Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 11,886Posts
    • 11,392Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 97
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 11,886 Posts
    • 11,392 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Is it really that easy?. Martin has done quite a lot on this and has provided a template for requesting information on credit card charges etc (with the statutory £10 fee) prior to a reclaim. I was going on the information and advice he'd given.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    You can do it that way if you wish.

All I did was the above, and they sent me a list of charges I had paid, which I successfully reclamed from them.

Try the free way first, if they don't play ball, send the SAR.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 6th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    Hi all
    I've just had two scary sounding letters, one from Lloyds saying "despite several reminders including the issue of a default notice served pursuant to section 87(I) your account is still in arrears) and the one from vanquis says if my payment isn't made within 14 days they'll pass on my details to a DCA I've made my third reduced payment- please tell me these letters are nothing? Panicking all over again. Thanks all x
    • Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 6th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    The lloyds one also says they may get a DCA to collect. Please say they won't come to my house
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 6th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Hi there

Try not to panick as they are standard computer generated letters, ideally you want them to be sold to DCA, s as there is a better chance of getting lower full and finals further down your debt free journey

Max
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 11,886 Posts
    • 11,392 Thanks
    sourcrates
    The lloyds one also says they may get a DCA to collect. Please say they won't come to my house
    Originally posted by Rebeccadougherty
    Rebecca just keep in mind why they send these letters, they are specifically worded to get you to contact them, I've had hundreds back in the day, they mean nothing, all that will happen is your debt will be passed to a DCA.

They will then phone and write to you, home visits are rare, some companies still use self employed collectors, like the blokes who used to come and collect pools money, you don't need to speak to them, either ignore or film them and ask them to leave, they can't do anything, there just normal folk like you and me.

It's defaults your after right ?

Sometimes companies don't default, do you have a plan yet to tackle your debts ?

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 6th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 22,807 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    You can do it that way if you wish.

All I did was the above, and they sent me a list of charges I had paid, which I successfully reclamed from them.

Try the free way first, if they don't play ball, send the SAR.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thanks, sourcrates, I'll do as you advise. If it worked for you that's good enough for me. Will probably save me £10 as well
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Aug: £4112.05 Sept: £119.86
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 7th Sep 17, 2:36 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    Hi
    Thank you for the advice. Sourcrates, I don't have a plan other than just trying to pay the damn thing off ugh wish I didn't get into this mess what sort of plan should I have? I'm so bad at this thanks again
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 7th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Hi
    Thank you for the advice. Sourcrates, I don't have a plan other than just trying to pay the damn thing off ugh wish I didn't get into this mess what sort of plan should I have? I'm so bad at this thanks again
    I thought I recall reading that you were in a DMP with StepChange, yes? But you were reducing payments so that you could build up an emergency fund (or you had some bills to pay) - I may be wrong of course; this thread moves along so quickly I sometimes mix people up.

What we all push for are 'defaults' and most find it much easier dealing with DCAs rather than the original creditor. For one, they tend to stop all interest and charges (if the OC hasn't already) and are more willing to accept reduced full and final settlements when the time is right.

Don't sweat about people knocking on your door - it's highly unlikely. When you find out who the DCAs are -then pop back on as I'm sure the names will be familiar and people can give you advice about their experiences with them. My DCAs are/were Cabot, Westcott, LINK and PRA - all very easy to deal with.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Current Status: 6 Creditors / £11,994
    DFD: Aiming for end of 2018
    Self-managed Aug17: CCAs pending
    • Leanneglos1
    • By Leanneglos1 7th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Leanneglos1
    Out of curiosity how long have people left it until the offer F&F, long way down the line for me but just nice to know, trying to look to the future
    • Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 7th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    Hi SuseKa97 :3

Yes you're correct I didn't know if there was anything else I should be doing, as all I'm doing is paying Stepchange and trying to save. I've just made my third reduced payment. I didn't know if Sourcrates meant do I have any other plan. Stepchange said I couldn't do any more that 3 reduced payments although I really wanted to do 5. Emergency fund is still too low, always seem to be new things cropping up to pay for latest thing is a massive leak in the house which is gonna be expensive to fix, and my boyfriend and I, who I haven't told about the debts yet, are moving house at some point so I'm worried about not finding a josh straight away as we are moving to Northampton. I'm starting to feel really low about the whole DMP
    • Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 7th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    Job not josh!
    • Bewildered Banshee
    • By Bewildered Banshee 7th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Bewildered Banshee
    Hi
    Not of a wobble!!
    Just started my dmp with step change so letters have just gone to creditors. I've had 3 calls today from Tesco bank one of which was to work! I've now spoken to them and withdrawn my acceptance of telephone calls.
    Tonight Nationwide have rang OH re setting up a direct debit on his c.c (he isn't in my dmp) is this coincidence or are they trying to check him out.
    He knows all about it and it is my debt so feeling quite shitty about the impact it has on him.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 7th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi all

We have now received 2 default notices from MBNA for 2 CCs. Things seem to be moving along a bit now. We have until the 23rd to pay up or else a default will be issued.

That will mean 4 down 2 to go
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
    Short term goal £510/£1796
    EF/1k
    • Keezing
    • By Keezing 8th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Keezing
    Hi all

We have now received 2 default notices from MBNA for 2 CCs. Things seem to be moving along a bit now. We have until the 23rd to pay up or else a default will be issued.

That will mean 4 down 2 to go
    M
    Originally posted by motivated
    It will be interesting to see what they do after the default.

We also had 2 MBNA cards recently defaulted but they have said that the accounts will remain with their "support" team due to my wife's medical situation, rather than being sold to a DCA.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 22,807 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi
    Not of a wobble!!
    Just started my dmp with step change so letters have just gone to creditors. I've had 3 calls today from Tesco bank one of which was to work! I've now spoken to them and withdrawn my acceptance of telephone calls.
    Tonight Nationwide have rang OH re setting up a direct debit on his c.c (he isn't in my dmp) is this coincidence or are they trying to check him out.
    He knows all about it and it is my debt so feeling quite shitty about the impact it has on him.
    Originally posted by Bewildered Banshee
    I thinl wobbles are normal at the outset, lots of things happen for the first time and it throws some of us into anxiety mode. It's fear of the unknown really I think. Things will straighten themselves out given a little time. Try not to worry too much. You've done the right and sensible thing embarking on a DMP so should feel proud of yourself.

It's good that you told Tesco not to contact you by phone. They should stop that now and letters are far less bothersome than phone calls as at least you have time to decide what to say in response instead of being flummoxed by having to deal with things straight away when being phoned. I used to hate being caught off guard by phone calls from creditors. It was such a relief when they all stopped after starting my DMP

I think Nationwide were way out of order contacting your OH if he isn't part of your DMP or maybe we are both assuming wrongly that it was something to do with it. It's probably their normal procedure with card payments, they prefer DDs to othe forms of payments, and the call at this time was purely coincidence. Having said that though, I've been with Nationwide for over 4 years now and they've never phoned me about a single thing. Do you and OH have any sort of joint accounts? If not and also, as you said, he isn't part of the DMP he shouldn't be impacted at all by your debt situation.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 08-09-2017 at 10:09 AM.

. Getting there
    • Bewildered Banshee
    • By Bewildered Banshee 8th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Bewildered Banshee
    Thanks for the reply carbootz.

We have a joint mortgage with the Nationwide so are linked that way.

Maybe it is coincidence but they've never rang me ever and I haven't paid them this month, so very odd.

How long does it take to settle do you think? step change have now written to creditors?

Am I ok to say to anyone who phones to put it in writing?

Thanks for your help.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 22,807 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

Maybe it is coincidence but they've never rang me ever and I haven't paid them this month, so very odd.

How long does it take to settle do you think? step change have now written to creditors?

Thanks for your help.
    In my experience all my creditors accepted the proposals when Stepchange contacted them. A few of them never contacted me about it although they obviously accepted what they were being offered. I'd just leave it for a while. There's no hard and fast rule about how long these things take. Now it's with SC, just let them handle it. You'll hear soon enough if anyone isn't prepared to play ball although. from what I understand, it's very rare that they don't. As it's still early days and SC have just written to your creditors there might well be letters in transit that you'll receive. Some departments are very slow to catch up on events, things never move very quickly in these cases. If anyone phones during the transition stages just tell them SC are handling your affairs and give them your SC reference number. That should keep them quiet.

If any of your creditors phones about anything when you are on your DMP just do what you did with Tesco and tell them that you will not accept contact by phone and they should communicate with you in writing. They should accept this. Make sure you respond to their letters, although so many are just computer-generated and only worth binning and it's hard to know sometimes what needs a response and what can safely be ignored. If you receive anything you are doubtful about please come on here and tell us about it. Someone will always be able to advise you what to do about it.

Good Luck
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 08-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.

. Getting there
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 8th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Thanks for your help.
    Firstly, well done for taking the step to sort out your financial affairs and as carboot says, sit back and let SC handle things from now on. Also, again to reiterate what carboot has said - don't be surprised if over the next few days/weeks - even months, you receive letters from your creditors asking you to pay up or contact them. This is normal practice and many, if not most, will be automatically generated as soon as your account goes into formal arrears. if you're concerned about the content at any point, just pop back on here and we'll help.

It takes a little while to get your head into the DMP mindset - but it will all settle down and you can get on with living rather than worrying about being able to make ends meet each month.

Good luck with it
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 8th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Hi SuseKa97 :3
    Yes you're correct I didn't know if there was anything else I should be doing, as all I'm doing is paying Stepchange and trying to save. I've just made my third reduced payment. I didn't know if Sourcrates meant do I have any other plan. Stepchange said I couldn't do any more that 3 reduced payments although I really wanted to do 5. Emergency fund is still too low, always seem to be new things cropping up to pay for latest thing is a massive leak in the house which is gonna be expensive to fix, and my boyfriend and I, who I haven't told about the debts yet, are moving house at some point so I'm worried about not finding a josh straight away as we are moving to Northampton. I'm starting to feel really low about the whole DMP
    It's disappointing that they won't give you more leeway - but the fact of the matter is, if you can't afford the DMP payment then your I&E needs redoing. I know it's hard -but I would encourage you to talk to your boyfriend and open up about this, because its not going away. The reason I'm in a DMP is because my OH took out quite a bit of credit without my knowledge (at the time he had about 6 credit cards ). I should have realised something was up when he would dash to pick up the letters falling on the doormat and the fact he was struggling to sleep and suffered with very bad mood swings - all directly related to the amount of stress he was putting himself under.

When he finally confessed (at a time he was at breaking point) - yes, I was cross and yes, we did have a row, but I listened to him and supported him. It was me who then researched what I thought were his options and it was only when he contacted SC, who then started to quiz him about my financial situation (admittedly at the time I was non too pleased) that I soon realised that the only way forward was for us to do this together.

Now I'm not suggesting you need, or should have, a joint DMP -but he deserves to know the situation and it will help you handle this in the longer term. As to what happens if you move and don't get work straightaway - well then SC will have to suspend your DMP. You can't give what you don't have.
    • Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 9th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    Hi SuseKa97
    Why do you have to have a DMP If they're not your debts? I think I've just been super bad at budgeting, I'm getting better but it's hard. I know really I should tell him but I don't want him to think bad of me or decide to leave I don't want him to pay anything, I want to do it myself, I just don't want anyone else to know
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

2,051Users online

Martin's Twitter