Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12,700Posts
    • 12,042Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 107
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 9th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Hi
    Started a joint Dmp in June and everything has gone smoothly until I received a letter from Wescot saying they are now managing our natwest debt. They say they have contacted Stepchange and they have not replied so I need to contact them.... Has anyone else had a similar issue.? Will be contacting Stepchange but know the phone lines will be jammed so not sure when I will get through and don't want to leave contacting Wescot to long as don't want debt collectors to turn up. Any advise would be greatly apprechiated.
    Originally posted by Mcfry80
    Just to add to Stopit's advice - please don't worry. You can update your details with Stepchange online. I can't access my former DMP account to double-check, but I recall there was a page that listed all your debts with a drop down option next to each debtor account where you could change the details -or just email them. My former Halifax debt was passed over the Wescot and I never had any problems with them and they certainly won't turn up at your door - they are just trying to make sure your payments are made directly to them and not to NatWest.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 6 Creditors / £11,994
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi
    Started a joint Dmp in June and everything has gone smoothly until I received a letter from Wescot saying they are now managing our natwest debt. They say they have contacted Stepchange and they have not replied so I need to contact them. I am scared to make contact as my mental health has not been good since we started facing our financial situation.
    The letter was only addressed to me and my husband has had no contact from them. Our Dmp is showing Stepchange still paying natwest. Has anyone else had a similar issue.? Will be contacting Stepchange but know the phone lines will be jammed so not sure when I will get through and don't want to leave contacting Wescot to long as don't want debt collectors to turn up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Mcfry80
    As the others have said, Wescot dont buy debts, they dont own any of the accounts they chase, they are if you like, sub contracted to pursue these debts on behalf of the original client.

They are based just down the road from me in Hull, i have seen there obscure little hut they operate from, well not quite a hut, more a call center, a few dozen people sat at desks, talking on the phone, most of their staff are just over school age, some a little later into there career, a lot are woman, certainly not the burly blokes you have in your mind knocking on your door at 6 am.

That does not happen much these days either, some DCA`s still use doorstep collectors, Motor-mile finance for one still do, (Wescot do not), but there use is limited, these people are self employed, so only get paid commission on results, its important to realise they are not bailiffs, they have no power whatsoever, just for your information, you can refuse them entry, call the police to have them removed, if they wont leave, you do not have to speak to them, they are just ordinary folk.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• IWILLgetthere
    • By IWILLgetthere 9th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    IWILLgetthere
    Hello all, off work sick today so been in bed reading previous posts on this thread - all very helpful in making me realise that things do get better, I sent all my letters off last week and am still awaiting replies - can anyone tell me how long it usually takes before you hear back from creditors? I have spent SO long now robbing peter to pay paul and living on vertually no money just so that I can keep up with minimum payments, this will be the first month I have not done that - still feeling nervous about what creditors are going to say though.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hello all, off work sick today so been in bed reading previous posts on this thread - all very helpful in making me realise that things do get better, I sent all my letters off last week and am still awaiting replies - can anyone tell me how long it usually takes before you hear back from creditors? I have spent SO long now robbing peter to pay paul and living on vertually no money just so that I can keep up with minimum payments, this will be the first month I have not done that - still feeling nervous about what creditors are going to say though.
    Originally posted by IWILLgetthere
    Hi,

What do you think they’ll say ?

Absolutely nothing is what they’ll say, cause they don’t care too hoots, they still get paid something no matter what, some will reply, some won’t, don’t let it worry you, just do what you have to do to carry on, everything will fall into line.

I’ve posted this so many times I repeat it in my sleep, it’s all part of the game, well done for admitting you have a problem and dealing with it!!

• IWILLgetthere
    • By IWILLgetthere 10th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    IWILLgetthere
    Hi,

What do you think they’ll say ?

Absolutely nothing is what they’ll say, cause they don’t care too hoots, they still get paid something no matter what, some will reply, some won’t, don’t let it worry you, just do what you have to do to carry on, everything will fall into line.

I’ve posted this so many times I repeat it in my sleep, it’s all part of the game, well done for admitting you have a problem and dealing with it!!
    Originally posted by sourcrates

Thank you Sourcrates and sorry to make you have to repeat yourself! It's just that as I've always somehow made my payments (all be it late and by the skin of my teeth usually) I'm in unknown territory and it's scary
    I had an e-mail from my biggest creditor Likely Loans (Oakbrook finance) who I owe just under £5000 to, it was a bog standard 'your account is not up to date' letter advising me if I have financial difficulties to contact CAB,SC etc - do I need to write to them again or just make my DMP payment at the end of the month?
    Apologies if I'm asking dumb questions !

p.s. What I think they will say is ... we're taking you to court!
    Last edited by IWILLgetthere; 10-10-2017 at 9:22 AM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thank you Sourcrates and sorry to make you have to repeat yourself! It's just that as I've always somehow made my payments (all be it late and by the skin of my teeth usually) I'm in unknown territory and it's scary
    I had an e-mail from my biggest creditor Likely Loans (Oakbrook finance) who I owe just under £5000 to, it was a bog standard 'your account is not up to date' letter advising me if I have financial difficulties to contact CAB,SC etc - do I need to write to them again or just make my DMP payment at the end of the month?
    Apologies if I'm asking dumb questions !

p.s. What I think they will say is ... we're taking you to court!
    Originally posted by IWILLgetthere
    As long as you have a repayment plan for them, court action is futile.

There is no benefit to the creditor as your already paying what your budget says you can pay.

If youíve written to your creditors already it will take time to filter down, you will still receive standard computer generated letters saying your payments are behind, these are triggered automatically and wonít take your DMP into account.

Yea I know what itís like to be in your position, been there got the tee shirt, best advice I can give you is just to get on with it and donít worry about any single part of it, itís really not worth the stress of worry, most of the fear of the unknown will quickly disappear once you realise you are not the only one, and the system is well geared up to deal with your situation.

Just donít jump at every letter you get, as most will be utter rubbish and wonít take your individual circumstances into account.

• IWILLgetthere
    • By IWILLgetthere 10th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    IWILLgetthere
    Thank you so much Sourcrates
    • SpagBol
    • By SpagBol 14th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 10,545 Thanks
    SpagBol
    Hi all, it's good to join and introduce myself here. After putting it off for years we've decided to go for a DMP, we've gone through the application with Stepchange but our income is a bit difficult to prove because I'm self employed and on a zero hours contract in a second job and DH has bonuses and self employed for second income.

After looking at the NEDCAB site we are going to use their process today but I'm not sure whether we should do one each or separately? When they make the letters etc will they all be in my name? It doesn't seem to offer the ability to do it as a couple unless I'm missing something (very likely!).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by SpagBol; 14-10-2017 at 7:51 AM. Reason: making myself clear
    DF by Xmas 2015 #002: £5,203 / £44,000 (31/3/15)
    DF by Xmas 2014 #001: £5,000 / £49,000 10.2% (23/12/14)
    DF by Xmas 2013 #002: £1,495 / £47,000 (31/12/13)
    DF by Xmas 2012 #084: £17,715 / £58,000 30.54% (26/12/12)

Long haul #303 LBM Nov '11 Debt over £58k Dec '14 Debt £45k
    • SpagBol
    • By SpagBol 14th Oct 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 10,545 Thanks
    SpagBol
    Looking at my signature, we did so well in 2012 and after that but then it got so much worse again!

• SpagBol
    • By SpagBol 14th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 10,545 Thanks
    SpagBol
    Ah actually it's just asked for his name so I think it'll be ok. Apologies for gabbling on...

• DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 14th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    Hi all, just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I was paying token payments from October 16 - April 17 of just £1 to each creditor.
    In April I moved to a DMP - most of my creditors just accepted this straight away, but for some reason Halifax kept sending me letters saying they did not accept my payment of £5 per month (their allocation) and I should continue to pay £1.

So IGNORE all the letters they send and just keep paying - they're just automatically generated.

This is the first month they haven't sent me the letter.

Keep going everyone - you're all doing a wonderful job.
    LBM: October 2016: £20,130 / Current: November 2017: £17,545 12.8%
    DFD: February 2024
    SPC#577 (2017: £60.58)
    • motivated
    • By motivated 14th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 3,481 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi all

This morning I’ve received letters about our Halifax loans. They inform us that our loans are now being managed by Westcott on their behalf. The loans as far as I know haven’t been defaulted and I’m not sure if they will add interest and charges now. Hopefully this is a good thing that Wescott are dealing with it. This is all new territory to me and wondered what the process is now.
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 14-10-2017 at 10:06 AM.

LBM £82,590 Jan 17/£79,720 Dec 17
    Short term goal £896/£1796

SPC # 91
    PDBX 18 # £423/£2,000
    52 week challenge £17.84
    • Just Afloat
    • By Just Afloat 14th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Just Afloat
    Motivated, I had a sainsburys loan (managed by Halifax) and another loan directly with Halifax, both these defaulted early into DMP, I think because all the interest was front loaded onto the loan, ie the sainsburys loan was for about 16K but with interest it showed they had loaned me 19K. This means I have, or will, be paying for the loan amount and interest while on my DMP, but the payment term is extended by length of DMP, I hope that makes sense?
    If your loans where front end loaded like mine then I don't think they will add more interest.
    LBM August 2015 70K 9 Creditors
    Current Status 43K 8 Creditors
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi all

This morning Iíve received letters about our Halifax loans. They inform us that our loans are now being managed by Westcott on their behalf. The loans as far as I know havenít been defaulted and Iím not sure if they will add interest and charges now. Hopefully this is a good thing that Wescott are dealing with it. This is all new territory to me and wondered what the process is now.
    M
    Originally posted by motivated
    Motivated,

Halifax are still the organ grinders here, Wescott are just the Monkeys, they just deal with taking your payments as Halifax cant be bothered too.

You need to clarify the debts status with Halifax, if not defaulted, ask them to do so.

• Meerkat1979
    • By Meerkat1979 14th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Meerkat1979
    Hi guys , I am new to this site so any advice welcome

I have been in a debt management plan with SC for almost a year and feeling much more in control. Budgeting is going well and life is better all round.

However , I am looking to move in with my partner in the next few months. I am just wondering how this will affect my DMP.

As initially I had thought it best to keep our finances separate. I have been living alone with my two children since my marriage ended in 2010. So I have been paying my mortgage and bills myself. I wanted to see how we get on with living together etc before we become financially linked.

However , I am not sure where that leaves me in relation to my step change budget .

I have also just been offered a full time job, now I have completed my degree and my youngest son is at high School, so I will be in contact with them as soon as I have a start date to let them know I am now going to be in full time employment rather than part time to let them know my new wage ....and hopefully get my Debt free date nearer.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi guys , I am new to this site so any advice welcome

I have been in a debt management plan with SC for almost a year and feeling much more in control. Budgeting is going well and life is better all round.

However , I am looking to move in with my partner in the next few months. I am just wondering how this will affect my DMP.

As initially I had thought it best to keep our finances separate. I have been living alone with my two children since my marriage ended in 2010. So I have been paying my mortgage and bills myself. I wanted to see how we get on with living together etc before we become financially linked.

However , I am not sure where that leaves me in relation to my step change budget .

I have also just been offered a full time job, now I have completed my degree and my youngest son is at high School, so I will be in contact with them as soon as I have a start date to let them know I am now going to be in full time employment rather than part time to let them know my new wage ....and hopefully get my Debt free date nearer.
    Originally posted by Meerkat1979
    Hi Meerkat,

Your living arrangements are non of your creditors business to be honest, i don't see why, as a DMP is an informal arrangement, that they would need to know.

Obviously if in time, your income increases, due to new job etc, then revisit your budget, and increase payments if you want to.

Most people take the opportunity to save up some cash in order to offer settlement offers further down the line, that's something you maybe want to think about.

• IWILLgetthere
    • By IWILLgetthere 15th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    IWILLgetthere
    Hello, just thought I'd check in to say that it's now 2 weeks since I sent letters to my creditors and I finally have heard back from...wait for it... 1 out of the 6 ! I had a very nice letter from Capital One thanking me for informing them of my situation, confirming that I am now on a long term repayment plan and that my account has been defaulted - yay! ... 1 down, 5 to go
    • tonyace123
    • By tonyace123 15th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonyace123
    Bailiff
    Hi,4 months in on my sc dmp,I am still worried to death about bailiffs coming to my door,a good friend killed themselves because of bailiffs and depts,I make monthly payments on time,what are the chances off them coming to my door as I know that would not help me,all I know these depts are my own doing and I am trying to put things right,can anyone advise if they would come or thanks
    Last edited by tonyace123; 15-10-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi,4 months in on my sc dmp,I am still worried to death about bailiffs coming to my door,a good friend killed themselves because of bailiffs and depts,I make monthly payments on time,what are the chances off them coming to my door as I know that would not help me,all I know these depts are my own doing and I am trying to put things right,can anyone advise if they would come or thanks
    Originally posted by tonyace123
    Hi,

Please do some research on this, there is a long process to follow before a bailiff would be engaged to collect a consumer credit act debt.

Allow me to just outline what would need to happen to get to that scenario

First off you would have to stop paying your debts, then the creditor would need to obtain a county court judgement against you, you would then have to fail to pay that judgement order, at that point a creditor has the option to either, engage the services of a county court bayliff, apply for an attachment of earnings order, if your working, as well as other measures.

But each enforcement action has a fee associated with it, and each stage can be suspended by yourself if you are repaying the debt, or for some other reason.

People post these frantic messages about bayliffs without researching under what instances they can be used, the best way to stop a bayliff is to keep your doors locked, they cannot force entry for these debts.

There is a wealth of information on the internet, but this site is excellent, itís run by two solicitors, so the advice they give is accurate :

https://debtcamel.co.uk/tag/bailiffs/

Please stop worrying about something that will never happen.

• tonyace123
    • By tonyace123 16th Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonyace123
    Thank you for the info,because I am paying as much as I can I am safe from bailiffs such a relief
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

251Posts Today

1,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin