Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,968Posts
    • 4,746Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 51
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    I think you need to go through the box files anyway AC. It sounds as if you never throw paperwork away which means if you need to lay your hands on anything this is a nightmare and very time consuming. I have about 10 box files, 2 are empty and 2 have guarantees and manuals/receipts for white goods, small electronic devices and other bits and pieces like TVs, iPads, phones, clocks etc. 1 has the last years bills for council tax, contracts for utilities (I am paperless for monthly bills so can get anything on line) and direct debit mandate copies for various things. I has payslips and tax forms (up to 6 years for these), 1 has anything to do with cars, 1 has property information, 1 has investments and 1 has pensions. I only keep the latest statements and keep the terms and conditions in booklet forms for accounts and investments. Passports, birth and death certificates etc and spare bank cards I don't use all the time are kept in safe with house deeds.

I am pretty sure the majority of the contents of those box files can be shredded or ditched. Go paperless from now on to reduce space needed to store all of the paperwork.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you enthusiadtic
    I have indeed gone onto the paperless route for various bills etc.
    It is so obvious what I will now be doing on a daily basis , probably starting at the weekend .
    Looking back as to how I become a bit of a mess : working long hours
    Plus being up at 5am everyday / brother invading my space and my life / and of course sticking my head in the sand regarding money in general .
    Evan before I went on a d m p , I started buying loads of box files / filling them up till past bursting point / leaving them till I get around to it, but never doing it . Before my brother arrived , I used to take the occasional day off work as a holiday and fill a few black bags up and dispose of them. There is more progress being made ,so one day 98% of them will be gone

Regarding wageslips : the last company I worked for started doing them online .
    However, the wages lady did send me through all those on paper after I left .
    I assume I can throw the rest away ? ( will need to keep p 60 tho)
    Last edited by another casualty; 13-07-2017 at 9:06 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    So today I woke up around 6 am. ( I still haven't put a clock up in the bedroom )
    Everything was fine . Then about 7.45( I was out of bed at this time )
    I suffered severe stomach pain . Over all the years in existence , I cannot remember me ever having stomach pain . Anyhow , I was doubled up on the floor trying various breathing excercises . I never took my medication . Anyhow , after about an hour , I managed to get a gastro capsule that's part of my medication and that did the trick .
    The pain lasted over 3 hours . No gym then Not happy about it , but I'm fine now . With myasthenia , the thymus is effected . It certainly was this morning .
    So , I've just managed to finish the kitchen . The floor needs to be washed , but apart from that it's done
    It won't be too long before the rest is done . Just before I was in pain
    I managed to chuck 4 black bags of rubbish into the newly emptied bin. Next week, more recycling will be disposed of in a similar fashion.

I managed to order lots of frames for the flat . Unfortunately , Tuesday is the first day I can expect anything . It's all scattered .
    I received German emails etc. So slowly, things are going in the right direction .
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 10,082 Posts
    • 56,724 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone.....

AC hope you feel better this morning.

If it's part of your illness then maybe you could keep your gastro capsules near to hand in case of emergencies. Maybe next to your bed. I think when you live alone and you have no one to help you then you need to try and plan ahead - just. In case ......

One more day of chair painting today should see me finished. (For now - still got bookcases, tv and coffee table to go). But going to have a little break. Going to start what will be my bedroom next week. I'm going have DS2s room and my room will become a guest room.

I shall have so much s p a c e.

Right the paint brush awaits.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi LL
    Yeah, back to 'normal' today I've got some andrews liver salts this morning . Something I could've done with yesterday .
    Sometimes I fell like its one step forward and 2 steps back . Having said that, I woke up positive and just did some shopping .
    Have my friend coming round later to help with odds and sods .
    James will be coming to pick something up .

I don't feel so restricted today. Apart from the gasroom , I can actually move freely around the flat at last .

Hope the painting etc goes well LL All sounds good so far
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    All sounding positive
    Have a happy and productive day
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    All sounding positive
    Have a happy and productive day
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Thank you sir ! You also You seem to be making great progress yourself . I'll be back to have a look soon
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 16th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 16,433 Posts
    • 107,677 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Yeah, back to 'normal' today I've got some andrews liver salts this morning . Something I could've done with yesterday .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    I don't feel so restricted today. Apart from the gasroom , I can actually move freely around the flat at last .
    OK, so someone please confirm I'm not the only one who linked those two comments in their minds .

All coming together slowly AC . Back to the gym tomorrow?
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 16th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 19,815 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Haha, Andrews Liver salts and the gas room!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    OK, so someone please confirm I'm not the only one who linked those two comments in their minds .

All coming together slowly AC . Back to the gym tomorrow?
    Save
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    That is brilliant !
    No need to say any more
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    UncannyScot

Save
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I literally spat tea laughing at this....

Will be posting up photos of my baking exploits soon so you are welcome to pop round for some virtual scones
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 4,443 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver

Not sure gas room is best way of describing your spare room AC.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 2 months to go.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty

Not sure gas room is best way of describing your spare room AC.
    It seems not Boiler room ?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 16th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,443 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    It seems not Boiler room ?
    They both sound like torture chambers! Can just see that on estate agents particulars if you ever sell the flat.

How about spare room or is that too boring and predictable?
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 2 months to go.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    They both sound like torture chambers! Can just see that on estate agents particulars if you ever sell the flat.

How about spare room or is that too boring and predictable?
    Well, it's different
    Normally it's a box room/ spare room etc. As the boiler's stick there under the window in a white box, I would think boiler room seems to be adequate
    • harz99
    • By harz99 16th Jul 17, 11:46 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    harz99
    Well, it's different
    Normally it's a box room/ spare room etc. As the boiler's stick there under the window in a white box, I would think boiler room seems to be adequate
    Heated room, no ventilation due to window/boiler site, surely The Sauna would be appropriate...
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    Heated room, no ventilation due to window/boiler site, surely The Sauna would be appropriate...
    Originally posted by harz99
    Mmm, sounds like a posh pad now
    Was gonna say steam room , so I can go let off some steam.
    Better than Letting off gas I suppose
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    Today I woke up around 6.15 am . Felt relaxed . After listening to a bit of the radio I thought I could lay in till about 8.30 or so.
    Ring at the doorbell says otherwise . Part delivery of my amazon order

I then checked the weather app on my phone about whether I would go to the gym .
    It's hot but not humid , so I went . I also decided to walk to the gym and back also .,while in the gym , an ekderly lady decided to have a conversation with me. Nice of her to do so . She could see I am fat and new. Very hard to hear somebody when they're almost whispering in that environment tho.
    Just as I got to my door , there was a delivery lady with another part of my amazon delivery . Talk about timing .
    Still I'm in by the fan now .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    So,I've just received a call from payplan .,
    The bottom line is im more or less going for a partial settlement .
    The option of f&f is more risky to my wallet as I'd more or less be told to pay the full amount . I was told that if I was to go for a partial settlement then the creditors would not chase me for outstanding amounts in the future . If they did, it's in error and all I would have to do is contact payplan .
    I've been asked to give a settlement figure from the sale of my property. I did point out that it looks like I have lots of moneys in the bank etc but payplan say they will not disclose how much is in my account to my creditors and they will tell them only what has been discussed.
    It seems strange to say I'm disabled . I did mention that my disability is a strange one , and because I have funds in my account that I may not be eligible for anything. Having said that , PayPal have been great so far and seem to be with me .
    They have told me that p ra group/ Barclays / westcott, would give me an answer much quicker than Santander . I have to wait till probably Friday week at the earliest to see the verdict .
    A pleasant call . I've just got to remain calm and patient and hope for the best . It's my first proper settlement offer , so we'll see what gives
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just received an email from my solicitor .
    I'm getting all documentation regarding purchase of my flat , deeds etc. Coming tomorrow via special delivery .
    I replied asking whether his firm do a facility where he could keep the most important docs with him securely . It's probably my paranoia , but I don't want anything to happen and deeds lost or damaged etc.

I was asked if I have considered a will . Good question . I won't act on that for some time as it's just brothers/ sisters/ nieces / nephews etc
    We'll see. The logical thing would be if my shall we say, main brother and me signed everything to each other but he is totally mad and eccentric. We are the only ones out of the family to have our own properties . He still has a mortgage £20-30,000 but his place is worth about double the price of mine. He retires near the end of this month and his pension will be equivalent to my monthly wage . Pretty cool.
    He is divorced with no children and lives on his own .
    All that's for another time
    • CEW
    • By CEW 17th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 4,144 Thanks
    CEW
    Hi AC
    I've read every post from this and your previous thread but don't think I've posted anything to date as you seem to have had a lot of very good advice already but wanted to offer an alternative safe place for your deeds.

I assume a solicitor would charge for holding your deeds and if their normal fees are any hing to go by it probably won't be cheap. An alternative would be to lodge a sealed envelope at your bank with the deeds enclosed. From memory the fee for this was very small. The only question I was asked was is my will enclosed. If it was they would ask that this be kept seperate from the sealed envelope so that it could be accessed easily and quickly in case there are any special requests regarding your funeral.

It may be worth looking into before you commit to the solicitors.

CEW
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,565Posts Today

9,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin