Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 20th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5,608Posts
    • 38,383Thanks
    newgirly
    15 weeks to feel fabulous
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    15 weeks to feel fabulous 20th Mar 17 at 10:31 PM
    I'm a bit nervous about posting a new thread on here as my usual haunt is the mortgage free board, but I am really wanting to lose weight and feel more energetic, however my actions don't actually often show that

After the last few years sorting out debts and currently trying to clear the mortgage, I appreciate how much keeping a diary and the support of other mse'ers has been so helpful in achieving that.

So I guess it's worth trying to do the same with the weight loss, hopefully writing it down will keep me from quitting as I so often do when trying to lose weight and get fit, surely if I can gain control of my finances I can do the same with my weight!

I've chosen 15 weeks as a starting target to head towards, in the past I've set challenges impossible to hit and have also done the opposite and not set time frames, neither have worked. I want to lose in the region of 30lb, so 2lb a week seemed not too much of an unrealistic target.

My plan is to work on feeling positive about it, not the usual misery of what I can't eat, but actively seek out new things to try and cook/enjoy. I want to enjoy the food I eat, not fill up on things I'm not even that bothered about. I'm veggie and keeping to a reasonably careful food budget, my family which includes pot noodle loving teenagers (yuk!) may have to sample some of my healthy cooking from time to time as well.

Excercise wise, I am I think fairly allergic to it however with nothing physically wrong with me and at 42 I have no excuse, I have plenty of matching Lycra outfits that have not had much use, so I guess I should do something

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 38,545 / 10,784 paid so far

Mortgage 49,452 4 years 10 months left. Total owed 69,512 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weightwatchers target - 29.5 lb start date 11/5/17 so far 5.5lb lost
Page 1
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 21st Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    Yes, maybe skip the lycra if you're 30lbs overweight

No but seriously, I would try and look at lifestyle changes, as you say, rather than diets, which often don't work and as soon as you come off them the weight goes back on again.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 21st Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    Well, I would go to the Money Old Style board rather than this one and join the Weight Loss Challenge thread.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 21st Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 11,511 Thanks
    edwink
    I would seriously go with lifestyle change and NOT diet because as has been said the weight will just pile back on again and sometimes more on top of your original weight. Seriously they do say diets do not work.

IMO what you need to do is start meal planning and not just cook something you have in the freezer for dinner. If you meal plan you will buy the correct foods with thought going in to what you buy with lots of fruit and veg included in those meals. I notice that you are veggie so have you tried low fat Quorn or do buy vegetable burgers and that sort of thing? If you like vegetable based meals it is better to cook them from scratch yourself because at least you know what is going in your meals.

Things like potatoes are fine although many avoid them but it is not the potato that is fattening it is often the butter that is put on say jacket potatoes or butter in mash. Try and choose low fat varieties of food but I wouldn't personally go for fat free as they take out the fat to make it fat free and normally add something like sugar/sucrose instead so it builds the calories back up so pointless buying it. I have read before that it you stave your body of fat your body will start to store it more. Also don't starve yourself because when you do finally eat your body will think there was a famine and store a lot of the fat/calories in case there is another famine so to speak.

Everything in moderation I would say and definitely start meal planning. Oh and never go food shopping when you are hungry because apparently this will make you want to put unhealthy food in your trolley because you will fancy anything to eat regardless if it is healthy for you to eat or not.

My husband lost 2 stone last year and as a meat eater he cut right down on meat and even eats Quorn now and really likes it. Veg curry with quorn and wholemeal rice is filling and healthy but read the labels of the jar sauces if you really need to use them. But, if your curry is packed with veg and low fat Quorn and rice a little sauce from a jar is going to give you the bit of oil/fat you need in your diet. My husband loves wholemeal Quorn & rocket wraps with at least 10 different types of stir fried veg mixed with low fat cheese spread. That really is a light and nutritious meal and you could even add a small side salad to that meal if you wanted to.

I am sure others on here will help you with your healthy meal choices and meal planning to get you started on your healthier lifestyle.

Try and remember it is much better not to diet and better in the long run for you to change your eating habits for good then hopefully you will never have to go on a diet again. My husband is still eating healthily and has maintained his weight loss I am pleased to say.

Try not to aim for a too high weight loss every week because you may achieve your goal some weeks but other weeks you won't and you will be so disappointed with yourself and may think s*d it and munch on all and sundry you find in your cupboards. My suggestion would be to aim for 1lb a week maybe so in 6 months you will be 26 pounds lighter now doesn't that sound ?more achievable than 2lb a week I feel. Oh and don't be too hard on yourself and allow yourself some treat food or a desert once in a while.

Anyway good luck and try not to be too hard on yourself. I am sure others will pop on your thread and give you some good healthy meal ideas.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 21-03-2017 at 2:03 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 17 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 21st Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 21st Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    I have to strongly disagree with the above poster. Fat free or low fat is about the worst nutritional advise anyone can give.
    We have all been fed this line of "Fat is Bad" for years and years and people believe it as Gospel!

The human body, the brain especially, NEEDS a lot of fat to work at its optimal level. Good quality fat such as lard, butter, tallow, coconut oil and olive oil should be replacing many of the refined carbs because they are crucial to the correct mitochondrial development and functioning. Carbs block this process.

The example above with the potato is backwards. If you are going to take away the potato or the butter, the human body would rather eat the butter.
    The problems arise in people who want both. People can't have fat AND carbs all the time.

Low Carb and High Fat is the best diet for the human body.
    High fat will curb all cravings and stop feelings of hunger.
    Low carbs will stop the flooding of sugar in the body and stop insulin spikes, which cause cravings and hunger pangs.

OP. Do check out the Old Style thread I mentioned above and you can see the meals I eat and the weight I've lost along with the others.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 21st Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 38,383 Thanks
    newgirly
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone (apart from the Lycra clothing one)

I'm not really for cutting more food groups out such as fat and carbs as I'm already a long term veggie and it gets so restrictive. My problem is too much food in general, probably too much bread and wine and too little excercise. Other than that I do eat a fairly balanced diet. I do have one tiny gallstone so am wary of fat more than I used to be.

I meal plan half the time but do cook from scratch, so things like veggie curry or quorn chilli etc. The problem is more snacking and being tired or not wanting to cook after cooking for the family (who are not veggie) it's basically laziness

Totally agree with Edwink re the lifestyle change rather than diet, that's why I'm not pledging to give up the booze or stop having the odd meal out, I want it to be long term this time. I have hit my target weight previously but it has crept back on over the last 5 years or so. I have lost a stone on the last year already, but need another push as it's not getting any easier as I get older!

Thanks pop up pirate I shall go and have a look on the old style boards at the weight loss challenge too.

So today's food planned (and some of it eaten already)

Breakfast - early start at work so small banana , small apple (usually this would be boiled egg salad or avocado on toast)

Lunch- soup and a spinach and feta salad (weighed the low fat feta 30g)

4 large strawberries , a few blueberries

Dinner- homemade leek and courgette spicy bean burgers (only spray oil used) , in wholemeal pitta with salad and a bit of avocado

Later on - (started work really early so will eat dinner early) either a tub of low fat Greek plain yoghurt or something bran flakes and raisins of really hungry.

Drinks - one coffee, green tea and water rest of the day
    MFW 21

Mortgage 49,452 4 years 10 months left. Total owed 69,512 planning to clear in 18 months
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 21st Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    • 21st Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone (apart from the Lycra clothing one)
    Originally posted by newgirly
    sorry .
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 21st Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 38,383 Thanks
    newgirly
    • 21st Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    No worries, I work in a factory full of men so am used to insults
    MFW 21

• olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 21st Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    I'm a bit nervous about posting a new thread on here as my usual haunt is the mortgage free board, but I am really wanting to lose weight and feel more energetic, however my actions don't actually often show that

After the last few years sorting out debts and currently trying to clear the mortgage, I appreciate how much keeping a diary and the support of other mse'ers has been so helpful in achieving that.

So I guess it's worth trying to do the same with the weight loss, hopefully writing it down will keep me from quitting as I so often do when trying to lose weight and get fit, surely if I can gain control of my finances I can do the same with my weight!

I've chosen 15 weeks as a starting target to head towards, in the past I've set challenges impossible to hit and have also done the opposite and not set time frames, neither have worked. I want to lose in the region of 30lb, so 2lb a week seemed not too much of an unrealistic target.

My plan is to work on feeling positive about it, not the usual misery of what I can't eat, but actively seek out new things to try and cook/enjoy. I want to enjoy the food I eat, not fill up on things I'm not even that bothered about. I'm veggie and keeping to a reasonably careful food budget, my family which includes pot noodle loving teenagers (yuk!) may have to sample some of my healthy cooking from time to time as well.

Excercise wise, I am I think fairly allergic to it however with nothing physically wrong with me and at 42 I have no excuse, I have plenty of matching Lycra outfits that have not had much use, so I guess I should do something

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    Originally posted by newgirly
    My tip would be to join myfitnesspal.com, put your information in to find out how many calories you should consume to achieve your goal and go with calorie counting. That way you don't have to restrict/stop eating food you enjoy, you just have to learn how to eat less of it. You'd be surprised at the calorie content of some foods.

The site also has a really good community board with loads of good (and sometimes otherwise) advice.

As for exercise, if you follow the "use more calories than are eaten" idea then exercise is not necessary for weight loss.

For health and fitness, then yes, exercise is required. But it can be something as simple as walking to begin with. And the good thing about adding exercise to your life is that you get more calories to eat

I've lost 10 stone with the help of myfitnesspal over the course of 16 months, mainly by adhering to the calorie goal it set me. As for exercise, I started out by walking a mile, then increased it over time and now I can walk pretty much any distance I want to (I think that the furthest I did in a day was 14 miles). I don't amble along any more, I easily walk at between 4-5mph (when I first started I struggled to hit 2mph). I took up cycling again and can now cycle anywhere between 12 and 50 miles (depending on how much time I have) - I cycle daily if I can (and it takes a lot to stop me, we're talking hurricanes here) and I also do a bit of cardio and strength training at the gym. I have a little way to go yet, a few more pounds to lose but I'm in a better place health wise than I was 18 months ago I just wish that I'd started strength training months before I did.

And, if you decide that myfitnesspal is not for you, then you don't ever have to visit it again. Personally, I really like it and find it supportive but I appreciate that we are all very different.

Good luck
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 21st Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 38,383 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi olgadapolga, thanks so much for the post it's very kind of you

Wow and congratulations on losing 10 stones that's amazing over 16 months is pretty impressive too! I am trying to lose alongside a guy at work who has been trying for 17 months and has lost 2 stones from a start weight of 24 st.

I am ashamed to say I am a member of Mfp but have used it sporadically when I've been on diets and not really stuck at it, I did log my start weight this morning though, but have not had time to enter the food yet, I will have a look and see what calories per day it recommends too, when I lost a stone last year I think it was around 1600 a day.

I think walking will be the best start, then perhaps cycling. I would really love to join the gym again , mainly for the lovely pool but I don't want to spend the money at the moment.

Anyway thanks for popping by
    MFW 21

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter