Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,399Posts
    • 3,646Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 25
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 18th May 17, 11:47 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    Hi AC- it's your money to spend I know, and I know others posters have your best interests at heart. I also know how expensive furnishing a property can be, as I'm in the process of doing it myself. I just think get the very best you can afford and not something that'll 'do' until you can afford better as you end up buying stuff twice. Of course best doesn't necessarily mean priciest.

Sound like you've done okay so far.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 19th May 17, 12:22 AM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 19,663 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    I second Ikea Pax wardrobes. They are customisable and you just pick up the bits you need off the shelves and take them away.

Obviously, they're flatpack, but as long as you read the instructions carefully, they're easy to put together. I've put a load of Ikea stuff together, including the kitchen units we bought (husband fitted them to the walls).

They come in different heights and depths too, so can hold a lot of stuff.

Take a look at the link above.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 3:15 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry AC, don't want to be on at you! You really are doing great and have come a long way. 6 months and it's clear to see on here that your wellbeing has improved and you are much happier. Want that to continue for you as long as possible so it's important to keep as many pennies in your pocket as you can. Like I say, maybe I go the other way and never tip, you're definitely kinder than me. Don't be more skint than me though!
    Originally posted by copperjar
    Thanks copperjar
    I think that apart from the health, I'm not doing too bad .
    I was like a programmed parrot telling everyone I'll do this , that and the other within 6 months. . I'm still having a go albeit a bit behind schedule
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 3:16 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi AC- it's your money to spend I know, and I know others posters have your best interests at heart. I also know how expensive furnishing a property can be, as I'm in the process of doing it myself. I just think get the very best you can afford and not something that'll 'do' until you can afford better as you end up buying stuff twice. Of course best doesn't necessarily mean priciest.

Sound like you've done okay so far.
    Originally posted by Worrierwalker
    Thanks worrier
    Hope you get sorted also.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 3:18 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    I second Ikea Pax wardrobes. They are customisable and you just pick up the bits you need off the shelves and take them away.

Obviously, they're flatpack, but as long as you read the instructions carefully, they're easy to put together. I've put a load of Ikea stuff together, including the kitchen units we bought (husband fitted them to the walls).

They come in different heights and depths too, so can hold a lot of stuff.

Take a look at the link above.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    Thanks for that gigervamp
    I will discuss this with my friend on sat.
    It's a shame neither of us drives and that IKEA is just a tad out of the way .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th May 17, 8:58 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Thanks for that gigervamp
    I will discuss this with my friend on sat.
    It's a shame neither of us drives and that IKEA is just a tad out of the way .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Southampton Ikea deliver AC - it may cost 50 but that'll could well be cheaper than what you could spend - funnily enough I'll be there tomorrow with youngest daughter - dreading it, hate the place but it has a purpose
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    Southampton Ikea deliver AC - it may cost 50 but that'll could well be cheaper than what you could spend - funnily enough I'll be there tomorrow with youngest daughter - dreading it, hate the place but it has a purpose
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Thanks Anna
    Good luck with that. I'll be considering this over the weekend
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 19th May 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    I agree IKea is great and yes they deliver you can go and look at it all not that far from you and then order online I believe.

Don't rely on Payplan to settle your debts they will get a cut, works like a cash back from the creditors so you won't pay it. It does mean they have an interest in doing it for you but the creditors will get more if you offer yourself thereby you will get a better settlement rate. I speak from experience as I used to work for them.

Final comment don't tip everyone when you don't have to James didn't save you money on those carpets it was your MSE following that shouted at you for using CarpetRigth! Take care and get those debts settled
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    I agree IKea is great and yes they deliver you can go and look at it all not that far from you and then order online I believe.

Don't rely on Payplan to settle your debts they will get a cut, works like a cash back from the creditors so you won't pay it. It does mean they have an interest in doing it for you but the creditors will get more if you offer yourself thereby you will get a better settlement rate. I speak from experience as I used to work for them.

Final comment don't tip everyone when you don't have to James didn't save you money on those carpets it was your MSE following that shouted at you for using CarpetRigth! Take care and get those debts settled
    Originally posted by TallGirl
    Wow! Thanks for all the great insight tallgirl
    Once I've done painting today, I will send email to all creditors .
    I will take your tip
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    I don't think emails will work for something like this call or send letter even better if you had a settlement offer before remind them of this and make a counter offer. I know you don't like doing things by phone the creditors will have an amount they are willing to take so try and haggle. Don't contact all at once see how you go one by one and say x accepted this will you do the same. Get it off your books etc etc.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • harz99
    • By harz99 19th May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    harz99
    I don't think emails will work for something like this call or send letter even better if you had a settlement offer before remind them of this and make a counter offer. I know you don't like doing things by phone the creditors will have an amount they are willing to take so try and haggle. Don't contact all at once see how you go one by one and say x accepted this will you do the same. Get it off your books etc etc.
    Originally posted by TallGirl
    Agreed re simple email not being enough, however no reason why a letter constructed on Word or similar can't be emailed as an attachmen! Head the email as "Attached letter fao..." and department name.t
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 11:42 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks folks . Will phone next week .
    I've just done round one of the awkward job of painting the bathroom
    Feel worn out today
    Kitchen is a dump. Need to keep focused as it should be the final day of painting
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th May 17, 12:18 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hey, I think an email is better than a call AC, then you have a paper trail
    Don't exhaust yourself too much as you know you'll suffer the next day!
    Kitchen will soon come together once painting is completed and then the fn part of moving stuff in can happen
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 3:39 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well, everything is painted now . Except for a second coat on the boiler cupboard and a strange white box in the kitchen. They will be done in the morning. Absolutely worn out . Have to get some food shopping later, which I don't fancy doing . Tomorrow, I will cut up the carpet , remove the frog tape and get my friend to help me with wardrobe measurements and fridge freezer/ washing machine .
    Just had a call from beales: my mattress is also being delivered next Thursday . The same day as my furniture delivery .
    I think that's it tor the moment
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 19th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    dreaming
    Can hardly believe it's Friday again. Lots going on for you again AC and lots of good advice about debt repayment offers. Well done on getting most of the painting done - you probably ought to try to find out what the "strange white box is".
    One thing to bear in mind when measuring for furniture is that is you are measuring an alcove remember to allow for skirting boards. You probably already know that but it is easy to forget and then find your lovely new furniture doesn't quite fit without removal of said skirtings (I speak from experience here).
    Fed up with the rain now as I have some plants which need putting in the ground here, and Alfie-cat is definitely not impressed.
    Good luck with the carpet removal (not a pleasant job ime) - good of your friend to help you out though. One last push and you're nearly there.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th May 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks dreaming
    Blazing sunshine here . Will bear that in mind regarding skirining board.
    It never crossed my mind tbh. I thought I bought wardrobe and it gets pushed against the wall . One wall has a plug socket, so I have to watch out for that as well. Hope Alfie is well. Spoke to big yellow. Next Saturday , is when my stuff is in my new home.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st May 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, painted more coats on the whole flat yesterday and today.
    My friend did not think picssso sprung to mind. That dulux paint was not pure brilliant white as sit says on the tin. Just watery white .
    Still it's done .
    Removed carpet this morning, hoping that it'll be accepted by the carpet people tomorrow . Rolled as compact as possible.
    They will be there before 9am tomorrow apparently .

Friend cut shelf in my formerally fridge freezer fitted cabinet .
    My fridge freezer has a facility where you can get drink from outside the fridge door.
    We moved washing machine into bathroom until Tuesday if james wants to give me a hand installing .
    Totally worn out , as expected. My friend came over to my present fat and I had a couple of beers and ciders.
    His wife likes the flat .
    This time next week , apart from ordering wardrobes/ shelving units everything is done. I will have to obviously tidy up sat/ Sunday and will then have a choice as to where I want to sleep until next Tuesday
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 22nd May 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Flo61
    Just to go back to the tipping issue, instead of giving cash why not show your appreciation by giving positive customer feedback? Requires a bit of time and effort but I've done this occasionally in past naming individuals who have gone 'above and beyond'. Got a personal reply once from director saying he would be going to personally thank employee. Bet it made her day!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 22nd May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    I always do that flo
    I haven't received a questionairre regarding the fridge freezer/ washing machine delivery tho.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 22nd May 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    another casualty
    So , after a roughish morning, I'm here at the new flat awaiting the carpet fitters. I expect a call telling me they're on their way .
    I fancy a coffee, but don't want to miss them .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

2,818Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin