Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charityworker
    • By Charityworker 29th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 950Posts
    • 699Thanks
    Charityworker
    Daughter going to uni - so.upset
    • 29th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    Daughter going to uni - so.upset 29th Mar 17 at 5:05 PM
    Hi. I know my problem is going to seem really trivial. My youngest daughter is off to uni in September and instead of being happy about it I'm so upset. I literally can't stop crying. I know I should be happy and excited for her and I do know it's going to be great for her but how am.I going to get through it? I've been crying for a week.now. waking up crying in the morning. How do you mums get through it? If I'm like this now how bad will I be when the day finally arrives?
Page 3
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 21st Aug 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    Loz01
    Its ok to cry when you see her off to Uni but try not to be hysterical - it'll upset her even more if she thinks you are distraught. Tell her you'll miss her loads being around the house BUT Uni is an amazing experience! Tell her to get involved in clubs/sports/whatever takes her eye and make the most of it, it doesn't last forever. Let her know you'll always be on the end of the phone if she needs you and for the odd £10 now and again but you know she'll do amazing on her own and you're very proud of her. Similar things my own Mum said to me many moons back and it'll make her realise yes you'll miss her BUT she can do fine on her own and that you also will be ok without her.
    More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, is a true perversion - Harvey Milk
    • hello007007
    • By hello007007 21st Aug 17, 10:46 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    hello007007
    Congratulations OP on your daughter going to university.

When my children leave home, I shall be happy for them but sad, as it will be the end of a beautiful era. I am sure I'll cry plenty too.

Sad I know, but I am already preparing for this moment. I'm teaching the kids life skills such as how to cook and clean. How to be safe and self defense. How to manage money and above all to respect everyone regards of race/religion etc...

I know if my children were confidant and independent when they reach that age, I won't worry so much and they will be successful in life.

The last thing I want is for them to live at home until they are 30 - not that I would love that but because I want them to enjoy life and get the most of it.
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 22nd Aug 17, 6:07 AM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 3,537 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    You get used to them going. You have a tidy house. You can do what you want when you want. No need to provide meals for anyone etc

Then they graduate and come home! If you want pain then try living with a newly returned graduate. You will long for an empty nest.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Aug 17, 8:17 AM
    • 18,555 Posts
    • 47,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just to point out that this thread was brought back to life after no updates since early April by a journalist asking for case studies.
    That post has since been removed.

The OP has not logged on to MSE since the middle of June.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 22nd Aug 17, 8:34 AM
    • 23,100 Posts
    • 59,808 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Just to point out that this thread was brought back to life after no updates since early April by a journalist asking for case studies.
    That post has since been removed.

The OP has not logged on to MSE since the middle of June.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

Just as well. It was a silly, over-dramatic post. IMHO, of course.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Aug 17, 8:38 AM
    • 18,555 Posts
    • 47,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just as well. It was a silly, over-dramatic post. IMHO, of course.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I was thinking about the OP.
    The last post she made didn't sound too positive, so I hope she's OK..

Shame on that reporter (Sophie Cridland) who brought this thread back up instead of going through the correct route with MSE and starting a new thread.
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 24th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    lillie421
    It is hard to let your children go but it is something that needs to be done as a parent. You should be so proud of her and happy as this is clearly something she wants to do so if she is happy, you're happy. Just try to keep yourself busy and think of all the positives. You will still get to see her! Good luck
    • Charityworker
    • By Charityworker 28th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Charityworker
    Well i thought id let you know how im getting on. My daughter went to uni as planned in September. My parents took her there in their car without me because i was too upset. That evening she was takking to me on messenger and sending me loads of photos of her room etc. Then i went there a few days later to visit her and we went shopping and had lunch. I still miss her terribly. I try not to think about it as i get too upset. I went to the doctors after she left and he prescribed me with antidepressants. Ive felt a lot better since they kicked in. Shes coming home for Christmas. Im sure the first year will go quickly.
    • The Ang
    • By The Ang 29th Nov 17, 1:36 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    The Ang
    Best wishes for her. I can imagine how it feels. I don't have any daughter, only 3 sons. They are homeschooled. The feeling to let him leave the nest is quite hard, I think. however, the time flies, right?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin