Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CityBlue
    • By CityBlue 23rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    CityBlue
    Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk
    • 23rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk 23rd Mar 17 at 10:11 AM
    Hi All,

I am looking to get our boiler replaced and have found the website boxt.co.uk that looks very cheap. I have read reviews and they are all good, however I am always a bit wary of deals that seem to good to be true.

So my question is has anyone had any dealings with boxt.co.uk?

Thanks

Ian
Page 3
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 18th Apr 17, 12:33 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Alex1983
    All new boilers work with very small water ways inside so if your system is dirty it will damage the new boiler very quickly, you will contact the manufacturers for a warranty repair and they will charge, void wart and advise to get it flushed. If it's very dirty it could take all day to clean. See if they will power flush your system at extra cost. Nearly all boiler faults I goto relate to poor water quality.

To know what size gas supply you need, someone will need to do a gas pipe calculation, it may run ok on 22mm but how will you know. There are tests that can be done to check which involve taking gas pressure tests from the boiler and gas meter when the boiler is running at max and also testing how much gas it uses on max over a set time. If you have doubts after they fit it, pay a local person carry out these 2 tests.
    • mattpc
    • By mattpc 18th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattpc
    Alex, I totally get that and appreciate your point. BOXT say a free "system cleanse" is provided. This seems rather vague wording and clearly in my situation a "power flush" assuming that is a different thing, would be more appropriate? My house is Edwardian so who knows how old the central heating pipe work is? I've never previously had any leaks but who knows what a flush would unearth?
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 18th Apr 17, 5:52 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Alex1983
    A system cleanse is the minimum the manufacturers will expect but if the system is that bad then it needs a power flushing.

An old system may end up leaking if power flushed but if it needs it your going to have to bite the bullet overwise you will do damage to your new boiler.

I'm assuming you have a open system at your house at the moment and by you think about 28mm gas I guess your going to a combi in which case your going to a pressurised system and any weak points of your system will leak when you fit the new boiler.

Make sure you have a magnetic system filter on the return close to the boiler to help protect the new boiler.
    • mattpc
    • By mattpc 18th Apr 17, 6:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattpc
    Hi Alex, currently got a Baxi combi 105e. I agree it is highly likely that it needs a proper flush and I won't be going ahead with any installation that scrimps on this element. I am told I currently have a 22mm and need to go to 28mm. The engineer who quoted (not BOXT) was very clear that in his mind this would need to happen for the boiler to perform to its potential. I don't know 100% if this is true but I doubt he is being dishonest about this. The reason I'm investigating using BOXT is because I would like to save money. Their price is very good but I need to get the whole system in to a good state, not just the boiler. BOXT have emailed me saying that they have seen what I have written on here. They are not stalking me, it's because I emailed them some questions and they have connected my user name with these queries. They have said their engineers will do the job properly and if it needs 28mm to comply with Gas Safe then they will do it (with regards to pressure levels). My response was that they have ignored the other part of my "review" which is the issue of flushing the system. I have explained that I suspect the system is dirty and needs a flush. So far nothing back but we'll see if they respond tomorrow. The thing is (as I've said to them) I don't mind them tweaking the price if they do a more comprehensive install (power flush and 28mm). We'll see what they say.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 18th Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Alex1983
    You already have a pressurised system then, I wouldn't worry about the power flush causing leaks, it's possible but of all the power flushes I've ever done I've only ever had leaks on open systems.

I don't know about the gas pipe, it would need a calculation done to determine the size req. taking into account the length of the gas pipe, other appliances and elbows etc. If it needs 28mm in will probably only need the 1st few meters from the meter.
    • mattpc
    • By mattpc 20th Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattpc
    Right powerflush booked with local supplier...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin