PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ending tenancy

Hi, hope someone might be able to help me understand the following on my tenancy agreement.

My partner and I signed 6 months extension to our tenancy agreement in Feb to Aug. Can anyone help with the following section in our agreement with regarding to ending the tenancy? It says:

'Either the landlord or the tenant may terminate this agreement by giving to the other two months notice in writing, to expire not earlier than 6 months from the start of the term'. [the start of the term being Feb].

The reason i ask that prior to this we signed a 1 year agreement and they said that if we left earlier we would have to pay the whole year. As it is we are in the process of buying now and if all goes well we may be singing May/June. It leaves us Jul and Aug in our rented house (and possibly two months rent still to pay).

Thanks.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This advice assumes you're in England or Wales.

You have a 6 month fixed term contract. Legally you are obliged to pay rent for the full 6 months. If you choose to move out on or before the end of your fixed term you do not need to give any notice. However, it is courteous to let your landlord know you'll be moving out.
  • neilwchad
    neilwchad Posts: 22
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you. That makes sense now.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Was that clause taken from the original 12 month tenancy agreement you signed? It allowed you to end the tenancy earlier than 12 months.

However if you have now signed a new 6 months extensio, it will no longer be applicable.
  • neilwchad
    neilwchad Posts: 22
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,

It is taken from our new 6 month agreement
  • I think that the notes of the most recent amendments to an agreement supersede the notes in previous agreements. So if this is written into both the 1 yr and the 6th month; the 6 month period stands as it is the most recent. I'm not entirely sure and I understand your query!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    neilwchad wrote: »
    Hi,

It is taken from our new 6 month agreement
    So the fixed term means that the tenancy will end after 6 months.
    'Either the landlord or the tenant may terminate this agreement by giving to the other two months notice in writing, to expire not earlier than 6 months from the start of the term'. [the start of the term being Feb].
    In addition, the clause allows you the option of ending the tenancy, if you wish, after........ 6 months. What a bonus!

I suspect the wording was simply copied across from the 12 month contract, where it would be meaningful. Muppet drafter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure