Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 20th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 4Thanks
    dhokes
    Affordable / social housing - avoid or a does it just have a bad reputation?
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    Affordable / social housing - avoid or a does it just have a bad reputation? 20th Mar 17 at 8:52 PM
    I'm looking at purchasing a new build on a development site and there's a house available next to some social housing. Should I be concerned or not? What are other people's experiences living next to affordable/social housing?
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    Oh, it's awful. Couches on every lawn, roving gangs of kids on dirtbikes...I really don't know how a civilised person is expected to bear it.

(But my real answer is: neighbours in social housing can be good or bad, just like the other kinds of neighbours.)
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 7,055 Posts
    • 7,329 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    It depends a lot on who the social landlord is and what their letting policies are (and that can change)

Councils are at least vaguely accountable through councillors; housing associations can be a law unto themselves.

Also the size of house - 1 or 2 bedrooms may not be so bad, if its 3+ bedrooms then you'll get a family and they may start out as young children but they might not be so appealing when they turn into teenagers.
    Wins and Freebies: τøøτhραṡτε, τεα-τøώεl
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dhokes
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    Oh, it's awful. Couches on every lawn, roving gangs of kids on dirtbikes...I really don't know how a civilised person is expected to bear it.

(But my real answer is: neighbours in social housing can be good or bad, just like the other kinds of neighbours.)
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Indeed and therefore I'm hoping to read more about people's experiences.

I viewed a house on the development that I'm interested in and outside, on the street, there was a child playing with a football. I didn't really pay much attention to it but now I've just found all the planning application papers online, I've found out the house is social housing. I'm not saying that's 'bad' but it's just made me think about whether I really want to live next to such behaviour.
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 20th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Jon B
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    The fact you are thinking about it means any future buyer when you decide to sell will think the same...
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 20th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 6,800 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    If it has RTB, it will soon be in the hands of greedy private landlords.

What about those in "social housing" have you considered how DEBT FREE people feel about living next door to DEBTORS ?
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 20th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 9,646 Posts
    • 13,106 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    What behaviour? Kicking a football in the street?

I bought a flat years ago in an area that was a mix of owner-occupiers, shared ownership, private rentals and social housing. It was fine. Lots of community projects like starting a rose garden in the area and refurbishing old bicycles. I only moved because I got a job over 200 miles away.

However, it was an established estate/area so I had a feel for it before purchasing and I knew a couple of people who also had bought flats there before I bought mine.
    Last edited by Pixie5740; 21-03-2017 at 6:21 AM.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 20th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 22,327 Posts
    • 55,612 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    I'm looking at purchasing a new build on a development site and there's a house available next to some social housing. Should I be concerned or not? What are other people's experiences living next to affordable/social housing?
    Originally posted by dhokes
    Can you afford to buy a house that isn't next door to social housing, and are there such houses available?

I wouldn't have chosen to live in an ex-Council house with neighbours who are tenants of the housing association, but it's what we could afford. It's not really an issue, we had worse with owner-occupier neighbours at the last house we rented.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 20th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 4,315 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    outside, on the street, there was a child playing with a football.
    Not sure what this has to do with the tenure of the housing?
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 20th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    JP1978
    My only thoughts are that the ones we have seen have tended to have not so much parking space - so the road will be used - this could have a knock on effect on where you will be hoping to park.

You can have good and bad in any area, HA, LA or private. We looked at new builds on an adj scheme that has some affordable housing at the start of the scheme. We have just heard a friend has moved into them and she cant believe how quiet it is, which I must admit is not what I expected!
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 20th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    rosyw
    outside, on the street, there was a child playing with a football.
    Good grief! Children actually PLAYING and OUTSIDE IN THE STREET no less!

Whatever next!????

I suggest you go & find a nice VERY isolated property - as far away from other people as possible!
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 20th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 8,512 Posts
    • 11,209 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    State owned council houses eh? Well, the state also owns Buck House:

Stone me, whatever happened to good old British attitudes of decent, fair-play & tolerance.
    • adonis
    • By adonis 20th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    adonis
    State owned council houses eh? Well, the state also owns Buck House:

Stone me, whatever happened to good old British attitudes of decent, fair-play & tolerance.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    I believe the op is concerned that the potential neighbours wont have those values.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 20th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 4,273 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I believe the op is concerned that the potential neighbours wont have those values.
    Originally posted by adonis
    But those potential neighbours may also be owner occupiers.

When we bought our first house many moons ago, the valuation report referred to the fact that the house had been built amongst council housing and that it could affect the resale value.

Reality was you couldn't have wished for nicer neighbours (and are lucky that our neighbours in our subsequent home are equally as nice)

I think the general advice is to go and see what the neighbourhood is like at different times & different days of the week - though I would imagine if its an estate with lots of families, school holidays could show the estate in a different light during the holidays than in term time.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 20th Mar 17, 11:30 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    This is why councils prefer developers to "pepper" affordable housing throughout the development, and build it in a similar style, to avoid the "them and us" problems and remove the perceived problem of "the house next to the affordable housing".
    • x-caitlin-x
    • By x-caitlin-x 20th Mar 17, 11:34 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    x-caitlin-x
    Not sure what this has to do with the tenure of the housing?
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    I was wondering the same thing. My kids are 2 and 4 and, when we buy next year I imagine there'll be a lot of football kicking going on! Yes, even though we'll be owner-occupiers
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Mar 17, 2:37 AM
    • 21,597 Posts
    • 85,312 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Good grief! Children actually PLAYING and OUTSIDE IN THE STREET no less!

Whatever next!????
    Originally posted by rosyw
    Yes, this is the unacceptable face of poverty in the UK today.

Social housing parents, unable to afford iPads for virtual football, send kids outside with a real one.

I never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.
    I used to suffer with kleptomania, but now I take something for it.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 21st Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    After living in a housing association house which started off nice. Then some people moved out and the neighbours from hell moved in and it wasn't just one lot of neighbours it was a few houses. I would avoid living near any social housing.
    Married 09/09/09
    • kimbyanne
    • By kimbyanne 21st Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    kimbyanne
    We live on a new development in shared ownership which on the plans is classed as "affordable housing" so the same as the housing association properties which are the other side of the development.

I would probably ask if they were shared ownership or housing association. From the experience of living here, "our" end with the private and shared ownership is much quieter than the side of the development with housing association properties. That doesn't mean the housing association side is bad/rough just that there is a larger amount of families and children on that side so it's busier.

as others have said, you can get bad neighbours in private owner occupier housing as well. There is a family down the road from us who cause more problems than anyone else and they own!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 21st Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    Gers
    it's down to people not places. Bad neighbours are living in owner-occupied houses whilst good neighbours are out there too.

I recall seeing an episode of something like 'can't pay, won't pay' or similar when a nasty foul mouthed aggressive debtor was a well known (and still in the papers) actor from a BBC soap! Another equally horrid debtor was a well known rugby player. They both behaved like neighbours from hell outside their beautiful detached homes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,138Posts Today

7,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Young journalist/broadcaster looking for a mentor? Great opportunity here... https://t.co/aojKD6t5Ti (pls share with anyone suitable)

• Today's twitter poll: For those who are working, if you lost your job today, how long would you be able to still pay all the bills for?

• RT @itvMLshow: Want to be a part of our audience and get the chance to ask Martin a question, LIVE? Here's where you can apply: https://t.c?

• Follow Martin