Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mosser01568
    • By mosser01568 20th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mosser01568
    B W legal
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    B W legal 20th Mar 17 at 8:16 PM
    Hi all, I am after some advise please,
    My partner had a parking fine of £60.00, due to one thing or another she didn't reply to it in time and the fine grew to £128.00. She set up a direct debit to pay the fine as she is ill and money is tight for her,
    On the 16th Feb 17 my partner received a letter from B. W Legal as follows,
    We write with reference to the above matter and our previous telephone conversations.
    We confirm that we have received the total sum of £60.00. Accordingly, your debt under the above Account Number is satisfied which brings this matter to a close.
    then today 16th March she received a letter saying that the direct debit of £0 had not been paid and that an immediate payment of £00 is now due, at the head of the letter it says balance due £68.00,
    She spoke to them today to question the matter and was told that both letters were a mistake and the balance of £68.00 is still owing,
    My question is can they do this???
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 20th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 16,497 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    Redx
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    they are a law firm and can and do almost anything they wish to

until it gets to court in front of a judge , they can do as they please as its an unregulated industry

you could complain to the SRA and enclose copies of all the paperwork
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 20th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    The SRA are as in bed with this scam as all the rest, dirty money is easy money.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 20th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 6,336 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    The SRA are as in bed with this scam as all the rest, dirty money is easy money.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Yes, everyone should be aware of any solicitor who is a member of the SRA ..... you might get scammed
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    Yes, everyone should be aware of any solicitor who is a member of the SRA ..... you might get scammed
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    They could always ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with all these complaints which violate just about every code of practice they have.
    That is how you avoid getting roped in to the scam.

Private parking is, still is and always will be a scam, no matter how many judges, solicitors or MP's warm to the idea.
    It is a scam and all those involved are scammers along with all those that cover and help them.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 20th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    • 16,497 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    Redx
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    It is a scam and all those involved are scammers along with all those that cover and help them.
    some of them are PERVS too
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 51,501 Posts
    • 65,091 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 21st Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    she didn't reply to it in time and the fine grew to £128.00. She set up a direct debit to pay the fine as she is ill and money is tight for her,
    She can't have set up a DD to pay this. Maybe a Standing Order?

What a shame, this wasn't to be paid and isn't a real fine. Having said that, the only way to resolve these nasty threats from Excel is tending to be by defending well in court, like this poster just did:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5614752

Stop ringing the scum. Has any money come out of her Bank Account?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• yotmon
    • By yotmon 21st Mar 17, 1:10 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    yotmon
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:10 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:10 AM
    Hi all, I am after some advise please,
    My partner had a parking fine of £60.00, due to one thing or another she didn't reply to it in time and the fine grew to £128.00. She set up a direct debit to pay the fine as she is ill and money is tight for her,
    On the 16th Feb 17 my partner received a letter from B. W Legal as follows,
    We write with reference to the above matter and our previous telephone conversations.
    We confirm that we have received the total sum of £60.00. Accordingly, your debt under the above Account Number is satisfied which brings this matter to a close.
    then today 16th March she received a letter saying that the direct debit of £0 had not been paid and that an immediate payment of £00 is now due, at the head of the letter it says balance due £68.00,
    She spoke to them today to question the matter and was told that both letters were a mistake and the balance of £68.00 is still owing,
    My question is can they do this???
    Originally posted by mosser01568
    You should have accepted their letter as read and not bothered to contact them. You had proof that they had accepted your payment of £60.00, which covered their 'fine'. The rest was just add-ons that had nothing to do with the original invoice. I would have loved to have seen their attempt to explain to a judge what the actual 'costs' were and being forced to provide a breakdown on how it was conceived.
    • arthurx1234
    • By arthurx1234 21st Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    arthurx1234
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    Sra
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    Still waiting for my reply from SRA 4 weeks after their own deadline
    Arthur
    Last edited by arthurx1234; 21-03-2017 at 8:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    BREXIT " TIME FOR THE BRITISH LION TO ROAR AGAIN"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

3,158Users online

Martin's Twitter