Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,756Posts
    • 4,292Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 40
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Yep! Never bother with extended warranties. Waste of money.
    Settling in nicely AC
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Thank you sir
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    So I decided to go for a coffee up the road in penn hill.
    1 st time this week . Got a warm welcome from a couple of the nice ladies who work there. I was going to go to Poole , but changed my mind as it is getting hot .
    I looked over to the bin store and decided it was time to tidy up the mess I created ( which was partly the fault of the recycling people)
    I saw a white bag full,of rubbish not put into the rubbish bin.
    This was obviously giving a message that they believe the box I put last week is an obstruction .
    So what I did was to dismantle cardboard box, and put it into the recycling bin..just ! I then put the bubble wrap/ polystyrene / polythene into a couple of black bags and put them in the waste bin.
    I had to leave one polythene bag ( white) ontop of the waste bin as it would not fit in either bin. I could do no more. It is better than what it was. Apparently , this fortnightly collection malarkey is less than a year old . The council have all the mathematical brains of Diane Abbott . 7 or 8 flats and only 1 bin for recycling and 1 bin for ordinary rubbish is taking the p@@@s! There are worse things in life
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 14th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    1 st time this week . Got a warm welcome from a couple of the nice ladies who work there. I was going to go to Poole , but changed my mind as it is getting hot .
    I looked over to the bin store and decided it was time to tidy up the mess I created ( which was partly the fault of the recycling people)
    This was obviously giving a message that they believe the box I put last week is an obstruction .
    So what I did was to dismantle cardboard box, and put it into the recycling bin..just ! I then put the bubble wrap/ polystyrene / polythene into a couple of black bags and put them in the waste bin.
    I had to leave one polythene bag ( white) ontop of the waste bin as it would not fit in either bin. I could do no more. It is better than what it was. Apparently , this fortnightly collection malarkey is less than a year old . The council have all the mathematical brains of Diane Abbott . 7 or 8 flats and only 1 bin for recycling and 1 bin for ordinary rubbish is taking the p@@@s! There are worse things in life
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Hi AC,
    Why don't you call the council yourself and request a new bin or at leas t find out the price ?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    I'm thinking about it Anna
    I will look on their website . I know that I can hire something and will be charged £36 for the first item and £12 for each additional item ,providing 2 people can carry it . I have 2 other things to consider:
    James will be getting rid of some stuff for me / on Friday the ordinary rubbish will be collected . I may be better off seeing the state of play on Friday morning .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just looked on their website to collect big stuff: £30 for large item ,
    £6 for each additional item . I'll probably book that anyway .
    Can't rely on James too much .
    • harz99
    • By harz99 14th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    harz99
    Each dwelling should have there own bins, unless they are the large 4 wheeled commercial variety, in which case you almost certainly need two of each type for 7/8 dwellings. Shouldn't be any difference whether flats or houses. Get in touch with the Council Officer responsible for refuse and recycling.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks harz . Good idea
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Other news : received an email from bet365. It was informing me that I could incur charges every 28 days until my acct reaches zero.
    What happened was, I just had a small flutter on the footy ( eoro 2016) . It was less than £30. I've always had a bet on the World Cup,or Euro . Not any more as I'm bored of it .
    Anyhow, after contacting customer services I received £19.
    Nice surprise . I may look at my William hill acct and hope something's in there . There maybe a couple of quid in there .
    I don't normally do online betting . In fact those were my last bets
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would say steer well clear of online betting AC.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    I would say steer well clear of online betting AC.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thanks enthusiastic
    Very wise words . Only did two bets on the footie . Never again.
    As the last tournament was rubbish,and the World Cup next year is watered down to a farcical state there will be no more betting from me . Not one for poker. Don't understand it
    A friend I used to know years ago, was a heavy spread better.
    Now that is madness ! I saw him in many bad states .
    He had serious money problems obviously .
    We cut ties when I moved on jobwise and location wise at the end of the last century
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 14th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Thought of you at the weekend AC - DH had to go to London to visit family and he said it was so hot he could hardly breathe.
    Getting back on Track
    • triple choc chip
    • By triple choc chip 14th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    triple choc chip
    Here you go AC, this is on the Poole website:
    Bins provided to flats
    For developments of up to 3 apartments individual bins should be used. Provision needs to be made for 1x140 litre refuse bin and 1x240 litre recycling bin per apartment. For developments of 3 or more apartments communal bins will be used (except where prior agreement has been obtained from the Council as Waste Collection Authority).
    The number of communal bins that will be provided reflects the need to control contamination of recycling in communal bins, so capacity is provided on a 50:50 split between refuse and recycling. The overall combined capacity given to flats equates to that of individual dwellings.
    The communal bins are available in 660 litre and 1100 litre sizes (and in exceptional cases, such as house conversions or Elderly Person Dwellings, 360 litres). A combination of these sizes is acceptable but the largest possible size bins will be used and will normally be an 1100 litre bin wherever possible. The table below gives an indication of the number of 1100 litre and 660 litre communal bins required for the number of apartments proposed based on the premise that all apartments have more than one bedroom. If your development is for 1 bedroom/ studio apartments only or a combination of 1 and multiple bedroom apartments, the recycling capacity and refuse capacity could be reduced by agreement with the Waste Collection Authority.
    (The table didn't copy and paste properly)

To discuss arrangements for the collection of domestic waste and recycling please contact:
    Environmental and Consumer Protection Services Unit 1, New Fields Business Park
    Stinsford Road
    Poole
    Dorset BH17 0NF
    01202 261700
    Email: environment@poole.gov.uk
    Life's greatest satisfactions: Getting the last laugh, having the last word and paying the last instalment.
    Debt Free since 6.8.13
    Saving for Xmas 2017 #3: £345/£650 53%
    Emergency fund £1k
    House deposit £30.02k 100%+
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks very much for that triple choc!
    I did look a little further today regarding hiring a bin . It didn't say when they would collect it . Long story , but I'll look further . Great help here tho

Mrs. P : it was about this time last year ( definitely June), where the temperature was over 30 degrees Celsius for 2-3 days. I remember putting in a holiday request for those days ,but being refused because my colleague came up with a c@@k and bull story about things he had to do with his wife and in the end I ended up being rebellious by not wearing a collar and tie for 2 days as it was unbearable .its in my previous diary
    The temperatures are going in the same direction . The good thing about now, is im now in pooole !
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 15th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hey Ac, what does today hold for you? a walk along the coast or similar?
    I'm sat in my office in hampshire, cna't complain though as I get to wear casual clothing and the fire exit is open so lovely breeze coming through. School finishes in 3 weeks tomorrow (not that I'm counting) - can't bloody wait - 8 weeks off!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hello Anna

Sounds like you're well ontop of things . I have a dental appointment in an hour . I have 2 things left to have done . Today is a consultation as to whether I could have a bridge/ implant or similar.
    I bit on a wire and pulled very hard. One of my front teeth flew across the room.. no pain..just shock. I had a post put in ,but eventually the tooth kept falling out. So I hope I can get something sorted .
    The other thing I'm thinking of ..having my teeth lightened just a little. I may not need it . I don't smoke or anything . I'm thinking that after all the work I've had done over the last few weeks. , I might as well have the best I can now and just have 6 monthly appointments.

As the weather is gonna be good for another week at least, I will be going out and about and spread my wings a bit .
    I will be visiting the gym to look around either this afternoon or tomorrow . On Monday , I should be signed up as a member for either
    1 or 3 months to start me up .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 15th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    hope dentist goes ok AC - my daughter had her teeth whitened after braces came off and they look amazing - just don't go too white haha!!

I noticed a couple of our local gyms have summer 3 month deals at the moment so hopefully there's something near you
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks Anna
    Just going through the menus . The tooth whitening involves a bit of d I y .
    If I decide to go for the dearest option( the dentist does half the work for you ), and go for the bridge and additional work it works out around
    £2000. Cheaper than London prices. It means everything's done then till Xmas . Yes I mentioned Xmas
    • harz99
    • By harz99 15th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    harz99
    Thanks Anna
    Just going through the menus . The tooth whitening involves a bit of d I y .
    If I decide to go for the dearest option( the dentist does half the work for you ), and go for the bridge and additional work it works out around
    £2000. Cheaper than London prices. It means everything's done then till Xmas . Yes I mentioned Xmas
    Surely dentures would be hugely cheaper!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    another casualty
    Surely dentures would be hugely cheaper!
    Originally posted by harz99
    Good point harz . Unfortunately , it comes down to the condition of gums etc. & technical waffle . Bear in mind , it comes down to appointments plus I'm having 3 jobs done . If it was london , I would estimate another £1,000-£1,500 ontop of that .
    I'm having ceramic crown fit / ceramic bridge fit , plus impressions etc
    I'm very good at impressions but they are obviously better
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 15th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    AC - how is it going with your debt payment plan - I think I remember you saying something about a review at the beginning of June?
    Getting back on Track
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,981Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin