Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 13,071Posts
    • 12,380Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 127
    • January2015
    • By January2015 10th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    January2015
    hi January

I am the same as you....decided to come back on here after being absent forever.....lol...and try and get things rolling a bit faster now. You have done so well....we have only gone from 57000 to 44000, but getting there slowly.
    I agree the 3 years has gone by very quickly. Not that I want to be wishing my life away....lol, but it is nice to be getting the debts down.
    Good luck x
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    Hello Ploppy

It's lovely to see my DMP twin on the forum I always remember we started our journey at practically the same time.

You have done amazingly well with reducing your balances. Don't put yourself down - think where you would be if you hadn't started that DMP 3 years ago We have only done so well because we were fortunate to be able to cash in a couple of small pensions we had from yonks ago. That enabled us to settle a couple of debts, including one that had an iffy CCA. We've been very 'stuck' in the high £40k's for while and it gets a bit demoralising sometimes that the balance isn't going down. I know we are stuck for good reason (saving for F&Fs) and we will get that number down before the end of 2018

Jan -x-
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • leanne12345
    • By leanne12345 10th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    leanne12345
    Hi all
    I hope someone sees this because Iím a bit worried and the past few things Iíve written I donít think have been seen
    PRA group just phoned me at work!!! ( they were originally my Barclays debt) I said I didnít want to speak on phone but she said she had to confirm details. They have all the same details Barclays had surely I donít know how they have my work number because I donít remember providing it. Thank you
    Originally posted by Rebeccadougherty
    PRA took over my Barclaycard debt shortly before Christmas aswell. When they phoned me I did give them my details to confirm it was me as I had received a letter from them so I was expecting their call. When he said he was phoning about my debt I just said I've received their letter but I'm not willing to discuss anything by phone, I asked them to remove my number and told them I will respond to their letter. The man said that was fine and they haven't called back since. Just be clear that you won't be discussing it on the phone and don't answer any of their questions- ask them to send a letter if thry haven't already done so. Then block their number.
    • kram
    • By kram 10th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    kram
    Hi all
    I hope someone sees this because Iím a bit worried and the past few things Iíve written I donít think have been seen
    PRA group just phoned me at work!!! ( they were originally my Barclays debt) I said I didnít want to speak on phone but she said she had to confirm details. They have all the same details Barclays had surely I donít know how they have my work number because I donít remember providing it. Thank you
    I had a voicemail from PRA today asking me to call them, so I called them & they started wanting to confirm this that & the other so I just told them that I don't give out personal info on the phone & said I wanted all my phone no's to be removed & to only be contacted in writing which they said they would do?
    If I have anymore calls I will just block them.
    • Rebeccadougherty
    • By Rebeccadougherty 10th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Rebeccadougherty
    Thank you to everyone to replied.
    Another question sorry... I’ve seen people have been doing token amounts for over a year. This is with step change? I had to fight to have two reduced payments. How do you get stepchange to agree to this? Thank you!
    • January2015
    • By January2015 10th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    January2015
    Thank you to everyone to replied.
    Another question sorry... Iíve seen people have been doing token amounts for over a year. This is with step change? I had to fight to have two reduced payments. How do you get stepchange to agree to this? Thank you!
    I went self managed to move to longer term token payments. SC are ok if you want a short term reduction in payments to creditors, but anything more than a couple of months and they are not very supportive.
    • braveheart6612
    • By braveheart6612 10th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    braveheart6612
    Iíve read about CCA requests but someone said thereís no point doing one if the debt is post 2007 because itís not valid or something? Is this right? My debts have only just gone to DCA so it doesnít apply to me yet but Iím just thinking down the line if I need to send one but all are 203-2015 opened.
    Originally posted by Anniee88
    You should do it its never to early to do it. If you read this forum companies have a poor record of keeping paperwork ........I would give it a go you have nothing to lose
    • The_Analyst
    • By The_Analyst 10th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    The_Analyst
    Hi all

I've just had a call from PRA Group wanting to discuss my Barclaycard debt with them. They asked for personal information to confirm it was me and I politely told them I don't give out personal information over the phone.

They are updating their system and will write instead.

I agree that PRA seems to have bought a bulk of debt so wonder if they offer good F&F's hmmmm
    Originally posted by Billy12345
    I have found PRA very good to deal with. They are quite passive in terms of agreeing fixed monthly sums, even getting in touch with me to query if I could afford the sum I was paying (I had doubled our monthly payment without telling them). What I have found is that by the time your debt is sold to someone like PRA or IDEM then the interest has been frozen and any F&F settlement is equal to the balance of what you owe
    July 2011 - Total Debts £47,359.19
    July 2013 - Total Debts £36,092.19
    July 2015 - Total Debts £28,068.19

Jan 2018 - Total Debts £10,415.89
    Jan 2019 - Total Debts £0
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Jan 18, 10:59 PM
    • 13,071 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Iíve read about CCA requests but someone said thereís no point doing one if the debt is post 2007 because itís not valid or something? Is this right? My debts have only just gone to DCA so it doesnít apply to me yet but Iím just thinking down the line if I need to send one but all are 203-2015 opened.
    Originally posted by Anniee88
    Donít know where you heard that, but itís complete nonsense.

You would expect a creditor to be able to comply where more recent debts are concerned, but you would be amazed how bad some creditors housekeeping actually is.

You can make a sec 77/79 request at any time, as long as a balance remains on your account, itís primarily used as a means of proving a debtors liability or gaining information about your credit accounts.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• January2015
    • By January2015 11th Jan 18, 12:18 AM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    January2015

You would expect a creditor to be able to comply where more recent debts are concerned, but you would be amazed how bad some creditors housekeeping actually is.

You can make a sec 77/79 request at any time, as long as a balance remains on your account, itís primarily used as a means of proving a debtors liability or gaining information about your credit accounts.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Hi Sourcrates

I sent of a host of CCA requests back in early 2016. For two of them (same creditor) the DCA regularly writes and states they are still waiting for the original creditor to provide the information.

My question is - I've stopped paying them anything for these 2 debts, pending receipt of the CCA stuff. If I stop contacting them altogether does this start the statute barred clock ticking as well?

To be honest I don't think I have contacted them since the CCA request anyway, but it just occurred to me I might be on to another route to get rid of these 2 debts if they can't produce anything.

These debts are from 2012 and 2015. It would be lovely as they are a big chunk of our outstanding balance
    • zenshi
    • By zenshi 11th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    zenshi
    One of my debts is being handled by Moorcroft. All ticking along nicely. This week however, I have had 2/3 messages per day left on my phone asking me to call.
    I had originally stated letter contact only. Iím thinking I may need to call and re-iterate that, maybe itís a new team dealing?!
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    Dec 17......£18,070.....7 creditors left 33% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £23,536
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £45,386
    • Anniee88
    • By Anniee88 11th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Anniee88

Originally posted by sourcrates
    It was on a forum (maybe mse canít remember) somewhere but thatís a great help thanks for clarifying
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 11th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 3,006 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Ok.....question about moving house whilst on a DMP. Has anybody every done that?
    Our mortgage does NOT form part of our DMP and we have never ever missed a payment in the 20 years we have had a mortgage.
    We desperately want to downsize to help save money....cheaper mortgage, council tax and heating bills. Also we are finding it hard to keep up with all the housework, gardening and decorating etc these days. the house is far too big for us now.
    We still have a mortgage of approx. 67,000 and think we could sell for approx 155,000 and looking to move to something around 140000 or less. So we would still need a mortgage...currently our mortgage is due to finish in about 7 years
    So.....what are the chances we could do this? I am imagining that we wouldn't stand a chance of getting a mortgage. Anybody any thoughts on it. ??

Just popping this post up again in case it got lost in the masses...does anyone have any experience of this?
    DMP started March '15 - £57,549 Now approx..£44,651. DFD 2031! Based on current figures, but hope improve on that.
    Emergency fund #231... £17/£1000.
    £2 Challenge #43.... £14. 20p Challenge #104... £1.60
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • January2015
    • By January2015 11th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    January2015
    Just popping this post up again in case it got lost in the masses...does anyone have any experience of this?
    I haven't done this - or even thought about it to be honest. But my thoughts (for what they are worth ) are:
    1. Could you talk to your existing lender about 'porting' your existing mortage?
    2. Talk to your existing lender about a better rate
    3. Have you considered the fees and charges you will have to pay for selling and buying? They will eat up a lot of the £15k you will have from selling at £155k and buying at £140k. Does this make it worth doing?
    4. I believe it is possible to get a mortgage whilst on a DMP and brokers are probably the best people to go through to find one. Be warned though, the interest rates are likely to reflect your poor credit rating. Again, does this make it worth considering the move?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 13,071 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi Sourcrates

I sent of a host of CCA requests back in early 2016. For two of them (same creditor) the DCA regularly writes and states they are still waiting for the original creditor to provide the information.

My question is - I've stopped paying them anything for these 2 debts, pending receipt of the CCA stuff. If I stop contacting them altogether does this start the statute barred clock ticking as well?

To be honest I don't think I have contacted them since the CCA request anyway, but it just occurred to me I might be on to another route to get rid of these 2 debts if they can't produce anything.

These debts are from 2012 and 2015. It would be lovely as they are a big chunk of our outstanding balance
    Originally posted by January2015
    Yes thatís correct.

A CCA does not nessessarily admit liability either, if correctly worded.

So your clock may of started ticking earlier than you think.

• ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 12th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 3,006 Thanks
    ploppy57
    I haven't done this - or even thought about it to be honest. But my thoughts (for what they are worth ) are:
    1. Could you talk to your existing lender about 'porting' your existing mortage?
    2. Talk to your existing lender about a better rate
    3. Have you considered the fees and charges you will have to pay for selling and buying? They will eat up a lot of the £15k you will have from selling at £155k and buying at £140k. Does this make it worth doing?
    4. I believe it is possible to get a mortgage whilst on a DMP and brokers are probably the best people to go through to find one. Be warned though, the interest rates are likely to reflect your poor credit rating. Again, does this make it worth considering the move?

Thanks January. We have a good rate TBH at the moment and I am pretty sure we wouldn't get such a good one, even if we get one at all. It is not really about improving the mortgage rate, more about actually moving as we hate it here and need something smaller. But don't want to move if we end up with a mortgage of the same value. As you say, it will cost a few £££ to actually move, so need to be reducing the mortgage value.

I did a thing on Rightmove, where you put in your area and selling and buying amount and it works out average moving costs for you. It came up with £4700, which is about what I would have thought. But that was with using a traditional estate agent who charges about 1.5%. I know a lot of the online ones now do a set fee which works out quite a bit cheaper.

I might speak to our lender and see what they say. We have been with the same company now for over 20 years and never missed a payment....although on the downside, it is Lloyds (Formerly C&G) and we did have debts with Lloyds although they have now been sold on to DCA's.

Well worst case scenario is we have to wait until the mortgage is paid....approx. 7 years and not move till then. Or as OH keeps telling me...we might inherit some money before then...poor man lives in cloud cuckoo land!
    DMP started March '15 - £57,549 Now approx..£44,651. DFD 2031! Based on current figures, but hope improve on that.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 12th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    January2015
    Thanks January. We have a good rate TBH at the moment and I am pretty sure we wouldn't get such a good one, even if we get one at all. It is not really about improving the mortgage rate, more about actually moving as we hate it here and need something smaller. But don't want to move if we end up with a mortgage of the same value. As you say, it will cost a few £££ to actually move, so need to be reducing the mortgage value.

I did a thing on Rightmove, where you put in your area and selling and buying amount and it works out average moving costs for you. It came up with £4700, which is about what I would have thought. But that was with using a traditional estate agent who charges about 1.5%. I know a lot of the online ones now do a set fee which works out quite a bit cheaper.

I might speak to our lender and see what they say. We have been with the same company now for over 20 years and never missed a payment....although on the downside, it is Lloyds (Formerly C&G) and we did have debts with Lloyds although they have now been sold on to DCA's.

Well worst case scenario is we have to wait until the mortgage is paid....approx. 7 years and not move till then. Or as OH keeps telling me...we might inherit some money before then...poor man lives in cloud cuckoo land!
    In that case I would talk to you mortgage company about 'porting' your mortgage to another property - if they let you do this you should be able to move and keep the same rate
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 12th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 3,006 Thanks
    ploppy57
    In that case I would talk to you mortgage company about 'porting' your mortgage to another property - if they let you do this you should be able to move and keep the same rate

Yes, I might do that, never realised that might be an option. We can save money by getting a smaller house as this one costs a lot to heat and we may even be able to come down a band in council tax.
    • Afreshstart
    • By Afreshstart 12th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Afreshstart
    Hi Hoping it's ok to join in here.
    Been lurking for some time.Had nothing really to add but in the same mess as most here.

Back in November having reached that point you all know to well I decided to start a self managed DMP.I took heart from the regular contributors & used the NEDCAB site for this.

I sent letters with my I&E to all creditors & stated I would pay £5 in Jan/Feb & Mar then make the pro-rata payments from my I&E sheet.

First question I have is at what point does a DMP start?
    After the first letters saying you are in financial trouble or after the first "proper" payments or only if the creditors agree to it.

Second question Nationwide have just sent me 3 letters (received today) the last 2 say "we've issued you a Default Notice" etc etc. The 3rd says "we've referred your account & a Representative will visit you in 28 days"

The last letter has me quite panicked as I thought my offers of payment would stop anyone coming to the house.

What should I do?

I know this is my 1st post but any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 13,071 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi Hoping it's ok to join in here.
    Been lurking for some time.Had nothing really to add but in the same mess as most here.

Back in November having reached that point you all know to well I decided to start a self managed DMP.I took heart from the regular contributors & used the NEDCAB site for this.

I sent letters with my I&E to all creditors & stated I would pay £5 in Jan/Feb & Mar then make the pro-rata payments from my I&E sheet.

First question I have is at what point does a DMP start?
    After the first letters saying you are in financial trouble or after the first "proper" payments or only if the creditors agree to it.

Second question Nationwide have just sent me 3 letters (received today) the last 2 say "we've issued you a Default Notice" etc etc. The 3rd says "we've referred your account & a Representative will visit you in 28 days"

The last letter has me quite panicked as I thought my offers of payment would stop anyone coming to the house.

What should I do?

I know this is my 1st post but any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Afreshstart
    Hi,

Threats of home visits are common DCA tactics, it wonít happen, you have to make an appointment with them, something you wonít be doing I suspect, and this sounds like itís still the original creditor, which makes it even more unlikely.

They will be computer generated letters most likely, just keep paying what you said youíd pay, I doubt anyone will be knocking anytime soon.

• Afreshstart
    • By Afreshstart 12th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Afreshstart
    Hi Sourcrates many thanks for the reassuring comments.Will sleep a little easier tonight.

I was coping with the "we may do this or that" letters but this one threw me as it said "we will visit you".

This is all new territory to me.You are an inspiration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

9,250Users online

Martin's Twitter