Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 2nd Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 254Thanks
    River.Bee
    The Beginning of the End
    • 2nd Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    The Beginning of the End 2nd Apr 17 at 1:09 PM
    New diary, new beginnings.
    I wanted to make a fresh diary to coincide with my newly refreshed debt-busting attitude. For years this debt has been hanging over my head and I am sick to death of it now; I refuse to allow it a permanent place in my life any longer.
    It began in 2013 when I got my first credit card, working full time jobs so not being too bothered about it, and has since accumulated into £3462

Lloyd's CC: £680 0%
    Tesco CC: £54
    Barclaycard CC: £2665 0%
    Very: £63 0%

From reading other DFWB's diaries on here (thank you all btw for your strength, determination and advice) I've started using YNAB and even just after a week it's opened my eyes tremendously to how easy budgeting can be. So I check it every day and update it as soon as a transaction comes in or goes out. Plus, as a student, I can get a free years subscription to it after the initial 34-day free trial. So I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of that!

After months of part-time job hunting, I've finally secured myself some employment, starting this Wednesday so this will really help me kick off my debt busting journey.

At the moment I'm struggling with anxiety and depression which I am seeing help for, so slowly but steadily, hopefully I'll be on the mental mend soon enough.

(Achievable) Things that will make me happy:
    1. Changing university degree
    2. Being totally debt free
    3. Moving into my new student house on July1st
    4. A considerable saving towards a mortgage deposit with my boyfriend

I will keep referring back to this list to keep my motivation going when times (inevitably) get tough.

Right I think that's it for my first post, going to nose around on the Debt Free Roll of Honour thread for inspiration.

27/3/2017 - The Beginning of the End
    Credit Card Total Debt: £3462 £2205
    Pledge to clear at least half before uni graduation: July 2019

£1257 paid - 36.3%
Page 5
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 1st Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    River.Bee
    £65.63

That wasn't in the plan.

Still, as you say, it should be a long term saving. How are things in the rest of your life?
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hi CherryFudge, sorry for the very late reply, but thank you kindly for asking
    I'm doing good, my course is going rather well and I'm enjoying it. I'm looking forward to eventually living in my own house, as sharing with other people is really getting on my nerves now. But that won't be until 2019 at the earliest also I've had to give up my part time job this past month as I was finding it very difficult to juggle its sporadic and unexpected hours (due to a new computerised system that they started using ) and finding study time with also trying to learn a new language that I want to do. Leaving it was a hard choice that I didn't take lightly but at the end of the day, I decided to put my mental health first as I was becoming an anxious and nervous wreck again I'm doing a lot better now though, and wishing you a very happy new year!!

£1257 paid - 36.3%
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You have come a long way since you started this diary! It's wonderful that your course is going well. That, I think, is an indication that's it's right for you. And the end of house-sharing will come... though maybe there are people you would rather share with? My son didn't get on with his flatmates at Uni very much, my daughter is still in touch with lots of hers after several years. It depends on getting the right mix, and maybe somewhere someone will have dropped out of a house share and be looking for someone like you to fill it? I do bear in mind of course that this isn't going to be straightforward at this point in the academic year.

I'm still in touch with the person I shared with - long enough ago for me to be writing about my daughter leaving Uni! - so sometimes it really does work out.

A shame about the job, which I think was pretty good at first, wasn't it? Nevertheless, it's good to have January free of shifts at work because there always seem to be deadlines for essays and stuff this month, and you're absolutely right about putting your mental health first.

Happy New Year to you as well, and thanks for the update!
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 8th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    River.Bee
    Wow, that's amazing that you're still friends with your old uni bunch! I hope I'm the same with some of my friends here. I'm living with my boyfriend and a mutual friend at the moment: I'm happy enough with my boyfriend (although he is a typical male and sometimes I have to nag him to clean up after himself ), but it's the mutual friend that is really getting on my nerves so, so, so much. He never cleans, his room absolutely reeks to the point where it smells out the hallway. My room is opposite his door and I can smell when he's opened his door through my closed bedroom door! . We have told him to start cleaning but he does it once and that's it. He's also really, really irritating and sometimes patronising towards us, especially when he's drunk. All in all, not a nice person to live with I have to admit though, it's a better environment in this house compared to my last student house last year. But still, I can't wait to finish student life. *sigh*

£1257 paid - 36.3%
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 8th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    River.Bee
    In other news, it is payday today and I've just cleared my Lloyds credit card!!
    Using YNAB has helped me be over £400 better off financially compared to my last payday in September. I'm definitely gonna continue using it after my free student trial expires

My new debt total is:
    Tesco Bank: £2205 - 0% (until June 2019)

Since my lightbulb moment, I have reduced my debt by £1257

Although, I think in the summer I may have to use my credit card to get funds for summer accommodation. I've made sure I've got savings towards the cost already, and I'll put some more towards it next payday in April, but I think I might have to borrow a couple hundred or so. It's necessary debt though, not useless debt like I'm paying off now!

£1257 paid - 36.3%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

838Posts Today

6,624Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin