Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,742Posts
    • 4,248Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 39
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 54,455 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Well ...cant help with the sunshine here I'm afraid...dreadful day.

Question.......why are the nicest houses always just out of our price bracket?

Anyway I think I have found my house.......

I just need to look in every pocket, raid every piggy bank and look down the back of the sofa to scrape every last penny to be able to buy it.

Actually, I have decided what the hell - I am going to get a small mortgage so I don't have to clean out my savings to get it. So I just need to negotiate the price now.

I have already spoken to my broker and he can get me a good deal. These abysmal interest rates are death for savers but great for borrowing so I've figured I'll take advantage of a two year fix and review my options further down the line.

2nd viewing booked for Tuesday, give DS2 the chance to see it before I make an offer but I am pretty certain he will agree it's by far the best we've seen.

It's actually just a 5 minute walk from where we used to live so we know the street really well. Although it's a private road closed to through traffic we used to walk down it as a short cut to the shops.

It needs some TLC because the owner is 75 and has been a bit unwell so has let things slip a bit but as he was a civil engineer he has made sure that the building itself has been well maintained.

So........hopefully not too many nasty surprises. Just a fairly easy refurbishment job.

Fingers crossed I get it.

I've been busy gardening, it looks beautiful even if I do say so myself.

Re the knee........I stumbled in Helsinki whilst walking on cobbles. Managed to right myself without falling but wrenched my knee in the process. Suspected meniscal tear.

I'm seeing the consultant on Wednesday to see what needs to be done. I can weight bear and have it strapped up, doing the RICE thing. The pain has eased off quite a bit so I'm hoping the damage is minimal and I get away without surgery.

Again fingers (and toes) crossed.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 10-06-2017 at 1:53 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    So with all the voting shenanigans Thursday and yesterday it is now back to real life. What a mess!

Sorry to hear about your knee LL, how annoying. I remember the cobbles in Helsinki when we did our Baltic cruise we did a walking tour around the city. I guess if you can still walk and weight bear at least that is something. Just keep it raised and rest as much as possible - difficult I know when you have gardening and housework and places to be

We have awful weather here today in Cornwall but we are looking forward to our Centre Parcs holiday in Longleat in a weeks time. Four generations from my 21 month old granddaughter to my 86 year old step dad. It will be great to see my niece and nephew there with my sister and 12 of us altogether. I hope the weather is ok for that. My OH is busy putting up new fitted wardrobes in our spare room so I am his apprentice for that

Good luck with the house offer. Hope the flat is coming on ok AC.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 10th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    dreaming
    Well ...cant help with the sunshine here I'm afraid...dreadful day.
    Question.......why are the nicest houses always just out of our price bracket?

Anyway I think I have found my house.......

I just need to look in every pocket, raid every piggy bank and look down the back of the sofa to scrape every last penny to be able to buy it.

Again fingers (and toes) crossed.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    It's always the way LL - but if it makes your heart beat fast (and doesn't make your head explode) then it sounds right. You are very level-headed so I know you won't jump without looking first (especially with that knee) but yes - the interest rates are good for borrowers. Fingers and toes crossed here.

Sounds as if you have been busy AC - hope the flat is starting to feel like home now.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hopefully this is the one for you LL. I was gonna say , best foot forward ... sounds like a muscle strain or slight tear . Everything crossed
    It's a cloudy kind of day here, but dry. A little close, but a nice breeze.

Sleeping pattern so so . Anyway , I did the first thing I did for months ..I had a bath at long last ! It took an eternity to fill , but it was what I was pining for ages . I then went for a walk to ashley cross , and found another coffee shop I had forgotten about . This one does more than just a black Americano . Proper stuff ! I then decided to visit my friend and family unannounced . Shouldn't have really but glad I did
    I'm now back in steptoes back yard ( my home ). I must say , the more I look at this flat , I do love it . A combination of getting my finger out and having james excellent help and guidance I'll get there
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 12th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    AC- I love a bath too. Glad to hear you're loving your flat!

LL- how did the second viewing go?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    Not much going on last couple of days . Yesterday, I ordered a couple of essentials : a microwave from Argos , an ironing board and a mop from wilko. Very rock 'n'roll! On a nice warm sunny day , I had to wait in till about 1 pm for the items to be delivered. It was like a cartoon: Argos kept me well informed with email and text. Wilko use d x . Funny thing was wilko and d x delivered at 12.45.argos delivered about 12.50.

I went out and got a few groceries . Then, I decided to finally register my washier dryer , my fridge freezer and my 2,dyson products the vacuum and fan. I did everything over the phone . Handy really, as I can't for the life of me find the paraphernalia for the fridge freezer. I actually put it in the fridge one day as a reminder, but of course when you badly need something ..it disappears !
    What is interesting and not surprising , domestic and general handle extended warranties for a cross section of many products and manufacturers. Normally, I ignore extended warranties for TVs and the like
    However, the cost of the extended warranty for both appliances that run into at least 2019 were cheap imho. The warranty for that starts immediately with the first payment due on the 1 st of the month. My choice
    Cost for fridge..£2.72 per month/ washer dryer ..£3.83 per month.

I managed to put a rubbish bag, that was beginning to smell into the bin .
    I may be able to take stuff out of the box that wasn't collected by the recycling men and put that in with the rubbish tomorrow morning.
    Bin collection this Friday I believe .

Spoke to James who gave me an update . He's still waiting for wardrobe / drawers etc which should've been delivered within 2 days. He gas got it coming in dribs and drabs . He should be here next weds , all going well.
    I have a dental consultation as to whether I could have a bridge , implant or something on Thursday .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 13th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Sorry AC but how long are the warranties for ? I never bother with any extended warranties
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry AC but how long are the warranties for ? I never bother with any extended warranties
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Hi Anna .
    Warranties until,Feb 2019 . I have got a 14 day cooling off period in case its a bad idea . What happens after that is i would still be covered but at an increased price . With the cover I now have ( should I choose it) is that there would be no call out charges . Parts guaranteed for 10 years for washer dryer
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    OK so basically it's a 8 month warranty.... what manufacturer products did you buy as loads comes with long warranties now
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    Beko fridge freezer . Hotpoint washer dryer .
    I'll look into this further incase I made a mistake .
    The good side of it is ive registered for my immediate 12 month guarantee should I cancel . In my last place in twickenham the washer dryer was guaranteed for 10 years by previous owner . I managed to get 12 trouble free years and had the pump replaced once for £80 callout charge.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 13th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Do check what their standard warranties are - don't want to see you being ripped off
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I never go for extended warranties. Most are poor value and have too many exclusions
    • irishjohn
    • By irishjohn 13th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    irishjohn
    extended warranties
    I tend to steer clear of extended warranties. They may seem like a low outlay every month but they all add up and over the years come to a fair bit of expenditure. I have my reasons for this.

First of all we have the Consumer Rights Act in place to protect us in terms of the quality and longevity of our purchases.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Most items we purchase have at least a 1 year guarantee if not more, and it is the retailer responsibility to carry out any repairs or replacements under the warranty or guarantee.

Over and above the 1 year cover we are also protected by the Act in that if an item fails to live up to its promises - and can push for repair or replacement outside the initial warranty period. Most items we purchase should operate well beyond 1 year. It may be a hassle to get a repair or replacement carried out but how likely is anyone to have a run of bad luck with lots of items failing.

Items we buy today tend to fail less than previously, with improved technologies and manufacturing processes.

Finally - if an external warranty is used the item is likely to be removed for repair and it may be quite some time before it is returned - and in the meantime you have to cope without it. I would rather think about the age of the item and decide if it may be worn out and perhaps decide to replace instead of repair. At the time I can decide what my budget allows - new - second hand - or refurbished.

I just think its hassle to have to deal with some remote warranty company by phone and depend on them to get my washer or whatever sorted out. Better to keep the monthly payments and perhaps put them into another savings account to accumulate a sum to be used for replacements or repairs by local tradesmen as and when needed.

My only exception is my gas central heating boiler. I pay monthly maintenance for that to ensure I get an annual service and priority treatment shouldl the heating fail in the middle of winter.
    John
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    Actually , on reflection it looks like I should cancel the extended warranties . At the end of the day I expect to get a year from these white goods . Probably more . I'd be better off buying like for like once they start to deteriorate .

John .. you just beat me to it Yes.. boilers are essential things to maintain

Thanks
    Last edited by another casualty; 13-06-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    • irishjohn
    • By irishjohn 13th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    irishjohn
    Actually , on reflection it looks like I should cancel the extended warranties . At the end of the day I expect to get a year from these white goods . Probably more . I'd be better off buying like for like once they start to deteriorate .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Good Decision AC
    John
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks John
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Well said John. I agree with all that. Far better AC to put the £6.50 into a separate savings account for replacement of white goods as and when it may be necessary. We have had 13 years out of our Bosch washing machine so far and only just replaced our Fridge/Freezer after 17 years.
    • countthecost
    • By countthecost 13th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    countthecost
    I believe that Dyson upright and cylinder vacuum cleaners come with their own 5 year warranty and Dyson fans and hand held vacuums have a 2yr warranty. Did you decide to go ahead and buy an Apple imac. Hope you're settling in nicely.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    I believe that Dyson upright and cylinder vacuum cleaners come with their own 5 year warranty and Dyson fans and hand held vacuums have a 2yr warranty. Did you decide to go ahead and buy an Apple imac. Hope you're settling in nicely.
    Originally posted by countthecost
    Thanks
    Yes , I spoke to dyson first and all is good . No extended warranty here . The iMac will be got within the next couple of weeks once james has fitted shelves / cupboards etc.
    The other one has got too old now and I cannot use any useful
    applications . Pre snow leopard and all that ..
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Yep! Never bother with extended warranties. Waste of money.
    Settling in nicely AC
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,037Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin