Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 23rd Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 6,650Posts
    • 10,854Thanks
    andrewf75
    need new commuter bike
    • 23rd Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    need new commuter bike 23rd Mar 17 at 2:33 PM
    I need a new commuting bike. Currently have a Ridgeback hybrid 21 speed that I have basically trashed by not maintaining it. I don’t have a long commute and not too hilly so should I be looking at fixed gear or enclosed hub bikes as these are more resistant to neglect? I just saw a Bobbin Noodle in a shop which got me thinking. Not looking to spend too much - around 300 ideally but would consider spending more if it will last longer.

Thanks!
Page 2
    • fred246
    • By fred246 17th Apr 17, 8:22 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    fred246
    As a daily commuter I don't clean my bike often. I only clean it when cleaning will result in serious reductions in bicycle weight. I have full length SKS Chromoplastic mudguards which get caked in mud. I remove the wheels and clean them and the insides of the mudguards. I then clean the drivetrain. It's all fidly little bits. Car servicing is all quick jobs one after the other.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 17th Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    Rohloffs are supposed to be super reliable but are still very heavy and everything about them is expensive.
    Originally posted by fred246

There are super reliable at a cost for that part alone your looking at over £400 plus.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 19th Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    House Martin
    Yes servicing a car is very easy. All the tricky jobs have gone. The only thing slightly tricky is a cambelt change.
    Originally posted by fred246
    you cannot be serious ! cambelt change is ridiculous nowadays. You cannot get your hands down the sides of the engines.You need a pit . I used to be able to change an alternator in less than 20 minutes but it took me nearly a weekend fighting my way to get at the thing just in an old Corsa C hatchback So much extra stuff has been rammed into the engine bays nowadays. theres no room . I have a Corsa D and cannot even get at the headlight bulb without major surgery. Unless you are talking about an old car or are a pro mechanic "you cannot be serious "
    To the OP I implore you to look out for a Planet X London road commuter bike on Ebay. I ve seen these quality lightweight commuters appearing for less than £300 in either straight or drop handlebars . I got a virtually brand new carbon fibre Planet X 8 kilo bike for only £600 with top quality group set. They will come up eventually. Planet X are leading the way in offering the best prices for really good gear.
    Last edited by House Martin; 19-04-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    fred246
    I have a pit but don't use it for cambelts as it doesn't help. Alternator removal is not part of servicing but have done it quite easily on my last 2 cars. Sometimes you need to do some disassembly but it's not rocket science. People who work in garages don't have smaller hands than anyone else. Parts and tools seem cheaper than they have ever been.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

1,138Users online

Martin's Twitter