Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,405Posts
    • 3,668Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 24
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just been over to the flat . I think another 2 days ( max) should sort everything out and everything should be ready for Monday when carpet is fitted.
    Just received paraphernalia from insignia blinds .
    There are 8 blinds to be fitted . Downside is it doesn't look like they will be fitted until esrly June . Just as well the curtains havent been taken down .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Went to wilko in Poole , to get Stanley knife and a few other bits.
    They have a lot of decent stuff that's cheap . Some cube storage units caught my eye.
    Had to go to nationwide and cancel next fridays appointment , as that will be the day I'll be moving my stuff out of big yellow , if all goes to plan .
    Waiting for man and van to reply to my voicemail .
    Waiting also for delivery of my air bed from qvc.
    Phoned james and asked could he repair wall under sink ( he's gonna buy some board and board it up). He still has to do shelving on tues, and if the shower door turns up he'll do that too. This stops me buying new kitchen units and keeping the one I have for a few years .
    I may go,over to flat later and either touch up or paint bathroom .
    Tired. May leave till tomorrow a m .
    Haven't much time till Friday . Forgot string to tie up old carpet once I cut it down to size .
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 5,742 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sounds like you are getting there AC. I would make a list going forward and costing for priorities.

Buy wardrobes for bedroom (I think this is essential so won't moan at you so long as you buy mse - research ones you like either in furniture stores or online, don't go for first thing you see, measure up to make sure they will fit and then see if you can get them cheaper anywhere else). If you did not decull clothes which don't fit and you don't wear before you moved from Twickenham then do so when all your stuff is out of storage. Some places will buy unwanted clothes or just recycle them.

PAYPLAN - pay it off asap before you get to stage where you have spent all your money and still have the debt. Get this millstone away from round your neck. As I and others have said contact your creditors direct and offer Full and Final. If they don't accept go slightly higher. Don't rely on stepchange - they don't have the power to negotiate full and finals. They helped you set the DMP up and got interest stopped etc. Time for you to pull your finger out now and help yourself.

Once all your stuff is out of storage, reassess what you have, sell what you do not need or freecycle.

DO A BUDGET FOR MONTHLY COSTS. MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO IT. Get your monthly utilities down as far as possible.

Eat healthily and exercise more.

Look for part time job.

There you are AC, I have made the list for you

Good luck with finishing off the flat and moving in.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 1:19 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sounds like you are getting there AC. I would make a list going forward and costing for priorities.

Buy wardrobes for bedroom (I think this is essential so won't moan at you so long as you buy mse - research ones you like either in furniture stores or online, don't go for first thing you see, measure up to make sure they will fit and then see if you can get them cheaper anywhere else). If you did not decull clothes which don't fit and you don't wear before you moved from Twickenham then do so when all your stuff is out of storage. Some places will buy unwanted clothes or just recycle them.

PAYPLAN - pay it off asap before you get to stage where you have spent all your money and still have the debt. Get this millstone away from round your neck. As I and others have said contact your creditors direct and offer Full and Final. If they don't accept go slightly higher. Don't rely on stepchange - they don't have the power to negotiate full and finals. They helped you set the DMP up and got interest stopped etc. Time for you to pull your finger out now and help yourself.

Once all your stuff is out of storage, reassess what you have, sell what you do not need or freecycle.

DO A BUDGET FOR MONTHLY COSTS. MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO IT. Get your monthly utilities down as far as possible.

Eat healthily and exercise more.

Look for part time job.

There you are AC, I have made the list for you

Good luck with finishing off the flat and moving in.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you enthusiastic
    I agree with all the above Will obey also .
    Wardrobes, storage and picture frames, then I stop
    Btw: I'll actually be buying groceries online via Ocado (spelling?)
    This means it will be cheaper and can put food in freezer and budget properly .Maybe Aldi and Lidl also.
    TBH , I can't see me working this year, but once I hit the gym who knows? I'm thinking worse case scenario for now.
    I could phone my creditors , and see what they say. I assume I don't pay until I receive written confirmation of their acceptance of f&f??
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Getting my stuff taken from big yellow next sat afternoon. 27 may
    Cost around 200 .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 18th May 17, 2:13 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Btw: I'll actually be buying groceries online via Ocado (spelling?)
    This means it will be cheaper and can put food in freezer and budget properly .Maybe Aldi and Lidl also.
    Originally posted by another casualty
    I'm a massive Ocado fan but only because where I live it's that or Tesco to deliver. Will you really be spending 40 a week on food for just you AC?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th May 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 5,742 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Why not do a fortnightly online shop AC with Tesco or Asda (Ocado are really expensive) and Lidls and Aldi for fresh stuff in between?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th May 17, 2:22 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 5,742 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would write or email creditors asking for full and finals. Tell them you have no monthly income as not working if they ask you to complete soa.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Okay.. just had to make an urgent dash to the flat .
    My washing machine and fridge freezer were delivered .
    The guys were awesome in every way. They even took my old fridge freezer away and undid the fitted unit as i had no screwdrivers etc
    I left stuff in original packaging , as I didn't want to extract the urine .
    Made sure I have them tip . Apparently I paid for service already .
    My friend will give me a hand on sat with installing etc.
    I'm wondering if rest of furniture will be coming today as well .
    Two different companies delivering , so I may be ok .

I mentioned long ago about my food habits . Yes , despite me being alone I do spend a fair bit on food, because of my allergies etc.
    Online is what I'll be doing mostly , so I'll be saving a fair bit anyway .
    I got a special discount code in a magazine I got regarding Ocado so it may be worth using . Can't rule out the above that you mentioned .
    Never been to an Asda in my life . That's down to location though.
    So far so good .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    I would write or email creditors asking for full and finals. Tell them you have no monthly income as not working if they ask you to complete soa.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Actually I forgot about email ! Good point enthusiastic.
    I could do that this evening really .
    I'm not doing any more s o a . I will explain that to them .
    If I can find the original rejections, I could raise them with a counter offer from those !
    Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    I'm a massive Ocado fan but only because where I live it's that or Tesco to deliver. Will you really be spending 40 a week on food for just you AC?
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Yes I will
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 18th May 17, 3:55 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Okay.. just had to make an urgent dash to the flat .
    My washing machine and fridge freezer were delivered .
    The guys were awesome in every way. They even took my old fridge freezer away and undid the fitted unit as i had no screwdrivers etc
    I left stuff in original packaging , as I didn't want to extract the urine .
    Made sure I have them tip . Apparently I paid for service already .
    My friend will give me a hand on sat with installing etc.
    I'm wondering if rest of furniture will be coming today as well .
    Two different companies delivering , so I may be ok .

I mentioned long ago about my food habits . Yes , despite me being alone I do spend a fair bit on food, because of my allergies etc.
    Online is what I'll be doing mostly , so I'll be saving a fair bit anyway .
    I got a special discount code in a magazine I got regarding Ocado so it may be worth using . Can't rule out the above that you mentioned .
    Never been to an Asda in my life . That's down to location though.
    So far so good .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Ocado is not cheap, even with a voucher.

You;re v generous with the tipping but I'm not sure it's necessary when you should be watching what you spend.

Delivery guys sound really helpful which was great - I'm hoping there's some typo with the fact you left the packaging due to urine? It was a washing machine wasn't it?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    I believe so Anna
    Tipping those guys was the way to go . It's not about me ( for a change )
    I could've got 2 unfriendly barstewards who wouldn't wait etc. I did well.
    The guy from d x with the qvc delivery was a miserable barsteward yesterday. He must be playing the leading role in les miserables.

TBH , regarding food etc. I will be doing what I'm told and keep a diary/ spreadsheet as to,how much I spend . In the past , I used to buy most stuff at the weekend, and bits on my way home from work etc.
    Of course we all know , that bulk buying is best with certain products .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 18th May 17, 4:25 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    anna_1977
    definitely much more cost effective to do one weekly shop I agree

A couple years ago my Fridge/freezer broke within warranty - LG sent delivery guys to pick to up and deliver a new one which they did. A month later I get a letter from LG saying that they are billing me 1000 for the new fridge/freezer as I now have 2!! Cheeky delivery barstewards had told them I'd not returned the old one and probably either kept for themselves or sold one
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    definitely much more cost effective to do one weekly shop I agree

A couple years ago my Fridge/freezer broke within warranty - LG sent delivery guys to pick to up and deliver a new one which they did. A month later I get a letter from LG saying that they are billing me 1000 for the new fridge/freezer as I now have 2!! Cheeky delivery barstewards had told them I'd not returned the old one and probably either kept for themselves or sold one
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Shocking. I'm sure you told them where to go
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Annoyed with qvc again . They send vague delivery times, and use. Poor courier cmpanies . Got text from phoenix courier. Should have been here between 1-2 and my stuff still isnt here. Theyll probably deliver it when i,m in my other flat paunting @ssholes !
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 18th May 17, 8:52 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    copperjar
    I must be a right tight !!!! as I've never tipped a retail delivery guy in my life. It wouldn't even occur to me! Or a workman I've paid over 5k in cash to already to put a new bathroom in (any date on when he will get you the new screen for the shower?)

Why are you waiting until you move in to write a budget? I've got a horrible feeling you will have less left than you think. Hope not. We're behind you AC but please stop all this knee jerk decision making and spending.

Ikea have brillliant storage solutions. Have you seen the PAX wardrobes? Can get to fit any size and really modern.
    Total debt 1.11.10 23,446
    Save 6k in 2015 #129 6121.66/6000
    Save 6k in 2016 #39 6000/6000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    I must be a right tight !!!! as I've never tipped a retail delivery guy in my life. It wouldn't even occur to me! Or a workman I've paid over 5k in cash to already to put a new bathroom in (any date on when he will get you the new screen for the shower?)

Why are you waiting until you move in to write a budget? I've got a horrible feeling you will have less left than you think. Hope not. We're behind you AC but please stop all this knee jerk decision making and spending.

Ikea have brillliant storage solutions. Have you seen the PAX wardrobes? Can get to fit any size and really modern.
    Originally posted by copperjar
    Hello copperjar
    You are all and always behind me and it means alot .
    If ikea can have stuff in a quick space of time, then my friend will be borrowed and we will do it.
    I know what i had to do . Ive actually cut corners with the kitchen for example . Its just that i had to do up the place from scratch .
    That unfortunately for me, costs.
    My idea( however bad it may be ), is to get everything now, and cut back drastically when ive got wardrobes etc.
    I have been on the internet relentlessly trying to get the best deals .
    I even walked past beales todsy, they have a 50% sale only this week.
    How was i to know ? Ive bern looking at ebay for deals.
    I will go to the british heart foundation probably sunday .
    The biggest single expense has bern the bathroom .

I had to tip those guys today. Karma can bite me in the @ss i know.
    They waited for me to arrive. They disassembled the fridge freezer which is something i was supposed to do. They had tools , i had none
    I was lucky . If it was dumped out in the street , i wouldve seriusly sruggled. I have 2 front doors to getbinto the flat. Then the hallway to the kitchen.
    Same with james : i tipped him. He saved me hundereds by arranging mr. Carpet for me.
    I treat people with respect that they deserve .
    There is a person on another mse forum slating the builder she used.
    She was talking pie charts , and pinching pennies rather than doing the basic common sense things that most of us do.
    She got slated by many.

I know its on my head be it . Yes im scared , but i have to make my new home a home. Ive saved on a sofa bed , by buying a top quality inflatable , saving space and cash.
    I still took my sofas with me and my bed .
    So i m having a go. I need a lot of luck, but also a little leeway imho.

I will let you all know how much i have left.
    What i do know, is since ive been here ive only spent on what you know. No mortgage and no bills to pay . Utility bills and council tax have been paid etc. So i know. Plus im sticking with freeview .
    I wont go on, but hope that somebody understands
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry copperjar, but i never paid james cash. It eas all done via bank payment
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 18th May 17, 10:41 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    copperjar
    Sorry AC, don't want to be on at you! You really are doing great and have come a long way. 6 months and it's clear to see on here that your wellbeing has improved and you are much happier. Want that to continue for you as long as possible so it's important to keep as many pennies in your pocket as you can. Like I say, maybe I go the other way and never tip, you're definitely kinder than me. Don't be more skint than me though!
    Total debt 1.11.10 23,446
    Save 6k in 2015 #129 6121.66/6000
    Save 6k in 2016 #39 6000/6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,377Users online

Martin's Twitter