Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 7,562Posts
    • 20,966Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 15
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi. I'm loving all your lists for payments, decluttering and ebay!

I used to sell on Ebay as a business and other people started buying the same stock so it wasn't worth it in the end. I do still list on Ebay on my private account now, mainly children's clothing (my sil gave me a lot of my nieces baby/toddler clothing). Can I ask (if you don't mind) what do you find sells better? (Clothes, ornaments, books, games, shoes etc.). My best sell this year was a JoJo Siwa hair bow from Claires that I had, it was £10 and it sold for £50, I started it at 99p auction and was surprised it went for that much (they were hard to get hold of at the time, now there are over 900 of them on Ebay).

I also only take my girls to the kids movies at the Cinema, Odeon is £2.50 each so £10 for 4 of us, we tend to do this in the school holidays and take our own drinks, popcorn and sweets.

Enjoy your Sunday!

TMD
    Originally posted by too_much_debt
    Hi TMD, thanks for popping in

We sell all sorts on ebay, toys, craft stuff, household goods, magazines, things we've collected over the years. I used to sell my books on there, but I find there's no real point unless they are rare or collectible, so rarely put any on now. Same with DVDs and CDs.

I found clothes too much hassle so send those to charity now. I did sell a lot of the baby equipment as well. Now that it's free listing most of the time, I just try something on there at the minimum I want for it, and you only get charged fees if it sells. If it doesn't then off to car boot or charity it goes.

That's a great result with the bow, I love it when things go for unexpected prices!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    We've had a nice (if expensive!) day out today to celebrate a birthday. The kids had a great time, and so did we. Must reign it in a bit now.

I did have some great news though, one of my debts has come back unenforceable and another they appear to be struggling to find the paperwork. I wasn't expecting that, and it's a £4k debt I'll leave it ticking over for now with my token payments and maybe try for a F&F later.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Sep 17, 10:31 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 979 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Great news about the unenforceable debt.

You've inspired me with your de-cluttering jwil. I've been tidying and de-cluttering my bedroom all day and have a bag to take to the charity shop as well as one black bin liner full to chuck away .

De-cluttering crap and debt busting is pretty similar I think. They both free up your life for something better .
    Debt at highest = £58,766 Current debt = £16,234

Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Great news about the unenforceable debt.

You've inspired me with your de-cluttering jwil. I've been tidying and de-cluttering my bedroom all day and have a bag to take to the charity shop as well as one black bin liner full to chuck away .

De-cluttering crap and debt busting is pretty similar I think. They both free up your life for something better .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on the decluttering! You are right, it makes a huge difference, and seeing the stuff leaving is like a weight off the shoulders!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Off to meet a friend today. Little jwil is off to school tomorrow! We did a trial run of his uniform yesterday and the waist on his trousers is huge! Might try and pick up a different pair today if I get a chance.

33 parcels sent yesterday so most of the day was packing! Another 3 today.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.80 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to savings
    £1.81 to joint od.

3 parcels posted this morning.

Car is booked in for some more work Starter motor and cam belt and a service. Likely to be around £400. I need it done as I can't afford for it to not start in the morning and it is starting to play up. DH wants the cam belt done and is offering to pay for that. I didn't get it serviced when it had the MOT done so might as well get it done now.

So I am listing away to try and raise as much as I can towards it.

Sent updated incomes (DH) and childcare to tax credits today. So now waiting to see if we are eligible for anything or worse, have to pay anything back.

I am trying to get on with things this week but it's a bit awkward with little jwil only being in for 2hrs a day, it's not really worth getting stuck in when you have to go out again!

I have cleared a big bag of stuff that was dumped in our bedroom and some other odd bits too, so I am making a little progress!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.36 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to savings
    £1.64 to joint od.

I managed to get quite a bit of listing done yesterday and some already have bids so happy there

I've been trying to tackle toys today, I've sneaked a couple of bits out but mostly just trying to organise them a bit better. I'm going to move a few bits up to their bedroom as well so there's not so much downstairs.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Decluttering:
    Books: 461
    Magazines/papers: 51
    Ebay parcels: 1305
    Other: 274

Total: 2091

Ebay listings: 1499

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £148.35
    Paypal/cash: £159.07
    Other vouchers:
    Last edited by jwil; 08-09-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Decluttering:

263. Wallet
    264. 2 x soft toys
    265. 9 x folders
    266. 3 x videos
    267. 4 x cassettes
    268. 4 x floppy discs
    269. rock kit
    270. 26 x postcards
    271. Huge pile of photo negatives
    272. 2 x flags
    273. Rubber bands
    274. Ball of string
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,189 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Well done on the decluttering. You're inspiring me to do some more....just when I finish catching up on the diaries
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the decluttering. You're inspiring me to do some more....just when I finish catching up on the diaries
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Thanks Brizzle
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    DH and I had yet another row about the state of the house yesterday He has apologised this morning and vowed to get on with clearing it. I do wonder if we are ever going to be on the same page about it.

He's taking the kids out for the day so I'm going to have a day to myself.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.36 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to savings
    £1.11 to joint od.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.36 to Mortgage
    £4.00 to savings
    £2.64 to joint od.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Sep 17, 12:28 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 979 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    How's it going jwil? You've inspired me to do some more decluttering this weekend

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 17th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 20,618 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope everythings okay x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    How's it going jwil? You've inspired me to do some more decluttering this weekend
    Hope everythings okay x
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Thanks guys Sorry I've not been posting, I've been a busy bee though

Well done on the decluttering HHD!

It's been a bit difficult focussing recently what with traipsing back and forth to school. Roll on full time hours! DH is covering this week so I am back at work.

I did manage to get some stuff done though. We've had a good couple of weeks on ebay so quite a lot of stuff has shifted there I think I've raised enough to cover a good proportion of my car bill this week, so am really pleased.

I was also pleased to find that for the first time in probably ever (!) I had enough to pay outright the electricity and gas bill when it came in (albeit it was a low summer one).

Because I couldn't really get stuck in, I made a start on 'digital clutter' trying to organise and sort out the stuff on the computers. I've transferred everything from the old laptop to an external drive and so am in the process of organising that.

DH is off this week so hoping he will get on and tackle his stuff.

I've also put in for two PPI refunds. One I already got rejected on and now have gone back after seeing 's Plevin article. The other one is one I haven't done before but am pretty sure I had. However, I also have an outstanding CCA request with this account and evidently they are struggling to come up with the paperwork so I'm not overly hopeful.

Another couple of accounts came back with agreements, but my one that is currently unenforceable have sent me another letter saying it is unenforceable, so still happy about that.

A complaint I put in about another account has been upheld so waiting to see about the outcome of that.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 20,618 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Wow you have been busy!

Hope you've fit some 'me' time in their too x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 979 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're doing well, it's great to get everything organised ☺

• jwil
    • By jwil 19th Sep 17, 6:47 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 20,966 Thanks
    jwil
    Wow you have been busy!

Hope you've fit some 'me' time in their too x
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    You're doing well, it's great to get everything organised ☺
    Thanks guys HI I've taken time out to 'declutter' (ie read) books as well so happy with that
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin