Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mycleverbunnies
    • By mycleverbunnies 23rd Mar 17, 12:08 AM
    • 38Posts
    • 43Thanks
    mycleverbunnies
    ESA help please
    • 23rd Mar 17, 12:08 AM
    ESA help please 23rd Mar 17 at 12:08 AM
    Hi
    I have been on SSP while off work sick.My ssp ran out on 14/03/17 & I've applied for esa which will hopefully go smoothly as the person was very nice. I am puzzled though, I still have a job to go back to so will I get a form ( I think it's esa50) to fill in and will I go for a wca assessment? I am still going through treatment so don't know when I can go back to work. Or will they just pay me the normal assessment rate until I go back to work? I qualify for the SDP because I was awarded pip in December 2016. Any helpful information would be really appreciated.I have never been in this situation before.Thankyou
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 23rd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 23rd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    You will receive an ESA50 in due course and will be assessed for benefit entitlement in the normal way. There is no automatic qualification for SDP simply from receipt of PIP, there are other qualifying criteria to fulfil as well.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 23rd Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 23rd Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    Hi
    I have been on SSP while off work sick.My ssp ran out on 14/03/17 & I've applied for esa which will hopefully go smoothly as the person was very nice. I am puzzled though, I still have a job to go back to so will I get a form ( I think it's esa50) to fill in and will I go for a wca assessment? I am still going through treatment so don't know when I can go back to work. Or will they just pay me the normal assessment rate until I go back to work? I qualify for the SDP because I was awarded pip in December 2016. Any helpful information would be really appreciated.I have never been in this situation before.Thankyou
    Originally posted by mycleverbunnies
    SDP is only paid to those on Income Related ESA and as you were working before you'll more than likely be on Contribution based, so won't be entitled to the premiums.
    • Tolly_T
    • By Tolly_T 23rd Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Tolly_T
    • 23rd Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    You may still be entitled to the premium. It's paid to those on Income Related ESA and as poppy says you're likely to be on Contribution based. If you're entitled you will receive Contribution based ESA with an income based top up. Check out the additional criteria and get in touch with DWP if you're still fairly sure you're eligible for it. It'll probably be another form to fill in.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 23rd Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 10,995 Posts
    • 12,893 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 23rd Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    SDP is only paid to those on Income Related ESA and as you were working before you'll more than likely be on Contribution based, so won't be entitled to the premiums.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    The OP might qualify for SDP if she also meets the qualifying criteria for income based ESA as this would be given in the form of an income based 'top up' to their contribution based ESA.
    • mycleverbunnies
    • By mycleverbunnies 23rd Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    mycleverbunnies
    • 23rd Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    Thankyou for your replies.A nice person at the DWP office who is assessing my claim has already told me I will qualify because I already had the premium when on ssp- it was paid as income support top up.It didn't occur to me that I might need to chase them up on it but thankyou for the prior warning.
    It was confusing because I didnt see how I could be assessed to look for work when I already have a job.I guess they will put me in the wrag group then which is fine.Hopefully I'll be back at work by then.Do they wait 12 weeks before they send you this esa50 form?
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 23rd Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 23rd Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    No, they send the form out fairly quickly as you're supposed to be assessed and placed within a group within the 13 week assessment period. It's the assessment that people often find there's a long wait for, as there are rather long backlogs in some areas.
    • Denisema
    • By Denisema 10th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Denisema
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    I'M in a similar situation my ssp finished on 26.12.17 and i've gone onto esa, but i'm still employed my Dr has given me a fitnote with amendments and work have said they don't think think its safe enough for me to return atm as i'm recovering from surgery i get pip mobility, what happens as i already have a job
    • epitome
    • By epitome 13th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    epitome
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    I'M in a similar situation my ssp finished on 26.12.17 and i've gone onto esa, but i'm still employed my Dr has given me a fitnote with amendments and work have said they don't think think its safe enough for me to return atm as i'm recovering from surgery i get pip mobility, what happens as i already have a job
    Originally posted by Denisema
    As you don't get PIP care/Daily Living you will not get SDP.

You send the ESA DWP your sick notes as and when they run out (you can have someone hand them in at the jobcentre if you prefer - it's quicker that way and the job centre cannot refuse to take them although they might try to refuse).

You fill in and return the ESA50 best to phone 0800 2888777 after 2 weeks of posting to check it was delivered.

You will be eventually asked to attend a medical assessment (WCA)

You must pass the assessment for ESA to continue.

Still being employed is irrelevant to ESA.

You should inform Working tax credits of your stopping work...(if you get it.)
    Last edited by epitome; 13-01-2018 at 6:32 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

294Posts Today

2,642Users online

Martin's Twitter