Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 11,213Posts
    • 10,877Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 65
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 14th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    StopIt
    Hi all, I keep posting questions so apologies in advance, I'm approaching my first payday without paying my creditors and starting to feel very anxious and nervous about it all, I've sent letters to creditors explaining my situation and confirming l will be paying £1 token payments, I know come the 20th when I get paid and my creditors don't my phone will be inundated, what advice can people give me for handling these calls, do I answer, do I answer creditors who have acknowledged my letter or only answer and speak with creditors who havnt, what should I say? I'm dreading these calls but know they will come so any help is much appreciated
    Originally posted by Leanneglos1

Without seeing the letters you have sent, I can only advise that you should have told all of the creditors that you'll be dealing in writing only.

Reject any calls, and block the numbers. If they want you, they'll write as phone calls are not a method of formal communication. You need everything in writing to avoid mis-communication from both sides.
    • BreakFree14
    • By BreakFree14 14th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BreakFree14
    Hi guys, decided to take the plunge this week after 2 years worth of debts mounting up. Similar to the post above im getting a bit anxious now as the 20th is the day I get paid and normally the day payments get taken from me and I am really not sure how my creditors are going to react.

SC are still in the process of setting my DMP up and to my knowledge havent contacted my creditors yet. When should I start contacting them? and what am I to expect when they dont get their usual payment? What I dont understand is if SC contact them and I contact them telling them of my new payment plan why do they continue to persist with chase letters? I think my biggest fear is if they attempt to contact me in work or something similar has anyone had any past experience of this and how to avoid it?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 11,213 Posts
    • 10,877 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi all, I keep posting questions so apologies in advance, I'm approaching my first payday without paying my creditors and starting to feel very anxious and nervous about it all, I've sent letters to creditors explaining my situation and confirming l will be paying £1 token payments, I know come the 20th when I get paid and my creditors don't my phone will be inundated, what advice can people give me for handling these calls, do I answer, do I answer creditors who have acknowledged my letter or only answer and speak with creditors who havnt, what should I say? I'm dreading these calls but know they will come so any help is much appreciated
    Block numbers, or simply dont answer.

As stop it says, deal only in writing.

Its not an issue unless you make it one.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 11,213 Posts
    • 10,877 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi guys, decided to take the plunge this week after 2 years worth of debts mounting up. Similar to the post above im getting a bit anxious now as the 20th is the day I get paid and normally the day payments get taken from me and I am really not sure how my creditors are going to react.

SC are still in the process of setting my DMP up and to my knowledge havent contacted my creditors yet. When should I start contacting them? and what am I to expect when they dont get their usual payment? What I dont understand is if SC contact them and I contact them telling them of my new payment plan why do they continue to persist with chase letters? I think my biggest fear is if they attempt to contact me in work or something similar has anyone had any past experience of this and how to avoid it?
    Originally posted by BreakFree14
    Hi,

I know this is a long thread, but all the information you could ever want about DMP`s in contained within it, and previous threads.

Take a bit of time and look through them, see how other people have dealt with matters.

In answer to your specific questions, for your part, you can write to each creditor explaining your entering a DMP, ask them to stop interest and charges, to contact you in writing only and remove phone numbers from their systems.

These are large organisations, you will be dealing with only one moving cog, within a very big wheel, so you will get specific letters, about your situation, and also non specific ones, that are computer generated, which wont take your DMP into account.

So when you get a letter, read it, if its a general, why have you not paid letter, recycle bin, if its specific to your situation, take note of it, simple really.

• StopIt
    • By StopIt 14th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    StopIt

Same advice as the previous poster regarding contact, writing only.

You need to write to all of your creditors, stating the following:

1: That you're in financial distress and are setting up a DMP with Stepchange
    2: In order to assist, request that all debt accounts, including charges and interest be frozen, so that a DMP can be successful.
    3: That you will not accept any other form of communication than writing, and Stepchange will be in touch with details of your DMP payment details in due course.

Guidance states that creditors are not allowed to contact your employer to chase debt, so don't worry about that. If you get calls after the DMP is set up, reject them and block the numbers.

Edit: Cross-Post with Sourcrates.
  • StepChange_Linsi
    Hi Meme1962

I hope you don't mind me replying to your post. I just wanted to let you know there's a basic bank account list here on our website. You can use this to help you decide which bank to open a new account with.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your DMP.

Linsi

Hi, new to all this and today I spoke to Step Change and filed for a DMP, I need to set up a basic bank account so looking for some advice on accounts other than Lloyds or HSBC, can anyone help please.
    Originally posted by Meme1962
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • Leanneglos1
    • By Leanneglos1 14th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Leanneglos1
    Yeah my letters stated I want only written communication etc Just makes me nervous my phone constantly going off!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 11,213 Posts
    • 10,877 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Yeah my letters stated I want only written communication etc Just makes me nervous my phone constantly going off!
    Block them on your mobile, you can do the same on the house phone dependent on your provider.

There are various systems and methods to block unwanted calls, some free, some you pay for.

You are in control of who you choose to speak too.

• StopIt
    • By StopIt 14th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    StopIt
    If you have a smartphone, both Android and iOS can block numbers with a push of a button.

Don't be nervous, just get on with things and they'll take the hint when their calls hit a brick wall.
    • BreakFree14
    • By BreakFree14 14th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BreakFree14
    Same advice as the previous poster regarding contact, writing only.

You need to write to all of your creditors, stating the following:

1: That you're in financial distress and are setting up a DMP with Stepchange
    2: In order to assist, request that all debt accounts, including charges and interest be frozen, so that a DMP can be successful.
    3: That you will not accept any other form of communication than writing, and Stepchange will be in touch with details of your DMP payment details in due course.

Guidance states that creditors are not allowed to contact your employer to chase debt, so don't worry about that. If you get calls after the DMP is set up, reject them and block the numbers.

Edit: Cross-Post with Sourcrates.
    Originally posted by StopIt
    Thanks for this, that's the first plunge taken and all creditors now informed!
    • heavenlyharry01
    • By heavenlyharry01 14th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    heavenlyharry01
    Regarding phone calls - I have found that it doesn't really happen.
    Yes the odd one, but it's not like as soon as you stop paying the bombard you, it tends to be more in letter form anyway.
    I too worried so much, but honestly there is no need. If they do call, simply ask for them to remove your number and contact you via post.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 14th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Well -it's official. I am now self-managing our DMP having received confirmation from StepChange that they will be closing our account and wishing us well for the future. Whilst it feels good to be back in complete control of our finances - I have to say I'm feeling a little trepidation at the prospect, but am hoping that will soon pass.

Just waiting to get some sort of acknowledgement from Link that they are handling the CCA requests (PRA have done so) and I need to inform the two other remaining creditors that I will be making payments direct from now on (they'll be finished in a couple of months).

So far so good
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Current Status: 6 Creditors / £11,994
    DFD: Aiming for end of 2018
    Self-managed Aug17: CCAs pending
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 14th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    StopIt
    Well -it's official. I am now self-managing our DMP having received confirmation from StepChange that they will be closing our account and wishing us well for the future. Whilst it feels good to be back in complete control of our finances - I have to say I'm feeling a little trepidation at the prospect, but am hoping that will soon pass.

Just waiting to get some sort of acknowledgement from Link that they are handling the CCA requests (PRA have done so) and I need to inform the two other remaining creditors that I will be making payments direct from now on (they'll be finished in a couple of months).

So far so good
    Originally posted by Suseka97
    Good luck!

In reality, CCA request results aside, you'll likely find very little difference between Stepchange and Self managed.

After all, they still get their money in the same way. Creditors see very little difference between the two, but for you, it gives you back control of your finances.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 11,213 Posts
    • 10,877 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Regarding phone calls - I have found that it doesn't really happen.
    Yes the odd one, but it's not like as soon as you stop paying the bombard you, it tends to be more in letter form anyway.
    I too worried so much, but honestly there is no need. If they do call, simply ask for them to remove your number and contact you via post.
    Originally posted by heavenlyharry01
    In a way, all you guys are quite lucky, creditors/DCA`s treat people who are in arrears a LOT differently nowadays, than say ten years ago.

When i was in your shoes, calls were persistent, every hour, virtually, of every day except sundays (they must of been at church lol) letters i could paper the walls with, it was never ending.

Luckily since then, the FSA has cracked down on the industry, as a lot of companies were simply flouting the good debt collection practice rules, and just saying and doing what they pleased, thankfully those days have been consigned to the history books, and the way you are treated now could not be more different.

So there really is no need to worry about been in debt , whatever your repayment proposals are, they will be accepted these days without much questioning, affordability and treating customers fairly are top agendas now, otherwise they face more regulation, and big fines from the FSA.

You've never had it so good !!

• BreakFree14
    • By BreakFree14 14th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BreakFree14
    Must admit that I am very surprised and relieved to how my creditors have taken my situation. As above I mentioned I was anxious to inform them but so far they have all responded rather 'nicely' definitely made the experience of having to do this a lot easier than expected.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,213 Posts
    • 10,877 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Must admit that I am very surprised and relieved to how my creditors have taken my situation. As above I mentioned I was anxious to inform them but so far they have all responded rather 'nicely' definitely made the experience of having to do this a lot easier than expected.
    Although the situation is far from perfect, things are a lot better these days, i still think a six month grace period before further collection activity commences should become mandatory, as per what Martin is campaigning for.

Overall though, as you have found out, creditors have rules to follow as well.

• torheb
    • By torheb 15th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    torheb
    I haven't had any phone calls and am in month 2 - I expected constant calls and imagined people turning up on the doorstep- with how quick the stepchange DMP was set up I didn't have chance to contact creditors and they said that's no problem I haven't written to anyone yet - plan to to request interest freezing. Have default letters coming in now which freaked me out at first but I spoke to step change and this forum and now know this is normal! It's been relatively pain free so far!
    • vaper
    • By vaper 15th Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    vaper
    I've just logged in to my barclaycard account ( first time for weeks as I didn't dare to log on) anyway it says

Failure to make the payment requested could result in the issue of a default notice under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act 1974 and /or a reduction in your credit limit.

So is this telling me I am about to be defaulted? It seems pretty quick as I have only missed two months payments and I thought barclaycard were one of the bad guys at issuing defaults.
    Mind you, it also says if I pay £944 immediately followed by £288 by 17th July we may be able to be friends again ( I'll just give the money tree a quick shake) lol
    Anyone know?
    Thanks
    V
    Last edited by vaper; 15-07-2017 at 8:22 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    • vaper
    • By vaper 15th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    vaper
    I haven't had any phone calls and am in month 2 - I expected constant calls and imagined people turning up on the doorstep- with how quick the stepchange DMP was set up I didn't have chance to contact creditors and they said that's no problem I haven't written to anyone yet - plan to to request interest freezing. Have default letters coming in now which freaked me out at first but I spoke to step change and this forum and now know this is normal! It's been relatively pain free so far!
    Originally posted by torheb
    Lucky you. I have had constant phone calls, texts and letters (all ignored by me) even though in the letter I sent to everyone I asked to be contacted in writing only. There doesn't seem to be any particular way that any of the CC company's work as everyone on here has a different experience with each one of them.
    Anyway I shall keep on playing the ignorant game just as they appear to be doing
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 15th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Suseka97
    On the subject of 'calls' from creditors - I'd just like to add that my experience matches those of others who have already posted. Yes, one or two were a little more persistent and called my hubby's mobile on a fairly frequent basis (Capital One springs to mind on that) - but after a while he just blocked them (as you can) and they had to resort to letters. In the first 6 months I seem to recall we received various letters, default notices and the like quite frequently - but now we tend only to receive letters once a year around the time of the annual review, if that.

Many of the letters sent are simply automated by creditors when late, or no, payment triggers something in their system. So for all the newbies - just see it as part of the process and file the letters away. You only need to take more notice if, for example, a letter includes something specific in relation to your situation or a response to something you've sent. If it's simply - you owe us, pay now or further action will follow...blah...blah - just file (or bin it).
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Current Status: 6 Creditors / £11,994
    DFD: Aiming for end of 2018
    Self-managed Aug17: CCAs pending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin