Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smed
    • By Smed 24th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Smed
    First post
    • 24th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    First post 24th Mar 17 at 1:15 PM
    Hello everyone. Been lurking for a while and now signed up to get some ideas. I have a regular savings account with Virgin Money and I invest with Moneybox App General investment Account and fully invested in a Stocks and Shares ISA and a Cash Isa. Still a fair amount of cash to invest.
Page 8
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 20th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 6,499 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    bowlhead99

btw do you have "banker" in your username because it lends authority to your posts and do people actually think you're really a banker? LOL
    Originally posted by Smed
    Funny, I had always assumed that he/she came from Eskbank!
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    Apodemus wins the gold star for comprehension....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    So you are claiming to be a banker then, I don't suppose you have any proof of that.
    It's relatively clear that he isn't claiming to be a banker, but claiming to be someone from Eskbank. Do keep up Tony.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 20th Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 3,355 Thanks
    Malthusian
    You claim that a £1 per month flat fee is unreasonable without considering the total balance. Expressed as a percentage on a balance of £5000 not an unreasonable figure for investments, that's 0.02%.
    That is a very high percentage for a monthly platform fee when it is on top of a 0.45% annual fee.

On the other hand, £1 per month is 0.13p per hour, which on a balance of £5,000 is 0.000026%. 0.000026%! What a terrific deal.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 20th Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    mollycat
    So you are claiming to be a banker then, I don't suppose you have any proof of that.
    I tried the old "pretending to be a banker" gig years ago....just got me abuse and a good few kickings.

Now I pretend I'm an ex-footballer, much better results
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 20th Apr 17, 9:41 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    ratechaser
    Oh lordy, a popcorn thread that I missed.

Anyway, I can speak from many many years of experience (yes, honestly guv) that in banking you do get some esoteric characters. And let's not forget that people that work on IT help desks in banks and would rather talk to their computers than to real people, are often those most likely to describe themselves as 'Bankers'.

Personally, I stopped using that title after about 2008 when we were seen as the spawn of the devil. 'Program Manager' does me fine these days (along with 'semi-retired' )

Anyway, back to the real world. 4 new regular savers and a new ISA set up this week. And all without the help of a financial advisor or an accountant. Well, us bankers ought to have a vague idea of how to do it eh, otherwise how could we expect anyone else to trust us with their money...
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 20th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    ratechaser did you sar that bank from that other thread you made?
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 20th Apr 17, 9:55 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    ratechaser
    ratechaser did you sar that bank from that other thread you made?
    Originally posted by fun4everyone
    Couldn't be bothered in the end, life's too short when you know all you'll get back is a load of flannel about commercial decisions. I'm not into the 'little man railing against the big banks' thing - would be a bit hypocritical given that I've spent most of my life working for them and being paid very handsomely for it!

No, instead I'm just leaving my ISA with Halifax Share Dealing for now so they can continue to carry the admin costs, and I'll move onto Cavendish for my next one. And focusing my efforts on beating up my utility providers for more savings over the next 2 weeks. At least I can actually achieve something there...
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    eskbanker
    So you are claiming to be a banker then
    That's not what I said; you're making it up.

You claim that a £1 per month flat fee is unreasonable without considering the total balance.

Expressed as a percentage on a balance of £5000 not an unreasonable figure for investments, that's 0.02%. Since you think that is very big

You also appear to claim that the fee charged is the be all and end all of investing because the fee is all you are considering.

In fact I said the exact opposite ("If you're clumsily trying to make the point that cheaper isn't necessarily better then I'm sure that's something we can all agree on") and asked you what other factors you feel justify the higher costs, but you failed to answer this....
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 20th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 9,362 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    bigadaj
    A la football chant..

"Is smed Anthorn in disguise"...

Repeat ad nauseam.
    • Smed
    • By Smed 20th Apr 17, 11:42 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Smed
    In fact I said the exact opposite ("If you're clumsily trying to make the point that cheaper isn't necessarily better then I'm sure that's something we can all agree on") and asked you what other factors you feel justify the higher costs, but you failed to answer this....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    There you go yet again referring to "higher cost" without a like for like comparison. Higher cost than what?

An acceptable comparison might be "Bux" which offers a similar service to Moneybox through a mobile app. Bux quotes dealing fees from £0.25p each. Now my Moneybox account typically deals 3 times per week because I add money to it weekly. So if Bux similarly trades 3 times per week and the dealing fee is actually £0.25p each then the 4-weekly fees in Bux total £3.00 compared with Moneybox's calendar monthly flat fee of £1. That makes Moneybox cheaper than Bux. I find it curious though that you think £1 is a great amount of money.

I bet you do a better job working out your dole money.
    Last edited by Smed; 21-04-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 20th Apr 17, 11:46 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    How is this pointless thread not closed?
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 21st Apr 17, 12:03 AM
    • 962 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    TheShape
    A la football chant..

Repeat ad nauseam.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Anthorn's most recent post was 24/03/17 @ 12:51am

Smed's first post 24/03/17 @ 1:15pm

Could be entirely coincidental, just like Superman and Clark Kent never being around at the same time!
    • Smed
    • By Smed 21st Apr 17, 12:09 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Smed
    A la football chant..

Repeat ad nauseam.
    I don't understand the point you are attempting to make. If I am or if I am not so what?

Read this thread. I just posted a short introduction and people asked for more information and then proceeded to attack me using that information as ammunition. Since then I've been on the defence. Now I'm accused of really being someone else. Where do you people come from? Are you all actually paranoid Schizophrenics?

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real.[2] Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation." Look familiar?

Really I am not going to post any more information about myself and put myself at risk of further abuse.
    Last edited by Smed; 21-04-2017 at 12:41 AM.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Apr 17, 1:01 AM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    eskbanker
    There you go yet again referring to "higher cost" without a like for like comparison. Higher cost than what?
    I already linked (at post #126) to a well-known comparison site which lists platform and trading fees for the mainstream players - there are brokers such as Charles Stanley, Cavendish and Close that have no dealing fees and 0.25% annual platform fees, which, I think you'll find, is a cheaper proposition than £1/month plus 0.45%. Cheaper but not necessarily better, hence my repeated question about what you feel you're getting that justifies that extra cost.

I find it curious though that you think £1 is a great amount of money.
    I find it curious that you keep feeling the need to put words in my mouth that I haven't used - please highlight any post where I said that £1 is a great amount of money.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 21st Apr 17, 6:25 AM
    • 9,362 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I don't understand the point you are attempting to make. If I am or if I am not so what?

Read this thread. I just posted a short introduction and people asked for more information and then proceeded to attack me using that information as ammunition. Since then I've been on the defence. Now I'm accused of really being someone else. Where do you people come from? Are you all actually paranoid Schizophrenics?

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real.[2] Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation." Look familiar?

Really I am not going to post any more information about myself and put myself at risk of further abuse.
    Right so the following assumes you are fundamentally not trolling.

You came on this site to have a general chat about finance and investments, but the majority if threads are very specific an involve either general guidance and recommendations about how to improve someone's financial position or very specific details about particular aspects of saving or investment. In either of those cases personal details are needed in a very general case to determine what might be one or more preferred options.

You've taken some low grade humour and sarcasm as being attacked, I can see both sides of that, however you've then gone on to promote a very poor product that you currently use as a recommended investment tool. When corrected about that by some experienced posters you have then become very defensive and refused to see the drawbacks with this niche app.

It may well be that you are moderately wealthy and this is just a bit of a hobby like low level gambling and that's fine. However that isn't going to change your financial position and that is what many people posting threads are really after.

No personal information is specific, for example we don't really know what you do work wise though it can help. But to provide any useful guidance than a list of info is needed, this might include approximate age, investment objectives by which I mean retirement at a particular age, increasing income, maintaining capital, house purchase etc, and an idea of approximate income and expenditure and timeframe. With that info then people can suggest how you might approach investments, the moneybox thing is a distraction, it's a poor way of investing unless you are simply playing and by its fixed fee and high percentage charges will always be more expensive than one of the more established alternatives, at least for sums that are in any way going to make any difference.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 21st Apr 17, 6:59 AM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 3,645 Thanks
    ColdIron
    I was 99% sure

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder ...
    But the Wiki quote clinches it for me

I await a dozen or more 'final posts'
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 21st Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 6,499 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    It's relatively clear that he isn't claiming to be a banker, but claiming to be someone from Eskbank. Do keep up Tony.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Anthorn's most recent post was 24/03/17 @ 12:51am

Smed's first post 24/03/17 @ 1:15pm

Could be entirely coincidental, just like Superman and Clark Kent never being around at the same time!
    Originally posted by TheShape

Read this thread. I just posted a short introduction and people asked for more information and then proceeded to attack me using that information as ammunition.
    You basically launched a new thread to introduce your new persona without wanting to discuss anything, and within a few posts were talking about how you had just come across some other 'micro investing' thread which was in your view "packed with attacks" on the poster Anthorn and observing that the same people from that thread were now posting on "my thread".

You later postulated that most people on the forum were all unemployed fantasists who pretend to be rich, and that you'd had a laugh at the idea that anyone dispensing free advice or guidance was an IFA because IFAs wouldn't try to help people for free, they were most likely people dreaming of being IFAs but without having two pennies to rub together themselves.

You posted on the 'post your last investment' thread that you had just cashed out profits from your moneybox investment in order to start a "reverse savings challenge" where you put a reducing amount of money into a savings account each week so that a year from now you have to deposit one pound into it. This from a person who claims to have the financial resources and complex affairs to have an IFA and an accountant.

The moneybox investment which you were speaking about taking profits out of, being the same product that 'Anthorn' had so fervently advocated and defended on other threads in the face of others saying it was overpriced and a gimmick, and which you ended up advocating and being defensive about on this one too.

After you had said that the posters here were living in a fantasy world talking about investing money they didn't have, and that the IFAs were not IFAs because they posted at 'all hours' so were probably unemployed without pennies to rub together, someone called you a troll - someone who posts inflammatory statements looking for a reaction.

Your very next post was on the 'post your last investment' thread, claiming that instead of (or as well as) your moneybox/savings challenge endeavours, your last investment was really into the unregulated bonds offered by London Capital and Finance - one of the most frequently disparaged unregulated investments posted about in the forum with multiple dedicated threads about how bad it is that they are allowed to be advertised to retail investors. In response to your post, some even-handed comments were made on that 'last investment' thread about the LC&F offering, suggesting an alternative. You stated here that you would not be responding to them. That would be consistent with someone who does not actually have an LC&F investment and was just saying he did as a trolling statement.

Since then I've been on the defence. Now I'm accused of really being someone else. Where do you people come from? Are you all actually paranoid Schizophrenics?
    Coupled with the fact that after you had introduced this new persona you'd immediately started talking about a thread in which Anthorn was 'ganged up on', and that you use and defend the same niche and unpopular investments -if we were to compare posting styles, mannerisms and use of language, this would further support the assertion that you are Anthorn under a different username.

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is...
    On the previous microinvesting threads, Anthorn liked to use a common word as an insult to others, and then post the definition (e.g. "Pedant"). Rather than using a dictionary definition he would use Wikipedia instead. Unusual, but same as what you do.

When Anthorn gets flustered and wants to dismiss his critics, he starts to say LOL a lot (Forum Search > Advanced Search> All Open Forums ; Posts made by: Anthorn ; Keywords: Lol ; Show As: Posts). Similarly here you used it four times in four consecutive posts (#127-139). Most of the rest of us use it sparingly, as it stopped being cool years ago.

Anthorn mentioned just before he stopped posting that he was off on holiday to France for six weeks. In post #100 on this thread, Malthusian was talking about your alleged LC&F investment, posting at 11.46am. You replied that he was "So sad", having "posted that at 10.46am" because he didn't work for a living. Clearly what you had mistakenly done while on your little trip to France was mentally taken off an hour from the time displayed onscreen to assert what time he would have posted that in the UK, without realising that the MSE forum was already displaying UK time.

Don't worry, the fact that you have set your profile location for this account to Lincolnshire (a good ten minutes drive from Anthorn's place in Cambridgeshire) should be enough to put us off the scent.

Only the people with >5000 posts get to see everyones' IP addresses so your personal secrets are safe from most casual users of the site.

Last edited by bowlhead99; 21-04-2017 at 8:15 AM. Reason: Added smiley to show we are all jolly good pals really
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 21st Apr 17, 8:22 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    mollycat
    ^^^^Clouseau strikes again!
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 21st Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 3,355 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Also interesting that Smed/Anthorn's last post in the Savings & Investments forum was in a thread about a London Capital & Finance clone where he accused other posters of libel for warning a new poster not to invest in it. The only thing Smed has done apart from squabble with other posters is to talk about London Capital & Finance itself as if it is a sensible investment.

A shill playing a very long game, or just stupid?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Apr 17, 11:24 AM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    eskbanker
    "Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real.[2] Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation." Look familiar?
    Indeed, looks very familiar:

false beliefs - a paranoid conviction that one is being personally 'attacked' when investment philosophies and products are being debated

unclear or confused thinking - asserting that anyone posting during the daytime is therefore unemployed

hearing voices that others do not hear - the siren call of dubious off-piste products perhaps?

reduced social engagement and emotional expression - ad hominem playground responses rather than engaging in meaningful debate

lack of motivation - no apparent desire to benefit and learn from sensible discussion

Anyway, despite this tongue-in-cheek response, schizophrenia is no laughing matter and is a serious medical condition that shouldn't be trivialised....
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Anyway I have to go do something useful too. The market beckons.
    Sheep or cattle?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

991Posts Today

8,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin