Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neilwchad
    • By neilwchad 20th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    neilwchad
    Ending tenancy
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    Ending tenancy 20th Mar 17 at 9:44 PM
    Hi, hope someone might be able to help me understand the following on my tenancy agreement.

My partner and I signed 6 months extension to our tenancy agreement in Feb to Aug. Can anyone help with the following section in our agreement with regarding to ending the tenancy? It says:

'Either the landlord or the tenant may terminate this agreement by giving to the other two months notice in writing, to expire not earlier than 6 months from the start of the term'. [the start of the term being Feb].

The reason i ask that prior to this we signed a 1 year agreement and they said that if we left earlier we would have to pay the whole year. As it is we are in the process of buying now and if all goes well we may be singing May/June. It leaves us Jul and Aug in our rented house (and possibly two months rent still to pay).

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 20th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    This advice assumes you're in England or Wales.

You have a 6 month fixed term contract. Legally you are obliged to pay rent for the full 6 months. If you choose to move out on or before the end of your fixed term you do not need to give any notice. However, it is courteous to let your landlord know you'll be moving out.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • neilwchad
    • By neilwchad 20th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    neilwchad
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    Thank you. That makes sense now.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 20th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 41,874 Posts
    • 48,450 Thanks
    G_M
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    Was that clause taken from the original 12 month tenancy agreement you signed? It allowed you to end the tenancy earlier than 12 months.

However if you have now signed a new 6 months extensio, it will no longer be applicable.
    • neilwchad
    • By neilwchad 21st Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    neilwchad
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    Hi,

It is taken from our new 6 month agreement
    • Peanuts&Woodstock
    • By Peanuts&Woodstock 21st Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Peanuts&Woodstock
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    I think that the notes of the most recent amendments to an agreement supersede the notes in previous agreements. So if this is written into both the 1 yr and the 6th month; the 6 month period stands as it is the most recent. I'm not entirely sure and I understand your query!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 21st Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 41,874 Posts
    • 48,450 Thanks
    G_M
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    Hi,

It is taken from our new 6 month agreement
    Originally posted by neilwchad
    So the fixed term means that the tenancy will end after 6 months.

'Either the landlord or the tenant may terminate this agreement by giving to the other two months notice in writing, to expire not earlier than 6 months from the start of the term'. [the start of the term being Feb].
    In addition, the clause allows you the option of ending the tenancy, if you wish, after........ 6 months. What a bonus!

I suspect the wording was simply copied across from the 12 month contract, where it would be meaningful. Muppet drafter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,156Posts Today

6,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin