Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 11,902Posts
    • 11,399Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 96
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 2nd Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks guys.

How stressful is going self-managed? Will the debt companies be more likely to take out CCJs against me?
    Originally posted by LadyMorticia
    You show them your budget, so that they know there getting as much as you can possibly afford to pay them.

Why go to the expense of legal action, and get no more benefit from it ?

They cant take what you dont have can they !!

Theres no reason to treat you any differently than they are now.

Tell them you are using "Morticia debt management services ltd".
    Last edited by sourcrates; 02-09-2017 at 5:39 PM.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 2nd Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 19,075 Posts
    • 86,295 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    Thank you. I have severe anxiety and get easily confused!

My psychiatrist did suggest trying to get the companies to write off my debt as I wasn't of sound mind when I took out the credit (I have BPD so spending is my way of coping) but I really don't want to do that as it sounds like such a cop out.

StepChange have been really good but it just feels like I'm chained to their practices and I dread to tell them if I'm struggling one month!
    September wins: £50 Sizzling Pubs voucher, Fiskars Tag Maker, Carnage mug, Googly Fruits hamper, Spiderman Minion and Wallet, £50
    Win £2017 in 2017: £1404.79/£2017
    50 Challenges: 37/50
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 3rd Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Welcome back, LadyMorticia. I thought we hadn't seen you for a while.

Sorry to hear that you had mental health issues that made your debt situation worse. I honestly don't think it's a cop out to try to get your debts written off. You obviously have some reputable medical back-up that it has been a contributary cause. If I were you I'd at least give it a try. Easy for anyone to give advice when we don't know you though so apologies for intruding

Going self-managed would certainly give you the flexibility that you need with your payments. There's so much help and advice all over the internet on doing it, especially NEDCAB who most of us have used, and the unfailing wisdom on this DMP support thread. Even I did it and there's no one more scared of their own shadow than me

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Aug: £4112.05 Sept: £119.86
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 3rd Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Please can I ask some advice from you folks on a question that isn't altogether DMP, although a successful outcome would speed my ability to offer F&Fs and get debt free sooner.

I want to request all my data from one of the big banks where I had both current accounts and their own credit card. Do you know if a SAR request will result in everything they hold on me, both bank accounts and credit card? I don't want to spend more than one £10 for the info if it isn't necessary. I ask because the addresses for bank and card departments are different, I haven't a clue who to send it to

. Getting there
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 3rd Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 8,391 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I want to request all my data from one of the big banks where I had both current accounts and their own credit card. Do you know if a SAR request will result in everything they hold on me, both bank accounts and credit card? I don't want to spend more than one £10 for the info if it isn't necessary. I ask because the addresses for bank and card departments are different, I haven't a clue who to send it to
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Yes it should do. There may be a third address that deals with information requests. Which bank?
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 3rd Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Yes it should do. There may be a third address that deals with information requests. Which bank?
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Thanks. It was Lloyds but I also might do it for Santander. I've already contacted Santander about charges but I'd really like to see everything both of them hold on me as, being on a DMP, I have no access to online accounts and have no paper statements or anything to check. I had bank accounts and credit cards with both although some of my Santander stuff was originally issued and run by Alliance & Leicester.

I do have an address for the SAR department at Lloyds that I used to get details of my old paid-up loans for PPI claims ages ago but I'm not sure if this was just the loans department. I only asked for info on loans in that SAR request though and consequently that's all they sent me. Financial institutions manage to make contacting them so difficult. No wonder people give up and don't bother persisting.

. Getting there
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 3rd Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Carboot,

Just address your SAR to the "Compliance officer or Dept".

They will be responsible for information requests.

That way it will get to the right place.

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 3rd Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thanks, sourcrates. Will do.

. Getting there
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 4th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Probably a dumb question that everyone but me knows the answer to.

Since posting off my SAR request I've seen several people giving the advice that a SAR request shouldn't be signed, just our name typed/printed at the end of the letter. Why is this please? I'm afraid I've gone and signed mine

. Getting there
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Probably a dumb question that everyone but me knows the answer to.

Since posting off my SAR request I've seen several people giving the advice that a SAR request shouldn't be signed, just our name typed/printed at the end of the letter. Why is this please? I'm afraid I've gone and signed mine
    Relax carboot,

Makes no difference whatsoever.

I think it stems from people signing CCA request letters, back in the day, unscrupulous debt collectors were known to "cut and paste" signatures on to credit agreements.

As this is no longer a requirement for CCA`s, its duff info basically.

As for its relevance to a SAR request, your guess is as good as mine.

• leanne12345
    • By leanne12345 4th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    leanne12345
    This is now becoming more common place, i queried this with a stepchange adviser last week, they were of the same opinion as you Fatbelly, and i must confess, me as well.

I thought sec 87 was fairly specific :

87 Need for default notice.

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a) to terminate the agreement, or
    (b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or
    (c) to recover possession of any goods or land, or
    (d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as
    terminated, restricted or deferred, or
    (e) to enforce any security.

Now to me, that seems to mean before they can sell the account or take action through the courts, they must (1) issue a default notice, and (2) record a default on your credit file.

FOS seems not to agree.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    With this in mind, does that mean a creditor could take you to court wothout having defaulted the account first? I thought I was fairly safe not paying the ones who hadn't defaulted in order to push for a default, but now I'm not so sure.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 5th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I've been having a think about my final debt balance. It's barely decreasing because I'm only paying token £1 payments to all my creditors for a few months in order to get a healthy F&F fund together. It's depressing me as I was going great guns getting it down before

What I plan to do is deduct from my total the full amount of the outstanding balance on the unenforceable debts. My total will show only what I might have to pay on the others. Even then I hope to get away with less eventually if I can negotiate F&Fs. I know it's massaging the figures but it will give me a boost. My optimism has taken a nose-dive lately. I expect it's perfectly normal to 'hit the wall' after a few years on a DMP. Even if I have to pay a pittance on the unenforceables to get rid of them for good with F&Fs it will only be for about 10% like January managed to do. They can take it or leave it, it's better than the zilch that I'm paying them now. I already have enough saved up to cope with that eventuality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this? I've always been totally accurate and honest with my figures before so it seems a bit weird to me not to keep doing it. Back later when I've totted it all up.

Edit: By that accounting method my enforceable debt balance is £15841. Looks a lot healthier than £21808. Gives me hope that it's attainable. I haven't changed my signature balance though. Wimping out
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 05-09-2017 at 3:00 PM.

. Getting there
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 5th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    StopIt
    I've been having a think about my final debt balance. It's barely decreasing because I'm only paying token £1 payments to all my creditors for a few months in order to get a healthy F&F fund together. It's depressing me as I was going great guns getting it down before

What I plan to do is deduct from my total the full amount of the outstanding balance on the unenforceable debts. My total will show only what I might have to pay on the others. Even then I hope to get away with less eventually if I can negotiate F&Fs. I know it's massaging the figures but it will give me a boost. My optimism has taken a nose-dive lately. I expect it's perfectly normal to 'hit the wall' after a few years on a DMP. Even if I have to pay a pittance on the unenforceables to get rid of them for good with F&Fs it will only be for about 10% like January managed to do. They can take it or leave it, it's better than the zilch that I'm paying them now. I already have enough saved up to cope with that eventuality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this? I've always been totally accurate and honest with my figures before so it seems a bit weird to me not to keep doing it. Back later when I've totted it all up.

Edit: By that accounting method my enforceable debt balance is £15841. Looks a lot healthier than £21808. Gives me hope that it's attainable. I haven't changed my signature balance though. Wimping out

I think it's best to separate them at the very least. The £15841 is what you need to pay, the rest is purely optional depending on if they play ball with tiny F&Fs.

Don't let a number on a spreadsheet get you down though. Get yourself on a sound footing financially, and then get on with the DMP payments once everything has fallen into place.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    With this in mind, does that mean a creditor could take you to court wothout having defaulted the account first? I thought I was fairly safe not paying the ones who hadn't defaulted in order to push for a default, but now I'm not so sure.
    Originally posted by leanne12345
    Under civil procedure rules they have to warn you in writing first if they intend to take court action.

It's called the "pre-action protocol", the two parties have to attempt to either agree payment, or a payment plan before involving the courts.

This is been tightened up further still from October 1st.

So you will get plenty of warning.

• January2015
    • By January2015 5th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    January2015

Definitely go with the lower figure

I go even further than that when looking at my figures I also deduct from the total debt balance the amount I saved for F&Fs. I have that money and I COULD IF I WANTED TO pay it off my debts, but at this time I am choosing to hold on to it to negotiate F&Fs. To me this is the true state of my total debt

Keep your chin up CBC - you are doing great
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • motivated
    • By motivated 5th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi all

CBC I know what you mean about the debt not decreasing due to token payments. Occasionally I've had thoughts about going at it again with all guns blazing. But I sit and think about having a healthy back up fund with money to offer F&Fs if the opportunity ever arises.

Keep at it, your motivation is an inspiration and however you look at the figures that make it easier for you then go with whatever suits you.

On a good note for us the 2 defaults from BC have landed, its official .
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
    Short term goal £510/£1796
    EF/1k
    • leanne12345
    • By leanne12345 5th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    leanne12345
    Under civil procedure rules they have to warn you in writing first if they intend to take court action.

It's called the "pre-action protocol", the two parties have to attempt to either agree payment, or a payment plan before involving the courts.

This is been tightened up further still from October 1st.

So you will get plenty of warning.
    Thanks very much Sourcrates
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 6th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thanks everyone for your advice on my debt balance quandary yesterday. Much appreciated as always

Sorry to clog the thread up yet again with a non-DMP query but I'm sure someone here can help.

I'm trying to reclaim unfair credit card charges (late payment fees, overlimit fees etc) from the 18 months before I went into a DMP when it should have been obvious that I wasn't coping. I see that Martin's template keeps mentioning 6 years of transactions etc and I need a little more than 6 years worth. I appreciate that financial institutions don't have to keep data older than 6 years but I've amended the template to ask for more and will just have to hope for the best.

My question is who do I send the SAR to? All my accounts are administered by DCAs and some have been sold on to others. Does anyone know if I should address them to the original credit card company in the first instance please? Where £10 is involved I need to be sure they hit the target

. Getting there
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks everyone for your advice on my debt balance quandary yesterday. Much appreciated as always

Sorry to clog the thread up yet again with a non-DMP query but I'm sure someone here can help.

I'm trying to reclaim unfair credit card charges (late payment fees, overlimit fees etc) from the 18 months before I went into a DMP when it should have been obvious that I wasn't coping. I see that Martin's template keeps mentioning 6 years of transactions etc and I need a little more than 6 years worth. I appreciate that financial institutions don't have to keep data older than 6 years but I've amended the template to ask for more and will just have to hope for the best.

My question is who do I send the SAR to? All my accounts are administered by DCAs and some have been sold on to others. Does anyone know if I should address them to the original credit card company in the first instance please? Where £10 is involved I need to be sure they hit the target
    You don't nessessarily need to do a SAR.

Just ask for all charges and fees to be refunded between (date) and (date).

That's all you have to do.

Complain to the original creditor that added the charges in the first place.

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 6th Sep 17, 4:31 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 22,822 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    You don't nessessarily need to do a SAR.

Just ask for all charges and fees to be refunded between (date) and (date).

That's all you have to do.

Complain to the original creditor that added the charges in the first place.
    Is it really that easy?. Martin has done quite a lot on this and has provided a template for requesting information on credit card charges etc (with the statutory £10 fee) prior to a reclaim. I was going on the information and advice he'd given.

. Getting there
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,897Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin