Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 10,913Posts
    • 10,575Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 16
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 18th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Hi all

Just spent a whole hour on the phone to Halifax. I had the strength to speak to them directly and challenge the £500 + interest they added on my account.
    Lots of going backwards and forwards, the lady saying they hadn't received payment by the 7th April and the payment plan has had to be reset starting in May

I quickly reminded them that I have letters dated the 12th April thanking me for my payments in line with the payment plan etc. I then said I would like to escalate this to a manager (get me)

I reminded them about my situation and how they were making things worse and so on.

An hour later and All interest refunded and payment plan still up and running with the assurance that ALL interest and charges stopped from now on

3 months ago I wouldn't have even had the balls to answer the phone to them let alone actually ringing them myself and challenging them.

Thankyou to all who have given me the strength to do things like this. I actually feel quite proud of myself
    M
    Originally posted by motivated
    Well done Motivated for getting such a great result, so you should be proud as it can be so daunting talking to them 😊
    • motivated
    • By motivated 18th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    motivated
    Well done Motivated for getting such a great result, so you should be proud as it can be so daunting talking to them 😊
    Originally posted by Daydreambeliever
    Thankyou

I didn't give it a second thought to be honest. 3 months ago I would have been like Now I know I can do it lol
    M
    I have arrived in DMP Land and I like it. I may stay a while
    Started April 2017

Short term goal 280/1723.27
    • January2015
    • By January2015 18th Apr 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    January2015
    Hi all

Just spent a whole hour on the phone to Halifax. I had the strength to speak to them directly and challenge the £500 + interest they added on my account.
    Lots of going backwards and forwards, the lady saying they hadn't received payment by the 7th April and the payment plan has had to be reset starting in May

I quickly reminded them that I have letters dated the 12th April thanking me for my payments in line with the payment plan etc. I then said I would like to escalate this to a manager (get me)

I reminded them about my situation and how they were making things worse and so on.

An hour later and All interest refunded and payment plan still up and running with the assurance that ALL interest and charges stopped from now on

3 months ago I wouldn't have even had the balls to answer the phone to them let alone actually ringing them myself and challenging them.

Thankyou to all who have given me the strength to do things like this. I actually feel quite proud of myself
    M
    Way to go you

I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face Just a couple of months ago you were worrying about how to pay Halifax - let alone being strong enough to phone and challenge them and get interest refunded. What an amazing turnaround.

You are right to feel proud of yourself. We all feel proud of you as well
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • motivated
    • By motivated 18th Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    motivated
    Way to go you

I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face Just a couple of months ago you were worrying about how to pay Halifax - let alone being strong enough to phone and challenge them and get interest refunded. What an amazing turnaround.

You are right to feel proud of yourself. We all feel proud of you as well
    Originally posted by January2015
    Thankyou January2015 I'm sat here thinking where I would be and what I would be doing if I hadn't asked for help and advice on here. January you gave me the courage to do all of this. I remember you saying it's the best thing you did going down the DMP route and how there was nothing to worry about. I certainly agree

The way you are tackling your debts is absolutely brilliant and you are always on hand to give honest advice. Whenever I have any issues I think never fear January2015 is here
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 22-04-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    Started April 2017

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Apr 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 20,510 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thankyou January2015 I'm sat here thinking where I would be and what I would be doing if I hadn't asked for help and advise on here. January you gave me the courage to do all of this. I remember you saying it's the best thing you did going down the DMP route and how there was nothing to worry about. I certainly agree

The way you are tackling your debts is absolutely brilliant and you are always on hand to give honest advice. Whenever I have any issues I think never fear January2015 is here
    M
    I second that, motivated

January never fails to help and inspire us.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-May: £1620.98. June: £173.25
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1200.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £32316. Balance: £24488
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 10,913 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I think your all doing well, some of you needed a little push in the right direction, but once you start these things, you soon learn the ropes.

Congratulations to all of you !!!
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• motivated
    • By motivated 18th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    motivated
    I think your all doing well, some of you needed a little push in the right direction, but once you start these things, you soon learn the ropes.

Congratulations to all of you !!!
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thanks Sourcrates

I certainly needed a shove in the right direction and I'm so glad you lot gave it to me
    M
    Started April 2017

• dacdesigns
    • By dacdesigns 19th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    dacdesigns
    Add up all of your individual debt, the BNPL offers you have, should tell you the full price inc interest in "your account", if not ring and find out, you can use your credit file too.

It's handy to have a copy from each CRA so all your debts are covered.

What I'm trying to tell you is that as long as the figure you put down covers the entire debt inc all interest, then that's all you need to do, it does not have to be down to the exact penny, for example, you owe very £500, but you've chosen BNPL, the interest for the full period would total £400, so your debt to them would be £900, that's the figure you put down.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Hi again,

So my partner contacted Argos to ask for a full up to date figures on what she owes with deferred interest added and that she is applying for a DRO and SC are looking after her. They said they cant give it until they have had official notifaction from SC surely they cant do this? Shall I just add it up myself now then?

Cheers
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Apr 17, 11:29 AM
    • 10,913 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi again,

So my partner contacted Argos to ask for a full up to date figures on what she owes with deferred interest added and that she is applying for a DRO and SC are looking after her. They said they cant give it until they have had official notifaction from SC surely they cant do this? Shall I just add it up myself now then?

Cheers
    Originally posted by dacdesigns
    Hi,

Like i said before, the only reason they need to know your balance is to make sure that when all your debts are added up, they do not exceed the 20k threshold, thats the only reason.

A ballpark figure will suffice, as long as that figure is enough to cover the entire debt you owe to them.

Any interest or charges that get added after the DRO is granted are written off after the moratorium period just like the original debts.

So if the interest has not yet been added, it wont matter, but include an amount for it anyway.

• make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 21st Apr 17, 1:59 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    make_the_change
    All my accounts have finally been dafaulted including B-Card. However, B-Card agreed to backdate the default after I made a complaint and havent done so. Can I challenge this?
    DMP Started June 2016
    • determinedtobedebtfree
    • By determinedtobedebtfree 21st Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    determinedtobedebtfree
    Hi

Very has sold my debt to NCO, but Very sent me a statement advising of the interest which will be added next month. Surely they can't still add interest if another company has the debt now?

Has anyone had any luck in getting Very to stop interest while on a DMP?
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 21st Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Hi

Very has sold my debt to NCO, but Very sent me a statement advising of the interest which will be added next month. Surely they can't still add interest if another company has the debt now?

Originally posted by determinedtobedebtfree

Hello, Very were an absolute nightmare for me, endless complaints to them about charges but they did stop interest eventually only when DMP set up via StepChange. NCO as I understand are their in house collectors so not sure they have sold on your debt so guess that is why interest has continued. Sorry I'm not much help but someone will come along with advice. Take care.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 21st Apr 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    January2015
    Hi

Originally posted by determinedtobedebtfree
    NCO is not technically another company, but is Very's debt collection branch - which is why you are still getting statements from Very.
    Last edited by January2015; 21-04-2017 at 5:11 PM.
    • blisteringblue
    • By blisteringblue 22nd Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    blisteringblue
    Long while since I posted but all a bit quiet in BB DMP Land.

Got the final default notice this morning, and nearly all Preditors have accepted the new payment schedule. So took 5 months of non payment to eventually get there. However the best bit is the new payment schedule allows it all to run off my wage. Mrs BB doesn't need to work, which although she is much healthier and probably could do some hours again there really is no point. LIFE > DMP so 2 fingers to the DMP a nice slow remaining 30K to clear If it takes 5 years it takes 5 years.

Still working on a couple of F&Fs but that is proving a challenge so trying a new tactic which I've not heard back from yet.

Enjoy the Sunshine all

BB
    • January2015
    • By January2015 22nd Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    January2015
    Long while since I posted but all a bit quiet in BB DMP Land.

Got the final default notice this morning, and nearly all Preditors have accepted the new payment schedule. So took 5 months of non payment to eventually get there. However the best bit is the new payment schedule allows it all to run off my wage. Mrs BB doesn't need to work, which although she is much healthier and probably could do some hours again there really is no point. LIFE > DMP so 2 fingers to the DMP a nice slow remaining 30K to clear If it takes 5 years it takes 5 years.

Still working on a couple of F&Fs but that is proving a challenge so trying a new tactic which I've not heard back from yet.

Enjoy the Sunshine all

BB
    Originally posted by blisteringblue
    Lovely to hear from you BB Thanks for the update. You are so right - life (and health) is far more important than worrying about how long or short the DMP will be. Mrs BB is very lucky to have you as such a supportive hubby.

Good luck with the F&Fs. We've had success with 3 of our debts now and have knocked off almost £35k with approx £8k in settlement. Just waiting for the T's to be crossed and the I's to be dotted before updating our debt total but it will take us to under £50k
    • blisteringblue
    • By blisteringblue 22nd Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    blisteringblue
    Good luck with the F&Fs. We've had success with 3 of our debts now and have knocked off almost £35k with approx £8k in settlement. Just waiting for the T's to be crossed and the I's to be dotted before updating our debt total but it will take us to under £50k
    Originally posted by January2015
    Great news, this will be the tactics over the coming years.

I am working on a version of an offer that came from a preditor, but just need it more in my favour.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 22nd Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Recently advised work I want to change to reduced hours -3 daysp/week from 5.

This is being arranged in next few weeks -very happy due to living at home with m.s. Since 2012.

Looking for ways to save on bills etc-reduced t.v. To basic packge today.

Is contacting step change an option to arrange a lower dmp plan for what would have been my last 3 years until late 2019-this was never intended though health is taking prioriy.

Thought I could ask via mse before 'making the call'
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 22nd Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hi Everyone.

Just been catching up on all the amazing progress and successes you have all had. Made me smile, and feel really positive. Thank you for sharing.

My first debt has defaulted and I got the letter from the agent - C*pquest. I am going to write to them with an SOA - but would like your views. At the moment our SOA has costs for 2 households (one we are now living in rent free but with all bills- and our old house which is in the process of going on the market which we still have to pay most things for. Obviously paying for 2 lots of house bills and a mortgage is v expensive!!
    However once we have sold the house we will have a load more cash to throw at our debts.

However - here's my question / conundrum - I want to go after F&F's at some point so don't really want them knowing that our financial situation will improve so dramatically..
    so does it make sense to reduce our income on the SOA and disappear the cost of our old house so it just looks like we earn less?

Or instead of showing both mine and hubby's joint income and joint expenses just show mine - which would mean I won't show paying for any rent - will this raise questions?

Or do I show them warts and all?

Thanks Ramble
    LBM June 2015: £24025.75!
    The big bad three:£22,034 8.8% down 91.2% to go:
    Tax savings: £400/£1800
    'Very little is needed to make a happy life' Marcus Aurelius
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 22nd Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 10,913 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi Everyone.

Just been catching up on all the amazing progress and successes you have all had. Made me smile, and feel really positive. Thank you for sharing.

My first debt has defaulted and I got the letter from the agent - C*pquest. I am going to write to them with an SOA - but would like your views. At the moment our SOA has costs for 2 households (one we are now living in rent free but with all bills- and our old house which is in the process of going on the market which we still have to pay most things for. Obviously paying for 2 lots of house bills and a mortgage is v expensive!!
    However once we have sold the house we will have a load more cash to throw at our debts.

However - here's my question / conundrum - I want to go after F&F's at some point so don't really want them knowing that our financial situation will improve so dramatically..
    so does it make sense to reduce our income on the SOA and disappear the cost of our old house so it just looks like we earn less?

Or instead of showing both mine and hubby's joint income and joint expenses just show mine - which would mean I won't show paying for any rent - will this raise questions?

Or do I show them warts and all?

Thanks Ramble
    Originally posted by ramblehan
    I personally wouldn't show a debt collector my dirty toenail clippings.

They have no right to see any of your personal information, do what's best for you, always.

Only let them see what you want them to see and you won't go wrong.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 22nd Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 10,913 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Recently advised work I want to change to reduced hours -3 daysp/week from 5.

This is being arranged in next few weeks -very happy due to living at home with m.s. Since 2012.

Looking for ways to save on bills etc-reduced t.v. To basic packge today.

Is contacting step change an option to arrange a lower dmp plan for what would have been my last 3 years until late 2019-this was never intended though health is taking prioriy.

Thought I could ask via mse before 'making the call'
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    Hi,

Yes of course, only pay what you can afford, and what your comfortable with.
    Stepchange will reduce your payments at your request, may have to do another budget though.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,491Posts Today

8,508Users online

Martin's Twitter