Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,572Posts
    • 3,971Thanks
    another casualty
    I've quit everything. Now what ?
    • 2nd Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    I've quit everything. Now what ? 2nd Apr 17 at 7:42 PM
    Thanks to all who helped me do the above .
    I may as well keep you updated , with my progression .
    I'm still in the honeymoon period . Wonder how it'll end up ?

Loads of pages http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5349916

Page 23
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th May 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi AC,
    I've come back from a weekend away (the big 4-0 was on saturday )

I'm mortified you've spent £950 on blinds! I'm sorry, I know others have said it but you could have probably got them for £100 all in and then potentially paid James a few quid to put them up!

Apart from that hope the painting is going well!
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Oh my god! Happy birthday ( a bit late) I was half asleep when I saw this . There's me thinking you were talking about football .
    Doh!
    Hope it went well .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, finished painting the living room.
    What's left ? The bathroom ..plus lots of touching up etc.
    I can't do tomorrow , as I have to wait for my belated qvc delivery of a fan . It's funny really . I finished well over an hour ago. Then, I start looking around and start thinking of what should go where.
    Where do I put the wardrobe I haven't got ? Where do I put the tv ?
    What pictures go where etc ?
    In my current flat, I cannot have a bath because the water drips out of the taps and would take an absolute eternity to fill up.
    Being stiff as a board, I could have done with one over the last few days.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 16th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6,192 Posts
    • 19,684 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Couldn't you have a bath at your new flat?
    • harz99
    • By harz99 16th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    harz99
    It's funny really . I finished well over an hour ago. Then, I start looking around and start thinking of what should go where.
    Where do I put the wardrobe I haven't got ? Where do I put the tv ?
    What pictures go where etc ?
    Originally posted by another casualty

You draw a scale plan of each room, like I suggested yonks ago!

Mark up where sockets, switches, aerials etc. are. Which way doors open and so on.

Cut up some paper pieces to scale (approx. sizes) for your furniture/proposed furniture and then you can see on your plan what fits and what doesn't.

It's not rocket science and really easy to do. Start with rough drawing and measurements then build up to a scale plan on graph paper.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 16th May 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    harz99
    And if you haven't got a tape measure or graph paper you should be able to get both for under a fiver at Wilko's in the Dolphin Centre or online at Wilko.com.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    You draw a scale plan of each room, like I suggested yonks ago!

Mark up where sockets, switches, aerials etc. are. Which way doors open and so on.

Cut up some paper pieces to scale (approx. sizes) for your furniture/proposed furniture and then you can see on your plan what fits and what doesn't.

It's not rocket science and really easy to do. Start with rough drawing and measurements then build up to a scale plan on graph paper.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Thanks harz
    I've done all the measurements etc. I was just looking at all options ,
    even swapping rooms around . It's all straight forward really as you say. I think everything will go where I originally said . All good really
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th May 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Couldn't you have a bath at your new flat?
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    I'll wait
    Something to look forward to
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 16th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Oh my god! Happy birthday ( a bit late) I was half asleep when I saw this . There's me thinking you were talking about football .
    Doh!
    Hope it went well .
    Haha Thank you

I had an amazing weekend, my other half "sent" me to visit my best friend in Dubai for 4 days - it was fantastic albeit a little hot.

So pleased to hear the painting is done and you're starting to plan furniture etc

x
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Cool!
    Fell asleep about 5am, woke up at 7 and wanted a lie in.
    Unfortunately, I had to get up incase courier arrives.
    Hope I don't have to wait in all day .
    Just got my bill in from utility warehouse ..£25.71 .
    With the meter being faulty and then changed, I think I got away with cheaper bills since I've been in this flat. My final bill , will be more realistic .
    The. Next tenants will be getting normal bills

I was gonna book the move tomorrow giving big yellow a months nitice .
    I think Friday will be a better day, as I'm having the beales furniture delivery next Thursday . The day after bank holiday Monday , is when I'm officially supposed to move.
    Heavy rain today
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just received my dyson fan from qvc. 11.00 on the dot .
    I need to go out and do some food shopping . The rain is hammering down.
    Waiting for it to stop
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just realised ..I've officially been living in poole 6 months today !
    That was at the peregrine on Poole quay.
    The weather was the same as now, constant rain. There was storm Angus tho'
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 17th May 17, 12:09 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Just received my dyson fan from qvc. 11.00 on the dot .
    I need to go out and do some food shopping . The rain is hammering down.
    Waiting for it to stop

i keep looking at the dyson fans but they are not cheap and I can't justify it. (please tell me you didn't buy the £500 one )

one thing I'll say for you AC - you have expensive tastes
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 17th May 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Can't believe half a year has gone by since you moved!
    Getting back on Track
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    i keep looking at the dyson fans but they are not cheap and I can't justify it. (please tell me you didn't buy the £500 one )

one thing I'll say for you AC - you have expensive tastes
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Hello Anna

No, I got the cheaper model. Reduced by £100. , so it had to be got
    It's amazing really.. this time last year, I was counting up 20p pieces and bagging them up for use in cafe Nero when I was working.
    Good thing about that was I got a free coffee every 2 weeks or so.
    I was selling belongings like tour programmes from all the gigs I've been to over the years. Sold my most expensive bass guitar etc.
    Nice to be able to get one or two things now and again.
    Once I move into my new place with wardrobes etc. The,spending will stop
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Can't believe half a year has gone by since you moved!
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge
    Neither can I tbh Mrs. P
    All good stuff
    • candy222
    • By candy222 17th May 17, 3:10 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 4,695 Thanks
    candy222
    Hello Anna

No, I got the cheaper model. Reduced by £100. , so it had to be got
    It's amazing really.. this time last year, I was counting up 20p pieces and bagging them up for use in cafe Nero when I was working.
    Good thing about that was I got a free coffee every 2 weeks or so.
    I was selling belongings like tour programmes from all the gigs I've been to over the years. Sold my most expensive bass guitar etc.
    Nice to be able to get one or two things now and again.
    Once I move into my new place with wardrobes etc. The,spending will stop
    Sorry if this sounds harsh,but i think you will only stop spending when all your money has gone.I know it is up to you what you do with your money and this comment does come from a good place but you dont have a job at the moment and you have bought a Dyson fan ,why.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry if this sounds harsh,but i think you will only stop spending when all your money has gone.I know it is up to you what you do with your money and this comment does come from a good place but you dont have a job at the moment and you have bought a Dyson fan ,why.
    Originally posted by candy222
    Hello candy
    Thanks for the concern . It does look like I'm spending a lot .
    The reason that is , is because I'm buying essential stuff for my flat .
    I've held off on one or two things that would have been extravagant .

I've still got the full amount to pay payplan ,and I've spent hundreds rather than thousands over the last few months . Why a dyson?:
    I haven't the room in my small flat for a big fan. I used to have ceiling fans in my previous property. My new home is a sun trap,so to speak.
    Not the greatest ventilation .
    In a couple of weeks I'm moved in, debt will be paid and I have to budget etc
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 17th May 17, 3:44 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 107,200 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Hello candy

I've still got the full amount to pay payplan ,and I've spent hundreds rather than thousands over the last few months . Why a dyson?:
    I haven't the room in my small flat for a big fan. I used to have ceiling fans in my previous property. My new home is a sun trap,so to speak.
    I'm with Candy AC. You were going to start eating healthily once you gave up work. Then it was when you moved. Then when you moved into a six month let. Recently you've said it will be when you're in your own place. You need to start NOW with making a budget and sticking to it, stop spending money on wants, not needs (a Dyson fan is not a need, with a typical British summer it may not get much use!) and eating healthily. Joining a gym can wait until you have more energy, but how much energy have you expended on shopping .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • candy222
    • By candy222 17th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 4,695 Thanks
    candy222
    Hello candy

As already said it is up to you what you do with your money,but i dont see a Dyson fan being an essential,you could buy a much cheaper fan.it would just be such a shame if you end up in the same financial situation you had when you lived in London thats all,
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    another casualty
    I'm with Candy AC. You were going to start eating healthily once you gave up work. Then it was when you moved. Then when you moved into a six month let. Recently you've said it will be when you're in your own place. You need to start NOW with making a budget and sticking to it, stop spending money on wants, not needs (a Dyson fan is not a need, with a typical British summer it may not get much use!) and eating healthily. Joining a gym can wait until you have more energy, but how much energy have you expended on shopping .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I hear you gally
    Most of the spending is over. I've cut back on a lot of junk I've been eating . Gym will be in June . I've decided not to have a new kitchen fitted for example . I've been constantly thinking of when I move into my new home . The whole flat is almost completely decorated.
    This saves spending anything else on it for many years .
    Once settled , the novelty of everything will have worn off and I will eventually lose weight ...and get a job of some sort.
    I'm doing things in stages. The health issue has stopped me in a few ways in the 6 months I've been here so far. I didn't think I'd get the flat so quickly tbh. Reality is beginning to hit me tbh.
    Next week for example, all my stuff is out of storage and I will be out of this. Nice flat . I am well aware what could happen .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,599Posts Today

6,692Users online

Martin's Twitter