Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,750Posts
    • 4,274Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 50
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 7th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    AC, are any of your debts with HSBC? I've just had an F&F accepted for 40% of the original debt...thought of you
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 9,718 Posts
    • 54,577 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    AC, are any of your debts with HSBC? I've just had an F&F accepted for 40% of the original debt...thought of you
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Is that why they only give me 0.4 per cent on my ISA

Actually once the house has gone through I am going to reorganise my bank accts, starting with ditching HSBC

I have banked with HSBC for 50 years........including business banking. They have had a fortune from us over the years. 0.4 per cent is an insulting "reward" for such loyalty.

On a more positive note my little £2k flutter on stocks and shares has netted me over 6 per cent in just over 4 months.

The banks and financial institutions are still making plenty of profit, no wonder they can afford to write off debts. They don't take the hit they just shamelessly fleece savers whilst lapping up stock market gains and raking it in through hedge funds.

It really is outrageous that they get away with this.

Well no more.....I am going to play them at their own game in future. I shall become a rate tart, switching and changing banks and taking their start up bribes.

I have been biding my time but I'm ready to strike back.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 07-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 7th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Sorry LL

My debt was First Direct (still HSBC I know).

All banks are b*****ds
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 7th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,995 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    I think banks are more likely to accept debt settlement offers and to pay out compensation for complaints because they get a fine for every single complaint that makes it to the Financial Ombudsman. And if there is evidence that they ignored someone who notified them that they were experiencing financial difficulties, the Ombudsman can order them to pay out even more.
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £8610.53 / Barclaycard £4,458.69 / Tesco £997.50 / Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 9,718 Posts
    • 54,577 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Sorry LL

My debt was First Direct (still HSBC I know).

All banks are b*****ds
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    It's ok.....I don't blame you for negotiating your debt reduction.

You know the old adage......don't get mad, get even.

Well that's just what I intend to do.

Like I said......we have to get savvy and play them at their own game.

Pity I didn't learn all this stuff when I was younger.......I'd be worth millions now.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    I do have a chair for sitting outside if I wish LL. I've just been doing business in Poole and at the moment I will stay in the shade

Anna , my creditors are Barclays / Santander / mint . One or 2 have been changed to westcott . Can't remember now
    It's been 2 weeks since the payplan review . It will take time .
    One thing I must point out in case nobody knows.. you can get a f&f with payplan . When I hear more I'll let you know .
    Anna ...congratulations on getting a result

I was in nationwide today paying the final sum to James . The cashier did mention it's worth getting better accts etc. She is good I was honest and said that once I got a settlement figure with payplan I will
    go for the best possible deals .

So the sun is shining and we are all happy
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Strange night sleeping . Managed to get 4 straight hours . That mean I woke up around 5am . Eventually it was a struggle to get out of it .
    I know I have things to do . Eventually , the living room is now finished bar tidying up the coffee table . I have 2 and a half crates of albums stuck in a corner . I'm contemplating getting some of those small fake leather cases to put them in and that means that they can be put anywhere . Something to think about . I got the cable tidy , so will do that when I feel right . It won't take long for me to say that the kitchen is now complete . Just a case of tidying the floor and the worktop area . The rest can wait .
    Stiff as a board again . I'll have to venture out shortly . Probably to my friends for a coffee .
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Slowly but surely you are getting there mate. You have managed so much and so well
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thank you sir !
    One thing I do know now, is that 6 months was too optimistic to cram everything in . A year is more realistic . Rome and a day and all that
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well, yesterday was another miserable day due to the heat .
    I ended up doing nothing. Then again it was probably better thst way to give myself a break .
    Better sleep last night . So I managed to get up around 7am expecting a text from James as to what day I will see him - today or tomorrow . It's tomorrow . Glad really, as I need to tidy up a bit today. It should be the last I will see of him for some time .

I then decided to go to the gym, and very glad I did . The stiffness is gone for now . For some reason ,I have a slight spring in my step today.still way too sluggish from what I was , but I need continuity to get me back on track . Hopefully it's coming together .

Living room completed at last . I just need to order some cubic shelving for my lps . This would mean , the three crates can be emptied . Job done .
    The rest is still the same .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Got another 4-5 hours sleep . Woke up about 4.45am .. make that 3-4 hours sleep . Put radio on . Fell asleep around 6 am and eventually got out of bed around 7.15
    Just did a basic tidy up for James who only has 2 jobs left . Shelving and putting a board under the sink as the wall underneath is rotting away . No gym today . It's hammering down with rain as forecast .
    However , I intend to do the rest of the week . The last 2 weeks have only been for 2 days . No way near enough . No excuses for this week or next as that dead air has gone for now . This rain is overdue .

Will try to get stuff tidy once james has gone . I'm looking at my tv/ audio setup in the living room . Those set top boxes are an eyesore .
    The glass unit only has 3 shelves( if you include the top one).
    I may have to get something more tidy and suitable . The only other things I need to get are the picture frames and then I think my spending is over
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    AC, always good to have a break and glad the gym eased your stiffness yesterday.

It's definitely miserable weather today isn't it?

You sound like you've a busy day ahead of you. Hope you manage to achieve everything you'd like.
    Check out my Diary
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks very much chandelier
    James has arrived . One shelf is a different material to the other done will have to come back at some stage .
    I mentioned in passing that the pressure of the water is great on the shower , but useless for a bath. He will investigate shortly .
    Feel a bit ropey today .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    James is going to have a word with the people he got the shower from
    (Soak), and see if they will change part of the unit as there seems to be a problem with poor pressure when running a bath . Great for a shower . I'm not sure if it is that,as in the last flat around the corner I had the same problem. He has to get a shelf anyway, as he was given the wrong type. He fancies having a beer with me also at some stage

So, I did nothing at all today . No more of that . Tomorrow I will go to the gym and start tidying up the place when I return . I sold an old tennis racquet I found in the loft , so that has to be posted to the lucky flebayer.
    It's a case of getting on with it .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Got a bit more done yesterday . So far so good .
    Today ? A p I t a !
    Thought I'd phone hospital in the morning to make sure I haven't missed any appointments / gave new details etc
    Wasn't sure when I'd get a callback from voicemail . Eventually called back this afternoon and succeeded. Next appt .november.

Got a final notice regarding my council tax . I assumed I paid for everything. I distinctly told them the last time I paid in June , to make sure I am now all square with both addresses .
    This demand is from may. I know I've paid it . However, when I phoned the no. On the final warning letter, it kept cutting off.
    Angry :
    Eventually I got through on another no. I paid to stop additional charges. I confused them . All I asked them for , is a breakdown of all the payments I made since last November . How hard can that be ?? I am promised this .
    What it may mean , is that I have to go to nationwide and ask them of a breakdown instead. I'm trying not to have a breakdown myself.

So , I'm looking for about a dozen picture frames . Light in weight , black if poss . Hard to find online . I ideally wanted them for this weekend . I went to wilko . No go . Same with beales.
    I'm still looking on fleabay and amazon .

I then received a letter about a pension I had with friends life.
    They are merging with aviva . Managed to talk to them .
    However, the amount I have is far less than expected. I believe I transferred my last pension to them . It sounds like it may have been transferrred to another policy in the same company.
    The company now has merged/ been taken over by Reuters .
    Can I ger a phone no?!only one ..that keeps ringing and disconnects
    It means I have to go through one of my 20,000 box files in the next couple of weeks to put my mind at rest .
    It took ages to find out that this pension was transferred when I enquired around 2011. I now have to start all over again .
    This time , everything will be accessible when I need it from now on.
    My living room was tidy yesterday . James was well impressed with it
    Today , it's a tmporary mess. Spending time on your hands and knees in enclosed spaces is not fun.
    Oh, and we alll got gvt letters and I opened the neighbour upstairs one by mistake . I put sellotape on it and put 'sorry opened in error'

I'm expecting a smallish shelving unit shortly.
    I will then have dinner , and then keep tackling the mess .
    • Lucylocks
    • By Lucylocks 13th Jul 17, 5:41 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Lucylocks
    I picked up some nice 'box' style black frames from home bargains and the range. From memory I think the home bargains ones were cheapest. Might be worth a look, ikea ribba are also nice
    LBM 28/3/17 £24,971 28/6/17 £14,376 42% paid
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thank you Lucy
    I'm after slim , thin type . Not glass. I may have seen something .
    I went to a place in Poole today and was quoted £40 each
    I quickly made my excuses and left
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    • 25,482 Posts
    • 102,966 Thanks
    candygirl
    Thank you Lucy
    I'm after slim , thin type . Not glass. I may have seen something .
    I went to a place in Poole today and was quoted £40 each
    I quickly made my excuses and left
    Originally posted by another casualty
    £40?!!!! What a rip off
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 13th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,569 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    I was going to suggest The Range as well.
    Getting back on Track
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 3,680 Posts
    • 6,620 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I think you need to go through the box files anyway AC. It sounds as if you never throw paperwork away which means if you need to lay your hands on anything this is a nightmare and very time consuming. I have about 10 box files, 2 are empty and 2 have guarantees and manuals/receipts for white goods, small electronic devices and other bits and pieces like TVs, iPads, phones, clocks etc. 1 has the last years bills for council tax, contracts for utilities (I am paperless for monthly bills so can get anything on line) and direct debit mandate copies for various things. I has payslips and tax forms (up to 6 years for these), 1 has anything to do with cars, 1 has property information, 1 has investments and 1 has pensions. I only keep the latest statements and keep the terms and conditions in booklet forms for accounts and investments. Passports, birth and death certificates etc and spare bank cards I don't use all the time are kept in safe with house deeds.

I am pretty sure the majority of the contents of those box files can be shredded or ditched. Go paperless from now on to reduce space needed to store all of the paperwork.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,101Posts Today

9,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin