Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 3,121Posts
    • 4,955Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 71
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 16th Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    • 6,241 Posts
    • 19,898 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    What exactly in a salad are you allergic to? Salads don't have to be made from lettuce, cucumber and tomato. There are all sorts of leaves and many vegetables that can be used raw to make a salad.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Nov 17, 9:38 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    What exactly in a salad are you allergic to? Salads don't have to be made from lettuce, cucumber and tomato. There are all sorts of leaves and many vegetables that can be used raw to make a salad.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    Hate the smell of onions / garlic etc. Spring onions are evil.
    Got force fed salad at school when I was an infant . Long story .
    The good thing is that dinner lady is probably dead now .
    Such a cheery post on this Friday morning
    Iíll get by . I always do . Almost 55 and still going strong .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 17th Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 6,241 Posts
    • 19,898 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Well, to be honest, you're not still going strong are you?

If you want to be healthy, you need to eat healthily, and that includes eating plenty of veg, preferably including some raw, as it loses nutrients when cooked.
    So you're not actually allergic to salad, you just choose not to eat it because you were made to eat it as a child. I used to hate peas and mushrooms as a child, and although I wasn't forced to eat mushrooms, I did have to eat peas. I love both now. I also love brie, and other cheeses that I hated as a child. Our tastebuds change as we get older, and it's good to try new things out.

Open your mind and try a new thing each week. If you find you really don't like it, after eating it 2 or 3 times, then try something else. As I said, salad doesn't have to be lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. My favourite salad leaf is watercress, because it's very peppery and I love pepper. Sliced, raw red pepper is juicy and crunchy, grated carrot is sweet and crunchy, baby leaves mixed salad bags are good too.

You're missing out on so much tasty food, that's good for you to boot!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well, Iíve just bought loads of nuts / seeds/ white meat . No bread which is very unusual . Itís a start. Canít get yogurt just yet as I still have this annoying cold . Having said that , thatís the only symptom so far of my prednisolone reduction .

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my arrival in poole . A nice crisp sunny day today. Not like storm Angus last year .
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Nov 17, 2:12 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,568 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I eat salad most days but rarely bother with commercial lettuce because it is largely tasteless. The only time I prepare it myself is if I grew a few leaves myself, which is dead easy and which taste much nicer. You don’t even need a garden. If someone serves me lettuce then of course I eat it.

So unless you have stomach issues with leaves and you really don’t like lettuce then try different sorts of greenery. You can grow you own “green stuff”from sprouting seeds. You can make salads without garlic and spring onions. (Although you are missing a tasty treat but each to his own).

I agree with Gigervamp - don’t let childhood memories stop you from trying new foods. Our tastebuds do change. Like most kids I had a sweet tooth, now I don’t like sweet foodstuffs. They are just too sweet and sickly. I only discovered I liked curry when I hit my 30s. I tried it in my teens and didn’t like it. A decade on I tried again and loved it. So yes our food preferences can change over time. My late husband was in his 40s before he liked olives and discovered the joys of a double espresso.

Be open minded. If you are cutting out bread then you need to make sure you are eating carbs in the form of fruit and veg. If you only live on meat, dairy, nuts and seeds then you will be cutting out too many food groups, you will miss vital nutrients. And, without being indelicate, you could end up with bowel problems.

I eat a Paleo diet because of stomach problems. I believe I mentioned I never touch grains. I just can digest them. I do eat dairy because I think we need some for good bone health but I’ve found Lacto free easier to digest.

I am also supposed to avoid foods belonging to the nightshade family. But I do cheat a bit there without any dire effects but even then I use common sense. Green bell peppers upset my digestive system, but I’m ok with red, yellow and orange ones. It’s all about trial and error.

However so although I eat no starchy carbs I do make sure I get enough carbs by eating plenty of fruit and veg, salads etc. You need some carbs for energy and a wide variety fruit and veg in your diet will ensure you don’t miss out on essential vitamins and nutrients.

AC a healthy diet is a varied diet and when you cut out food groups then you have to make sure you compensate. It’s all about balance. You simply must widen your food choices otherwise you aren’t going to get fully well again.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 17-11-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Nov 17, 5:35 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks LL very insightful . Iím gonna adjust slowly and see what happens . Food for thought .

Just had a mad hour and moved the sideboard into the bedroom from the boiler room . This also entailed me moving my bed into another position in 5he room. It does look better , it has to be said .
    Friend is coming tomorrow to give us assistance with putting up some pictures . The flat is getting more tidy and functional now. Almost there .
    • harz99
    • By harz99 26th Nov 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99
    AC, long time no post - are you alright, did Black Friday get you in it's clutches?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 26th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    AC, long time no post - are you alright, did Black Friday get you in it's clutches?
    Originally posted by harz99
    Hello harz

Yes, itís been awhile hasnít it ? Yes Black Friday caught me for one or two things , but overall Iíve been very good

Whats been going on: last Sunday got very drunk with my friend . Too much for a Sunday . Last mon and weds gym with instructor .
    ( will be going tomorrow for another p t session )

Slowly changing eating habits for the better.

Iíve noticed my flat although warm and hot in the summer, is very cold already over the last few days . I donít normally put it on unless absolutely necessary , but then again Iím not living in humid London .
    I have condensation over all windows in flat and will invest in a good dehumidifier asap.
    I have been coughing a lot over the last couple of nights. Not sure if this is reduction in my prednisolone or because of cold flat .

Speaking of flat, the neighbours are careless with the postbthat comes in . They just chuck it on 5he floor among the junk flyers etc .very annoying. I have been keeping the communal area immaculate but I found important mail for me hidden in rubbish on the floor.
    Not amused. So I just take mine now and not bother with theirs.
    Iíve tried to place it neatly but whatís the point ?
    One of the neighbours upstairs is a *removed by forum team - please remember to be nice to everyone, even those not on the forums*. She has stuff that is for her flat no. But just leaves it instead of taking it to the post box with return to sender on it. Hasnít she heard of elvis?

Iíve ordered 2 pairs of jeans from m & s . The ones I have now are still by my ankles. These are for Big and tall. If they fit , then brilliant .if not, I will take them to Poole ASAP . Iíve ordered a size 40waist. In fairness I hope they are too big

Got new Computer coming midweek . Finally got topper and mattress protector . Got them from home sense . Great shop. Got a Metallica Box set . Only thing I splashed out on tbh .

Looking into my boiler. Not sure how good it is . At times it is a p I t a to get going . As itís in the small bedroom , Iím on my hands and knees looking at a display thatís very similar to those old Ď80s Hand held games . Hit and miss if it works when my back is turned . Iím finding I have to go back more than once to adjust it.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 28-11-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 26th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,568 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    AC. Be careful with that boiler......get it checked out. They shouldn’t cut out like that.

Re cold damp flat and condensation. It won’t be helping you with your cough. Definitely get yourself a good dehumidifier, I’ve just bought a new one. EBAC 18L - brilliant.

You will probably find that with a good dehumidifier you won’t need to spend quite so much on heating, they are actually very cost effective in terms of running costs. It’s cheaper to heat cold dry air than cold moist air.

Re the post......well there’s not much you can do, just make sure you check it every day so yours doesn’t get lost. It must be irritating though to have to put with a messy entrance hall. It would drive me nuts.

All is well here. Lots of spending I’m afraid.......dentists, glasses, vaccinations, car mot, new guttering, new kitchen tap, said dehumidifier, Christmas........hey ho - it’s only money. I will have to go on a strict economy drive after my holiday.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 26th Nov 17, 11:02 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi LL .

Glad allís well . I Ďm just looking at dehumidifiers now . Iíll look into your one. Thanks for that . Sounds like you have lots going on .All good . Iím gonna have the boiler serviced ASAP I think . Hopefully that will be the beginning of the regular once a year service .
    Iíve just been looking at reviews of it . Some were really good and some the opposite . Due to the size and location of it, my options are ltd.
    Yes, itíll soon be Christmas
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sunday and Monday, felt a bit heady . When I went to gym for p/t session I felt better. He seems to be very enthusiastic and sees potential . Also very happy . Hopefully as Iím turning things around, this is the turning point . When I first came to poole , i caoukd hardly walk without being breathless. My two legs were like anvils .
    I eased myself into going back to the gym and am now much more Mobile than I was . My condition is annoying though. If Iím vacuuming my hand muscles get very tired for example . My neck and head muscls tire more easily . I wonít give up though .
    Iím sticking with the sessions and also being mote disciplined so hopefully by this time next year , I will be as normal as can be .
    Iím aiming for employment at Easter at the very latest . Not being complacent but I need to look and feel right for interviews . Not like a fat slob that looks like he has swallowed a few chairs and doesnít care
    Reasons to be cheerful . I could be dead

A couple of things regarding customer service . One which is interesting and bizarre ...
    First Vodafone : last Monday I asked for a p u k code to be sent so I could give my old iPhone to my friends wife who could do with a newer phone . Today was very frustrating and annoying .
    Automated system doesnít understand my request . 3rd attempt I get a call back . Nice advise, but I couldnít understand a lot of what he was saying. If he was from the uk, heíd be a racing commentator in his other job . Iím due the code on Friday . Weíll see, som, on to Amazon ...

When I moved home last year , I was like the West Ham defence . I was all over the place as you know .
    A few things disappeared . Albums & books . Still , thatís life.
    So, a rare book by Jon Collins ( chemistry about the band rush ) .
    I decided to see if I could get another copy . So I did via amazon .
    There were various places to buy and various prices.

I managed to buy one at sundial books in the states .
    This was last night . So a couple of hours ago I got an email asking if I would like upot signed . ?? So I was a bit taken aback , not knowing if the email was legit . So I said ď sorry for sounding dumb ..blah blah blah. Could do. Would you require any more payment?..Ē
    Turns out it was an email from the author who is at the post office .
    He signed it with a little cryptic message .
    So this is something Iím dying to see. What a great man :
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Nov 17, 9:44 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    So I had to stay in today as I was expecting various important deliveries to my home . The important stuff being a new iMac and a rather large and fragile box set of stuff of Metallica .
    They came along with the book and speakers for the iMac .
    iMac was the last thing to arrive . While I was watching the chase .

I decided to start unboxing and setting everything up . Then ... internet ceases to work . This entailed me contacting Vodafone . It also entailed unscrewing the phone socket , resetting and talking to a nice Geordie lass with a strong accent . Frequently listening to the worst version of I love you baby that I have ever heard. In the end after 75 mind or so , an engineer will be coming to see me. Iím awaiting a text to say when . Iíve been given 40gb to play with on my phone until it is sorted . So I cannot use the iMac. I couldnít shut it down as it is stuck on the language section. Not the kind of language I was using . So , Iíll listen to radio in bed soon . Canít watch you tube or now tv at the moment . Once I saw celebrity bungle I turned tv off.
    I want to go out tomorrow , but am waiting to see what the message is when I get it .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 30th Nov 17, 4:13 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    anna_1977
    ahh you treated yourself AC, what one did you go for in the end? My daughter is looking at them but the cheapest, even with her student discount is £949 so she's waiting to save a bit more up!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 30th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi Anna
    Black Friday was when it was purchased . Not too many bargains tbh as I wanted more ram . So ended up buying the cheapest one from a apple with 16 g b . Went a little mad as I’ve been struggling so much with the other one. Got Magic Mouse and trackpad . As it was Black Friday I now have a £150 gift card from Apple . I was gonna go with John Lewis because of the 3 year guarantee etc but their machines are slightly older and no 16 g b models were available to order.

My broadband and phone line are down . No text from Vodafone as yet . Maybe they could do the job from outside .

Loving this weather . Managed to go to the gym for a session on my own. Tomorrow I’m expecting a dehumidifier to be delivered. Could be sat .

I noticed the mail isn’t on the floor for the last couple of days . The [Removed] upstairs has a few envelopes lying on the window ledge with the prveviois persons name . I will put them in the post box tomorrow return to sender etc . I won’t put useless cow on the envelopes though. If my envelopes end up on the floor again I have a few junk mail flyers and will hide their mail in it they start their antics again.
    We’ll see.

Just waiting for broadband to be fixed .
    I’m liking that room a lot more than I did . Moving the sideboard into the bedroom made a big difference . I’ve ordered a special stool which is 50/ 50 if it’s been discontinued . It looks like a bass amp , but lifting the seat up means I can store all effects pedals / leads etc
    It will be very handy if I get it . Apparently there is now a Version where there is a speaker is built into the stool, but there is no storage facility . I don’t want that one . Plus it’s about £50 more.
    We’ll see.
    Just need to get wireless printer/ scanner and that’s it .
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 30-11-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 1st Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    anna_1977
    ooh £150 to spend in Apple - are there any more accessories you need?

Really sounds like you're getting on. In terms of the flat and the gym etc. I'm so pleased for you AC
    x
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks Anna
    Iíll probably end up spending that on iTunes .
    Thanks for the kind words . It was on 30th nov last year when I first moved into the rented flat around the corner . Never thought I could say something like that Strange really how things worked out so far
    Obviously the more daunting tasks are ahead of me next year .
    I donít want to dwell too much on that at the moment , as Iím in a good mood .
    Everything went so fast and things seemed to fit in place in the first six months or so . Things slowed down since July . That is the month that I joined the gym ( starting very feebly , it has to be said). This time last year I was breathless even walking to the shops , or seeing my friend up the road . No more . I think Iíve chosen the personal trainer at the right time . Iíve slowly got ( and am getting ) my strength and stamina back . Thereís still a way to go , and it will be some time before Iím right for employment . One thing I did notice this morning , was the amount of pyrodistigamine ( bromide ) I have unused . I thought it was a steroid , but it isnít . Itís quite an expensive and awkward prescription apparently . It acts as a muscle booster for the eye and ( not 100% sure) the muscles for swallowing and speech . When I was first given it , I could take anything up to 8 tablets a day . Now however , I tend to have one a day , maybe 2-3 if Iím out late in the evening or very tired in company.
    When I saw my friend 2 weeks ago, he said the eye looks great .He says he has seen major improvement . All good . It seems like like a long period of rest was exactly what was and still is needed . Longer than the six months I initially thought would be enough.

It seems like the real problem I have in my flat now is finding where to put all these boxes. No need to comment on that
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    ooh £150 to spend in Apple - are there any more accessories you need?

Really sounds like you're getting on. In terms of the flat and the gym etc. I'm so pleased for you AC
    x
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Thanks Anna
    Forgot to ask how are you getting on . Creditors etc?
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 1st Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    AC I can't believe its a year since you moved! How quickly time flies. That's great that you can see some real improvements in your heath. Are you spending Christmas in your new flat?
    Getting back on Track
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    another casualty
    AC I can't believe its a year since you moved! How quickly time flies. That's great that you can see some real improvements in your heath. Are you spending Christmas in your new flat?
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge
    Thanks mrs. P

It looks like Iíll be doing the same as last year and visiting my friend and his family for Christmas dinner. Iíll get the usual invitations from the family . Sisters and brothers at various addresses etc.
    Tbh I tend not to think of it until nearer the time . Iím in a slightly different situation this year as my neighbours have children and a bawling baby so itís best to be away for a few hours anyway .
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 1st Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Sounds lovely AC.

DS is travelling in Thailand as we speak (sooooo jealous). Anyway as we'll be on our own DH and I are going to a hotel for Christmas ( 3 nights) - not really moneysaving - but to be honest with you, I just can't wait It will make a great change not to have to worry about pleasing anyone but ourselves and no cooking or washing up.
    Getting back on Track
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter