Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CityBlue
    • By CityBlue 23rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    CityBlue
    Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk
    • 23rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk 23rd Mar 17 at 10:11 AM
    Hi All,

I am looking to get our boiler replaced and have found the website boxt.co.uk that looks very cheap. I have read reviews and they are all good, however I am always a bit wary of deals that seem to good to be true.

So my question is has anyone had any dealings with boxt.co.uk?

Thanks

Ian
Page 3
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 18th Apr 17, 12:33 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    All new boilers work with very small water ways inside so if your system is dirty it will damage the new boiler very quickly, you will contact the manufacturers for a warranty repair and they will charge, void wart and advise to get it flushed. If it's very dirty it could take all day to clean. See if they will power flush your system at extra cost. Nearly all boiler faults I goto relate to poor water quality.

To know what size gas supply you need, someone will need to do a gas pipe calculation, it may run ok on 22mm but how will you know. There are tests that can be done to check which involve taking gas pressure tests from the boiler and gas meter when the boiler is running at max and also testing how much gas it uses on max over a set time. If you have doubts after they fit it, pay a local person carry out these 2 tests.
    • mattpc
    • By mattpc 18th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattpc
    Alex, I totally get that and appreciate your point. BOXT say a free "system cleanse" is provided. This seems rather vague wording and clearly in my situation a "power flush" assuming that is a different thing, would be more appropriate? My house is Edwardian so who knows how old the central heating pipe work is? I've never previously had any leaks but who knows what a flush would unearth?
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 18th Apr 17, 5:52 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    A system cleanse is the minimum the manufacturers will expect but if the system is that bad then it needs a power flushing.

An old system may end up leaking if power flushed but if it needs it your going to have to bite the bullet overwise you will do damage to your new boiler.

I'm assuming you have a open system at your house at the moment and by you think about 28mm gas I guess your going to a combi in which case your going to a pressurised system and any weak points of your system will leak when you fit the new boiler.

Make sure you have a magnetic system filter on the return close to the boiler to help protect the new boiler.
    • mattpc
    • By mattpc 18th Apr 17, 6:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattpc
    Hi Alex, currently got a Baxi combi 105e. I agree it is highly likely that it needs a proper flush and I won't be going ahead with any installation that scrimps on this element. I am told I currently have a 22mm and need to go to 28mm. The engineer who quoted (not BOXT) was very clear that in his mind this would need to happen for the boiler to perform to its potential. I don't know 100% if this is true but I doubt he is being dishonest about this. The reason I'm investigating using BOXT is because I would like to save money. Their price is very good but I need to get the whole system in to a good state, not just the boiler. BOXT have emailed me saying that they have seen what I have written on here. They are not stalking me, it's because I emailed them some questions and they have connected my user name with these queries. They have said their engineers will do the job properly and if it needs 28mm to comply with Gas Safe then they will do it (with regards to pressure levels). My response was that they have ignored the other part of my "review" which is the issue of flushing the system. I have explained that I suspect the system is dirty and needs a flush. So far nothing back but we'll see if they respond tomorrow. The thing is (as I've said to them) I don't mind them tweaking the price if they do a more comprehensive install (power flush and 28mm). We'll see what they say.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 18th Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    You already have a pressurised system then, I wouldn't worry about the power flush causing leaks, it's possible but of all the power flushes I've ever done I've only ever had leaks on open systems.

I don't know about the gas pipe, it would need a calculation done to determine the size req. taking into account the length of the gas pipe, other appliances and elbows etc. If it needs 28mm in will probably only need the 1st few meters from the meter.
    • mattpc
    • By mattpc 20th Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattpc
    Right powerflush booked with local supplier...
    • Cazmack69
    • By Cazmack69 4th May 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cazmack69
    Boxt are excellent
    Hi, i had a replacement boiler 2 weeks ago, i was a bit dubious when i saw boxt, never heard of them and the price was really cheap. I cannot recommend them enough, i booked it Friday, plumber came out Saturday morning. Put protective covers on my carpets, installed the boiler and cleared up after himself. He was friendly polite and explained everything to us . Also included was a wireless thermostat which can be controlled from my phone. This company is fantastic, this morning i had a courtesy call asking if i was happy and telling me how to get in touch if ever i needed to. The boiler is guaranteed for 10 years parts and labour so long as it is serviced every year so no need to pay for breakdown cover.
    • macman
    • By macman 4th May 17, 1:11 PM
    • 41,406 Posts
    • 17,034 Thanks
    macman
    I just don't get the economics of this at all. The fitters appear to be travelling long distances (Newcastle to London, Leeds to Liverpool). Assuming they are subbies, Boxt are not going to be paying them for their travelling time or fuel, and the rate they get for each install must already be very low.
    If they are spending half a day to get to a one day job, how can that possibly leave them in profit? Most national firms like this will sub contract to a reasonably local RGI.
    A one day install schedule is not sufficient to do a proper powerflush, so any sludge left will invalidate the warranty.
    Last edited by macman; 04-05-2017 at 1:15 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 4th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    It works because they have subbies that are happy to work for next to nothing and the boiler manufacturers sell them boilers for probably half the cost they sell to anyone else.

They can't be flushing properly which will invalidate warranty and it will be left to companies like mine to pick up the pieces just like the last company they set up.

They seem to be fully aware of this thread and do get a lot of newly registered users leaving glowing reviews so they must be doing something right.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 4th May 17, 10:42 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Exactly as Alex said, they will do it for a couple of years make a fortune while the installers earn next to nothing & leave a lot of customers who's warentee isn't worth the paper it's written on
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • chris-j
    • By chris-j 5th May 17, 10:56 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    chris-j
    I was very sceptical about Boxt, but with some ridiculous quotes for a boiler replacement I figured give them a chance.

Installer professional and very tidy, no mess left at all. I do most jobs round my house myself and my opinion of my installer was very good and he knew what he was doing, very methodical. My previous boiler had inputs in different order and pipes looked bit of a maze, these now look much tidier.
    Boxt price hugely better than other quotes and included Honeywell Lyric TR6 wireless thermostat (which I personally think is better then the Hive I had with old boiler), and all parts needed (Flue, pipework, magnetic filter).

As others have pointed out here, how best to pick a fitter?
    Price is a huge factor when you see some of the crazy prices quoted and I am not sure I get the question on the economics - I don't see the installer I had doing this unless it was financially viable for him - personally I think the Boxt price was very fair to everyone in transaction.

Part of my scepticism was the enthusiastic reviews from fairly new MSE members - I have been round these forums for 10 years now, although not vey active for a while, but have to say I am very happy with the service Boxt have provided.

I accept that using Boxt could result in you getting a crap fitter, but so could any other method of selecting a fitter. my experience was good (if it had not been I would have put a bad comment on here).
    • serrie
    • By serrie 12th Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    serrie
    I looked at this site - positive and negative. Then checked a few other reviews. I knew my boiler was inefficient and I was half waiting for it to go and it has .. could be multiple reasons but after a friend of my got charged a lot of money for a fix and then charged the initial price for a new one, I went for a green replacement. I went for BOXT and was really impressed .. can't say anything more - brilliantly priced, great guy and all with no hidden extras. After a couple of 'burns' on extra pricing for other jobs I can say I love their up front pricing, efficiency and general greatness. I get fed up with people pricing me up as they walk through my house - this was up front, great quality and well priced. I do NOT work for them btw
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 12th Jun 17, 8:32 PM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 9,345 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Just quoted myself. Boiler costs about £750 from plumb nation.

Total fitted cost on Boxt circa £2500
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • gstar04
    • By gstar04 8th Aug 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gstar04
    Boxt are based in the same building as Help-link, their MD is ex Help-link, given that Help-link reputation shot 2 sh** may explain why.
    • freida20
    • By freida20 25th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    freida20
    is this boxt or a previous company? the cost of boxt claims it includes a checmical flush to clean the system and a magnetic filter is also included. I've been quoted £300 + for flush and chemicals and magnetic filter so getting a new boiler seems like a better idea given my boiler is 15 years old.
    Mortgage start: £79,000 March 2017.............................Debts start: £6390 March 2017
    Current mortgage: £75985............................................ .Current Debts: £8600
    • Fuskercat
    • By Fuskercat 10th Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Fuskercat
    Just great!
    Well, my installation was done by BOXT yesterday. They do have clear terms and conditions on their website, so I'm quite sure they would have an 'out' if you gave them incorrect information, and would obviously be within their rights to offer a modified quotation if their was more work needed than they knew-off before hand,

The boiler etc was delivered at the promised time, the installers arrived when they said they would.

They were a couple of friendly Geordie lads who had travelled down the previous day and stayed overnight locally, before going on to their next job in London.

They said they are employed by BOXT, so are not local sub-contractors.

They worked like dogs - and were able to finish the entire job in about 7 hours! They did a nice tidy job, cleaned up after themselves and made sure I knew how to operate the system. No complaints. I would certainly use them, again..

The price compared very well to local quotes - basically I could get a Worcester Bosch from them, for the price of an Ideal Logic from a local supplier. So I decided to go for broke and go for a slightly bigger WB boiler than I really needed, so we can get the best flow rate at the taps/showers.

We've never had such good pressure at the taps - the bath filled faster than ever with lashings of hot water.

I really like the Honeywell thermostat/programmer that came with the deal! I wouldn't have bothered to buy one if I'd had to pay extra - but it turns out to be very convenient and easy to use, so is a very nice bonus.

The main thing that annoyed me about the whole business is the nonsense and BS fed to me by some of the other firms that quoted. I don't much like being manipulated by a salesman, especially when they don't really have any product knowledge. Like the firm that wanted to charge me £250 for a limescale inhibitor, and didn't even know what kind it was. Then their was the one who wanted to charge me £880 to 'convert to a combi system' when our old boiler already WAS a combi system!

In contrast the interaction with BOXT was much more straight-forward and easy.
    Originally posted by RichardKing
    Was needing a new boiler and after considering the usual companies, British Gas and the like I saw a Google result for Boxt. I liked what I saw but being naturally suspicious of a company I'd never heard of before, I went looking for reviews.
    Looked good on Trustpilot, but I've heard they are filtering out bad reviews these days so not as trustworthy as they used to be! Then I saw this thread and in particular Richard Kings posts about his experience with Boxt. This swung it for me so I arranged for my new boiler which was a very good price and arranged the credit as I didn't have a spare £1900 floating about! Got it over 5 years and with APR it's only £400 more so not as bad as it could've been!
    Their website was really easy to use and they request you send a few photos of your old boilet/ flue/ gas meter etc and they contact you if they need any more information.
    The morning of the installation the fella arrived around 8:30 am and got straight on removing the old boiler. The only problem was the new one didn't arrive until 11:30 which is unusual for it to be so late according to the boiler installer and other reviews I've read.
    No worries though, he got right on it and a few hours later the new boiler is up and running and I have a lovely warm house and hot water.
    He took away the old boiler and every scrap of rubbish and left everything clean and tidy, wish I could remember his name (I'm terrible with names!), but he was a lovely lad who grafted and didn't faff about!
    So if you're considering Boxt, from me it's certainly two thumbs up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

534Posts Today

3,512Users online

Martin's Twitter