Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 20th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 599Posts
    • 101Thanks
    kuepper
    Are these advisories significant?
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    Are these advisories significant? 20th Mar 17 at 8:18 PM
    Nearside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear Sub-frame has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Rear Sub-frame has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

trying to decide whether to buy a Ka and these are on the MOT, they don't sound much but I'd probably rather get them done if it wasn't going to cost too much, or negotiate price down
Page 1
    • patman99
    • By patman99 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 7,823 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    patman99
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    Depends on the age of the Ka. These sort of things should not be showing-up on a car under 10 years old, or with less than 100,000 miles.

Come to think of it, I have only ever had such an advisory on one car out of all those I have owned.

At a guess, you would be looking at 500 to fix the issues.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 285/ 1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF 194/3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    Depends on the age of the Ka. These sort of things should not be showing-up on a car under 10 years old, or with less than 100,000 miles.
    Originally posted by patman99
    Is not the correct answer. They can show up in as little as 30,000 miles on a car that has spent all its time driving round town which a Ka is likely to have done.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 20th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    kuepper
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    it's 2006, 60000 miles. As it's only 666 I don't think they'd knock 500 off
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    Easy decision. Walk away.
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 20th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    worn rubber bushes are probably less to do with the mileage and more to do with the age of the car. Remember that the MOT is the basic bare absolute minimum of road standard, if I got these advisories I'd be replacing bushes asap.
    so to answer you're question, if you're not a mechanic where you can change bushes/wishbones yourself then the car will need money spent on it before its next MOT, if that's not what you're wanting then perhaps this isn't the car for you.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 20th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 12,924 Posts
    • 8,153 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    lol at walk away!

Ops buying a banger for goodness sake and you are suggesting she walks away because rubber bushes are deteriating.

On a ka whole new arms will cost very little !
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 20th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    agreed, perfect if you can fit them yourself. OP asked if they are significant.... they are.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 20th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 4,450 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    OP I don't think these are major, But something to save towards for next MOT. Infact the rear subframe bushings I would try and haggle in to be done by the dealer as part of the sale TBH as they will cost the most to have done. front gas McPherson struts are not that much to have replaced on these.
    I don't like the price tag though, 666!! OUCH even the number should send shivers down your spine, any hoo, I wouldn't pay quite so much for a KA in this condition, 480-520 max with rear sub bushings done would be the target I would aim for or walk away.
    I'm surprised no one has picked up on the fact its a KA with 60k on a 2006 and no rust mentioned near anchor points, outer sill and inner sills and lower doors and power steering leaking from all seals imaginable on a power rack.

At that price bracket theres just too many KA's to look at for that money and the dealer would know that too perhaps theres room for some negotiation.
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 21st Mar 17, 12:24 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    kuepper
    I don't like the price tag though, 666!! OUCH even the number should send shivers down your spine, any hoo, I wouldn't pay quite so much for a KA in this condition, 480-520 max with rear sub bushings done would be the target I would aim for or walk away.
    I'm surprised no one has picked up on the fact its a KA with 60k on a 2006 and no rust mentioned near anchor points, outer sill and inner sills and lower doors and power steering leaking from all seals imaginable on a power rack.

At that price bracket theres just too many KA's to look at for that money and the dealer would know that too perhaps theres room for some negotiation.
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.
    i've been looking for a few weeks now via autotrader.co.uk, gumtree and ebay and tbh this is the cheapest ive seen for that age with 12 mths mot within reasonable distance of my home
    Last edited by kuepper; 21-03-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 13,967 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's an original-shape Ka. If it's not rotten, THAT's the significant bit...

A bit of suspension wear and tear is only to be expected.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 21st Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4,036 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    lol at walk away!

Ops buying a banger for goodness sake and you are suggesting she walks away because rubber bushes are deteriating.

Originally posted by arcon5
    Why do you have this habit of inferring posters' gender as female without any evidence to suggest it?
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 21st Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6,991 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    First point to note is that every mot inspector is different and the car might have been tested by a newly qualified ultra keen tester. Second point to note is that the previous owner may well have had the advisories fixed.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 22nd Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    lol at walk away!

Originally posted by arcon5
    There another car waiting at the same/similar price without these issues. Of course walk away.

Would only consider buying this car if I was a hobby mechanic who could change the rubber bushes myself.
    • davidwood123
    • By davidwood123 22nd Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    davidwood123
    Pretty minor issues on a near scrap car worth the same as an entry level mountain bike.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,851Posts Today

4,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin