Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 1st Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,545Posts
    • 1,453Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Kitchen bins - Expensive!
    • 1st Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    Kitchen bins - Expensive! 1st Apr 17 at 11:07 AM
    I've had a basic plastic bin for years but the lid has broke so I've been looking online for a new one. The old one was too big for the kitchen anyway, since I moved house. I'm looking for a round shiny metal type one this time.

Brabantia keeps coming up, and they have the sizes I'd prefer, either 20L or 30L, but the prices are astronomical! They're about £45-50. Is it worth that amount of money? It seems crazy for something that just holds rubbish but the reviews keep saying how good they are and I can't find anything suitable locally.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 11-04-2017 at 3:00 PM.
Page 3
    • Brambleberry
    • By Brambleberry 12th Apr 17, 9:40 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    Brambleberry
    I went shopping for an extra classroom bin and was horrified at the cost of the basic plastic bins in most places near me, all over a tenner and flimsy. I'm usually happy to buy a few odds and ends for work, but not that much for a bin!

I have a "posh" bin at home from my less MSE days and it is fortunately holding up well. Simple Human are, like Brabantia, quite pricey. We've had ours for about 6 years now and it polishes up nicely with a bit of pledge. The two inner containers are easy to clean and the internal mechanism doesn't really get dirty. I was lucky to get mine a lot cheaper when I was going to buy it in JL, they only had the demo model left, with a tiny scratch on the side - which knocked the price down considerably.
    Mortgage 2004: £120000 2017: £8000

Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet.
    • guineapig
    • By guineapig 13th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    guineapig
    Shredders!
    I have been using the "bin" part of a broken shredder for years, its fab! It doesn't have a lid of course but fits into a very small space because it is narrow. So it goes under the kitchen sink and I wouldn't swop it for anything!!

In fact I like it so much I have another in my bathroom!

So ask around if anyone has a shredder that they are replacing/sounds like its on it's last legs etc & off you go.
    (plus I use the very cheap pedal bin bags to line it so it is very cost effective.)
    • Witless
    • By Witless 13th Apr 17, 1:58 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Witless
    I'm in the process of updating/replacing the kitchen: by changing the layout from 2 large under counter units to 2 slightly smaller with an added 300m wide pull out single drawer unit I saved about £200 on the cost of their 'waste storage unit' - rectangular units of weird dimensions with replacements only available from them at crazy prices) - the unit will hold a 'bargain' shop 50l swing bin (about £6) for rubbish and a bit of space storing bin liners etc or 2 x 30l swing bins 1 for waste, 1 for recycling (about £4 each).

Being a tad 'funny' about bin type things I wanted something I can scald out and replace at low cost after a couple of years - I couldn't imagine keeping a bin for the length of time I intend this kitchen to last.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 12,136 Posts
    • 33,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    With thanks to earlier post on here - and me realising I could get a replacement bin clip for the one that has broken =

I've duly rung Brabantia and a new lid is en route to me - price covered by my guarantee
    Freedom of speech - the highest value we have.
    • charliechops14
    • By charliechops14 13th Apr 17, 6:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    charliechops14
    The good thing about Brabantaria is that they are solidly made AND have a life time guarantee. We've had ours for about 14 years and only once did we have a problem with the lid. Quick phone call to them and they sent a replacement completely free of charge.
    You don't have to use the expensive bin liners either, we just use standard black bags.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 15th Apr 17, 12:42 AM
    • 17,536 Posts
    • 7,114 Thanks
    richardw
    John Lewis have own brand bins similar to brabantia, Lidl have bin liners similar to brabantia.
    If you need to move your bin around a bit you could get a house plant mover and put it on that.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • DeeMM
    • By DeeMM 20th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DeeMM
    I've been looking for a set of 'decent' recycling bins for the kitchen and some of them are around the £200 mark! Yikes ........
    • chanie
    • By chanie 20th Apr 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 6,890 Thanks
    chanie
    Fir about 7 years, we had those plastic bins with a flip lid, but although they were practical, they were cheap looking. When we needed to replace it, we looked at Simple Human, Brabantia etc.

We ended up buying one from Costco for £40 which has a sensor activated lid, filter to stop smells and can hold 90 litres of rubbish. It was over half the price cheaper than the other bins we were looking at, so it was a great bargain.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £382.74
    April food budget - £150(groceries) £40 (Costco)
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,622Posts Today

6,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin