Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 23rd Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,756Posts
    • 894Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Breach of Covenant Question
    • 23rd Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    Breach of Covenant Question 23rd Mar 17 at 8:27 PM
    My son has received the letter below along with all the other house owners in the area. Does he need to act or not. He has lived here for about ten years and has not done any building or alterations.

Is this company just trying to frighten people and make money out of them. Will this company be monitored by the FSA or other governing body?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
Page 2
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 24th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    LittleMax
    The family do seem to have their fingers in an awful lot of pies - every one of their companies seems to be listed at the bottom of the Yenton website. I'm not so sure that they are completely detached from it.

I would not reply to the letter and I would not enter into any dialogue with the Gascoines.

http://yenton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Calverton-for-sale.pdf

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/chris-gascoine-346a5392
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 05-04-2017 at 8:36 AM. Reason: Personal details
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 24th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    DollyDee
    Just out of curiosity can OP or anyone else confirm the Company Reg No. on the letter. It looks like 00004134 to me but it's out of focus and gets worse when I enlarge it.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 24th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    LittleMax
    Looks like 00888138 to me...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00888138
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 24th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    DollyDee
    I think you're correct. I'm off to Specsavers!

I could tell it wasn't the Reg No. in the first companies house link but couldn't make it out.

Yenton Building Co Ltd - another dormant company.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 24th Mar 17, 2:00 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    I'm pretty convinced this is a scam.

This isn't an invoice for payment. I believe an invoice for payment has to contain certain specific details, one of which is a company address to which payment can be posted!
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 24th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    DollyDee
    http://yenton.co.uk/

http://yenton.co.uk/covenants/
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Apr 17, 9:52 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    davidmcn
    If you acknowledge that they no longer serve a purpose, why are you threatening to enforce them? If you think they still serve a purpose, why are you happy to waive them for a nominal fee?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 05-04-2017 at 8:35 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 4th Apr 17, 11:06 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    A large company should be aware of how to create a legitimate invoice.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 5th Apr 17, 6:33 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    A large company should be aware of how to create a legitimate invoice.
    Originally posted by Hoploz
    That's the thing, it's NOT an invoice. They have not been hired to provide services. It's a threat/scare tactic letter.
    • BLOW FLY
    • By BLOW FLY 5th Apr 17, 7:34 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    BLOW FLY
    Just to play devils advocate a little here, when the properties were bought how come none of these covenants were discovered by the buyers solicicitors?

Surely disclosure of seemingly quite onerous covenants on the property/s during the sales process should have been mandatory.....?

BF
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 5th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Just to play devils advocate a little here, when the properties were bought how come none of these covenants were discovered by the buyers solicicitors?

Surely disclosure of seemingly quite onerous covenants on the property/s during the sales process should have been mandatory.....?
    Originally posted by BLOW FLY
    Don't think anybody's claimed that the purchasing solicitors didn't give appropriate advice. Tends to go in one ear and out the other though, clients are more concerned about when they get their keys, and forget about or ignore the covenants when they later do work.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 5th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    If this company asks for money for a breach of a covenant, they should state which covenant has been broken in order that the homeowner (and if necessary their solicitor) can agree a breach has occurred.

They should not just send a generic letter and demand payment without even giving so much as a proper list of payment options.

Scam.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 5th Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    I see yesterday's posts from somebody claiming to be from this Yenton firm have been removed.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 5th Apr 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    tykesi
    I see yesterday's posts from somebody claiming to be from this Yenton firm have been removed.
    Pity. What did it say? I'd hazard a guess at them trying to add legitimacy to the claim desperately trying to get the OP to believe them and pay.
    £2017 in 2017 - £6362.49
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 5th Apr 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I posted suggesting that Charlie (?) from Yenton Minster Homes Ltd really shouldn't reply to this post as it will only push the discussion higher on google and make more people aware of their iffy tactics. Yenton have obviously asked the forum mods to remove any comment that had their name in it which is a damn shame as I made some very pertinent and frank statements.

To the OP, do you know if you have any vulnerable neighbours? If so, it would be superb of you to pay them a quick visit and reassure them, in case they're worrying or following the demands in Yenton Minster Homes Ltd's letter!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    • 42,352 Posts
    • 49,208 Thanks
    G_M
    My fault.

I reported the posts to the mods for representing a company without first obtaining permission from the forum moderators.

Both of his posts, and my own (advising him of the rules) have been removed by the mods.
    • Moneysaving user
    • By Moneysaving user 19th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Moneysaving user
    Hello, new user here so I'm not too sure whether this has been resolved but has there been any further updates on this? My elderly parents have also received the same letter and I'm trying to work out whether this is legitimate or not. Thanks for your help.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 19th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 6,323 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Arkell vs Pressdram springs to mind...
    Originally posted by Taiko
    Perhaps the OP or another recipient of the letter might wish to forward a copy to the publication concerned?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 25th May 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Update
    Update from my son-

"The street have all chipped in for a solicitor and they are putting one test case through to check they get correct paperwork etc
    Although we have no major worries with extensions etc we do not want to be in the position of having to pay more at a later date selling house etc"

Fortyfoot
    • RonnieBoo
    • By RonnieBoo 1st Jun 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RonnieBoo
    Please could you update us on the support from your solicitor as we have all received very similar aggressive letters in our area. In terms of our house, the previous owners extended the house and the solicitors did not pick up or mention any problems with the restrictive covenant which is worrying us
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,193Posts Today

7,441Users online

Martin's Twitter