Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 28th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4,081Posts
    • 21,907Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    NST - Amazing Aperire
    • 28th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    NST - Amazing Aperire 28th Mar 17 at 9:03 PM
    Welcome to April’s NST challenge – it is believed that the word April comes from the Latin word Aperire which means to open.

Spring officially started on 20th March so in April we are really at the start of Spring and this month I want to celebrate all things Spring.

Also in April we have Daffodil Sunday on Sunday 2nd April and Primrose Day on Wednesday 19th April.

April is also the month the Cuckoo and Swallow return – who will be the first to hear or see one?

23rd April is St Georges Day – St George was a Roman soldier who protested about the Roman torture of Christians – as a result he was killed for his beliefs.
    I think sometimes those of us who follow the MSE way and especially the Ninja Saving Turtles challenge can be seen as odd and different to the norm – I want us all to stand tall and proud of what and who we are. We should continue to live how we want to no matter what others say.

Thanks to all Turtles for joining the thread this month.

Rules:

Aim – for at least 16 NSD’s (unless you want to set your own).

Plan – it’s a new financial year, everyone needs to write a new budget taking into account increases in bills. Do you plan ahead for annual and non-regular spends? If you don’t then now is the time to think about these outgoings and plan for them each month.
    Once you have your new budget make sure your debts are paid on 1st of the month to remove the temptation to spend on other things.

Rest – make some time for yourself this month to just rest and recuperate. We all rush around but this month we are going to slow down and savour the moment. Now the nights are lighter could you sit outside with a drink or even start eating outside?

Invite – I would like everyone to arrange to meet up with family/friends this month. Can you arrange to meet up with someone you have been meaning to? Some of us will have a long bank holiday weekend for Easter – this might be an ideal time to visit relatives far and near.

Love – I want everyone to love their garden this month. Back in September when I did the challenge everyone had the task of putting the garden to bed for winter – well now we are going to get the garden out of bed!!
    Can the garden furniture now come out of the shed?
    Can you start planting seeds ready to grow your own fruit and veg? If you are not green fingered start looking out for smaller plants which just need planting out.
    Or what about buying some flowers to plant? It’s too late to plant daffodils for this year but you can always buy them and plant them ready for next year. Or primroses are for sale in the shops at the moment and are sure to brighten up any garden.
    The birds will need feeding – can you fill the bird feeder? Could you buy some fat balls or in the MSE way make your own?

The challenge will run from 1st April 00:01 until 30th April 00:00.

Please post as much as possible to let us know your progress.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Page 13
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 17th Apr 17, 8:45 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 7,313 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Congratulations, Skint Teacher. So pleased everything went the way you wanted it to.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 17th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 7,313 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Well, didn't loose any weight this week. I'm just surprised I didn't put any on! I'm getting a bit depressed about my appearance and lifestyle. I've been lazy and not putting much effort into anything. Feeling really tired. So, got to get back on track. Cut out the rubbish and alcohol (again!!!) and start off by making an appointment tomorrow to get my hair done. Been months and it's looking all straggly and the roots are really showing, Going for lunch with Lovely Cousin and Sister in Law on Friday. They both always look so perfectly groomed. Maybe I should ask for some tips.
    Moan over for today. Negativity be gone! I'm off for a walk now the sun's come out.
    Have a lovely holiday, everyone.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 17th Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Clocking NSD 4 and 5 and reporting an amazing wedding!
    Originally posted by SkintTeacher
    Congratulations Skint Teacher. x
    #545- SPC
    Homeowner by 40
    August Nsd 1/15
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 17th Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    I've been quiet but still counting NSD - my dads wedding was on Saturday which was a brilliant day!

Been a bit of a spendy weekend though. Hoping today will be a NSD and to tomorrow I plan on decorating the hallway. I'm so happy to have some time off from work.

I'm on 8/16 NSD
    September grocery challenge £275.68/£275| Emergency £1,000 challenge - £55/£1,000 | September NSD 13/18
    Credit Card: £245 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,427 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,817 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • bilko89
    • By bilko89 17th Apr 17, 4:57 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    bilko89
    Sorry to barge in but NSD = No Spend Day?
    SPC10 #560
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 6,213 Posts
    • 62,964 Thanks
    greent
    Sorry to barge in but NSD = No Spend Day?
    Originally posted by bilko89
    It does. You may also see SFD - spend free day - so the same thing
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 17th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Afternoon everyone!

Sorry for being AWOL - busy Easter Weekend. Had a lovely time (if a little spendy!) - back to normality tomorrow... I hope you all had a good one x

This Easter I have been grateful for:
    • The kindness of friends
    • Some lovely weather and walks
    • Time spent with my new chap
    Today = NSD number 7

SkintTeacher - Congratulations!!!
    Crazy_Cat_Lady - I hope you are feeling better

Feel kind of caught up at last. Hoping to shift my remaining debts this week and will then re-look at my financial health and plans for the remainder of the year. It's car service/MOT time so will organise that one too this week. Have a lovely evening folks x

Repay Car : Phase 2 : £0/£500 by 13/09
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £4683.65. EF = £1250/£4500
    NST Sept : NSD=1/16 : Food £25/£100 : Spends £25/£100
    365 Day 1p Challenge = £556.80/£667.95. £1.00 a Day = £273.00/£365.00
    Spiritual Practice =0/31. Exercise Sessions 1/14. Cash Bonus = £26/£150 + £267/£399
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 14,296 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I've been reading but not posting. Very bad week. SkintTeacher congratulations.

After another lovely week away I came back and crashed again. Binge eating and spending unnecessarily. Not excessive amounts of spending, but I'm not happy.

Ive done some prep for the week ahead. I'm supposed to be racing on Sunday, but with no training and gorging I'm a stone heavier than I was for this race last year so I'm not hopeful. I'll plan to get round in under an hour.

I did however list some dive kit for sale so hopefully will bring in some extra money this month.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 17th Apr 17, 9:41 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 46,082 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dd having a fun playdate, for going to the playground, for my gram flour pancakes being surprisingly tasty, for dh cooking tea, for the climbing frame still being used a lot, for dd looking forward to going back to school tomorrow, for information about anything and everything being available on tinternet, for another NSD under my belt, for dh finding a kit to stick my tooth back in until I can get to the dentist, for good books to read.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 15; Ex 14; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 17th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 16,361 Thanks
    misstara
    A NSD for me 9/16
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1516.52 (34.1% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 6/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £125.61/£150. NSD target 8/18.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 17th Apr 17, 10:40 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 20,615 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Congratulations Skint Teacher.

Spendy day for me - managing to forage meals from the stores but the longing for chocolate has been building. Waited until the main shops were closed as DS3 was compiling a list (including reduced choc eggs). So a small spend but not good (being weighed next week).

Sorry my posts are brief atm. Feels very chaotic atm but hoping if I am patient I will see the way forward (chaotic as in the Chinese proverb change/ opportunity). Not online a lot, have really cut back on gaming time and only checking my e-mail every few days (they have once again changed the format and it's driving me up the wall).

Watching old detective episodes as I need to sew and not feeling it today (have them on as background). Worked as I have done quite a bit (not as much as other days but good when I was 'forcing' myself.

Today I am grateful for cooking bacon and ys cabbage, for reasonable weather and for a chance to relax.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Sep #14 SFD 11/18 Spent £53.84/ £60
    Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 18th Apr 17, 2:20 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone

Great going with all the NSDs

Today will probably be a NSD for me taking me upto 16 for this month.

Wishing you all a super and inspiring day
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 Sept NSDs 4/15CCCChl 9/12 months
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 18th Apr 17, 9:43 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 7,313 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Morning Turtles
    Feeling a bit more positive today but still feeling tired. Went for a long walk and bought some YS bits and pieces. Most of it needed apart from YS mini eggs that C couldn't resist. Washed everything I could (apart from son's bedding which I'll do as soon as he sets off for work) got it dried outside and most of it is already ironed. Managed to avoid the alcohol, nibbles and chocolate - even Toni's birthday cake is still in the fridge waiting for someone to eat it. Lunch and dinner came from leftovers in the freezer and all today's meals are coming from stores as well. Making soup for dinner tomorrow as it's C's day out and it's easy when he eventually comes home.
    I've looked out all my lotions and potions and am starting to get back into some sort of routine to make me look better and boost my mood. I remember the time I would never have gone outside without full make up, Don't want to get back to that but it would be nice to look reasonable.
    Anyway, I'm off for a shower. then a walk to find a suitable hairdresser,
    Have a good day.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 18th Apr 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 24,537 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello again,

Sorry for my absence so far this month.

After thinking I'll just join in late after a week away at the start of April things just went wrong or didn't quite go as planned. Washing machine broke beyond repair (looked for good deals, cash back etc), needed to buy a new lock for a cabinet, feeling flabby and rushed of my feet all the time. And had to lend hubby money again.

Not quite sure where I am with NSD and overspend massively (all recorded though).

On a positive note, got DS birthday presents mostly second hand or with vouchers and finally taught DS to ride the bike he got (heavy spider man one he had for two years now, DH thought it's still too heavy etc and nearly wanted to buy him a new one for DS' birthday, so I just thought no way, he can ride this one and all of a sudden he got it). Bought a dress for a wedding in 4 weeks that I love (and can wear on other occasions again too)

DH and I also signed up for another triathlon (another expense) as we need to do sth about the flab. So last week I started training again more seriously and eating healthy. Now I just need to work on living slower and enjoying life rather than always feeling rushed by chores etc.

Also DS (6) and DD (3) started playing outside more (back and front garden) and riding their bikes on the pavement in our quiet cup-de-sac. Takes a bit getting used to their new found independence (well, still checking on them of course but don't have to be with them all the time now IYKWIM).

So, hopefully I'll be able catch up a bit today on what's been happening here.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    Exercise 14/20 Amazon vouchers for xmas £0
    Debt - all 0% 1436 to go from 5290 (72% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 18th Apr 17, 5:40 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Yesterday was a NSD so I'm at 9/16.

Today wasn't a NSD. I've used some of the emergency fund to fund my ch needed decoration supplies - hallway is vile and needs painting. So, white paint, more brushes and rollers, wood primer, sanding paper and gloss. I've got a busy few days coming up! I spent more than I really wanted to (got some baking bits too and a new mirror) and spent £140.

Still - I've half done the walls now and it looks so much cleaner already.

We'll have to top up the emergency fund by making serious savings on food and limiting the takeaways (real problem for us).
    September grocery challenge £275.68/£275| Emergency £1,000 challenge - £55/£1,000 | September NSD 13/18
    Credit Card: £245 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,427 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,817 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 6,213 Posts
    • 62,964 Thanks
    greent
    Not NSD today - 88p on postage (although paid for by the ebay buyers) and small amount in Tesc0. Lots of little bits n pieces left the house.

Today I am thankful for:
    * getting lots of little jobs done out of the house before noon
    * a dry day to get 2 loads of washing done
    * the opportunity for an early night (will go to bed by 8.30 as I'm not feeling quite right)
    * responsible teenagers enabling me to do the above (they will check DS2 goes to sleep and ensure house is locked up/ lights are off)
    * my mum taking smalls out for an hour on a walk
    * DS2 spending half an hour with me in tidying his room (still masses to do but visible progress made in that time)
    * snuggly jamas
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 18th Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Hello!
    Back from my travels around Ireland, managed a lot of NSD's, currently on 12 out of the 16 planned.

We did a hop on/ hop off bus tour of Belfast (less than £5 each with a family ticket) went to the Titanic experience - could easily have been a whole day affair (£10 each and well worth it), an afternoon at the local swimming baths which handily had a lazy river and flumes, then a day in Dublin visiting the Chester Beattie Museum, parliament building and a stroll around Temple Bar plus a little revisiting Newgrange ancient monument and Trim castle. DH was there so he picked up all the parking, and the kids had their pocket money already so no handouts needed.

Sadly the elderly relatives all made the kids promise they would be over again in the Summer holidays, it annoys me when they do things through the kids without asking me. So my plans to get all the visiting over with in the Easter holidays seems to have backfired on me. Best laid plans of mice and foxes....

Skint teacher - congratulations!
    Abundant - well done on closing the account and being self aware enough to notice. My mob are all big gamblers, not large amounts, but it is the first thing they do in a day.
    I don't even do the lottery regularly as I fear it might be learnt behaviour.

Happy Easter to all, my kids have 3 chocolate eggs each (obv not from me, I know they don't really like chocolate), and so I have most of it sat in my fridge as they have requested I melt it down and turn it into something they like (not chocolate). I am a culinary wizard.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    September 17 - £109,896.73
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 18th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,907 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Sorry for my absence so far this month.

After thinking I'll just join in late after a week away at the start of April things just went wrong or didn't quite go as planned. ..... And had to lend hubby money again.

Originally posted by thriftylass
    No need to apologise.
    Before you went away you mentioned having a chat with DH as you had just found out how much he earned - is this connected in any way to you having to lend him money?
    Does he earn more or less than you think?
    Why do you have to lend him money when he has run out - can you not just let him suffer?
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 18th Apr 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,907 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Just wanted to say well done to all Turtles who have made it to Day 18 - everyone is doing fab even with school holidays and other issues which have been sent to try us.

Sunday was a NSD and I managed to clear out loads of clutter - a plastic box full of s/employed paperwork from 2008 - I have got rid of everything except 2011, 2012 + 2013.

Also managed to clear some other boxes in the bedroom by just chucking everything - we definitely have too much stuff for the size of the house. I suggested getting rid of the Wii as this is in a box and everyone said not to but we have not played it for about 2 years.
    Might need to start making an effort with it and if not then I will give it away to someone who can make use of it.

Monday was a spend day as DD decided she needed make up and clothes - this comes from her Child Benefit account but while we were out I got some cheap PJ's and some plants for the garden. She did time it well as H&M had a small sale on and also if you spent more than £30 you got 20% off so a bill of £80+ came to £65 which wasnt too bad for 6 t-shirts, socks and dungarees and my PJ's.

Today has also been a spend day as won an item on ebay and have been to collect some of it tonight but I paid the guy in full.
    IN future when I bid on fencing I will make sure I consider the amount and length before I bid - we have done 2 truck loads tonight and there is about another 2 or 3 to go - oooppss!! (However it is a bargain as there is more there than I thought!!)
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 46,082 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dd going happily in to school, for a quick catch up with a mum in the playground, for lots of walking, for finding some toofypegs to stick my tooth in - again, for finding what I needed in sainz, for a happy chat with big sis, for sunshine, for my tomato plants shooting up, for dh admiring the knitted bumblebees I've made, for a good book to read.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 15; Ex 14; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter