Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carcasal
    • By carcasal 20th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    carcasal
    Now or after Brexit?
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    Now or after Brexit? 20th Mar 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello,

I am investing in a global shares fund (Vanguard), a cash fund (Henderson) and a property fund (BlackRock). I have a bit money I want to put to work... the question is, is it better to invest it now or after next week when May invokes article 50? (i.e. can my money buy more shares now and therefore better or will the shares be too expensive now?)

Thanks,
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 89,853 Posts
    • 56,515 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    is it better to invest it now or after next week when May invokes article 50?
    What difference do you think it will make?

can my money buy more shares now and therefore better or will the shares be too expensive now?
    The triggering of Article 50 will not make any difference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 20th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 5,087 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    Hello,

I am investing in a global shares fund (Vanguard), a cash fund (Henderson) and a property fund (BlackRock). I have a bit money I want to put to work... the question is, is it better to invest it now or after next week when May invokes article 50? (i.e. can my money buy more shares now and therefore better or will the shares be too expensive now?)

Thanks,
    Originally posted by carcasal
    depends where blackrock investing
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • BLB53
    • By BLB53 20th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    BLB53
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    How long will you be investing your money?
    If you choose index funds you can never outperform the market.
    If you choose managed funds there's a high probability you will underperform index funds.
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 20th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    coyrls
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    There would probably be an effect on the market (up or down), if she didn't invoke article 50. What makes you think that markets haven't noticed that the UK is going to invoke article 50 towards the end of March and that there will be a reaction when it happens?
    • carcasal
    • By carcasal 20th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carcasal
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    I see it as a long term investment. I don't intend to withdraw the money any time soon
    • carcasal
    • By carcasal 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carcasal
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    Well my initial thought was about the pound getting weaker and therefore buying less shares, not necessarily about the funds since they are global
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    Hello,

Thanks,
    lol sounds like the Moneybox app and is exactly what my Moneybox Fox strategy invests in.

Depends on your strategy and what you are comfortable with. Personally, I already own two static caravans and a double unit mobile home is available which with finance I can afford which will virtually double my rental income. But I'm holding off until the final Brexit deal is agreed which as I understand it will be two years away. Being in France is relevant.

There could be some market jitters when Brexit is announced which will make the market cheaper. On the other hand maybe not since most people will be aware that Brexit is due to be announced so if there is going to be jitters it would have already happened. However the FTSE 100 today is up 4.85 while the pound has slipped after a week of gains. Is that an indication of the Pound being affected by the Brexit announcement? But overall I would wait and see what the market does. It's not really much of a wait.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 20-03-2017 at 9:22 PM.
    • carcasal
    • By carcasal 20th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carcasal
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    Yes that's exactly what I am using although I haven't really put much money, so I am wanting to put a bigger sum and see how it performs!

You are right with the FTSE 100 and that's my main reason to wait, the question was if the pound falls catastrophically and then the value of shares spikes... anyway we cannot know for sure but thanks for the help!
    • Linton
    • By Linton 20th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 8,614 Posts
    • 8,578 Thanks
    Linton
    Prediction - The market wont do anything very much, perhaps go up a bit in response to the formal Brexit letter.

Why? Well everybody knows that it's going to happen. So if it worried them they would have sold already. Other people will have held off buying until it has happened. So when they start buying prices will rise.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Prediction - The market wont do anything very much, perhaps go up a bit in response to the formal Brexit letter.

Why? Well everybody knows that it's going to happen. So if it worried them they would have sold already. Other people will have held off buying until it has happened. So when they start buying prices will rise.
    Originally posted by Linton
    Maybe but not necessarily. Could be that they are waiting until the last minute because there is still some doubt over when and if Brexit will be triggered. It doesn't take very much to spook the market. one institution sells, they all sell. In fact I'm counting on it because right now my cash is out of my instant access accounts and in my current account. But really just wishful thinking but I could get my wish. Long shot.
    • stringer_bell
    • By stringer_bell 21st Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    stringer_bell
    i can see where your coming from. we are in the unique situation of the pound falling so any us held investments will have risen. if he invests now the pound may recover or drop further.. thus a quick loss or a quick gain
    • Jeems
    • By Jeems 21st Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Jeems
    I dont believe there will be any major movements. Triggering article 50 means formal discussions will take place but it could be up to 2 years before anything happens. To me, the situation will remain the same as it is today - i.e we're all still in the dark
    • Hodor1
    • By Hodor1 21st Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Hodor1
    I don't think it will make any difference when you invest. Any movement due to triggering of article 50 will have already been factored in.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 89,853 Posts
    • 56,515 Thanks
    dunstonh
    For it to make a difference you would need a significant number of investors to wake up on the 29th March and go "what? what? what? The UK is leaving the EU???? When did they vote to do that? Next you will be telling me that Trump is the US president.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 21-03-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 21st Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Now or after Brexit?
    ... now or after next week when May invokes article 50?
    Those are two different questions.

Article 50 will make no difference. We all know it's happening.

Brexit itself is still years away, and no-one knows what it means yet.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 21st Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 4,131 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    Brexit itself is still years away, and no-one knows what it means yet.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    brexit means brexit! anybody who doesn't know that should be sent to the tower of london

(not kidding - i expect that's may's plan, if there's any more whingeing.)
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 22nd Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 2,478 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    JohnRo
    It means an extra £35... no, don't go there.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

517Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin