Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SephirothX
    • By SephirothX 27th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 51Thanks
    SephirothX
    How to install a dishwasher in this kitchen?
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    How to install a dishwasher in this kitchen? 27th Mar 17 at 9:21 PM
    I have just moved into a house (bought) and it did not have a dishwasher in it. The house is 5 years old and apparently there is space where a dishwasher should go and a plug socket behind it. But I can't work out how I would go about installing one.

Here is a photo of the space (the cabinet to the left):

The dimensions of the space are as follows (cm):

Height to top of bench from the floor: 88
    Depth: 51 (59 to back of bench)
    Width: 45

I measured the width counting the width of the inside + cabinet side panels since the side panels seem to be their own panel, IE not forming part of the divider to the one next to it. So in theory the whole cabinet should just screw out.

Looking at Currys most slimline dishwashers seem to be around 82 x 45 x 55 (H x W x D) so they should fit nicely.

What about the plinth? Does a dishwasher door open higher than the bottom of the machine or will the plinth have to be chopped up to accommodate the dishwasher? I've never owned a dishwasher and nor have my parents so I'm unsure.

It looks like the dishwasher will have to be facing the kitchen too rather than adding a cupboard door on to it to hide it. I don't have a door the right shape for the space since I'll be removing a cupboard door plus drawer. Buying a new door isn't really an option since the kitchen was installed by the house builders for the previous owners and I have no idea what kind of door to get to match the rest.

Also one other important thing, how much would I be looking at to get this work done for me? I am not confident removing the unit myself (unless it's easy?). Disherwasher installation at Currys for example seems to be £25 which is fine, but that doesn't include removing a unit. If the plinth has to be cut then I definitely can't do it myself.
Page 2
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 1st Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    EssexExile
    That's not what you need. Get the plastic one & let the installer fit it, it'll only take seconds. It won't leak.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-y-piece/81000?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-plumbing-_-washingmachineypiece
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 1st Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Further update. I have managed to remove the kitchen cupboard myself. I can confirm there is an electrical socket behind it.

Spoke with a lad at work about the pipework, looks like I will need a plumber or attempt to split the pipe myself. He reckons it's easy and showed me how to do it but I'm not too confident with that.
    Originally posted by SephirothX
    Not a great idea to have the socket directly behind the dishwasher. I would move it to the cupboard under the sink.
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 1st Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    Not a great idea to have the socket directly behind the dishwasher. I would move it to the cupboard under the sink.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    As per pictures water is easy connected with the plastic adaptor and there is existing spigot for waste, Great.

Water can be turned of at washing Machine valve should be similar to this link. http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231 Unscrew washer hose and connect Y piece, washer reconnect to one dishwasher to other.

But as above, the dishwasher is being built in? There would be no way to isolate power if socket is behind.

Is there not a switch above the worktop that controls the socket

Perhaps running a short extension from socket to under sink would be better?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5689732
    Last edited by Hasbeen; 01-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    • SephirothX
    • By SephirothX 2nd Apr 17, 8:10 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    SephirothX
    That's not what you need. Get the plastic one & let the installer fit it, it'll only take seconds. It won't leak.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-y-piece/81000?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-plumbing-_-washingmachineypiece
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Oh, I thought they were essentially the same thing. I will return the item I bought since I haven't tried to install it, and instead buy that one.

Are you sure an installer (IE Currys or Tesco Direct) will install that Y piece for me?

As per pictures water is easy connected with the plastic adaptor and there is existing spigot for waste, Great.

Water can be turned of at washing Machine valve should be similar to this link. http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231 Unscrew washer hose and connect Y piece, washer reconnect to one dishwasher to other.

But as above, the dishwasher is being built in? There would be no way to isolate power if socket is behind.

Is there not a switch above the worktop that controls the socket

Perhaps running a short extension from socket to under sink would be better?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5689732
    I think I'll just leave the plumbing connection to the installer if they will do that for me. I'll buy the part EssexExile suggested.

Regarding the electricity, yes there is a switch above the worktop that controls the socket. Same way the washing machine is wired up. I think that is fine?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 2nd Apr 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Are you sure an installer (IE Currys or Tesco Direct) will install that Y piece for me?
    Originally posted by SephirothX
    I'm not "sure" but it will take them seconds. If they're in any way prepared they'll have one with them but I wouldn't risk it.The electrics are fine.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • SephirothX
    • By SephirothX 2nd Apr 17, 11:06 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    SephirothX
    I'm not "sure" but it will take them seconds. If they're in any way prepared they'll have one with them but I wouldn't risk it.The electrics are fine.
    Awesome. So I guess all I need to sort now is the door/drawer. I have the plates to fix them together but not the tools to make the holes! I have a drill but I need to go out and buy a small enough drill bit tomorrow and some screws.

Oh and it turns out Currys actually charge £90 for an installation, not £25. I was wrong. The £25 is for a non-integrated dishwasher!
    Last edited by SephirothX; 03-04-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    • SephirothX
    • By SephirothX 17th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    SephirothX
    My dishwasher arrived on Friday and I have been trying to install it this weekend. I have done everything except the water connection.

It turns out that Y piece connector I bought is a pile of crap. First attempt at fixing it I was getting a leak from the dishwasher connection. Second attempt it is leaking from where it fits on to the water pipe. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Tempted to buy a brass one off Amazon.

Edit: Just tried again and it isn't leaking this time. I wonder if I can trust it...
    Last edited by SephirothX; 17-04-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 18th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Our kitchen is old, integrated appliances were not so popular back then.

However, we did not want the dishwasher to stick out so we used a 650mm deep worktop on that side of the kitchen and set the units forward from the wall by 50mm, works well.
    Originally posted by jennifernil
    Exactly what I'm going to do with my boiler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

1,085Users online

Martin's Twitter