Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12,472Posts
    • 11,865Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 45
    • Twins
    • By Twins 9th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Twins
    Hi Sourcrates

Please can you help me. I posted previously that Arrow Global had not added a default to my file. I wanted them to add the default back to 2011 when I started my DMP which would mean it would drop off this year. But instead they've only added a AP marker.
    So I wrote to them to complain and today received a letter. This was their response:

We can confirm Arrow Global acquired this Santandar account on the 17th May 2013 as a non-defaulted account.

The account had a minimum contractual payment of £13.18 due every month. As you adhered to this contract, the payments will show as up to date on your credit file.

This account is now closed on our system as partially settled as of 2nd June. The account will remain on your credit file for six years from date of satisfaction.

What can I do about this default date? Do I have a leg to stand on? How can I get a default date added?

Thanks for the help
    LBM April 2011 Debt £30,800 now in DMP land
    Self Managing my DMP May 2017

Slowly chipping away at my debts: April 17 £17,388 June 17 £11,268.06
    Debt free date: Jan 2023 Dec 2022. April 2019 I will be free
    £2 Savers club #39
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 9th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 16,245 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hi Sourcrates

Please can you help me. I posted previously that Arrow Global had not added a default to my file. I wanted them to add the default back to 2011 when I started my DMP which would mean it would drop off this year. But instead they've only added a AP marker.
    So I wrote to them to complain and today received a letter. This was their response:

We can confirm Arrow Global acquired this Santandar account on the 17th May 2013 as a non-defaulted account.

The account had a minimum contractual payment of £13.18 due every month. As you adhered to this contract, the payments will show as up to date on your credit file.

This account is now closed on our system as partially settled as of 2nd June. The account will remain on your credit file for six years from date of satisfaction.

What can I do about this default date? Do I have a leg to stand on? How can I get a default date added?

Thanks for the help
    Originally posted by Twins
    Hi Twins,

I have the very same issue apart from the debt is still outstanding with one of my creditors. I have complained to them, complained to the FOS who agreed with the DCA and now to the ICO.. I have funnily enough had a letter this morning from the DCA who bought the debt stating they stand by their previous response and won't default and won't enter into any further communication with me about this but will assist the ICO... Still waiting to hear from the ICO.. but not holding my breath..

Puzz
    Christmas 2017 £550 cash/£109 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC 41% paid £4k UE
    Going Self Managed March 2016
    Pot Of Gold - £460.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • motivated
    • By motivated 9th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi all its me again

Have received a letter from BC stating they enclose a reconstituted copy of my credit agreement. "Your credit limit is £xxx and your balance is £xxx"

"We are currently unable to provide a copy of the credit agreement you entered into so we accept that we are prevented from enforcing our agreement. Etc etc"
    I'm assuming this is good news.

Anyway what do I do with it now ?

Also my DHs BC sent back a reconstituted copy of your credit agreement
    A copy of the terms of your agreement as varied accordance with section 82 (1) will be sent under separate cover. I still haven't received anything wondering why this wasn't sent along with the first letter. Confused again

Help please
    M
    I have arrived in DMP land and I like it, I may stay a while
    Short term goal £760/£1796

0/98 payments
    SPC # 91
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 12,472 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    sourcrates

"We are currently unable to provide a copy of the credit agreement you entered into so we accept that we are prevented from enforcing our agreement. Etc etc"
    I'm assuming this is good news.

Anyway what do I do with it now ?
    Originally posted by motivated
    Your account is unenforceable in court.

Its up to you now weather you continue to pay it, or walk away.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 12,472 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi Sourcrates

Thanks for the help
    Well if the account never defaulted, i dont see what you can do.

You have made the contracted payments, so there was no reason to default you.

You could write back and complain its left you in a worse position than if the account had defaulted, but i dont know how far you would get with that, but its probebley your only option.

• motivated
    • By motivated 9th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    motivated
    Your account is unenforceable in court.

Its up to you now weather you continue to pay it, or walk away.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thanks again Sourcrates. Do you think I should wait and are they likely to sell it on now. My thinking is to then offer a low amount to the new company and then close the account as partially settled .

As for the second BC I Am going to send a follow up letter telling them they haven't sent the further documents they said they would. ( you never know)
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 09-06-2017 at 6:01 PM.

0/98 payments
    SPC # 91
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 12,472 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks again Sourcrates. Do you think I should wait and are they likely to sell it on now. My thinking is to then offer a low amount to the new company and then close the account as partially settled .
    M
    Originally posted by motivated
    How do you want to deal with it ?

If you want to walk away, write back stating as they have admitted they dont hold a valid credit agreement, you will not be paying any further sums to this account.

My opinion is you wont hear from them again, its possible they may sell it on, the new owner will not be aware of events prior to the sale, you will have to inform them, the usual response would be for them to return the account to the original creditor, they wont waste time flogging a dead horse, so you may not get the chance to make a low offer.

Personally i would thank my good fortune, go with my advice above, and concentrate on the debts that are enforceable.

• motivated
    • By motivated 9th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    motivated
    How do you want to deal with it ?

If you want to walk away, write back stating as they have admitted they dont hold a valid credit agreement, you will not be paying any further sums to this account.

My opinion is you wont hear from them again, its possible they may sell it on, the new owner will not be aware of events prior to the sale, you will have to inform them, the usual response would be for them to return the account to the original creditor, they wont waste time flogging a dead horse, so you may not get the chance to make a low offer.

Personally i would thank my good fortune, go with my advice above, and concentrate on the debts that are enforceable.
    I will definitely be thinking about your advice Sourcrates. Everything you have told me to do so far has been spot on.

This self managing is quite enjoyable if I'm honest. I never thought I would be doing this 5 months ago. I was a wreck and now I'm
    M

0/98 payments
    SPC # 91
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 12,472 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Creditors, debt collectors, despite what they might say in public, will not spend much time chasing an unenforceable debt, once you have told them your not paying.

There is no benefit to them to waste further money or time on it.

They will just move on to the next person, and so on.

• Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 10th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 10,485 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Hi all

Finally given myself a day at home to catch up with stuff, been having some good times lately and pushing myself to do more but it's been at the expense of tracking debt (and housework).

Anyway so I took a look today as on of the CC annual statements arrived and I'm in the 50% paid section. Ok so I'm not at 49% yet, that may be end of June or possibly July, but wow, half of that blinking debt paid. Never thought I'd manage that.
    Current estimate are 3 years to mortgage free, 6 years to secured loan free, 8 years to DFD. Though SL and DFD should shortened when the mortgage is gone.

. Happy dance

Hope it's working out for others, sorry I'm not about much at the moment, but I do try to at least read the daily digest. And my current pearl of wisdom, is never give up

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • Twins
    • By Twins 10th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Twins
    Confused by PRA Actions
    Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help shed some light on PRA.

As some of you know I have 2 accounts with PRA and I requested CCA's for them both and PRA came back and said they were unenforceable. At the same time I complained that they had not recorded the correct default date of August 2011 which is when I took out my DMP, instead they had been marking it as AP. PRA wrote back and said they agreed with me and they would update my credit file.

Today I had notification that there was an update on my credit file from Clearscore. I checked and it said there was a negative mark. Then it said - PRA group applied default and also PRA Group closed both accounts??

So what does this mean? Are PRA Group saying I no longer owe that money and have closed the accounts for good? Will my credit score improve again once we hit August which will be the 6 year marker and I'm told debs drop off after first default.

Noodle at the moment doesn't show any changes.

Would love your thoughts. Thank you!

£2 Savers club #39
    • Keezing
    • By Keezing 10th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Keezing
    Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help shed some light on PRA.

As some of you know I have 2 accounts with PRA and I requested CCA's for them both and PRA came back and said they were unenforceable. At the same time I complained that they had not recorded the correct default date of August 2011 which is when I took out my DMP, instead they had been marking it as AP. PRA wrote back and said they agreed with me and they would update my credit file.

Today I had notification that there was an update on my credit file from Clearscore. I checked and it said there was a negative mark. Then it said - PRA group applied default and also PRA Group closed both accounts??

So what does this mean? Are PRA Group saying I no longer owe that money and have closed the accounts for good? Will my credit score improve again once we hit August which will be the 6 year marker and I'm told debs drop off after first default.

Noodle at the moment doesn't show any changes.

Would love your thoughts. Thank you!
    When an account is defaulted it is also technically "closed".

It doesn't mean the balance has been settled or is no longer owed.
    • Twins
    • By Twins 11th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Twins
    When an account is defaulted it is also technically "closed".

It doesn't mean the balance has been settled or is no longer owed.
    Originally posted by Keezing
    Thanks Keezing. I'm still confused thought as the accounts have moved to the 'Closed' section. I have other accounts that have Defaulted and are not closed. So I'm still confused.

Sourcrates - what do you think?

£2 Savers club #39
    • Wishihadknown
    • By Wishihadknown 11th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Wishihadknown
    First time post
    Hello all,

First time poster, long time DMPer and lurker on this forum.

Started a DMP in 2014 with fee charging company and started making payments straight away with no emergency fund built up.

Provider pulled out of the market last summer and once I had got over the old feelings of fear and shame I took control and went self managed.

So far so good. No payments missed and generally I have managed to live not just exist.

Debt free in 3.5 years (2.5 years in to 6 year plan).

I have just this week updated my I&E statement and despite an increase in income I have determined I need to reduce payments due to increased outgoings including a new addition to the family.

I have written to my creditors with updated statement and updated, lower, offers of payment.

No idea what their response will be.

Anyway got in the car this morning and it wouldn't start. Waiting for the AA as we speak and hoping that it's nothing serious but now panicked that I might have to write to creditors to advise I'm stopping payments for a couple of months to pay for car repairs just days after I wrote to them to offer lower payments. It really won't look good.

And it was all going so well!
    • Wishihadknown
    • By Wishihadknown 11th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Wishihadknown
    Forgot to mention...
    £15k cleared and around £20k still to go!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 12,472 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks Keezing. I'm still confused thought as the accounts have moved to the 'Closed' section. I have other accounts that have Defaulted and are not closed. So I'm still confused.

Sourcrates - what do you think?
    Hi,

When creditors cant produce valid credit agreements, and they admit the debts are unenforceable, they sometimes take a commercial decision that its not worth chasing these accounts anymore, as the likelihood of obtaining any further payment is practically zero.

It appears to be whats happened in your case, they have given up, closed the accounts, and put it down to experience, which is exactly what you should now do also.

• Twins
    • By Twins 11th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Twins
    Hi,

When creditors cant produce valid credit agreements, and they admit the debts are unenforceable, they sometimes take a commercial decision that its not worth chasing these accounts anymore, as the likelihood of obtaining any further payment is practically zero.

It appears to be whats happened in your case, they have given up, closed the accounts, and put it down to experience, which is exactly what you should now do also.
    Whoop! Thank you Sourcrates! One of those were my biggest two debts. That's £5,145,10 closed! Don't mind me whilst I do a happy dance over here

Thanks for all your help again!

£2 Savers club #39
    • Keezing
    • By Keezing 11th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Keezing
    ClearScore moves all defaulted accounts to the closed tab.

Are you sure you have defaulted accounts on the open tab? That would be very unusual.
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 12th Jun 17, 12:48 AM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 10,485 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Hello all,

First time poster, long time DMPer and lurker on this forum.

Started a DMP in 2014 with fee charging company and started making payments straight away with no emergency fund built up.

Provider pulled out of the market last summer and once I had got over the old feelings of fear and shame I took control and went self managed.

So far so good. No payments missed and generally I have managed to live not just exist.

Debt free in 3.5 years (2.5 years in to 6 year plan).

I have just this week updated my I&E statement and despite an increase in income I have determined I need to reduce payments due to increased outgoings including a new addition to the family.

I have written to my creditors with updated statement and updated, lower, offers of payment.

No idea what their response will be.

Anyway got in the car this morning and it wouldn't start. Waiting for the AA as we speak and hoping that it's nothing serious but now panicked that I might have to write to creditors to advise I'm stopping payments for a couple of months to pay for car repairs just days after I wrote to them to offer lower payments. It really won't look good.

And it was all going so well!
    Originally posted by Wishihadknown
    Hi wish, welcome to the thread. I wouldn't worry, the reason you've had to lower payments is because you can't save enough for emergencies such as car repairs. Hopefully it was a quick cheap fix, but if not, just work out what you need to not pay and tell them that's what's happening. What's the worse they could do?

Congrats on new addition btw

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • leanne12345
    • By leanne12345 12th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    leanne12345
    ClearScore moves all defaulted accounts to the closed tab.

Are you sure you have defaulted accounts on the open tab? That would be very unusual.
    Originally posted by Keezing
    I also have defaulted accounts on the open tab, although this is on Noddle not Clearscore so not sure if that makes a difference? (They are not showing on Clearscore at all as everything has disappeared from my Clearscore report including my bank account and mortgage)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,374Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin