Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cb1211
    • By Cb1211 20th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cb1211
    Mortgage approval when in overdraft
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    Mortgage approval when in overdraft 20th Mar 17 at 8:28 PM
    My boyfriend and I are looking to buy our first house, hopefully starting the process over the next few months. However, my boyfriend has 2 accounts where he is in his overdraft. One account, he goes into marginally on a monthly basis and the other one he doesn't spend out of, yet is £1000 into it. He has been putting money into this account each month to get out of it.

Having done experian credit checks, we both have an 'excellent' rating. We haven't had any financial advice from anyone yet, just worry this will negatively impact upon us. We also have the issue that if he gets out of that overdraft in the next couple of months, banks will want to see evidence of solid banks statements for a few months prior.

Anyone had any experience of this?
Page 1
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    What other loans do you have? £1,000 isn't a huge amount on its own and unless he has lots of credit card debt he shouldn't have a massive problem.

They will look at it and it may cause a question for the underwriter but if your affordability still checks out fine along with your decent credit history then you should be fine.

Depends what your salaries are and what percentage you have free each month.
    • Cb1211
    • By Cb1211 20th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cb1211
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    He also has around £2000 on a credit card, but he is paying that off at a quicker rate, much higher than the minimum payment which will hopefully be looked upon positively.

We have a combined income of £46000, with only that credit card payment and my car finance of £200 as monthly commitments.
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    Still not a massive debt.

Don't forget to add all your total debt up and also your total outgoings. It doesn't sound like it will be an issue though. And making more than the monthly payment certainly looks good.
    • David White
    • By David White 21st Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    David White
    • 21st Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    It will largely be lender specific.

Some lenders naturally wouldn't be keen on heavy overdraft usage but there would be plenty of lenders where it wouldn't be a problem.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,337Posts Today

8,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin