Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 13,035Posts
    • 12,343Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 124
    • leanne12345
    • By leanne12345 5th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    leanne12345
    Hi Leanne

My letters just say that PRA now own the debt and I need to contact them to pay off my our outstanding balance as soon as possible

Iíve tried doing things on their site and everything just keeps disappearing again. I will write and send them my I&E and offer of payment etc.

We have 2 Barclaycard debts too that have defaulted I wonder if they will go to PRA aswell. Can I ask how long yours have been defaulted. Our are since March as they backdated the defaults for us
    M
    Originally posted by motivated
    My Barclaycard debt defaulted in July, I wrote to them asking for bank details to set up a standing order as I couldn't access my online account anymore but they never responded. I didn't bother chasing them so no payments have been made to them for about 6 months so maybe that's why it has been sold on. As January said though there seems to be no rhyme or reason with anything to do with Barclaycard so who knows!
    • motivated
    • By motivated 5th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    motivated
    My Barclaycard debt defaulted in July, I wrote to them asking for bank details to set up a standing order as I couldn't access my online account anymore but they never responded. I didn't bother chasing them so no payments have been made to them for about 6 months so maybe that's why it has been sold on. As January said though there seems to be no rhyme or reason with anything to do with Barclaycard so who knows!
    Originally posted by leanne12345
    Who knows how they work. Weíve been paying £1.00 tokens for about 5/6 months now. Both accounts defaulted around October but they backdated them to March.
    M
    LBM £82,590 Jan 17/£79,148 Jan 18
    Short term goal £1021/£1796 / PDBX 18 # 31 - £910.43/£5,000
    52 week challenge VSP # 8 - £80.00
    SPC # 91
    / Save a penny a day 2018 # 02 - £15.00
    • kram
    • By kram 6th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    kram
    I also received the PRA letter saying they have bought the debt from Barclaycard last month, mine defaulted in april. Yesterday I called SC to update them of the change & the advisor said that they were getting PRA Barclaycard enquies on every other call?
    Last edited by kram; 06-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 6th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    motivated
    I also received the PRA letter saying they have bought the debt from Barclaycard last month, mine defaulted in april. Yesterday I called SC to update them of the change & the advisor said that they were getting PRA Barclaycard enquies on every other call?
    Originally posted by kram
    PRA Group have obviously bought a job lot of accounts then it seems. Iíve sent them my letters and offers of payment this morning. See if they accept. I wonder if my 2 BCs will be sold soon too.
    M
    SPC # 91
    • kram
    • By kram 6th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    kram
    Thanks for the tips, I was considering the self manged route & cca's etc but the only thing that is stopping me is that I'm due to renew my mortgage next year & did not want to cause any problems with the renewal. Am I being over cautious about this.

K
    Anyone got thoughts or opinions on this please.

Tia
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Jan 18, 3:09 PM
    • 13,035 Posts
    • 12,343 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Anyone got thoughts or opinions on this please.

Tia
    Renewing your mortgage with an existing lender should not be a problem, as far as i am aware, they do not perform a credit check on customers who renew their mortgage..

Going self managed is entirely, up to you and wont affect anything, likewise sending CCA requests is your right under sec 77/79 CCA 1978, and again, has no bearing on anything else.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• kram
    • By kram 6th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    kram
    Renewing your mortgage with an existing lender should not be a problem, as far as i am aware, they do not perform a credit check on customers who renew their mortgage..

Going self managed is entirely, up to you and wont affect anything, likewise sending CCA requests is your right under sec 77/79 CCA 1978, and again, has no bearing on anything else.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I am going to read through the previous thread & have a good look around the nedcab site do you recommend anything else to look at re going self managed.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 6th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 4,834 Thanks
    January2015

I'll be watching out for letters from PRA/BC if they are bulk selling off to PRA at the moment

Mind you, despite the pain in the rear interest that we had to fight and the pain in the rear dispute over default date - BC did eventually roll over and have been quite decent ever since, especially about token payments - they have never moaned at us once.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 6th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hign10pines
    Anyone had to deal with Natwest? Do they like to add charges to their loans & overdrafts so far all I've had is the monthly interest added to the loan.

Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
    • Littlebigmoose
    • By Littlebigmoose 6th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Littlebigmoose
    Hello again, I want to send letters to all my creditors to tell them my situation has changed and I can’t pay anything for the next 6 months. However I also want to send CCA requests to half of them as well as letters to some to ask them to default me. What order do you recommend I send them? Does it matter if i send all 3 letters at the same time?
    GOAL: To build savings and be debt free
    (i) Emergency fund- £19.50/£1000
    (ii) 1% Challenge 2018- number 23
    (iii) Sealed Pot Challenge11 - number 014
    • Enough17
    • By Enough17 7th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Enough17
    I posted yesterday and not received any replied yet. Just not sure if posting in the right place?

We too have now received letters from PRA re mbna cc debts.

Getting worried I will get a charge on property. Spent yesterday getting numbers together to submit to step change. Just really want reassurance this is best course of action. Had no contact with dca's or made any payments in 10 months. Just want to get it sorted now.
    50k debt - all unsecured
    Mortgage - approx 90k

Can they put charge on property?
    Thanks for reading.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 7th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi Enough

I can’t comment on the property charge as I don’t know anything about that. Hang around and someone with experience will be along to advise you.

I’ve sent my letters of offers with my I&E to PRA regarding our MBNA accounts. Will wait and see what their response will be.
    M
    SPC # 91
    • January2015
    • By January2015 7th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 4,834 Thanks
    January2015
    I posted yesterday and not received any replied yet. Just not sure if posting in the right place?

We too have now received letters from PRA re mbna cc debts.

Getting worried I will get a charge on property. Spent yesterday getting numbers together to submit to step change. Just really want reassurance this is best course of action. Had no contact with dca's or made any payments in 10 months. Just want to get it sorted now.
    50k debt - all unsecured
    Mortgage - approx 90k

Can they put charge on property?
    Thanks for reading.
    Originally posted by Enough17
    Hi

I can't comment on property charges - what I can comment on is that I had £95k unsecured debt, and we have approx £250k equity in our property. We have been slogging away at our debts for 3 years. 2 of those years have been token payments. Not one single creditor has even mentioned securing a charge on our property.

My advice is keep communicating with your creditors and, from my experience, they are fine. I personally have not, and am still not, worrying about any of my unsecured debts being charged against my home.

Start the ball rolling with SC and sit back and don't worry until you find you need to worry. It will likely never happen - seriously.
    Last edited by January2015; 07-01-2018 at 6:16 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake :(
    • January2015
    • By January2015 7th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 4,834 Thanks
    January2015
    Hello again, I want to send letters to all my creditors to tell them my situation has changed and I canít pay anything for the next 6 months. However I also want to send CCA requests to half of them as well as letters to some to ask them to default me. What order do you recommend I send them? Does it matter if i send all 3 letters at the same time?
    Originally posted by Littlebigmoose
    I would put it all in a single letter

Write and advise you cannot afford to pay anything for 6 months, but you are committed to paying off your debts and in order to support you, you formally request the account(s) are defaulted as promptly as possible. Make it clear you realise the impact this will have on your credit reference files, but you also have not taken the decision to enter a DMP lightly. Finally, just put that in order to ensure all your records for the account (s) are up to date you are also making a CCA request (use the correct wording which you can find on this site - sorry, don't have time to locate the link for you right now).

Hope this helps
    • January2015
    • By January2015 7th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 4,834 Thanks
    January2015
    Anyone had to deal with Natwest? Do they like to add charges to their loans & overdrafts so far all I've had is the monthly interest added to the loan.
    Originally posted by hign10pines
    I would write to NW and request all interest charged since they were notified of DMP is refunded. Explain you have not made the decision to enter a DMP lightly and the only way you will be able to clear your debts is if creditors support you. Request the account is defaulted as promptly as possible.

NW refunded all our interest and it was frozen.
    • hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 7th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hign10pines
    I would write to NW and request all interest charged since they were notified of DMP is refunded. Explain you have not made the decision to enter a DMP lightly and the only way you will be able to clear your debts is if creditors support you. Request the account is defaulted as promptly as possible.

NW refunded all our interest and it was frozen.
    Originally posted by January2015
    Thank you I have just made my first DMP payment (5th Jan) and made a token payment to my Natwest loan of £5 in December.

They are refusing to deal with payplan as they claim some details are wrong (they aren't) so I have made a complaint to them online and have a letter to post tomorrow.

• hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 7th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hign10pines
    I have a quickquid debt defaulted May 2012 about to fall off this year. I have just received the 'sold' email/letter from qq and 'notice of assignment' email/letter from motormile.

This debt has been in dispute due to balance amount and refusing payment plan for what I want to pay since 2015. It was originally sent to ARC. Should I send the prove it letter as well as cca request?

Once it drops of my file what happens then?
    Last edited by hign10pines; 07-01-2018 at 5:38 PM.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 13,035 Posts
    • 12,343 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I have a quickquid debt defaulted May 2012 about to fall off this year. I have just received the 'sold' email/letter from qq and 'notice of assignment' email/letter from motormile.

This debt as been in dispute due to balance amount and refusing payment plan for what I want to pay since 2015. It was originally sent to ARC. Should I send the prove it letter as well as cca request?

Once it drops of my file what happens then?
    Originally posted by hign10pines
    CCA request admits the debt is yours, provit letter does not.

Nothing happens when it drops off your file, you are still liable, it wonít become statute barred, until at least 6 years of non payment have elapsed.

If you have a dispute, you should make a written complaint to the original lender, they then have 8 weeks in which to send you a final response, if you remain unhappy, you then take it to the financial ombudsman and allow them to come to a conclusion.

Thatís the correct procedure and the only one a lender/creditor will recognise, itís not enough to just say itís in dispute, you must follow correct procedure, failure to do so will result in your dispute going unheard.

• hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 7th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hign10pines
    CCA request admits the debt is yours, provit letter does not.

Nothing happens when it drops off your file, you are still liable, it won’t become statute barred, until at least 6 years of non payment have elapsed.

If you have a dispute, you should make a written complaint to the original lender, they then have 8 weeks in which to send you a final response, if you remain unhappy, you then take it to the financial ombudsman and allow them to come to a conclusion.

That’s the correct procedure and the only one a lender/creditor will recognise, it’s not enough to just say it’s in dispute, you must follow correct procedure, failure to do so will result in your dispute going unheard.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thank you so I should ignore Motormile for now even though they have bought the debt and complain to QQ?

Once it's fallen off my report can it be re-added?

• hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 7th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hign10pines
    Going to stay in a managed DMP till around April then go self managed paying £1 each for a few months. I'm hoping to do f&f's beginning of 2019. It's a waiting game to see when I'll get defaults. Should these be started to the start of the DMP?

Should I write to all creditors (4) now asked to default my accounts?
    Last edited by hign10pines; 07-01-2018 at 7:03 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter