Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maddiction
    • By maddiction 24th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 19Thanks
    maddiction
    Indigo, St. Albans Station - Rigmount Road
    • 24th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    Indigo, St. Albans Station - Rigmount Road 24th Mar 17 at 7:12 AM
    Hi,
    Looking for some advice with an issue with Indigo Parking at St. Albans Station (Ridgemount road).
    Parked yesterday afternoon at the station, did the pay by phone and came back last night to find one of their little love letters…. The ‘crime’ Parking in a reserved bay….!!

Only they seem to have neglected to actually mark all their reserved bays as ‘reserved bays’ (surly that’s reasonable grounds in itself, no?), furthermore there is a big yellow ‘Parking’ painted on the ground along the front of the bays (I would think that’s a reasonable assumption they want customers to park there, in those bays, right??) and should I mention the bay I chose was also slap bang next to one of the big grey machines that is plastered with words like ‘Parking’, ‘Pay here’ & ‘Phone this Number’….. (again surly a reasonable assumption, this is a place to park??!!).

Now first though I have is; ‘Go on, shall we try asking a judge what (s)he things about this’ as I’m interested to see just how they would be advised they go shove their little love note up their own…… As well as how the parking company would explain the validity of their speculative invoice.

So though I’d check in with the knowledgeable folk here before I march off and have some fun with this bunch of idiots, with that seems so obviously wrong… Now what would the best course of action be? Immediately take them to task on the matter and ask them to politely ‘shove it’ and invite them to arrange a court date if they don’t wish to (I personally can’t see any, even an unreasonable Judge, siding with the parking company on this… there is just no grounds for the pCN what so ever….)? Ignore it completely…? Or wait for the NTK and then go the POPLA route (In which case I would need to read up on as it’s been years since I’ve needed to know anything about and tbh seems like a waste of my time in this instance, given there incapability to mark their parking bays in this area of the car park as ‘restricted’ or otherwise not for general use… just seems quite a length to need to go to and just seems wrong that I would have to go to such lengths to deal with such a silly matter and what feels more like ‘entrapment’ been a once in a blue moon user of this carpark….)? Or something else?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated on this.

Also do MSE parking forum have any stickers or similar available, would be nice to leave a few pointers to some of the less well informed around locations such as this..?

Thanks

m
    Last edited by maddiction; 01-06-2017 at 1:46 PM.
Page 3
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 25th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Johno100
    Any advice on what I should do next? Any advice appreciated...
    Originally posted by Emc
    Yes, start your own thread.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 50,183 Posts
    • 63,571 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    was horrified to see tonight that they have increased the fine to £100 on the appeal area of the website!!!
    Who cares? You won't be PAYING! Yes it's all a scam. Stop phoning them, they have no call centre in the normal sense of the word; this isn't a 'customer service' industry.

Start your own thread. Read the NEWBIES FAQS thread.

See my signature, tells you exactly where to click to get to page one to read the NEWBIES thread first.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• maddiction
    • By maddiction 26th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    EMC,

It's 100% a scam, though I think they believe there own rhetoric...

As I've said in this thread and you mention, there is not indication that the bays down the end are 'reserved' and you don't even pass any of there signage if you drive straight down Ridgmount Road, more confound by the BIG yellow 'Parking' written across them and the pay machine next to them.

Indigo nicely show all this in there own contrived evidence 'cut 'n' past' pack.. along with a 'reserved' sign that is right over the other side of the carpark, with it's back to Ridgmount road... (They didn't even bother to use the one that's just round the corner, but in no was visible unless you've driven round past the station...). I did have half a mind to suggest they took it straight to caught (not that they can, been a bylaw case...) just to see how they would try and argue there case to a Judge/Magistrate...

I walked through the car park a few weeks later and noticed a 'sea' of yellow love notes on cars (I try my best not to park in the station usually and enjoy the walk back to the car usually, parked a way away). Just seems odd to me they have gone to the bother of providing 'evidence' to POPLA in my case (though it is very 'cut/paste.. I don't think anyone has actually spent any time on it) so I think they think they are on to a winner there as I would guess a lot of uninformed people would just pay the 'reduced' fee after been entrapped....

Definitely worth dropping the local paper and the local MP a line about!

Anyway, read up on 'Railway By-Law's' on here and other Indigo cases. If you can still get a POPLA code out of them then do so and jump through the hoops to get it to go away (I'm still waiting on a POPLA response which I'm expecting will be a win, don't see how it can't be), if you've passed that wait out the 6 months for the By-Law window to expire and ignore any rubbish they send you. I can't really see there is much they can do apart from send threatening sounding letters.. They would have to be exceptionally stupid to try and take to court (as a breach of contract) as it's a by-law case so the TOC needs to do that.

What ever you do, don't give them a penny!!!!!!!!
    • dirtdog
    • By dirtdog 26th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    dirtdog
    a way away). Just seems odd to me they have gone to the bother of providing 'evidence' to POPLA in my case (though it is very 'cut/paste.. I don't think anyone has actually spent any time on it) so I think they think they are on to a winner there as I would guess a lot of uninformed people would just pay the 'reduced' fee after been entrapped....
    Originally posted by maddiction
    FYI: They did the same with me in the same carpark.

I am currently waiting for the POPLA decision (sent comments 8 days ago).
    • maddiction
    • By maddiction 27th Jun 17, 3:08 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    ........and:

'POPLA has decided to adjourn all cases on which the parking operator has asked the motorist to make a payment in respect of alleged breach of Byelaws. This is following complaints to POPLA and ISPA that POPLA has no authority to look at these appeals. We are considering our position and will contact you again in due course.Your case concerns Byelaws and is affected by the adjournment. During this time, you do not need to take any further action.
    We do not anticipate the cases to be adjourned for more than two months from today. Parking operators should not pursue payment while the cases are adjourned.

Yours Sincerely,
    XXXX XXXXXX
    POPLA Team'

• waamo
    • By waamo 27th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 2,441 Thanks
    waamo
    ........and:

'POPLA has decided to adjourn all cases on which the parking operator has asked the motorist to make a payment in respect of alleged breach of Byelaws. This is following complaints to POPLA and ISPA that POPLA has no authority to look at these appeals. We are considering our position and will contact you again in due course.Your case concerns Byelaws and is affected by the adjournment. During this time, you do not need to take any further action.
    We do not anticipate the cases to be adjourned for more than two months from today. Parking operators should not pursue payment while the cases are adjourned.

Yours Sincerely,
    XXXX XXXXXX
    POPLA Team'

I think POPLA have made a boo boo. They announced back in January that they would hear byelaw cases.
    This space for hire.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 27th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Johno100
    ........and:

Yours Sincerely,
    XXXX XXXXXX
    POPLA Team'

And what date is that letter/email?
    • maddiction
    • By maddiction 27th Jun 17, 10:06 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    Email received today (27/6/2017).

Bit annoying not to get a proper response to the effort put in, but on the other hand the by-law 6 months is nicely ticking away...!

In any case I expect nothing much from this whole copy/paste, kangaroo court industry....

m
    • maddiction
    • By maddiction 14th Jul 17, 6:28 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    Just walked through this carpark this morning and noticed they have put up wheele clamp signs... ( taken away the pay machine near the unmarked 'reserved' bays, but not bothered to actually paint any markings or putup any signage to say they are 'reserved'.......).

Looks like they may have cottened on to the by-law's? Does that give then authority to clamp?

So can Indigo clamp vehicles on railway land or does that need to be the train operator?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 50,183 Posts
    • 63,571 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It would depend upon the wording of the byelaws, but I think an authorised third party can clamp a car in breach of those byelaws (but not as revenge or to force payment of an old PCN which may have been another driver altogether, as NCP discovered to their six-figure cost, against Mr Mayhook).
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• maddiction
    • By maddiction 14th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    I wouldn't credit them with the intelligence to be able to put 2 and 2 together to try and clamp people in revenge (not to mention having no legal standing to do so in that case) : o p

What worries me is if they think they can issue speculative invoices for alleged breaches and throw them around like confetti, (when there is no signage giving any indication of restricted/reserved areas, I wouldn't have a problem if it was all clear and above board..) and now they are thinking they can clamp people, presumably for the exact same thing, surly there will be no immediate independent appeals process what so ever at the pointy end (i.e. when you come back and find a nice yellow triangular hub on your motor), so you have to pay pay there and then to get you vehicle, purely on there say so that the motorist is contravening the by-laws?

I'm guessing that's how it works i.e. no money not tak-ie-off-ie in which case is that not a private body imposing a penalty without a court been involved, surly that's wrong... or does it happen another way? Or is it just an empty threat?

And more so that they have gone and put up clamping signs all over the car park, but not done one thing to mark the bays... You can see their method of thinking....

Also i'm curious if anyone else has noticed Indigo putting up such signs in other railway car parks they infest?
    Last edited by maddiction; 14-07-2017 at 3:52 PM.
    • Handbags-at-dawn
    • By Handbags-at-dawn 15th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Handbags-at-dawn
    They've just stuck them up in Haywards Heath station too.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 50,183 Posts
    • 63,571 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    They've just stuck them up in Haywards Heath station too.
    Originally posted by Handbags-at-dawn
    Maybe they will catch out and clamp some of the BPA's finest! The BPA being based at HH.

Imagine one of their staff (how the heck can they do that ''job'', for the love of God, people of Sussex, have some personal standards in life and do something useful for Society instead) having their car clamped when they park at the station one day!

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 14,636 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Oh my, BPA employees based in Wayward Teeth in danger!

Would they have automatic absolution, or just be invoiced at 'mates rates'?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • maddiction
    • By maddiction 25th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    So now the 6 month Bye-Law limitation has now passed. Case is still on hold with POPLA... Haven't heard anything form Indigo in ages (as would be expected), so what's to do?

Do I give Indigo a poke and point out they are out of time and see what they say or let POPLA get around to sorting it out? Other options?

Cheers,

m
    • Redx
    • By Redx 25th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 15,539 Posts
    • 19,629 Thanks
    Redx
    no point poking a sleeping dog with a sharp stick

POPLA put a lot of RAILWAY appealsd on hold pending a decision by the DfT , I dont think that decision has happened yet so if you did ask its likely they will say , nope, no decision, awaiting a respons from the DfT (which may not happen for some considerable time)

you may be anxious about it, but the wheels roll very , VERY slowly in the Civil Service

my advice ? get on with your life , only react if you receive something tangible , meanwhile tempus fugit, time waits for no man (or the DfT)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • dirtdog
    • By dirtdog 25th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    dirtdog
    I am also shortly past the 6 months cut-off date at the same train station.

I did see that Indigo has had a few 'non contests' at POPLA.
    • maddiction
    • By maddiction 26th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    maddiction
    Hi Dirtdog, Curious if you received an NTK from them? As I didn't.

Also have you spotted anyone been clamped there yet (since they put up clamping signs)?

m
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,331Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter