popped over to West Bay & then Weymouth. I envy the gorgeous area you have chosen to live in, it must be fantastic after living in Twickenham - I grew up in Hounslow & often ventured to Twickenham on nights out in my late teens/early twenties, my wedding reception was at a pub in St. Margaret's:-)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi lady
    Thanks for that . Poole harbour is great . St. Margaret's is cool.
    Having said that, I haven't thought about what I've left behind tbh
    it's about 5 months now .

I looked at the description of the laminate . It is ideal for bathrooms and guaranteed for 10 years . I'm enjoying the break .
    The apprehensive stuff: not knowing anybody / eventually looking for work.
    This time last year , seems so far away at times . I was totally , fed up run down broke and shattered .
    Glad you had a great weekend
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 20th Apr 17, 8:16 AM
    • 9,785 Posts
    • 55,115 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi lady
    Thanks for that . Poole harbour is great . St. Margaret's is cool.
    Having said that, I haven't thought about what I've left behind tbh
    it's about 5 months now .

I looked at the description of the laminate . It is ideal for bathrooms and guaranteed for 10 years . I'm enjoying the break .
    The apprehensive stuff: not knowing anybody / eventually looking for work.
    This time last year , seems so far away at times . I was totally , fed up run down broke and shattered .
    Glad you had a great weekend
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Yes you've come a long way in a short time.

Exciting though. A whole new way of life beckons. Enjoy.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 20th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Glad the decorating going well AC. We had a plasterer plaster over 10 artex ceilings just before Easter so we have done nothing but paint white ceilings for last four days. Totally fed up of painting now as I expect you are.

You seem to be enjoying Poole - I personally love living in the South West but as we are also emmetts from London I can say it takes time to build up a new support system. Gradually we lost contact with a lot of our London friends, bar a few exceptions and my best friends now are from Cornwall or Devon. Getting a little part time job when you feel up to it will help you meet new people.
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 20th Apr 17, 9:01 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    You're sounding a bit apprehensive about work AC, maybe you could think about trying something completely different to your old career. Maybe even something in the tourist trade considering where you now live.

eta

Did you see the new Sarah Benny programme about living mortgage free- I thought you'd make a great candidate for that.
    Last edited by Worrierwalker; 20-04-2017 at 9:03 AM. Reason: forgot the main reason I was going to post
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,785Posts Today

8,394Users online

Martin's Twitter