Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,913Posts
    • 4,624Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 38
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 6th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hmm I have apple tv and they've never frozen

On another note, did you know you can download the apple remote app to your iphone
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Thanks Anna . Yes I have that
    It's a common problem apparently. All this stuff is great when functioning properly . Pita when not
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, I woke up at a decent time this morning. I must admit that I seem to be sleeping better over the last few days . So far so good.
    The intentions this morning were to go for a coffee , have a long walk and pickup my prescriptions on the way home . Then , go through my flat which resembles steptoes back yard.
    However, for some reason I feel heavy, lethargic and groggy.
    I only went for the coffee . I shall do something to the flat when I pickup later. It's the medication.Thats all I can think of.

Spoke to James. The furniture is coming to his place. Great for me as it hopefully gives me time to try and reduce / move the never ending clutter .
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 56,074 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Just pace yourself AC. Slow but sure wins the race and all that.

Remember how to eat the elephant, one bite at a time.!!!

When I'm overwhelmed I go for the one hour a day rule. You can do a lot in an hour.

Good news that you are now starting to get more sleep. That's bound to help.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just pace yourself AC. Slow but sure wins the race and all that.

Remember how to eat the elephant, one bite at a time.!!!

When I'm overwhelmed I go for the one hour a day rule. You can do a lot in an hour.

Good news that you are now starting to get more sleep. That's bound to help.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Hi LL

Yeah, you're right. No need to rush. Everything's nearly done . Just the messy stuff to sort out . Pacing myself is the way to go.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just received an email from the now ex landlady . She has added another £15 to the cleaning bill . Total £115
    I forwarded the email and asked them to confirm that's it .
    She contacted utility warehouse and confirmed that I have already been in touch with them .
    I never replied to her email , as I am now moving on .
    On the plus side , my electricity bills were cheap for the 6 months I was there . Obviously , the next 2 bills may be different as utility warehouse work a month in arrears , so I won't count too many chickens. It does mean though that her cheap electricity has come to an end . With her dodgy electrics she had better watch out incase she gets a severe electric shock before her next gullible tenants move in.

I think it's all over now
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Regarding Apple t v : I forgot to charge the remote . The old remote has battery. That one works fine . Oh well, I've given it a factory reset pita!
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 8th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    copperjar
    Hi Copperjar,
    I have 3 Bose bluetooth stereos in the house and am v pleased with them.
    We don't subscribe to any additional music just stream you tube etc through it. Do you have amazon prime? If so I know they do music streaming included (no idea how good the selection is though).
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Thanks Anna. I've looked at the Bose systems and like them. Do you stream via an app then? Got to confess my knowledge in this area is useless! I've only just discovered I can play YouTube on my TV!

PS Hope everyone gets out to vote today. Throwing it down here - always surprised how much the weather affects our democracy!
    Last edited by copperjar; 08-06-2017 at 7:00 AM.
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi copperjar / everyone
    I'm not voting this time around because of the move. Then again I made the most important vote last year in my lifetime ( brexit).
    I think they are all useless that promise the earth, and take more back.

I have a dental hygienist appt this morning . Then I have to see what I can do about my missing front tooth .
    Need to get my act together regarding tidying up the flat .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 8th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Thanks Anna. I've looked at the Bose systems and like them. Do you stream via an app then? Got to confess my knowledge in this area is useless! I've only just discovered I can play YouTube on my TV!

PS Hope everyone gets out to vote today. Throwing it down here - always surprised how much the weather affects our democracy!
    Originally posted by copperjar
    Hi,
    I mainly use music on my iphone with bluetooth but my kids use the free spotify and a couple of other app no problem.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Went to the dentist and discovered that , the appointment was for tomorrow . Doh! No big deal .
    Just met the lady neighbour upstairs . Very nice lady . We had a brief chat . All good . I let her know that I put things out that may not be picked up by the recycling people . She was cool I did say that if any of my stuff isn't picked up then I'll probably hire a skip for the day

Just had a belated breakfast and will hopefully tackle the mess shortly
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 56,074 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Well I will be doing my duty and I will be voting. I feel I have to......so many people have died so that I have the freedoms to vote. And, at the risk of sounding all militant, There are still millions of women across the globe who do not have a voice.

And of course the terrorists want to deny us our voice. They want us silent and compliant whilst they destroy our freedoms and values...

Well not on my watch!!!!

Although I have to say I don't feel that any of them are worthy of my vote. Liars, cheats and parasites - all of them. Those that seem half decent seem incompetent.

This time all I can do is follow my conscience and try to chose those who will do the least damage to my wonderful country.

Well now for some fun stuff........

I have damaged my knee. I meet with the orthopaedic surgeon next Wednesday to decide what's needs to be done. I know I'm being a bit of a wimp.....but have to say don't much fancy surgery.

Three viewings this weekend.

AC - I Suggest you get yourself a diary. Of course you would need to check it every day........lol.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 08-06-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hope the knee is bearable LL..How did you do it ?
    My friend sprained his ankle last week in his garden . Things happen .
    It reminded me of 3 years ago this week ( French open was on ),
    I got out of my bed at 5am my foot touched the floor and I stood on broken glass.Dont ask! I went to the nurse in the surgery . That led to me going to Teddington memorial as an emergency patient .
    Local and small, it wasn't too bad . Unfortunately , I had to go to Middlesex hospital to have an operation . That wasn't a great experience . Went in Monday , came out Weds.

I put more stuff to be recycled for tomorrow . Hopefully there's no problem . I will put more stuff in once the bin is changed/ emptied .
    ( very) slowly getting there
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 8th Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    LL, that's exactly how I feel about voting this time around but I had to drag myself to the polling station. My local MP has kept his seat for the last 20 years, I don't know how because he is only visible around election time.

AC, hope you manage to get all the recycling and rubbish sorted out this week - it is a big pain when you first move in somewhere, I was lucky with moving to my current flat as we were some of the first tenants to move in to the block (it was just before Xmas) and we were able to get rid of all our boxes etc in the communal rubbish and recycling. I don't know what we'd do now because I have no idea where our local tip is or even what the protocol is with council collections from our block - I should probably find out!
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £3318.34 / Barclaycard £6360.70 / Lloyds £3560 / Tesco £972.50/ Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks Georgina .
    I'll find out tomorrow . Fingers crossed it's all gone .
    I have one option already mentioned , with the skip.
    Another option would be to see if I could pay james to do a rubbish run.

We'll see
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 9th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Poor nights sleep again . I heard the recycling men around 7.20 this morning . They emptied most of the bin. They put the large cardboard box from ontop of their bin, to ontop of the rubbish bin.
    I put 4 black bags which contain old curtains , plastic and cardboard into the empty recycle bin . Also 2 flattened cardboard boxes on the side of it . The best thing is not to put anything else in there and not upset the neighbours . It is also best to hire a skip for a day and just chuck everything that has to go into it .
    Next Friday is the ordinary rubbish. No room to put anything there , so another reason to go for a skip .
    Once that's all done , then in theory it should be a lot easier being single / 1 person waste etc.
    Fortnightly sucks
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 9th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Poor nights sleep again . I heard the recycling men around 7.20 this morning . They emptied most of the bin. They put the large cardboard box from ontop of their bin, to ontop of the rubbish bin.
    I put 4 black bags which contain old curtains , plastic and cardboard into the empty recycle bin . Also 2 flattened cardboard boxes on the side of it . The best thing is not to put anything else in there and not upset the neighbours . It is also best to hire a skip for a day and just chuck everything that has to go into it .
    Next Friday is the ordinary rubbish. No room to put anything there , so another reason to go for a skip .
    Once that's all done , then in theory it should be a lot easier being single / 1 person waste etc.
    Fortnightly sucks
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Well done AC

I bet fortnighly sucks a lot less than a mortgage and london though
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 9th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    You are right Anna

Just been to dental hygienist . A few more dental appointments and everything should be sorted. Six monthly appointments is all I should need after my next couple of treatments.
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 9th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    Glad to see you're settling in ok AC.

I didn't vote this time for the first time ever! Really felt odd abstaining but I just didn't have faith in any of them.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 10th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 6,212 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Hey AC, can you make sure the weather's nice this week? I'm heading down your way (Swanage) later!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks worrier
    Gigervamp : it's supposed to be . Have a great day !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,425Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin