Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 7,666Posts
    • 21,368Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 17
    • jwil
    • By jwil 29th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.68 to Mortgage
    £5.00 to savings
    £100 to emergency savings
    £3.22 to joint od.
    Last edited by jwil; 29-09-2017 at 7:55 AM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 29th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    As it's payday I've updated my end of month totals. I've also listed my debts individually and added my emergency savings in as well

Total debt:

1. £2,301.00/ £2,288.00
    2. £8,388.00/ £8,338.00
    3. £6,892.00/ £6,878.00
    4. £4,022.00/ £4,008.00
    5. £2,380.00/£1,900.00
    6. £4,586.00/£4,568.00
    7. £4,813.00/£4,787.00
    8. £1,175.00/£596.00

£34,557/£33,363 = 3.46% paid
    Savings target: £19,320/£323 = 1.67% reached

Emergency savings: £1100

DFD - December 2087 March 2087

Slowly but surely...
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 29th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Looking good jwil . I know you had the PPI benefit, but are you now focusing on Debt no 8? Or are you trying to get them all down simultaneously towards full and final settlement levels?

Awesome work on the emergency savings as well by the way!
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 29th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,018 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Love that no 5 and no 8 went into a new thousand. What's the ef target now?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 29th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 4,329 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    It's all moving in the right direction. Well done
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 29th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,607 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey JWIL just thought I'd pop in and catch up. Liking your end of month updates! Might borrow your idea, so much easier to keep track when it's all written down in front of you. You're doing wonderfully!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 29th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Looking good jwil . I know you had the PPI benefit, but are you now focusing on Debt no 8? Or are you trying to get them all down simultaneously towards full and final settlement levels?

Awesome work on the emergency savings as well by the way!
    Originally posted by mfmaybe

Thank you The PPI came off debt number 5. Number 8 had a load of charges refunded earlier in the year which is what reduced that.

At the moment, there is no 'spare' money for debts, so they are all on token payments. Any money I get from ebay etc is going to the emergency fund, which I will also use for F&F if I get the opportunity.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 29th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're making great progress and the debts are all heading in the right direction .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Love that no 5 and no 8 went into a new thousand. What's the ef target now?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thank you I'm not sure what to aim for, there's a lot that could possibly be needed.

My car is 17 years old, and as you can see from my posts here, often needing work done. I have to provide a car for work, it's in my contract. So ideally I'd like around £3k to enable me to replace it if it ever came to it.

Our house needs loads of work done, so maybe £1k to cover any emergencies there.

Then of course I'd like a F&F fund so as much as possible there.

I reckon I need to aim for at least £5-6K and probably more

It's all moving in the right direction. Well done
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    Thanks retired How are you!

Hey JWIL just thought I'd pop in and catch up. Liking your end of month updates! Might borrow your idea, so much easier to keep track when it's all written down in front of you. You're doing wonderfully!
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    Thanks missy I find them quite useful. I've only put the grand total before, but thought I'd add them all in individually too as it's much easier to keep track, especially if I'm logging in away from home!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    You're making great progress and the debts are all heading in the right direction .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Well I was so pleased with how I was getting on yesterday, until I got home and had a letter from Tax Credits. Apparently we have an overpayment of £1200 . They are recovering part from this year, and part from future awards. The problem is, I don't think we will be eligible for any future awards, so I'm going to have to pay it back. Bye bye emergency fund I'll keep hold of it until they ask for it, but that's probably £800 or more of it allocated.

Also, they don't appear to have updated DH's employment even though I sent it to them at the start of the month. So it might be even bigger *sigh*. So this weekend I am going to write to them with all of the current employment and childcare details on there and hope they sort it properly.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.32 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to savings
    £3.00 to emergency savings
    £2.00 to joint od.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    I also had a letter from my unenforceable debt yesterday. They sent some more paperwork, but did not mention whether it was enforceable or unenforceable. They have told me to contact them to make a mutually acceptable arrangement to clear the debt.

I assume from that that it is still unenforceable, so I am tempted to go in for a stupidly low F&F (10%) and see if by some miracle they accept. What do you guys think? I know my EF is allocated at the moment, but I wont need to pay back the tax credits til next year so should be able to rebuild it by then. It's debt number 6.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 30th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 22,841 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Looking good

Also for tax credits remember you don't have to pay it in one go, Maybe a monthly payment would be better than using all your EF?
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Ouch to the tax credits, hate it when that happens . I agree that maybe you should pay it monthly rather than lose the emergency fund?

Hope your debt is unenforceable. Do you need to pay them anything if its unenforceable?
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Looking good

Also for tax credits remember you don't have to pay it in one go, Maybe a monthly payment would be better than using all your EF?
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Good point, thank you There's just not much room in the budget so it will probably have to come from savings anyway. Monthly is less painful though!

Ouch to the tax credits, hate it when that happens . I agree that maybe you should pay it monthly rather than lose the emergency fund?

Hope your debt is unenforceable. Do you need to pay them anything if its unenforceable?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    They can't take me to court and get a CCJ if it's unenforceable, but they can still chase it. I could probably stop paying but I'd be waiting 6 years before it was statute barred, and they can still chase it, sell it on, and there's always a chance the correct paperwork might turn up. I don't want all that hassle, so I'd rather settle it if I can, then I know it's all done and finalised.

I'm going to send the low offer this week, if they accept it, great, if not, I'll carry on paying £1 a month.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    I managed to do 30 listings yesterday for DH so today I'm going to get some done for me. As time goes on, I'm deciding I want less and less stuff, so more is available to go.

I'd much rather do stuff than own stuff now.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.32 to Mortgage
    £3.00 to savings
    £5.00 to emergency savings
    £4.29 to joint od.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£2.69 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to savings
    £3.00 to emergency savings
    £1.51 to joint od.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    jwil
    Several parcels have been posted today and yesterday Always good to see stuff leaving.

Someone is being a pain on ebay, keeps wanting to add stuff to their order and therefore is taking ages to sort. I just want to tell them to get lost!

I checked online for Tax credits and it looks like they've only updated half my updates so I've redone it and also sent a letter with all changes on it, in the hope that they get it this time! I'd definitely done the changes as the boxes were coming up with the same figures as suggestions when I was typing them in!

My other PPI claim have sent me a paper questionnaire to complete and return to them. It is the exact same questions on the resolver website which were used in my complaint! So I've just copied my answers and sent that back to them.

The other thing to do this week is send off the F&F offer for my unenforceable debt. I can't imagine they'll accept it, but it would be interesting to see what they come back with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin