Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gizmobenny
    • By gizmobenny 1st Apr 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,413Posts
    • 13,171Thanks
    gizmobenny
    Picture captchas !
    • 1st Apr 17, 5:15 PM
    Picture captchas ! 1st Apr 17 at 5:15 PM
    These picture captchas are getting weirder . I just had one which asked me to tick all the hamsters ? Except there weren't any. Only a rabbit, a squirrel, a chinchilla and some other furry creature.. It only let me enter when I had ticked all those !
Page 7
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 15th May 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 56,368 Thanks
    hdh74
    Just had one of those that keeps renewing the pic until there are no more cars left. It went on and on for about 10 minutes, and it is so slow. Finally got the last one and it decided to start all over again with something else. Gave it up. Sod it. Prize wasn't worth the effort.
    • MaineBlue
    • By MaineBlue 16th May 17, 5:22 PM
    • 15,153 Posts
    • 2,124,358 Thanks
    MaineBlue
    Just had one of those that keeps renewing the pic until there are no more cars left. It went on and on for about 10 minutes, and it is so slow. Finally got the last one and it decided to start all over again with something else. Gave it up. Sod it. Prize wasn't worth the effort.
    Originally posted by hdh74
    They just don't work.
    If I get one of them types I hit 'Refresh' until I get one which doesn't require 'until there are none left'
    S Aguero (16); Y Toure (45); S Aguero (47); S Nasri (50)
    E Dzeko (1); E Dzeko (56); Y Toure (90)

• booklover500
    • By booklover500 17th May 17, 12:53 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 2,535 Thanks
    booklover500
    I get so fed up with them - I had a similar thing going on and on with cars and another with petrol stations - they are a pain in the a**e!
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 18th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 13,559 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    Oh my they are really bad today. Has anyone who emailed received any reply?

Despite thinking I am getting them through I then get a message with "sorry captcha error" or "failed human check"
    The best things in life are free.....
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 21st May 17, 5:24 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 84,742 Thanks
    Blulu
    Oh well, back to the drawing board. Also, if I try the voice ReCaptcha it tells me ‘We are sorry but your computer may be sending automated queries....’
    I’ve contacted ReCaptcha (you can email them on security-help@recaptcha.net)
    Explain what the problem is you are experiencing and also include your IP address and Browser.
    I imagine we may get a reply never.
    Originally posted by MaineBlue
    Favour: folks, can we try a little 'people power' and bombard them with emails? I've just emailed again, for at least the third time. I told them that if they replied, I would pass it on to others in my forum, and that this would probably mean them getting fewer emails.

Is there anywhere else we could complain to, do you think? Like ASA?

Thanks guys

Blu X
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
    • aspella
    • By aspella 21st May 17, 5:58 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 7,257 Thanks
    aspella

Thanks guys

Blu X
    Originally posted by Blulu
    You could try contacting websites that are using these picture captchas on entry forms and make them aware of the issue. You never know the website might be prepared to remove them.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 21st May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 34,853 Posts
    • 225,824 Thanks
    mjm3346

Thanks guys

Blu X
    Originally posted by Blulu
    Probably nothing to do with the ASA.

It reflects badly on the sites using them (accessibility for a start) so it might be worth sending complaining e-mails to the sites involved as well as google.

(It's not on comp sites that it annoys me most as I can just not bother with them but they are on used on login pages on some other sites I use and it's a right pain on those).

I checked to see if sites paid to use them - appears they don't - that would have added a bit of pressure to the complaints if sites were paying for a service and not getting it - and google might do something if it was going to cost them money rather than just hinder their plans for world domination.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 21-05-2017 at 6:19 PM.
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 21st May 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 13,559 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    I contacted Forth Radio on Thursday after a nightmare of trying to get 30 entries through. I did receive a speedy reply back thanking me for bringing this up and he would refer it to their Tech Team although he did say they were tried before the comp are posted. Took me an absolute age to get my entries through last week.

Likewise the Express, Star etc are also proving quite difficult to get through as well.
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 23rd May 17, 9:33 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 84,742 Thanks
    Blulu
    Today the captchas are fine again for me. Hope they stay that way.

Blu X
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,866 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi all

How's this for you now? Hopefully it's much better for you.
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 15th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 134,868 Thanks
    cagsd
    Been fine for about 2 weeks now, touch wood.

• MaineBlue
    • By MaineBlue 17th Jun 17, 1:45 AM
    • 15,153 Posts
    • 2,124,358 Thanks
    MaineBlue
    Hi all

How's this for you now? Hopefully it's much better for you.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Varies. Seems to be worse the more you do. For example, the Bauer 'max 30 entries' seems to attract trickier ones to complete (or they just don't complete). For example, 'select all the images with a store front until none are left' can take a fair while and the makers of the Captcha don't appear to know what a store front is (and don't get me started on what they think a road sign is). That being said, it has been easier than previously when it was clearly totally broken, but the simple fact remains, a lot of their picture captchas just don't work because they don't know what a vehicle, a bridge, a road sign, a store front etc. is or isn't.
    S Aguero (16); Y Toure (45); S Aguero (47); S Nasri (50)
    E Dzeko (1); E Dzeko (56); Y Toure (90)

• cagsd
    • By cagsd 26th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 134,868 Thanks
    cagsd
    Playing up really badly again the past couple of days - back to what it was like at its worst: "keep clicking till there are none left" types not only take ages to show up but then tell you it's wrong and send you back to the beginning. Getting a bit fed up with them now as they were working fine for a good few weeks!

• hertzyabazas
    • By hertzyabazas 26th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 27,674 Posts
    • 5,001,619 Thanks
    hertzyabazas
    I've got road rage!
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 26th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 13,559 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    Playing up really badly again the past couple of days - back to what it was like at its worst: "keep clicking till there are none left" types not only take ages to show up but then tell you it's wrong and send you back to the beginning. Getting a bit fed up with them now as they were working fine for a good few weeks!
    Originally posted by cagsd
    Totally agree. I had a bad time with them on Thursday on the Bauer competitions. It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of times you need to keep clicking.

Funny how some sites still use the old style captchas like the two words. Really wish they would all use these.
    • Daphne01
    • By Daphne01 26th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 15,296 Posts
    • 781,166 Thanks
    Daphne01
    I find they are a pain in the @rse when you use a non tracking browser, in an ordinary one they seem fine!
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• Blulu
    • By Blulu 26th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 84,742 Thanks
    Blulu
    For me they've been a lot better for ages now. They're still annoying sometimes, but nothing like it was when it was really bad.

I have a tip, but it's a bit hard to explain. Sometimes on a second or third screen it will ask you to click on squares that match the word "Car" "Sign" or something like that. It will also say something like "or click skip if there are no matches". I've found that if I click skip for this, whether there are matches or not, it usually ends there and lets me enter. Sorry if that's as clear as mud.

Blu X
    • chocolateone
    • By chocolateone 26th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 259,055 Thanks
    chocolateone
    I gave up yesterday and I am now entering via audio option

• Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 1st Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 151,107 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    Has anyone else had problems with it freezing lately? A few times, I have selected all the squares with trains, then all the squares with vehicles, then all the squares with road signs, then it all goes greyed out and I cannot click either skip, refresh or submit.

• Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 1st Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 13,559 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    Has anyone else had problems with it freezing lately? A few times, I have selected all the squares with trains, then all the squares with vehicles, then all the squares with road signs, then it all goes greyed out and I cannot click either skip, refresh or submit.
    Originally posted by Marg2k8
    Yes me too and I was also going to post re this. Happened quite a few times this week. I found that by refreshing the page it got rid of it but you have to key all your details again.

Bit of a nightmare with all the Bauer comps this week trying to get these picture captchas to work. Each one was taking at least 3 times to get it through.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Me; 01-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,099Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin