Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,827Posts
    • 4,448Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 41
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    AC - how is it going with your debt payment plan - I think I remember you saying something about a review at the beginning of June?
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge
    Good question mrs.p

I don't really want to say too much , so as not to get down about it.
    I had a call from payplan last week . All good . I gave them a bit of an update ( not too much as it was more of a courtesy / appt call).
    I told them what I intended to do. Told them my new address etc
    I will be having the full hours discussion next Friday ( 8 days time ).
    The best thing for me to do is be prepared and hope that I can get a
    Figure that everyone is happy with. I may not get an answer there and then , but I know what to do . By this time next month, it should be paid , whatever the sum may be and I can move on .
    I'd rather not mention any more about it till next Friday
    • irishjohn
    • By irishjohn 15th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    irishjohn
    Hi AC - dentures are cheaper but still costly. I had to wear a denture a long time ago after a fall from a ladder - I was told the shape of my upper teeth wouldn't cope with a bridge and after about 10 years I came across a dentist who said I could get a bridge. I have now had that bridge nearly 30 years and I have to tell you the price difference is worth the benefits of a bridge as opposed to a denture. So in my mind that would be money well spent.
    John
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi John . Thanks for that
    The way things were going, I was wondering if it was a bridge too far' Glad you got sorted in the end .
    I mentioned earlier how I lost the initial tooth. However , it is next to two front teeth that are capped . That happened when I was playing football as a 16 year old . I fell into a goalpost . Everyone's different and what works with one person won't work with another .
    Life I guess
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    So today , I went to d w fitness in branksome and am now a member.
    I have decided to start on Monday . Just had my last cod & chips for some time . I am now officially the fattest and heaviest I have ever been in my life . I won't step onto my new bathroom scales until Monday morning . This also means less visits to the coffee shops etc
    Having said that, I have been going there less anyway due to one thing or another.
    It's got very close outside, but I'm now home
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Good news on the gym membership AC

I go at least twice a week, I find it really does help me with my physical and psychological fitness

Look forward to reading about your progress
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Good news on the gym membership AC

I go at least twice a week, I find it really does help me with my physical and psychological fitness

Look forward to reading about your progress
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Thank you sir
    I used to love doing it . It's gonna take time .( a lot longernow I'm in in my mid '50s) . I'll turn up and see what happens
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 16th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hey congratulations AC - do they have a scale machine at the gym? My gym has a Boditrax machine, it measures EVERYTHING which was scary first time but great to see progress.
    This may sound silly but look for a weight/measurement tracker app for your phone, put your numbers in this weekend and then weight weekly and measurements monthly - I think it'll help you psychologically
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks Anna
    I may not look for the machine in the gym, incase I break it.
    We'll see
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Jun 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just had 4 ciders ( I thought it was 3) . The troubles I have are a) I love good company and get too comfortable too easy .b) this poxy myasthenia gravis makes me slur my speech too much and make me seem somewhat retarded . I'm a quiet man but this is annoying.

Apart from that , I have news tomorrow that will shock myself and folk on here that know the score .
    Tomorrow morning, I will weigh myself for the first time in absolutely ages. I will let you know what that is . As you all know, I'm an open book at times , The positives from this are that I have to sort the remainder of my life out that I didn't do in 6 months. In a way I've done a lot , in a way I could've done more. Tomorrow is when I go to the gym and hopefully start the ball rolling and sort out my appearance and health. The first obstacle is swiping my pass through the glass doors without breaking or damaging them . Bad news about tomorrow - high temperatures . Having said that, I couldve been working in a suit in the middle of London . The bull by the horns will be grabbed ( gently as I like animals )
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jun 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Slight rethink ..it is way too hot ! Madness starting something in this heat. Postponed till weds/ Thursday .
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 19th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 4,475 Posts
    • 12,880 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Is gym air conditioned? Will be fine if so.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Is gym air conditioned? Will be fine if so.
    Originally posted by Verbatim
    Good question. I would imagine so. However waiting for buses and walking around in this heat is a bit much. On Saturday I waited over 20 mins for a bus in poole . Not impressed .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    anna_1977
    I'm off to the gym tonight AC, why don't you go this evening once it's cooled down
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Good point Anna . It's not gonna cool down that much .
    I think it's best to start the routine properly and do it when it's not gonna be so busy .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just walked up to the shops. I'm back and staying in .
    Still , I feel better than this time last year ( obviously )
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Just walked up to the shops. I'm back and staying in .
    Still , I feel better than this time last year ( obviously )
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Thank goodness for your Dyson fan - hope you're getting good use out of it!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thank goodness for your Dyson fan - hope you're getting good use out of it!
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Just using it today for the first time it's pretty groovy .
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 19th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 55,151 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Slight rethink ..it is way too hot ! Madness starting something in this heat. Postponed till weds/ Thursday .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Excellent idea - I know you are desperate to get started but today is so not the right day. Maybe a nice stroll on the beach early evening when it cools down a bit. Find a nice sea front bar or cafe, have supper and a drink whilst you watch the sunset. Thats what I would be doing if I lived by the coast.

As it is I am really enjoying my Derbyshire Mini Break in this glorious weather. I am treating it as a holiday. Yes I know that now I'm retired life is one long holiday but I'm using the heatwave as a perfect excuse for a "staycation" - just "chillin".......

I have gone all "Mediterranean", currently reclining in a nice shady spot in the garden, food and drink a few steps away, books and magazines at the ready or maybe I might just snooze.

Lunch will be anti pasti, cold meats, olives etc. Dinner will be "Frutta del Mare" with salad. Fruit for snacks. Tonight cider for DS2 and a couple of G&Ts for me.

Ok - no beach but no sweltering in a traffic jam either - in fact a perfect "staycation".
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jun 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    another casualty
    Glad you're making the most of it LL
    How did the viewing go ?
    I'm staying put today . James is coming tomorrow , a day earlier than expected . I have to try and make room for him to put wardrobe up. He is coming again on Friday when another chest of drawers is delivered. The place is still like steptoes backyard . Hopefully within the next 2 weeks everything will be in order.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 20th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 55,151 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    The lady IS for turning......
    Ok. So A complete rethink and change of plan.

I don't know if I mentioned it but DS2s relationship with his girlfriend has now gone into "serious" mode and they are starting to think about "plighting their troth". . I'm dead chuffed because she is lovely.

Anyway they are ready to move in together so to make things nice and simple I am going to buy his house so they are free to get cracking, then sell her house, then buy one together.

It will speed things up, save both of us shed loads of money in fees, surveys etc. I love this house, its starting to look really good, just a few final tweaks and flourishes. The area is being gentrified as we speak so there is still plenty of growth left for me to make a nice little profit when I come to sell. Probably next year or around 18 months time.

It can never be a forever house for me because it has a very steep staircase and a flight of deep steps to the front door......your classic Victorian town house. It is starting to look very chic and elegant, the garden is maturing nicely, the neighbours are great and it's just a £5 taxi ride into the city centre if I don't feel like driving.

The only real drawback is that it only has on street parking but it's not metered and I always manage to park outside my. OK I wouldnt risk a nice shiny new Mercedes but I'm still happy with my little Ford Fiesta and it's good for another couple of years yet.

My MRI scan for my knee is booked for Saturday. Actually it doesn't feel too bad at the moment so hopefully the damage isn't too bad and I can go with a more conservative cure of steroid injections and Physio rather than having to go the surgical route. Keeping my fingers crossed.

A lot cooler today, much more comfortable so going to paint a couple of chairs outside.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter