Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hiltonian09
    • By hiltonian09 30th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hiltonian09
    Knowhow Customer claims help
    • 30th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    Knowhow Customer claims help 30th Mar 17 at 10:51 PM
    Hi

This is my first post. I am at a loss dealing with the inept staff at Knowhow.

Without going into the details too much ( i can provide if needed ) , i have been informed by 3 separate employees of KnowHow that my claim should not be an issue but it has been declined.

Every time i have spoken to the team they have provided me different reasons as to why the claim was declined and each time i rebuff they come up with something else.

They declined the claim for my laptop eventually siting negligence, it had been knocked into the sink while cooking which was accidental FYI we have used it in the kitchen for many months without an issue this one time it was unfortunate, this is why we have insurance / protection plans.

I have raised a complaint around the overall process and negligence in dealing with the claim from their side. They seem to have decided very early on in proceeding before they were even aware of the circumstances that they were not honoring there agreement.

Every question i raise to the customer care team is met with a generic response, i been told verbally on their recorded lines that the claim should be honored. They said they would look into and agreed to reply to me within a given period of time that has past without reply.

What are my options ?

I want to obviously get the service i have paid for, but i also want to try to ensure this doesnt occur to others.

Does anyone know the next steps i can take.
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 30th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 40,935 Posts
    • 16,752 Thanks
    macman
    • 30th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    But what 'insurance/protection' plan did you take out? The manufacturer's standard warranty does not cover accidental damage. If you want to claim for that, then turn to your household contents insurers, assuming you have accidental damage cover.
    Dropping a laptop into a sink is clearly negligent and not the responsibility of the manufacturer or retailer, I'm bemused you could think otherwise.
    If you are referring to the DSG 'Laptop Care Plan', then this does cover mishaps but not negligence: using a laptop next to a sink of water could well be seen as negligent.
    Even if these policies do pay out, they are incredibly bad value for money: the retailer normally marks the policy up by 100% at least.
    Last edited by macman; 30-03-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • bris
    • By bris 31st Mar 17, 12:16 AM
    • 6,647 Posts
    • 5,692 Thanks
    bris
    • 31st Mar 17, 12:16 AM
    • 31st Mar 17, 12:16 AM
    TBH they have cited a good reason, you can't possible state you weren't negligent using a laptop whilst doing the dishes now can you?

I am also sure it will help make sure it won't happen to others, perfect example on what to not play with when doing the dishes.
    • hiltonian09
    • By hiltonian09 31st Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hiltonian09
    • 31st Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    Well i would dispute the negligence as it was knocked into the sink when cooking, i do agree it was silly but it is covered within the accidental damage policy it was the protection plan you mentioned above.
    If you watch daytime tv you will see that the ipads and other portable devices are used in the kitchen around.
    It was left on the worktop and accidentally knocked into the sink. If you watch the latest ipad advert it is being used in a kitchen to assist in cooking next to a sink unit ?

The whole purpose of portable devices are to be portable, i would have claimed via the house insurance but they informed me it was covered. I have since moved house and i am unsure on whether i can claim.

Thanks for your responses.

I understand the point that it could be construed as negligent but the main gripe is around the treatment and even today they responded confirming that they have incorrectly told me that it was covered. Surely this is enough evidence to get this resolved
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 31st Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 17,875 Posts
    • 13,560 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 31st Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 1:43 PM

I understand the point that it could be construed as negligent but the main gripe is around the treatment and even today they responded confirming that they have incorrectly told me that it was covered. Surely this is enough evidence to get this resolved
    Originally posted by hiltonian09
    I'm not sure what else you would consider it: I presume you didn't shove it into the sink deliberately, and I'd guess that the house wasn't affected by a localised earthquake that tipped it into the sink, which only leave negligence. So if negligence is covered, your claim will succeed, if it isn't (which seems to be the case) it won't. Your only remaining argument is with them for providing incorrect information, but I doubt whether that is enough to get the resolution that you want.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 31st Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 5,187 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 31st Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    Using a laptop or any device of the sort in a kitchen anywhere near a sink is negligence, how can it be anything else?

What if it had been a bathroom and fell into a bath full of water would you agree that that would be negligent?

What about using outside in the garden in the summer right next to a swimming pool full of water?

They are not the sort of places a laptop should be used and common sense would tell most people that, to go ahead and use it there anyway is negligent.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 31st Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    waamo
    • 31st Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    Do you have accidental damage cover as part of your warranty?
    This space for hire.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 31st Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,519 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 31st Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    Do you have accidental damage cover as part of your warranty?
    Originally posted by waamo
    If it's Knowhow's Computing Care Plan then it offers:
    Protection against mishap - we don’t expect you to wrap your computer in cotton wool. If your product suffers a mishap, we’ll fix it.
    But of course there are some restrictions in the T&Cs.
    One of which is:
    WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:

Repair or replacement of the product which has been neglected, abused, misused, or damaged intentionally. You must take reasonable care of the product.
    They have obviously decided that placing the laptop where it could be knocked into the sink was not taking reasonable care.

I agree with them.
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 1st Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Leo2020
    • 1st Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1st Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    You can usually appeal their decision but in this I doubt you will be succesful. Have you asked about the appeals process?

Knowhow pay out on most claims, it is rare for them not to.

I think if the circumstances had been different then they would have paid if say you had a small child who had managed to get hold of it and put in the bath.

But as an adult using it near water you have to take responsibility.
    • williham
    • By williham 1st Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    williham
    I don't think using a laptop in the kitchen is negligent, if they think it is then it should say 'you can't use it in the kitchen', it's probably 1/8 of your house so big enough to mention you can't use it there . Keep complaining and email the CEO if they don't approve the claim.
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 2nd Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 869 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Leo2020
    I don't think using a laptop in the kitchen is negligent, if they think it is then it should say 'you can't use it in the kitchen', it's probably 1/8 of your house so big enough to mention you can't use it there . Keep complaining and email the CEO if they don't approve the claim.
    Originally posted by williham
    I don't think its using it in the ktchen which is the problem. I use my laptop in the kitchen on the dining room table sometimes, I don't put it on the worktop next to sink. Water and laptop equals bad idea.

Its like the lifts in Meadowhall shopping centre that tell you to leave when the doors open. You really don't need to state the obvious.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd Apr 17, 10:13 AM
    • 15,166 Posts
    • 10,960 Thanks
    hollydays
    Agreed.

Sorry op but it's like one of those quizzes you can't fail to win.
    Should you
    a) leave your laptop near your sink where it could fall in.
    b) site it away from the sink .
    c) store it in the sink, wash it with your dishes and leave to drain.
    Last edited by hollydays; 02-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 2nd Apr 17, 3:52 PM
    • 20,161 Posts
    • 12,434 Thanks
    dacouch
    If this was a proper Insurance product then the would not regard your actions as negligent and deny the claim as most claims under accidental damage on a Home Contents Policy include some degree of negligence.

Unfortunately the last time I look the Currys Whateverhappens is not an Insurance product but has side stepped the regulations to avoid their responsibilities
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 3rd Apr 17, 6:51 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    The-Truth
    Originally posted by williham
    What a lovely consumer friendly response but it's missing something. The op just didn't use it in the Kitchen the op used it in a part of the kitchen where it was able to fall into the sink.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but do you see the minor complication now?
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 3rd Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    steampowered
    It depends on the terms of your insurance, surely?

You can buy gadget insurance which covers careless acts. This type of insurance covers you if you do something like drop your laptop on the floor or spill water on it. If you have insurance like this then I'd think you are also covered if you drop it in the sink. You obviously pay a premium for this type of insurance.

On the other hand some types of insurance won't cover you for careless acts.

I think it depends what your policy says.
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 3rd Apr 17, 12:31 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Leo2020
    It is not insurance, they call it a "service plan" to make sure no one gets confused into thinking it is insurance. Saves Dixons redtape and i'd imagine money too.

Don't think the OP is going to get far with this one but as I said they could try appealing but I doubt they will win. I think Knowhow are likely to stand by their decision and I can't blame them either.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 3rd Apr 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    naedanger
    It depends on the terms of your insurance, surely?

You can buy gadget insurance which covers careless acts. This type of insurance covers you if you do something like drop your laptop on the floor or spill water on it. If you have insurance like this then I'd think you are also covered if you drop it in the sink. You obviously pay a premium for this type of insurance.

On the other hand some types of insurance won't cover you for careless acts.

I think it depends what your policy says.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    I think the main problem is the plan is sold on the basis that it covers mishaps - "It does exactly what it says, and protects your product from mishap or breakdown" - but if you read the small print in the terms and conditions the customer must "take reasonable care of the product".

Had this been a regulated insurance product the op would have had a relatively easy way of getting their complaint heard, and judged, by an independent party. And the op would have had a valid complaint if they had not been treated fairly even if the company had complied with the letter of the contract.

However this does not appear to be a regulated policy which means it is not so easy to progress a complaint.
    Last edited by naedanger; 03-04-2017 at 1:15 PM.
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 4th Apr 17, 5:51 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    The-Truth
    To be honest with some customer complaints you couldn't make it up how incompetent and hypocritical the customer is.

I've just noticed the op describe the staff as inept.

But it was the op who somehow managed to drop their own laptop into a kitchen sink so it now longer works.

Complaints like this are quite simply laughable. I don't know how on earth the op actually has the nerve to call the staff who have dealt with this inept!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin